Guest treasurehunt

116 posts in this topic

Guest treasurehunt

Does anyone know the release date for KOH? Gotta start counting down, I cannot wait!! Also, will Haven be out before KOH?

Thanks!

Lisa

While I was checking out Production status for KOH, I pulled up the release dates of everything currently scheduled in May 2005. As it stands right now:

May 6, 2005

• Kingdom of Heaven

• Mission Impossible 3

May 13, 2005

• XXX: State of the Union

May 19, 2005

• Star Wars Episode III

May 27, 2005

• Madagascar

KOH vs. MI3 is not going to be pretty and XXX already blinked and move off the date to the 13th. MI3 will be PG-13 and KOH will be I believe R was last I heard what Ridley wanted. If he gets it that's another question. They may want to go PG-13 to pull in Orlando's teen fanbase. Bumping it off the May 6th day to the 13th would work except SW3 is on the 19th only giving it a week which is what happened to Troy with Shrek2. I wonder if they look back and May of this year and the canabalization of the movies audiences from one another if release dates will be moved around more.

Guest JayDK

Ee-yikes. This looks potentially pretty bad for KOH. MI3 is going to be big, and then SW3 will be enormous. Even the weekend after SW3 wouldn't be safe.

This is definitely a toughie. Even if KOH is moved, where should they move it? Does moving it at this point signal weakness or wisdom? KOH isn't a typical summer blockbuster to begin with -- rated R, an adult story, no superheroes, no franchise, no comedy, no world-ending disasters, and not a huge amount of kid-appeal (it sounds more like a awards season film). But it's the official start of the summer blockbuster season and the pressure will be enormous. Unless they market it really, really carefully, the film could just get lost or be read as a "failure" no matter how well it does, comparatively speaking. Kind of like the Troy situation -- except even Troy had at least one weekend to itself.

I don't know what the solution is. But I feel bad for Orlando now. This is his big test as a leading man, and there are so many people ready to tear him down even now. Sigh. :(

I'd go with Christmas 2004 myself. He's got six months to get it ready and looking at this year I don't see much except Ocean's 12 and Limoney Snicket. Ridley, however, seems overly fond of the May date.

Maybe he doesn't want it too near Aviator and Alexander both of which come out sometime in November.

May 2005 is going to be another blood bath at the box office. MI3, KOH, SW3 and XXX all compete for the same audience.

Second, regarding May 2005: Imp, that's going to be ugly no matter HOW you look at it. Someone is going to come out a loser in that game, especially the moviegoers. (Personally, I'm interested in everything except the XXX one.)

I would really love to see KoH as a year-end release (2004, not 2005!), where it's not up against the big FX, high-body-count action flicks; I don't see it as being that kind of movie.

*Sigh* If only WE ran the studios, eh? B)

I agree with everything there, except that I am looking forward to XXX. And Star Wars is my MAIN movie for next May, so I hope they are able to do something with the release date. I have always been a big Star Wars fan, as anyone entering my home could see since I have almost every movie two or three times. December this year would be totally cool. :)

Goodness, KOH VS MI3? :huh: Doesn't sound too good at all! Could Orlando make the audiences see his film with a Tom Cruise film ( Mission Impossible, on top of that! ), opening the same week? And SW3 opening two weeks after? It's going to be UGLY, as Jan put it. Warner Brothers was unwise to release Troy a week before Shrek2, fully knowing how successful that movie would be. Hopefully, 20th Century Fox would be wiser and somehow make Ridley move the release date. Maybe Christmas, like MovieImp suggested? I think Ridley is aiming for a shot at Oscars with KOH, so maybe a Christmas release wouldn't be a bad idea at all. That way, the film will be fresh in the minds of the public and the Oscars voting team.

Guest Rita

Could they not move the release date up one month to April? :huh: If I'm not mistaken, there's a holiday that month so it could be good for the B.O.

Guest laconejita
Could they not move the release date up one month to April? :huh: If I'm not mistaken, there's a holiday that month so it could be good for the B.O.

Just found this on IMDb. It's never been known for its accuracy, but it's worth mentioning: IMDb has the release date listed as June 1st, 2005. If this is true, it might just be perfect (for now). It's a few weeks after Star Wars so all the press attention will be dwindling and can focus on KOH. Also, nothing big is coming out until the 17th (Batman Begins) so it'll "reign" *snorts* over the box office, hopefully :)

Another little thing on IMDb. Apparently, KOH is now in post-production as principal photography ended in early June.

Guest Rita

If the June 1st release date is true, it would be up against these movies: (taken from comingsoon.net)

June 3

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

- Tru Blu

June 17

- Batman Begins

June 24

- Fun with Dick and Jane

I think Batman and Fun with Dick and Jane (Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz) could be competition for KOH but I've never heard of the first three movies. I still think April is a better date since I see only three movies planned for release in April so far.

IMDb has the release date listed as June 1st, 2005. If this is true, it might just be perfect (for now).

Yes, it would be much better to release the movie on June 1 than May 6 because of the terrible competition in May 2005.

But it means that we have to wait a whole extra month to see Balian. :cry:

Edited to add: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a movie based on an extremely popular and surprisingly well-written book about four high school girls and is aimed squarely at that age/gender audience. The people who are making that movie had better change their release date because we know where all the teenage girls will be during the week of June 1, 2005!

Guest laconejita
The people who are making that movie had better change their release date because we know where all the teenage girls will be during the week of June 1, 2005!

Amen to that one! I'll be attending my high school graduation ceremony and then skipping off to see Kingdom of Heaven as many times as the theatre will allow :paperbag:

Just some musings on the KOH release date. The May date, is roughly the same time of year as Gladiator, now that film was succesful precisely because it was up against the whizz bang summer blockbusters. I also think that is why Troy got a May release, as a film aimed at a more serious and mature audience is more likely to stand out at the multiplexes against an array of more teen and action movies. Whereas, the 'Oscar season' of November through to mid-January is awash with worthy mature audience films, with a few Holiday season family films thrown in. (one exception in the last three years, LOTR).

As for Star Wars episode three, the last two prequels did far better in the USA domestic market, than they did globally. Did you know that in the all time non-adjusted, global (including the USA) chart, POTC is one place higher than AOTC! AOTC faired relatively badly outside the USA, and parts of its target audience, around my son's age have no interest in episode three (I live in the UK). Don't forget than in Box Office terms, big historical epics usually fair better outside of the USA, than they do inside the USA.

I do think that the date of release of KOH is immaterial as far as awards are concerned, because being a Ridley Scott film it will automatically be on the awards radar. It may also illustrate Mr Scott's confidence in KOH.

Diane

It's interesting this talk of when KOH might be released. I was also hoping for a bit a move up to say Christmas 2004 - because I just can't wait. Given the other movies that are coming out in May, I would push for an earlier date.

Taking into consideration that I am a Star Wars purist who didn't care for the more recent films, I was impressed by the preview I saw at Star Wars Weekend here at MGM Studios. I'll probably see that one, but none of the others really interest me at all.

I would hate to see what happened to Troy, happen to KOH. It just got buried behind the Shreks and the Harry Potters.

Guest erolas
If the June 1st release date is true, it would be up against these movies:  (taken from comingsoon.net)

June 3

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I think Batman and Fun with Dick and Jane (Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz) could be competition for KOH but I've never heard of the first three movies.

*chokes*

You've never heard of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy? Get thee to a book store immediately! Seriously, you're missing out if you haven't read Hitchhiker. I can't wait til it comes out and only hope that it's up to scratch. Of course it would have been better if they'd made it before Douglas Adams died so he could have worked on the script. um, I'll shut up now before I start ranting.

As for KoH, I'd hate to see it disappear amongst all the May releases, especially since I'm not interested in most of them (though I realise that's just me - I think I'm the only person I know who isn't bothered about Star Wars) but it may be strong enough to hold its own. It couldn't hurt to move it forward a couple of weeks to April but November or Christmas could be tricky. I don't know what the effects are going to be like but it would be awful if they were rushed and ended up looking dodgy. If the film could be completed in time, there is a December gap now that LoTR is finished that could be filled by KoH.

I'm thinking "Episode III" will be a bit of a bigger deal than the other two because it's the last. I hope KOH comes out a little before (that would be nice) or a little after it. Either way it looks like next May/June is going to be another busy movie month for me B) .

Guest Beibei

I doubt KoH will have a Christmas 2004 release because these movies require more effects shots and stuff. If it meant that Orlando had an Oscar chance, I'd be happy to wait until Christmas 2005. Summer movie-time is like the jungle; everywhere you go there's a big predator. KoH has the distinct disadvantage of not being a sequel. It does have the advantage of Ridley Scott and also the interesting historical period. I'd go for November 2005 personally. To push for a May release is foolhardy.

If KoH and H2G2 come out at the same time I'm going to have to take some serious time off work and do a movie marathon.

A bit OT, but Martin Freeman - Tim from The Office - is playing Arthur Dent. Oh Joy!!! :Cloud9:

A bit OT, but Martin Freeman - Tim from The Office - is playing Arthur Dent.  Oh Joy!!! :Cloud9:

Oooh! I'm a recent Martin-ite after getting to see The Office on DVD, plus Love, Actually. Loving him!

Beibei, you mentioned that KOH had a disadvantage in that it's not a sequel - traditionally, that would be an advantage. Up until recently, sequels have rarely done better than the original. LOTR and Shrek are the exceptions to the rule, but even the Star Wars franchise saw declines with successive movies. Harry Potter 3 will probably surpass 2, but probably not 1. So KOH not being a sequel should count in its favor.

Mel

Guest Beibei
Beibei, you mentioned that KOH had a disadvantage in that it's not a sequel - traditionally, that would be an advantage. Up until recently, sequels have rarely done better than the original. LOTR and Shrek are the exceptions to the rule, but even the Star Wars franchise saw declines with successive movies. Harry Potter 3 will probably surpass 2, but probably not 1. So KOH not being a sequel should count in its favor.

I suppose so. The problem is, the summer movie slot is sequel-dumping time and let's face it, sequels open big at least even if they don't have legs. If you can't open huge in the summer, you're a bit dead because every week afterwards you're going to have a multitude of blockbusters screaming for No1 at BO.

Guest JayDK

I think the biggest problem is that KOH is lacking several elements that make up a traditional summer blockbuster, besides not being a sequel. No franchise characters -- no comic book or literary or television background. Not a remake. Not animated (obviously). Probably not a lot of humor. Possibly R-rated, which will really hurt the box office in losing the kid/young teen audience. None of those elements actually guarantee success, but they sure help.

In addition, it's an complex, possibly controversial story, in part about religious differences in the Middle East. Even though it'll have some special effects and I assume a lot of action-adventure elements, it's essentially an adult movie in one of the opening summer movie season slots (i.e., facing a lot of pressure). If it's R-rated, it can't get the kid audience; if it's not R-rated, it will probably be accused of "softening" the violence, and might not get the kid audience anyway due to unfamiliarity with the subject matter. As an adult movie, it will be really dependent on critical reviews in a way that some summer movies (i.e. Day After Tomorrow) can avoid because they're just "dumb fun."

And then it has MI3 on top of it? I dunno, this looks pretty harsh on KOH to me. I really just want the movie to get a fair shake and not be held to standards (like "summer blockbuster") that it simply may not be able to fulfill due to the very nature of the film. I don't know if that's possible if it stays on that date, especially with MI3 opening the same weekend. I wonder why Ridley Scott is so set on the date, if he is indeed set on it? It doesn't seem the best possible time, even just within the summer frame.

Ok, to re-iterate, KOH is not a traditional summer blockbuster, so that may actually work in its favour as it will stand out at the mutliplexes, the same way Gladiator did.

The summer movie season, only really applies in the USA. In the UK, these films are more spread out and sometimes take months to reach this side of the Atlantic. I would guess, that the same thing happens in the rest of Europe, worldwide releases, such as, LOTR are not that common.

Actually, does anyone remember last summers movie season? All that hype about the Matrix follow ups and whatever the rest were, funny thing was, some darned movie about pirates, based on a Disney ride of all things, came out tops :lmao:

Diane

I think the biggest problem is that KOH is lacking several elements that make up a traditional summer blockbuster, besides not being a sequel. No franchise characters -- no comic book or literary or television background. Not a remake. Not animated (obviously). Probably not a lot of humor. Possibly R-rated, which will really hurt the box office in losing the kid/young teen audience. None of those elements actually guarantee success, but they sure help.

I hardily concur. If you want people to think and not just kick back and relax during your movie, don't open in the summer. I think it would be ideal if KOH was released in January so people will be sick enough of spending time with their families for the holidays and will get out of the house to see it (:lol:) and it's right before the Oscars. And if need be, release it later but definitely before May. Come to think of it, pretty much nothing really noteworthy ever comes out in the spring. :wink:

Guest Rita
I wonder why Ridley Scott is so set on the date, if he is indeed set on it? It doesn't seem the best possible time, even just within the summer frame.

I think he wants that date because Gladiator opened on the first week of May and it did really well. Here's a bit from Greg's Movie Preview pages for Kingdom of Heaven:

Release Date Note: (1/13/04) 20th Century Fox is aiming for the "summer starts early" weekend of May 6th, 2005, which has consistently in recent years been a great weekend (first one in May) for big tentpole releases (including Ridley Scott's Gladiator). The other movie currently scheduled for that same weekend is XXX2, starring Ice Cube. (2/5/04) Mission: Impossible 3 is also now aiming for that date. Of course, only one massive tentpole release is likely to actually stay on this date. which will it be? (a few hours later) Well, *that* didn't take long. Reacting swiftly to the new competition from another spy movie, Sony has bumped XXX2 back a week out of Tom Cruise's way.

I don't really classify May 6th as being "summer," but I'm not in charge of Hollywood's calendar.

I don't think Troy's steam was put out by Shrek 2 or Harry Potter. Troy is rated R, and that's it's biggest disadvantage (now enter Shrek 2/HP). My mom said there were so many girls and boys at school (7th/8th grade) who wanted to go see Troy, but they're parents wouldn't let them (or wouldn't go with them.which I think is unfortunate) and, obviously, they're underage. So instead, they go see Shrek 2 or Harry Potter, NOT necessarily because they're dying too, but becuase it's the only movie out they can go see (and they're familiar with).

I'm hoping KOH isn't going to be rated R, but hey, I don't have to worry about the age thing, so it doesn't matter to me! :shiny: