ka-Bloom.org Forum

From the Tennessean.Com:

Hundreds of starry-eyed teens line red carpet

Celebs in town for Franklin premiere of 'Elizabethtown'

By ASHLEY NORTHINGTON

Staff Writer

FRANKLIN — Hundreds of screaming teens and their parents lined up — some as early as 4 a.m. — along Main Street in Franklin yesterday to catch a glimpse of their favorite stars before a local premiere of the new Cameron Crowe film Elizabethtown.

Joining Crowe, who wrote and directed the film, and star Orlando Bloom for the premiere were singers Patti Griffin, Gary Rossington, Bonnie and Rebecca Bramlett, Clint Black, LeAnn Rimes, Nancy Wilson, Wynonna Judd and Sara Evans.

"It's so cute to see these little girls screaming," said Evans, whose song, A Real Fine Place to Start, was No. 1 in the country last week. "I would be screaming too if I were a teenager."

It took seven Franklin city police officers and seven private security guards from Rock Solid Security in Nashville to contain the crowd. About 700 people stood along the red carpet while many other fans lined the rooftops or hung out of their apartment windows along Main Street in Franklin's historic downtown district.

Bloom, Crowe and Rimes were among those who took their time walking up and down the red carpet to make sure they signed as many autographs and

posed for as many pictures as possible.

"Orlando (Bloom) and LeAnn (Rimes) were so nice," screamed Becca Levins, who got Bloom to autograph her pink cell phone, hand-painted with fingernail polish.

"He joked with me about Nashville being a good place to

live. I told him, 'You should move here.' "

This is the second premiere brought to the Nashville area. Country Music Television and local event planner Randi Lesnick orchestrated the event. Lesnick also coordinated the local premiere of Friday Night Lights last October.

Crowe said he wrote Elizabethtown "because it wasn't New York or L.A."

"The story just arrived completely," Crowe said. "It was truly in my heart."

Bloom said he loved the script and was inspired to star in it because of Crowe. "He writes really heartfelt stories and I loved the character."

Bloom playsan athletic shoe designer named Drew who gets fired over the failure of a sneaker design that caused his company to lose millions. When he learns his father has died, he returns to his small hometown, Elizabethtown, Ky. En route, he meets flight attendant Claire (Kristen Dunst) who changes the course of his life. With her help, he discovers new possibilities for his future and finds love.

Elizabethtown will be released nationally Oct. 14. •

From Coming Soon. Net:

Crowe and Bloom on Elizabethtown

Source: Sarah and Dennis Burnside September 19, 2005

Elizabethtown writer/director Cameron Crowe and star Orlando Bloom attended the film's Nashville, Tennessee premiere on Sunday and ComingSoon.net caught up with both to talk about the Paramount film.

The event, hosted by Country Music Television, featured a live outdoor concert by Patty Griffin and I Nine, who performed their songs from the soundtrack. The event was attended by such talent as Clint Black, Wynonna Judd, Kate Bosworth, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kix Brooks of Brooks & Dunn, Nancy Wilson, Sara Evans, LeAnn Rimes, Tony Brown and more.

Elizabethtown follows the story of Drew Baylor (Bloom), a man down on his luck, as he journeys to his roots in small-town Kentucky to bury his father. Drew finds new life in his interactions with his colorful extended family, and in his unexpected romance with Claire (Kirsten Dunst), a quirky and persistent airline stewardess. Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, Bruce McGill, Judy Greer and Jessica Biel co-star.

With music being such a big part of Crowe's movies, we wondered if the filmmaker hears specific songs in his heads as he writes or whether it is something that comes along much later in the process. "I do, I do!," Crowe revealed. "There were songs like Ryan Adams' song 'Come Pick Me Up' that was sort of part of the writing. The Patty Griffin song 'Long Ride Home' you just try and earn with your script. Most great songs are their own movie without your help. So you just try to earn them really."

Crowe's films are very eclectic with different types of stories. We asked where he gets his inspiration from. "Sometimes music and sometimes just a feeling. Like I always love the Hal Ashby movie 'Harold and Maude' and 'Shampoo' too… and I think Ashby was on mind a little bit writing this movie because he used music well and he let scenes kind of breathe and it felt like slice of life and that's what I wanted 'Elizabethtown' to feel like. Parts of the movie play almost in real time you know and that was one of the goals in writing it."

Orlando Bloom also talked about what it was like working with Crowe. "He's the hero man. Hero of the hour, always wanted to work with Cameron and this for me was a dream opportunity," Bloom said. "We got to work on something that was a really personal project for Cameron and became a very personal project for me."

We asked both what they are currently working on. Crowe mentioned he is "working on a new script that's a comedy with some characters I'm just having fun writing stories for." Bloom is shooting the two "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequels and was mum on the details. "More of the same AND MORE!".

Elizabethtown opens in theaters on October 14th.

From PRWeb:

Cameron Crowes's Latest Film 'Elizabethtown' Mirrors Recent Elizabethtown Story

Hollywood comes to Elizabethtown. The premise of the latest Cameron Crowe movie "Elizabethtown" mirrors the life of a local business owner and was filmed in front of her retail store, Meredith Avenue.

(PRWEB) September 19, 2005 -- What are the odds that a movie would be made about Elizabethtown, Kentucky and that the premise of this movie would mirror the life of a local business owner, Kelly Meredith Elmore? Her dad, Federal Judge Ron Meredith died 10 years ago. Soon after his death, she returned to Elizabethtown to find herself and start her own business.

Ironically, the new Cameron Crowe Hollywood movie, "Elizabethtown," in which the main character returns to Elizabethtown after the death of his father, was filmed in front of her retail store. Kelly would love to share her story about how her father inspired her to believe that against all odds, she could come home to this small, wonderfully ordinary place and do extraordinary things with her life. Her dad would be overwhelmed with pride, as Kelly is, to have her business associated with this film. When others doubt that she can take a business that began at her dining room table and have national success, she perseveres with passion, believing in her dream. Kelly knows without a doubt that anything is possible, even in Elizabethtown.

Meredith Avenue is an online store that specializes in personalized and unique gifts which were an attraction to the film crew during the making of "Elizabethtown." Meredith Avenue began as Personally For You in 2001 as a retail store located at 220 West Dixie Avenue, Elizabethtown, KY. With a desire to reach a national market, Meredith Avenue launched its online store, www.meredithavenue.com in January 2005.

# # #

ABC News:

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. Sep 19, 2005 — After seeing the U.S. premiere of Cameron Crowe's "Elizabethtown," Renee Shaw was pleased that it didn't depict her state in a negative light, even if the movie ran a little long for her taste.

"It had a lot of emotion and realism that movies today sometimes lack," said Shaw, 32, a producer with Kentucky Educational Television.

Crowe screened the movie in its namesake city on Saturday, the first U.S. showing of the film. The movie previously was screened at the Venice Film Festival and the Toronto Film Festival.

"This is a personal movie that I knew I had to come here to make," Crowe told those in the theater.

The movie stars Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst and Susan Sarandon.

The 2-hour, 20-minute version of "Elizabethtown" seen Saturday isn't the final cut, which will be released nationally Oct. 14. Crowe said that he wanted the people here to see a "director's cut" that "is longer and has more soul."

During the screening in Elizabethtown, audience members cheered whenever they spotted a local building or sign.

"But I had tears in my eyes when he got off at our exit. It's home, and it's awesome that somebody wants to share that with the world," said Kelly O'Brien, a lifelong Elizabethtown resident, referring to the film's main character, played by Bloom.

Thanks for collecting and posting these news articles about the Elizabethtown premiers in E-Town and Louisville, Movie Imp. :hug:

The enthusiasm surrounding this movie is contagious, and soon it will spread all over the world. I think movie-lovers and music-lovers are going to be in for a big treat, not to mention Orlando fans who get to see our guy in modern clothes for a change ! :w00t:

Is it October yet ?

From MTV.com:

Orlando Bloom Breaks Hearts As 'Elizabethtown' Storms The South

Fans wait for hours in Tennessee and Kentucky for a glimpse of the star.

NASHVILLE — Hollywood hit the heartland over the weekend, and everywhere it went, heartbreak wasn't far behind.

Orlando Bloom and director Cameron Crowe barnstormed the South in support of their forthcoming film, "Elizabethtown."

Crowe and Music City luminaries like LeAnn Rimes, Wynonna Judd and Clint Black crowded the red carpet in Franklin, Tennessee, on Sunday night, but judging by the high-pitched screams and handcrafted signs overflowing the carpet's edge, it was clear that it was Bloom the fans had come to see.

"I am so sweaty, and so tired, and so excited," 17-year-old Elizabeth McClary of Bell Buckle, Tennessee (pop. 463), said. "I've been waiting here for three hours!"

Bloom's every step was greeted with ear-piercing shrieks as he inched his way toward the Franklin Theater on Fourth and Main Streets. As a hazy sun set on the small town just 20 miles south of Nashville, Bloom mugged for every camera, waved at every fan and even managed to blot out the mocking hollers of "Legolas!" from teens camped out on the rooftops. It took him an hour to navigate the one-block-long carpet.

"Billy Wilder once told me, 'Make 'em personal,' " Crowe said of his filmmaking philosophy. "'But make 'em for the people.' "

And so the cast and crew of the film left the been-there, done-that populations of New York and Los Angeles behind and returned to the region of the country where the film was shot: the great, green hills of Kentucky and Tennessee. All weekend long, Crowe and Bloom road-tripped through the two states in fully branded "Elizabethtown" buses, drumming up support for the film.

The weekend began with events in Crowe's father's Kentucky hometown — and the film's namesake — Elizabethtown. There, beneath a cool drizzle, Crowe, wife (and Heart frontwoman) Nancy Wilson and Bloom celebrated with a barbecue, a parade and a premiere.

"I don't think [the residents of the town] really believed we'd come back," Crowe said after the screening.

The film follows young businessman Drew Baylor (Bloom) from a career-killing fiasco, through his father's unexpected death and back home to Kentucky for the funeral. Along the way, he meets flight attendant Claire Colburn (Kirsten Dunst). A love story and, as Crowe likes to point out, "hilarity" ensue (see "Cameron Crowe: Hometown Hero").

And because it's a Cameron Crowe film, the proceedings are set to a richly realized soundtrack that includes songs from the likes of My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams and Tom Petty.

At the record store Ear X-Tacy in Louisville, fans waited for more than six hours for Crowe's signature. When Bloom blew in to surprise his director — with Oprah show producers in tow, no less — all hell broke loose.

"They closed down Bardstown Road," store clerk Bryan Peters said. "I've never seen that happen."

Soundtrack standouts I Nine and singer/songwriter Patty Griffin performed Sunday night in Franklin. But it was all, in effect, a preamble for Bloom. With his red-carpet gauntlet behind him, he waved and smiled for the now-teary fans once more and then ducked into the theater with Crowe.

"How you holdin' up?" Crowe asked his film's star.

Bloom just sighed, smiled and exhaled.

From News Channel 5:

Movie Stars in Franklin for Premiere

Posted: 9/19/2005 10:07:00 AM

Updated: 9/19/2005 10:21:12 AM

Some of Hollywood's biggest movie stars were in Middle Tennessee Sunday night.

The premiere of Elizabethtown brought Orlando Bloom and several other stars to Franklin's Main Street.

About 800 people lined up along the red carpet outside the Franklin Cinema.

An invitation-only audience got a first-look at the movie.

Wynonna Judd, Sara Evans and Kix Brooks were among the celebrities that walked the stretch of carpet.

The film's crew and cast members gave Franklin rave reviews.

"We came in here today and it instantly felt like all the stuff the movie's about. You know, music in the air, community, people that really look like they love living here," said Cameron Crowe, the director of Elizabethtown.

"It's been remarkable. The people are so real and generous and kind and welcoming. We feel very spoiled," said Orlando Bloom, one of the stars of the movie.

About 7 to 800 people showed up for the festivities on Main Street.

Paramount say they chose Franklin for it's premiere because of the small-town atmosphere that's appropriate for the film, which was shot on location in Elizabethtown, Kentucky.

Elizabethtown opens in theatres October 14th.

"We came in here today and it instantly felt like all the stuff the movie's about. You know, music in the air, community, people that really look like they love living here," said Cameron Crowe, the director of Elizabethtown.

Exactly the reasons I love the KY/TN area specifically and why I want to keep going back there time after time.

Thank you, Julia, for keeping in step with the press coverage with the same diligence as has become associated with our MovieImp!