Guest treasurehunt

116 posts in this topic

I was so happy to read that they moved "MI3" back! I was worried about the impact that a Tom Cruise movie wouldd have on the film with our "Lovely One". I almost wonder if Tom himself had anything to do with the move. He may be looking ahead to next summer. After all, his production company is involved with "Elizabethtown", and he would want Orlando to be in a blockbuster this year, with KOH. Tom would not want to overshadow the star of one of his company's movies, when he can easily move his own film back, without hurting its box office potential. It pays to help make the star of next year's "E-Town" a household name (and pays, and pays, and pays).

Hmm, May 6? That sounds good. The last "Star Wars" comes out on May 19, I think, so KOH won't have to compete with that. I hope it can kick some boxoffice butt :boxing: .

May 6, 2005 :rant:IT'S TOO FAR AWAY.HOW CAN WE WAIT A WHOLE YEAR ???

I'm dying of Balian deprevation. :dbb:

May 6, 2005  :rant:  IT'S TOO FAR AWAY.HOW CAN WE WAIT A WHOLE YEAR ???

I'm dying of Balian deprevation. :dbb:

Technically it's only 10 months now. but I'm every bit as anxious as you are, Annabelle!

I was fascinated reading through this thread about the amount of research you ladies put into your posts. You obviously care a lot about this type of thing.

For me, all that release date debate didn't mean a lot. Movies are mostly released at different times from the US here in Australia (LOTR excepted but even that was 2 weeks afterwards). And your summer season is right in the middle of winter for us, while we are still slaving over our school books, you are lounging on beaches. :)

I don't go to the cinema all that often, even when a movie I really want to see has opened. I didn't see Troy until June, even though I had been looking forward to it for months. I am a hard-core Harry Potter fan, but didn't go to see PoA for a few weeks after it's opening also. I don't know all that many people who do actually go to see a movie on opening day. So basically, what I'm saying is, that movies stay in the cinema for at least a month or more after they open. Regardless of which movies open together, if I want to see a movie I will see it. The only time I have ever seen a movie twice in the cinema was RotK. Oh wait, PotC as well. But those were the only two times, and those were pretty big films, I think you'll agree. I don't know, maybe ticket prices are more expensive here?

So the point I'm trying to make is, for this particular fan, a movie is always seen, if she knows an actor in it or the storyline behind it; not neccessarily straight after it opens, but seen, nonetheless; regardless of which other movies open around the same time to compete with it and what reviewers say (I don't read reviews :wink: )

Good point miki. :wave:

Release dates in the US especially around our summer are uber important though. Our culture is so immersed in the entertainment industry and immediate satisfaction, so while some people (me included) like to avoid the crowds and opt to see a movie a while after its release, the big bucks are made opening weekend. Except if you're talking about movies with a strong fanbase that's likely to steadily feed its boxoffice with repeat viewings, i.e. oh I dunno, say LOTR. It's almost a one shot deal because word spreads quickly if a film is "good" (and this is largely variable depending on who you ask :rolleyes: ) or not, then before you know it, the film in question is washed away in the new wave of openers, all marketed to be blockbusters and crush the competition. Man it's a jungle. But movie execs know that school's out, it's hot out, and there is next to nothing left to do other than sit at home on your butt or head to the movies, and they capitalize on that. God they know us so well . .

As soon as I saw the release date change on Yahoo, I zipped over here to share the good news. See what happens when I'm offline for a few days? I get way behind. :lol:

Anyway, excellent news that Paramount is the studio that blinked and moved their movie. I wonder what it says that a Tom Cruise film moved away from an Orlando Bloom film and not vice versa? It is possible that Paramount chose to move in order to boost Orlando in hopes of reaping the benefits via Elizabethtown (also a Paramount release). It seems odd that they would do it for rival studio Fox, but it does make sense in a round about sort of way. Elizabethtown doesn't have an actual release date yet (just 2005), so it's conceivable that Paramount is hoping to ride the coattails of KOH's success/promotional onslaught. I'd bet on an early fall 2005 release for Elizabethtown.

Kira

Unfortunatley, it seems from several reports, that I read earlier today (one was on Empire I think), that Mission Impossible has been moved to the 29th June to reap the benefits of the holiday weekend of the 4th July, nothing to do with KOH.

Diane

Guest FireElemental

Looks like you maybe right dmw3, Greg from Yahoo! Movies said this:

(7/1/04) Paramount has apparently decided they feel more comfortable in taking on a superhero movie starring Michael Chiklis (Fantastic Four) than a historical epic directed by Ridley Scott, as they have bumped this movie back several weeks until the pre-4th Wednesday date of June 29th, 2005 (two days before Fantastic Four on the 1st). It's worth noting that this move basically means Paramount is filling the space on the same spot on the calendar when they once hoped to release Indiana Jones 4.

I had thought you had meant this LAST June and I was like huh? :lol::rolleyes:

Though the site is infamous for posting inaccurate data, I just noticed the following release dates up at IMDB for KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

USA -  6 May 2005 

UK -  1 July 2005 

Argentina - 7 July 2005 

Russia - 14 July 2005 

Belgium - 20 July 2005 

Germany - 21 July 2005 

Netherlands - 21 July 2005 

Czech Republic - 28 July 2005 

Finland - 19 August 2005

I can't imagine a two-month delay between North America and the rest of the world, particularly the UK. I think Scott's Gladiator was released only one week later in the UK, in early May 2000. I can't find any other information confirming or contradicting release for KOH outside of the US. Most sites either just say a generic release date of May 6, 2005 (such as 20th Century Fox Movies' page - NOTE: the official film site is STILL not operational) or they say a UK release date is not yet available.

Anyone have other information?

Actually, the dates Ginger listed could make sense if the whole idea is to avoid direct conflicts with the release of Star Wars III. Those dates would ensure that KoH comes out before SW in the U.S. but after it elsewhere, wouldn't they?

Of course, it would probably make more sense to release the movie everywhere in July, but since when do movie release dates make sense?

The U.S. release date seems still too close to "Star Wars III", to me, for it to do as well overall as it could :unsure:. I suppose if the first two weeks really excel then it'll be a success even with the competition. But I know nothing about that sort of thing. I just desperately want "KoH" to do very, very well. "Elizabethtown" too!!

What an exciting summer, "KoH" and then "Elizabethown" a few months later (unless of course they change release dates again) - Orlando in two such totally different roles! I can't wait.

Actually, the dates Ginger listed could make sense if the whole idea is to avoid direct conflicts with the release of Star Wars III. Those dates would ensure that KoH comes out before SW in the U.S. but after it elsewhere, wouldn't they?

Of course, it would probably make more sense to release the movie everywhere in July, but since when do movie release dates make sense?

The Revenge of the Sith is supposed to be a big film event, but if you look at the global box office breakdown for AOTC, you will notice that AOTC did considerably better in the USA than anywhere else. In other words, Revenge, is expected to do well and have legs in the USA, but like AOTC, will probably be just another summer blockbuster elsewhere, and therefore have less of a box office run. This would explain, the pre-Revenge release in the USA (to get maximum coverage before Revenge comes out) and the post-Revenge release in the the rest of the world, where KOH is released some 5 to 6 weeks after Revenge and after the Star Wars hubris has died down.

I do think that we are forgetting one crucial factor, the ratings for Revenge and KOH will be very different. The new Star Wars film is likely to have the same rating as the rest PG, whereas KOH is likely to be a 15, this of course means very different audiences for these very different films. I for one will not be seeing Revenge at the cinema, I enjoyed the original trilogy, but the new ones in my opinion are just kids films and to be honest bad ones at that, sorry to Star Wars fans.However, KOH appeals to me as an adult going to watch a Ridley Scott film, which is enough to get me and others I know in the cinema, even without the very special bonus of Mr Bloom.

Diane

I do think that we are forgetting one crucial factor, the ratings for Revenge and KOH will be very different. The new Star Wars film is likely to have the same rating as the rest PG, whereas KOH is likely to be a 15, this of course means very different audiences for these very different films.

I've actually heard it may end up being rated PG-13, a first for the franchise. Apparently it's going to be pretty intense - which we all can pretty well see coming.

But I have no doubt that KOH will be R in the US, and similarly so in other countries, for the blood and violence that Ridley Scott is famous for.

But I agree with you, Diane, the audiences (well, other than us Orlandocentric Star Wars geeks) will, for the most part, be different.

Guest Missy Jo

Does anyone here know the UK release date for KOH? I heard June 1st 2005, but it's never definite, so does anyone know?

The Revenge of the Sith is supposed to be a big film event, but if you look at the global box office breakdown for AOTC, you will notice that AOTC did considerably better in the USA than anywhere else. In other words, Revenge, is expected to do well and have legs in the USA, but like AOTC, will probably be just another summer blockbuster elsewhere, and therefore have less of a box office run.

The Star Wars movie may make its hundreds of millions of dollars mostly in the U.S., but I think KoH may follow a different pattern -- one similar to Troy and The Last Samurai, both of which had rather ordinary box-office figures in the U.S. but were major hits worldwide.

I'm an American, but I still think that American audiences have peculiar tastes.

Guest waitingforwake

This rocks! I thought the release date was going to be 5-6-05. Now you have confirmed my hopes. Thanks to all at KB who make this board possible. As soon as I actually get my hands on some money (PCS) er poor college student will donate to help keep the board

'alive'.

Although I don't understand the new siggie rules, I believe the reason for the restrictions will be revealed to all of us in time. :wink: (Try saying that last sentance weally weally fast with a lisp!) :lol:

P.S. RotS is cool. :paperbag:

Does anyone here know the UK release date for KOH? I heard June 1st 2005, but it's never definite, so does anyone know?

IMDb lists July 1, 2005. I'm sure that if it changes, you'll see it here.

waiting, the siggie rules aren't new - been around since Day 1. If we didn't have a limit, it would get out of hand. 200 pixels high is somewhat of a 'standard' on Boards that set a limit. It takes long enough to scroll through a page full of posts.

A little mention of KOH from Liam Neeson in an article at comingsoon.net.

In the Future with the Cast of Kinsey

Source: Edward Douglas November 1, 2004

Despite Kinsey's relatively small-scale, Neeson will be returning to familiar territory next summer when he appears in two back-to-back blockbusters, beginning with Ridley Scott's next film, the historic war epic Kingdom of Heaven, scheduled to open in May. "It's a Crusaders film set just before the Battle of Hadden in 1267, I think," Neeson told us. "I play Godfrey of Ibelin, a crusty old warrior, and I'm Orlando Bloom's father in that."

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=6994

I like the idea of crusty and I look forward to seeing a father-son relationship portrayed by these two.

Just an update on international release dates. IMDB has updated since the first of October when I last checked, and note that several European countries have had the release dates moved to more in line with the North American release.

Germany - 5 May 2005 

Italy - 6 May 2005 

Spain - 6 May 2005 

USA - 6 May 2005 

UK - 1 July 2005 

Argentina - 7 July 2005 

Russia - 14 July 2005 

Belgium - 20 July 2005 

Netherlands - 21 July 2005 

Czech Republic - 28 July 2005 

Finland 19 - August 2005 

Alas the UK date is still listed as July 1st, but Germany went from July 21st to May 5th. More work for me as I must change the calendar, but I am happy for the Germans.

I think I'll split release date posts out and pin it, so don't get spooked by any sudden movements. :)

:shiny: Thanks for the update, Ginger, but um, any idea when it might be released for us here at the bottom of the dark continent? I would be very, how shall I say this, upset, if we had to wait for 3 months after the rest of the world like we did for Pirates. :( That would be too hard to take knowing most of the kaBloomies had already seen it.

Ta muchly!

CC :meow:

:shiny: Thanks for the update, Ginger, but um, any idea when it might be released for us here at the bottom of the dark continent?

Well, according to Your Movies, Australia is set to get KINGDOM OF HEAVEN on May 5, 2005! Woot!

Note that ELIZABETHTOWN is scheduled for July 28, 2005.

Wait a minute,. you meant South Africa! *mumbles to self* Hold on.

:lol:

Maybe I shouldn't try to be so cryptic... :shiny:

CC :meow:

:lol:

Maybe I shouldn't try to be so cryptic... :shiny:

No, you were not cryptic, I should just read the entire message. I saw "bottom" and stopped there, thinking bottom of the world, not bottom of some other continent.

You know, I can not find myself a nice, helpful, friendly little website that lists upcoming movie releases for South Africa. We need one. Your Movies for Australia is a little gem.

I did however check with the largest distributor in South Africa, Ster Kinekor, but nothing comes up for KOH. Of course, I don't know whether they will even have it.