Guest Niamh

"The Journey is the Destination" - Dan Eldon pic

Guest Niamh

I'm really interested in this project and was hoping that we'd hear something soon. Does anybody know if this is actually going to be made and if Orlando is going to be attached to it? I've enjoyed the Dan Eldon site but there isn't much news there about the movie.

Niamh, Orlando is "unofficially attatched." I have corresponded with Dan's mom Kathy earlier this year. She said that Orlando is "utterly wonderful".. :lol: The film is still in the script writing phase, then they have to pitch it to someone. With Orlando's name attatched, I'm sure there will be no shortage of studios willing to produce it. I personally cannot wait for this project. I think Orlando is the perfect actor for this role, he even looks like Dan Eldon.

Guest Niamh

Thanks! Yes, while reading Dan's bio I was amazed at how much I perceived them to be alike in a lot of ways. This should be interesting. I just hope that it doesn't take too long to get off the ground. I know Orlando looks young for his age but that can't last forever. I can see this project being a labor of love for him and I'm dying to see him take this on.

Was just going to reply to this and noticed the "Article on Bronwen Hughes" thread. perhaps they need to be merged into a "The Journey is the Destination" thread? Not that I know what I'm talking about, really :lol: . anyway, I felt my reply could have gone into both threads, but have elected to drop it into the Bronwen thread. See you there.

I did some research on this project after reading this thread and Orlando IS perfect for this role. It probably won't come out unil about two or three years from now though. He should be in as many movies as possible :kablaam: although good taste in choosing movies is important too. I'm voting for seeing Orlando as Robin Hood sometime in the near future, but I'm sure that's just me. :archer:

A brief mention about the project at Yahoo! today (go here), as Bronwen Hughes is at Sundance. Thanks to OBM for the link.

The important parts:

When Bronwen Hughes stands at the mike at the Holiday Village theater Monday night to introduce her World Cinema selection "Stander," starring Thomas Jane, she'll have her intro act ready to roll.

<snip>

And for the helmer, standing outside the studio system provided a quick education to the acquisitions game. "My other films were studio films, so I didn't really know about the intensity or the pressure of having to find distribution," explained Hughes, who is attached to the Dan Eldon indie biopic "The Journey Is the Destination," starring Orlando Bloom...

I am assuming that Orlando is 'attached' to the film as well, meaning they can bandy his name about in connection with it in order to obtain a studio, financing, etc.

I read yesterday that a record number of films/projects have been sold at Sundance this year, so that may bode well.

At least we have a 'working title' for the film. :wink:

I saw this mentioned at OBM and my heart did a little leap.

With that kind of statement, it does give us hope that this project will eventually come to fruition. With Orlando's name and standing becoming bigger and more widely known through his upcoming Big Studio Films in the next two years, this little film should get a good push.

Guest Elements

That is good news indeed, it is just the kind of film that could really put Orlando in a sphere beyond that of mere teen heart throb.

Guest shaynalisa
That is good news indeed, it is just the kind of film that could really put Orlando in a sphere beyond that of mere teen heart throb.

I truly truly hope this gets off the ground. I also checked out the Dan Eldon website a few months back and thought all the same things you gals did.

Elements, I'm with you on that sentiment!

Lisa :w00t:

This is wonderful news - definitely keeping my fingers crossed that they can get some backing and it can be made. :wub:

Guest scotsirishgirl

Gods! I hope this project happens, as well as the one about the perfumer.

Guest kygirl04

I am really hoping for this one. I've been interested in Dan Eldons story for a long time. He's partly what made me want to be a photojournalist (without his horrible ending) And I would really love to see it made into a movie with or without Orlando (although best with him :drool: ) That would be such a sad movie but I imagine it would be great!

Guest Jenny

Yes, I would love to see this happen! Apart from the fact that Orlando is perfect for the role!

Has anyone heard anything new about filming this story? Is Orlando definitely signed on? :unsure:

Guest cassie

As far as I know there hasn't been any new word about it. :(

Vanessa :wave:

Guest Silmarien

Well, hopefully we'll find out soon and there will be (yay!) another fabulous Orlando movie to look forward to. :wub: :wink: This sounds like a great career move for him.

I had no idea until I read this thread that someone was making The Journey. into a movie, least of all that Orlando was attached to it. That will be one moving, heart-wrenching story. It will be the perfect "ok, so this pretty boy CAN act" mold breaker for Orlando.

I cried when I read that book. :cry: One amazing story of courage under fire, as it were.

Does anyone know how Orlando got involved? has he read the book?

This is from an interview online somewhere (I'm not good at documenting) called "Blooming but Grounded" - credit to Philip Berk.

Will his pet project The Journeys is the Destination about a Reuters photographer (Dan Eldon) who was stoned to death in Somalia happen soon?

I really want to get it made, and after Pirates I may be in a position to do that.

Why is it so important to him?

My sister had bought the book for my mother years ago even before I went to drama school. At the time I looked at it and asked, Why are you giving this to Mum? It was a fantastic book but its a young guys book. So it sort of came into my life then, and then while I was doing The Lord of the Rings, one of my friends was talking about it, and when I went to Los Angeles for the first time and acquired a manager and an agent, I asked them to find out more about the rights, and then on her own Kathy Eldon (Dans mother) came to me. So its kind of like I've been on a long journey with it; so we've got to do it.

wow, that is so cool, it sounds like Orlando is very keen to do it. Hopefully with his name he will get the big directors and producers clamouring for the rights.

Thanks for the info, Squiggles. B):hug:

Guest Smolak

This sounds like a great story! I'm really glad he's interested in it. It shows that he is caring, respectful, and not all about himself. As is stated many times in this board and further evidenced by the charm he showed fans while in Kentucky. But if he's in this movie, I may have to bring some tissues because I can't stand to see him hurt! But I honestly can't wait for this movie! But to see him stoned to death.I'll be up all night bawling! Because it happened in real life makes it all the more heart wrenching!

Here is a story from today's Hollywood Reporter - it is an interview with Bronwen Hughes: Hollywood Reporter]Hughes' Film Choices Keep Hollywood Guessing

Key paragraph:

"Bronwen hasn't decided on her next move: She's interested in a project called "The Journey Is the Destination," about Reuters photographer Dan Eldon, to which Orlando Bloom, schedule permitting is attached," and she's also intrigued by the life of pioneering woman surfer Lisa Andersen."

Hope this project works out - I think he'd be wonderful!

Jules

Thanks for bringing us up-to-date, Jules.hopefully Ms. Hughes will choose to do "The Journey.." with Orlando, and the movie will finally get made. How could she not want to work with Orlando????

The sad part is that with filming for POTC2 & 3 coming up next for Orlando, and that taking him well into the middle of 2005, their schedules may cause problems. I hope not, cause Orlando is perfect for the part and he has wanted to do this movie for a long time. And Eldon's family wants Orlando too. So, hopefully they can work out any schedule conflicts and Ms. Hughes (whose current movie, "Stander", is coming out soon) can wait til next year to start the filming.

Guest mondieu

I really hope he does this movie, especially since he seems so passionate about it. He does seem perfect for it, Orlando even did some photography. I would just be really nervous on how they would pull off the stoning to death thing.

Guest earthcrosser

Just so you all know, he actually used the phrase "the journey is the destination" in an interview about KOH.

Guest staci22
Just so you all know, he actually used the phrase "the journey is the destination" in an interview about KOH.

I saw that too! I can't remember which clip it was though :huh: I too am really pushing for this one and think it would be an awesome career move and yet another excellent chance for him to show his acting chops. Maybe since he did mention it, it means he's becoming closer to "officially" signing on to do it. Maybe after POTC 2, 3 and a much needed break and vacation would be a good time to give it a go. *crosses fingers*