Geri

Dying To Tell the Story

Now that the copies of this film and "The Art of Life" are being circulated to ka-Bloom subscribers/contributors, it will be interesting to hear what some more of you think of the film.

For me, watching both documentaries has left me with all kinds of emotions but, ultimately, a feeling of positivity and inspiration from Dan's story.

Starting with his earlier life in Africa and the efforts of Dan and his friends to help the refugees in Malawi it's quite clear he was a true humanitarian. After that it's no surprise that he moved on to become known as "The Mayor of Mogadishu" and evidently so popular with the Somali people he knew. He seemed so full of life and just a lot of fun so it's not surprising the people warmed to him. In addition, his obvious creativity comes through in the style of his journals which I would love to see.

Amy Eldon's story of going back to Somalia to face up to the actual events and circumstances of Dan's death was very touching, too. Her interviews with so many journalists explaining their need to do a job which most of us would not go near was very insightful and was useful in understanding Dan's motivation which was, ultimately, to expose such appalling situations in the hope of somehow bringing about change.

I found it quite heart-rending that Dan had packed his bags to leave Somalia for a long break and did not actually need to go to the bombed house where he was killed. That is quite tragic and, well, just hugely unlucky. But that's life.

As a movie project I'm sure this is a wonderful story to tell. I also think Orlando is extremely well suited to the role in terms of both personality and appearance. My only small concern is that by the time this gets off the ground Orlando could well be 30. Dan was just 22 when he died and, for me, his youth is very important to the story as covering the war in Somalia was one of his first assignments. In addition, the movie would need to cover some of Dan's activities in his late teens to set the scene. It almost feels to me that Orlando as he was at 22 would have been ideal for this role but as he matures he may not work so well.

Having said that, I still think this would be a great role for Orlando and I may be worrying unnecessarily about the age issue.

I look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts.

It almost feels to me that Orlando as he was at 22 would have been ideal for this role but as he matures he may not work so well.

I think that Orlando would be perfect for this role, but like you, I am a little concerned about the age difference.

I have to admit though, our man is a bit of a chameleon. You bring those loose, and lovely curls over his forehead, and he looks years younger, and much more boyish. But I'm afraid that it would be several years before Orlando would have time to do this story. If he is too mature to play the role of Dan, maybe he could help produce it.

I also have some concerns about the age difference between Dan and Orlando, but I also feel that as actors go, Orlando has a younger range that most actors his actual age. He does have that very sparse facial hair pattern, and that innate ability to morph into a very young man with a shave a certain hair cut. Add in that he has the slender and youthful body type of a man Dan's age, having already lost some of the 'bulk' he worked to maintain for KOH. To me, he's still very...well, very boyish looking. I'm not sure its as big a concern as we might imagine. Also, the way a film is shot can often have a lot to do with the way an actor is presented. There will be many layers to this role such as Dan's humor and playfulness, the rugged conditions under which a story like this takes place...and this complexity may be all the compensation that is needed.

I have a feeling this project will come to life in 2006. I know they are working feverishly as we speak to make that happen.

Edited by HopelessRomantic

I agree with Geri, Orlando does not look his age, except when he had bulked up and grew the beard for KOH. IF anyone can carry it off, he can. In my opinion Orlando very convincingly played the much younger Todd Blackburn in Black Hawk Down, I think the character was supossed to be 18, yet Orlando was 23 or 24 when he played him.

Although I haven't seen any of the videos about Dan Eldon and his work in Somalia, I have read enough about him to feel that his story would make a great movie. I can't wait for it to begin filming.

I do not think that Orlando is too old looking to play this role. Clean-shaven and slim, he certainly could pass for a young man in his early 20's. I have seen high school boys of 18 that look older than Orlando. There is something so tender and unspoiled about his looks, from his eyes to his facial expressions, that I have to remind myself that he is indeed nearly 30 --- and I am not exactly "robbing the cradle" with my crush on him ! :wub:

I keep hoping to hear that as soon as POTC wraps up, Orlando will begin The Journey.

There is something so tender and unspoiled about his looks, from his eyes to his facial expressions, that I have to remind myself that he is indeed nearly 30 --- and I am not exactly "robbing the cradle" with my crush on him !  :wub:

Very well said, Annabelle. It's one of those images about beauty and youth that you don't necessarily expect to hold true when you actually see someone in person. People tend to seem older and less perfect (especially celebrities, what with all the makeup and touching up done on film) when you get up close enough to get a good look. I can honestly say that isn't the case here.

"Tender and unspoiled"....Indeed. :faint:

"Tender and unspoiled"....Indeed.  :faint:

Amen to that. The words and the smilie. :faint:

I do so wish that this project will prosper. It's a story worth telling and in the right hands can become a memorable movie.

I don't think the age difference between Dan and Orlando is going to present a problem. As was said before, Orlando has his beautiful youthful looks (won't go into details here, I'm already plotzing away) and make-up departments can work wonders.

I have a feeling this project will come to life in 2006. I know they are working feverishly as we speak to make that happen.

Fingers crossed for this.

First of all, a huge thank you to Kathy Eldon, Geri, Jupiter and everyone else who went to great lengths to bring these documentaries to us! :hug: Thank you so much for doing this!! I'm thrilled to be able to watch these.

Dying To Tell The Story left me fascinated, moved, and wanting to know more. I'm in awe of people like the journalists portrayed here, to whom their job, or their mission you might say, means so much that even risking their own lives is not stopping them from doing it. People who can keep their idealism alive and who keep trying to make the world a little bit better, amidst all the tragedy and horror they witness on a regular basis.

I'm now even more excited about the possibility of Orlando portraying Dan Eldon, and even more hoping for it to happen rather sooner than later. (Next year? That would be fantastic.) I'm sure that it would be such an amazing, thoroughly worthwhile and rewarding project. :notworthy:

P.S. on the age difference: I don't think it's an issue. When I see Dan in that footage, I can't help but think how utterly perfect Orlando would be for the role, and how well he'd be able to embody Dan. As Mrs. Eldon herself said: He is "reflecting the spirit of Dan -- in the most remarkable way."

Dan Eldon's photos will be on exhibit in Lawrenceville, New Jersey Nov. 28 - Dec. 14, 2005. Dan Eldon: Images of War. Celebrations of Peace is on view at the Marguerite and James Hutchins Gallery, the Lawrenceville School, 2500 Main St., Lawrenceville. Lawrenceville is halfway between Princeton and Trenton, 55 mi. from NYC and 40 mi. from Philadelphia, an easy distance for many ka-Bloomies.

Kathy Eldon will speak and present a free screening of the documentary DYING TO TELL THE STORY in the Heely Room, Memorial Hall, the Lawrenceville School, Dec. 6 only at 7 p.m.

For the rest of the story: Dying to Tell His Story

California ka-Bloomies can catch the documentary, Dying to Tell the Story, as well as a special exhibition of his photos, scrapbooks and journals in Santa Barbara. Times and dates below, courtesy of The Santa Barbara Independent. http://www.independent.com/artsandentertai.he_streets.html

Journey: Dan Eldon’s Images of War and Peace

Dan Eldon was a celebrated young photojournalist who was inadvertently stoned in Somalia in 1992, an idealistic 22‑year‑old whose work ironically helped alert attention to the tragic civil war there. While Eldon wasn’t an artist in the traditional sense, he brought an artist’s sensibilities to his profound sense of purpose and engagement in work and life — and in fighting to awaken the world to the plight of global neighbors, especially in Africa. A special exhibition of Eldon’s images, scrapbooks, and journal entries is being presented at the University Art Museum, at a time when young artists and activists are finding their own conscience about global politics being sparked. Additional events: Opening reception, Tue., Apr. 4, 5‑7pm, UAM, with Rosie O’Donnell, photographer Nick Ut and author/editor Jennifer New; lunch with Kathy Eldon, founder, Creative Visions Foundation, Mon., Apr. 10, 11:30am‑1pm; Dying to Tell the Story, documentary by Dan’s sister, Amy Eldon, Thu., Apr. 20, 6‑8:30pm, Isla Vista Theater; gallery talk, curator Natalie Sanderson, Thu., May 11, 6pm. Show exhibits Apr. 5‑May 14; UCSB’s University Art Museum; 893‑7564.

It's been such a long haul for the filming of the two POTC's -- over a year and a half -- and now that it is winding down (wrap-up in August) I hope and pray that Orlando will be free to film this wonderful story of Dan Eldon's life and death.

Does anyone know if the script is ready, or if it has been offered to anyone else?

:wave:

Sadly, there has been no news on this for over a year now. :(

It has been a long time since I have been here. I was fortunate enough to be in on the circulation of, The Dan Eldon tape. It was both, wonderful and tragic, at the same time. I was so so invested into his story.

I really look forward to seeing, Orlando, play this part. His lovely, beautiful speech and how he immerses himself into a role would truly do justice to, Dan Eldon, and his work/passion/calling!

Looking forward :) .