ka-Bloom.org Forum

ka-Bloomie Reviews

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane what a beautifully written, articulate and riveting review! You have worked so tirelessly at promoting Haven and now to have your review in print is a tribute to all your hard work. Congratulations! Maybe this review will be noticed by other journalists and publications and will be qouted or republished.

Ka-bloomies ROCK!! :cheer:

Kim

Jane, how exciting for you, ka-bloom, Haven, Orlando and us, of course. Your article is amazingly written and it is my hope that it is picked up by other news agencies. Thank you for your continuing work to see that Haven gets the attention it deserves. We love you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I saw Haven last night, and I though I can't come close to Jane's eloquence, here goes.

I found it powerful, moving, gut wrenching, and heartbreaking. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it left me shaken. Both stories were strong, but of course, I felt more for Shy's story.

The acting was superb. Everyone was at the top of their game for this little movie. Zoe was amazing, and indeed, Orlando has never been better. Whether he was joking around with his friends, or pouring his sadness into the phone, he was Shy. He and Zoe both made me cry.

The story/time shifts were not hard to follow for either Gary, or myself. It was very much like Crash. They would switch back and forth through the movie, but they always signaled it pretty clearly. For example, there would be a moment of memorable dialog from someone off camera, which you would later see focused upon. Or even a sound in the background. Yes, you have to pay attention, but don't we always pay pretty close attention when Orlando is onscreen? :wink:

I loved it.

I know that seeing it again will only make me love it more. I hope that people see this movie. Not only to see Orlando at his best, but to support movies like this in general. We need to remind the studios that thinking people like to be entertained too.

Bravo Orlando! :clap:

Thanks, Cayenne! I'm so glad you got to see the movie. Ladies, I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping my small town will get Haven eventually. I saw the preview today when viewing The Illusionist. I am really, really excited.

Sorry for the :jacked: , but I'm overwhelmed. I never expected to see the preview HERE!

:hug:

WW

This is a wonderful, original, and thought-provoking film. It is different, dark, and fully deserves its R rating, but absolutely worth seeing.

The viewer is transported effortlessly into the dark side of the Cayman Islands, and while this world is certainly less picturesque than Middle Earth, Ibelin, or the Caribbean, it is no less real. The narrative jumps from one story to another, but the style reinforces the feeling of a world spinning out of control. It's not at all difficult to follow, and it is very impressive how well you know the individual characters after just 98 minutes. All of the performances are first rate. Orlando conveys the joy and tenderness of first love beautifully, and he is heartbreaking in the second half of the story. Some scenes were difficult to watch, not just the one that I expected, but because Shy's pain comes through so clearly, and in such contrast.

Anyone who has had doubts about Orlando's acting abilities needs to see this. When you think about the range of characters he's played in his short career, from epic to comedy to drama, you can't help admiring the choices he's made to stretch and grow as an actor. As in Elizabethtown, there are no big moments or CGI effects, and he is brilliant.

I predict that Frank E Flowers, if he chooses, will become a significant and respected film maker, and that his gem of a debut will be get the recognition it deserves. The cast and crew should be very proud of their work on this movie.

I saw this on a weekday afternoon with 8 other people, who all seemed engrossed in the story. Three couples (one in their 60s, two in their 20s), a guy in his 20s, and a woman in her 30s.

Go see it!

The Atlanta contingent went to the preview tonight, along with about 250 other people! I was very pleased to see such a large turnout.

I have to agree with Cayenne and Christine. I had no trouble at all following the story, even when it moved back and forth in time. The acting was superb all the way around and there were several places where we all got to laugh. Shy and Andrea's story is definitely the heart of the film, and Orlando and Zoe did an outstanding job. Orlando, particularly, gives a performance that is emotionally powerful and supremely sensitive. If he can do this well with his first full length film, Frank E. Flowers has a great future in front of him.

I'm so glad I got to see this, and can't wait to see it again this weekend.

Krissy

:2thumbs: I just got back a little bit ago from meeting up with some of my fellow ka-Bloomies for the Atlanta screening of Haven. They really gathered a diverse group of people for this viewing and it was a packed theater.

Even though I had seen the clip of the first 8 minutes of the movie online last week, I was totally engrossed from the beginning. The time shifts didn't bother me at all and I never felt lost, so I can't really see what the critics are talking about there. I didn't have any problems keeping up and following the stories. I'm sure most everyone knows by now and has been warned, but the language is extremely rough. I'm glad I was prepared for that ahead of time.

The acting was fabulous all around and I don't think I've seen Orlando give a finer performance than this one. If anyone seeing this movie still says he can't act, then they must be blind. I don't mean that to be rude, but it's the truth in my opinion. He was at his best. You'll see Orlando/Shy in a whole wide range of emotions and he pulls each one off believably. He can go from being playful and adorable, joking around with a friend to completely devastated and at the end of his rope. Flawless. He'll make you laugh and then break your heart. I was never more proud of him. :wub: I realize I'm partial because of the way I feel about him, but I'm being completely honest here.

The one thing I didn't expect about this film is how much parts of it made me laugh, and most of the audience seemed to be enjoying it from what I could tell. They seemed to react very well to it. I particularly enjoyed Shy's exchanges with his friend Kimo and also the character of Fritz. They were all a hoot at times and you'll get a real kick out of Kimo's bike set-up. :lmao:

Bottom line.If there's any way you can see this film, get out there and DO IT! It's worth the fuel, worth the money, worth your time. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My only real complaint is that they took my pretty pass/ticket that I wanted to keep that had a mini pic of the Haven poster on it. :( But we did get a small sized Haven poster so I really can't complain. :clap:

Oh, I forgot to tell you.I got my wrist band in the mail yesterday. Just in time to wear it tonight! :) Thanks, Jane. Perfect timing.

I was so moved by the ending, that I had forgotten how many times I laughed.

Fritz was over the top. He was so full of sh!t, and proudly so.

And the Shy/Kimo combo was adorable "Daaaawwwwg". Kimo had a name for his "bike", but I can't remember what it was (guess that I will have to see the movie again :wink: ).

I believe it was '1 Stunna'! :lol:

Thanks, Christine, Krissy, and Les for your thoughtfully written reviews. I can honestly say that you should see the movie more than once, and not just to help out the box office numbers. I'm going to do my darndest to get out there sometime this weekend and see it again.

Wonderful reviews, Christine, Krissy, and Les. And I'm glad the wristband arrived just in time, Les. :) And I also echo Faye's suggestion to see the movie more than once, because it's the kind of movie that will have you discovering new things, with each viewing, that you hadn't noticed before. I can hardly wait to go see it again this Friday.

Great reviews, ladies ! :clap: I am so looking forward to this weekend when I can see Haven in Atlanta.

Speaking of Atlanta, has the movie been switched to the Tara Theater for it's run, or is it still going to be at the Atlanta Station Theater? The Haven website refers you to Fandango, and they have it listed only at the Tara Theater. Is that bad? :huh:

Great reviews, ladies ! :clap: I am so looking forward to this weekend when I can see Haven in Atlanta.

Speaking of Atlanta, has the movie been switched to the Tara Theater for it's run, or is it still going to be at the Atlanta Station Theater? The Haven website refers you to Fandango, and they have it listed only at the Tara Theater. Is that bad? :huh:

Annabelle, it appears that the Tara is the only theater where HAVEN will be showing in Atlanta- at least for this weekend.

Check the coordination thread for more details.: go here

Krissy

One word-Riveted! Haven is far from the typical movie that I go to see, but within a short time I was totally "into" this movie. So much so, that and I really mean it, I didn't think about Orlando (the gorgeous man.well until certain scenes rolled around), but was absorbed with the character of Shy. Orlando was amazing, one moment just a tender and sweet island boy, then a young man experiencing a depth of love that breaks his heart, next he is cocky and strutting with his friends, next writhering in self loathing and loneliness, and finally raging with anger and revenge but still with a conscience. Wow, any reviewer who says this man can't act should turn in this/her pen! I am still moved and affected by this movie, the character Shy, and Orlando's performance. As we were leaving the theater a woman ahead of us said that she couldn't believe anyone would make a movie that had "no redeeming characters." Accckkkk! Do all movies have to leave you feeling good? This one won't at all and it is its tragic characters that make it such a powerful movie. I for one think the fast pace of flashbacks mixed in with the present reinforced the shock and drama factor. Also, (don't read this if you haven't seen the movie yet) the ending leaves you hanging and not really sure of what happened next.ohhh, that hurts, but that fact, too, is perfect for this dark little movie. As some one else has said, spend the money, drive the miles, don't wait for the DVD, go and see this movie. You won't be disappointed!

OOh, and the KB reviews come rolling in! :clap: I am so jealous, of course, but delighted that so many of you are not only getting to see this movie, but loving it too.

Orlando was amazing, one moment just a tender and sweet island boy, then a young man experiencing a depth of love that breaks his heart, next he is cocky and strutting with his friends, next writhering in self loathing and loneliness, and finally raging with anger and revenge but still with a conscience

Thanks Nez, you know you just cranked up the anticipation about 10 more notches for me. I will be one of the ones that wil have to wait for the DVD. I wonder if the local HMV would mind me camping on the doorstep from now unti it's release? :blink:

Thank you everyone for your reviews, I hope many more of you get to see it.and tell us all about it. :cheer:

Wow! As if Rebecca's review didn't give me enough to think about, the rest of you certainly did! Unfortunately, I will most likely have to wait for the DVD too. It kills me to say that. Seriously, I can hardly stand it.

Thanks for the fantastic reviews, ka-bloomies. I love them (and hate them all at the same time, since I can't get to a theater.)

Jeep

I will keep reading them, too, with gratitude. Bring 'em on, ladies. I saw the preview yesterday when I viewed "The Illusionist." I never thought that movie would make it to my town. But it did. I'm hopeful that "Haven" will, as well.

:hug:

Barbara

Thank you for all these fantastic reviews, ladies. :clap: :cheer: I only wished the critics could write the same things about the movie. That, and that the DVD's released soon.

You took the words right out of my mouth Livdh.

xx S

That is great Jane! Now more people will get to read your great review. :cheer: I just read Les, Christine, Cayanne, Krissy and Nezisme's reviews and they are really making me even more excited to see this movie. And I will be seeing it tomorrow! I am going with a friend of mine to the 2:20 p.m. show in Cambridge and after reading your reviews, I just know my friend will like it too. She liked Crash, so she should like Haven. So as soon I recover and can think straight again, I will give my review as well. :) I just know Orlando is going to blow me away with his performance. :throb:

Kim

Well, I'm back. :star: :star: :star: :star: A real gem of a movie. You indeed come out of it feeling that you can't trust anyone, that no one is good, that everybody is full of s**t, that love is of no importance. I feel sorry for these people. God, I wish that they had fleshed out the part of Andrea's father, you could make a whole movie on the relationship between Hammer and the father. And I wish we had seen more of Shy's mother, I wish we had more of everybody's back story. What a thoughtful movie. It left me wanting more, a lot more.

And the jumping between stories and the interconnectedness and the time shifts, all well done. I had no trouble following it all, though it was surprising to get to the end and be reminded that it was also the beginning.

And I loved the little "greek choruses" that Flowers scattered throughout the movie, the 3 witches snorting coke with Pippa at the beginning and the bicycles riding in circles around first Shy and then Andrea, sending them on their way. I was dizzy and I wasn't even high.

I really want to see this again. My heart is broken. Poor Shy, poor Andrea, they're the ones who won't recover, because they fell the farthest. The others will continue on their way.

I hope you all get to see this movie, it's worth waiting for.

Excuse this disjointed review. I'm sort of filling in around what others have said.

:yahoo:

Aliza