Geri

Dying To Tell the Story

I've finally gotten hold of a copy of this gripping documentary. There are many clips of Dan in this film and it's quite an emotional journey for Amy Eldon as she treks all over interviewing different photojournalists, culminating in her going back to the actual scene of her brother's demise.

The write up from the cover:

Every day in some part of the world, journalists risk their lives to bring home the stories of world conflict.  And each year, some lose their lives in the process.  Travel around the world with the best war journalists working today, capturing the challenges of living and working in conflict zones. 

Dying to tell the Story centers on the life and death of Dan Eldon, a 22-year-old Reuters photographer who, along with three other journalists, was stoned to death in Somalia in 1993.  His sister, Amy, in a an attempt to understand what happened to her borther and why other journalists choose such dangerous assignments, takes a journery back to Somalia to see the spot where her brother lost his life.

Includes featured interviews with Christiane Amanpour, known worldwide as CNN's gutsy and passionate international correspondent; Peter Magubane, once jailed and tortured for taking photographs during the hight of apartheid and Corrine Dufka, a Reuters photographer based in Nairobi who has twice  been assigned to replace dead collegues. 

Watching this documentary was really amazing and moving. I can see why this project, why portraying Dan Eldon and his story, would be something Orlando would want to do. I understand more now why it is taking so long to develop the script and why Orlando seemed so determined that it be right before he rolled up his sleeves to make it happen.

This is a shocking and sobering story and one that needs to be told. After seeing the clips of Dan, I now believe more than ever before that there is no other actor I would want to see portraying Dan than Orlando. I think you all will see what I mean if you view this film. The physical similarities are really striking. Dan was a very handsome boy (I say boy because he was so young, only 22 when he died and much of the footage shown here was taken some time prior to that) and Orlando still posseses that youthful look.

If you have the opportunity, please rent this film. I will personally be adding it to my home library. It's incredible, and left me with such a longing to see The Journey come to fruition in a feature film starring our man.

In the words of Kathy Eldon to me not long ago, "I believe he is the key to the vision- for he holds a clear view of what the film must achieve."

Let's hope he gets that opportunity, and soon.

Wonderful, Geri. Thanks for sharing. I, too, hope The Journey will be made, with Orlando playing Dan.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Amy. I was really impressed with this young woman and with her maturity and courage. She's stunning as well, and really resembles her brother. :wub:

Guest Jeanne

Geri, where did you rent the film?

I briefly checked NetFlix and they don't have it.

I live in an igloo, so I need to be able to grab it from an online source.

Guest AngieB-Have

I'm definitely going to check this out. It sounds like an incredibly heart wrenching story.

Jeanne, they have it at Amazon.com.

AngieB

Geri said she got her copy from the library. I just checked mine.they don't carry it. Ange, are you going to order it? We need to open a ka-bloomie lending library. :lol:

Hey Geri! :wave:

I'd also like to know how you came to see the documentary. Buy or Rent? VHS or DVD? You know me, details girls! :paperbag:

I understand it was nominated for an Oscar or Emmy (or some such - I was sure it was made for television, actually). And I'd love to see it, having read both books about Dan.

ETA: thanks for the side info there, rebecca! :)

Thank you Geri, for letting us know about this wonderful documentary. :hug: I will definitely check it out when I have time! It would be wonderful if this were made into a movie and Orlando played the part of Dan. Sounds like a great role for Orlando.

Guest Sunshine

Thanks so much for sharing this info with us, Geri. I will definitely be looking into getting my hands on this film.

After reading about Dan Eldon here, I went and checked out his site or the site set up about him, rather. The first thing I noticed was that we were born in the same year, he was only a few months younger than me. I was so sad as I was reading about his life. It's so tragic that such a worthy, quality human being was killed - and at such a young age.

It gave me absolute chills and completely drove home how young he really was when I got to the end of the timeline and read that he was stoned on the day that I turned 23 - just a few short months before he would have been the same age.

I've made myself all teary. :cry:

Thanks Geri. I believe of all the possible film projects that Orlando has been rumored to be considered for, this is the one I want most to see him do. I am putting 'Dying to Tell the Story', at the top of my DVD rental list. Thanks for the heads up.

This story was in the "News and Observer" (Raleigh, N.C.) today. This Friday, the UNC-CH School of Journalism is sponsoring a free public screening of "Dying To Tell the Story" with remarks and discussion by Kathy Eldon, mother of Dan and Amy. In her interview with the News & Observer, she mentions Orlando. If you click through to the article, there are pictures of her and of Dan.

Published: Sep 27, 2004

Modified: Sep 27, 2004 7:11 AM

A dangerous and deadly art

Look Who's Coming: Kathy Eldon, Film Producer

By MATT EHLERS, Staff Writer

Photojournalist Dan Eldon died in 1993, stoned to death in Somalia by an angry mob.

On assignment for Reuters news agency, Eldon, 22, just wanted to do his job.

His mom, Kathy Eldon, just doesn't want us to forget.

She served as executive producer for the documentary "Dying to Tell the Story," a film that explores why journalists risk their lives to cover the news. Through narration and interviews conducted by Dan's sister, Amy, the movie weaves Dan's story with those of other journalists in war-torn lands, and has been shown by CNN all over the world.

There's also talk of a feature film on Dan's life. Kathy says Orlando Bloom is interested in playing the lead.

Kathy will be in Chapel Hill on Friday to show "Dying to Tell the Story" and to talk with students and the public about journalists and their role in covering dangerous stories.

She spoke about her son, journalism and the film during a recent phone call from her California home.

Q - Did you ever talk with Dan about the possibility of dying for the story?

A - Our last conversation, it was getting really bad in Somalia. Remember, I was a journalist -- I had been a journalist in Kenya, I had covered a coup, much to my husband's distress -- and I really was aware of the danger. But actually, Dan seemed to have a pretty charmed life. He really knew how to function in dangerous situations. But there towards the end, in April, May, June of 1993, I was getting very anxious about his safety. In June, there had been a murder of some 19 Pakistanis and they had been skinned -- it was truly horrific -- it was a kind of escalating retaliation situation between the U.N. troops under the United States' guidance and the Somalis. I was very anxious and Dan called me. He said he had to stay. I said, "Dan, don't you think it's time to get out?" And he said, "No, Mom, I have to stay. The story isn't done, I have to cover it."

Q - How did you balance your worrying feelings as a mother with your knowledge that journalists want the story?

A - I think I just had so much faith in Dan's ability to maneuver his way out of a situation. So it was really more just my trust in Dan, because he was brought up in Africa, he was very street-wise, very bush-wise. Nobody had been killed. So I don't think it was really a reality -- he had dodged bullets and there was always that threat -- but somehow we were living in a bubble in a way. I was worried, but I didn't think it would ever be that bad.

Q - Do you take the film around to universities regularly?

A - Last year we went to Babson, Amy and I, and all 300 of their incoming freshmen had Dan's book as part of a course on identity. And we showed "Dying to Tell the Story." It's been shown all over the world. It's used in colleges, schools of journalism, all over the world.

Q - Is there anything in particular that you think student journalists should take away from it?

A - Two of its principal characters are 22 years old. So it's a remarkable vehicle for young journalists to feel aware and involved in the process of news-gathering. And it's these two -- Dan and Amy -- Amy follows Dan's story and tries to understand it through her interviews with other journalists. So in a way, it's probably Amy asking all the questions that young journalists might wish to ask of these stellar people. And I think it opens up a world that otherwise is a little inaccessible. We've been able to watch the embedded journalists in Iraq, but it's not often that you really get to sit down with a journalist and say, "Why the heck are you doing this? What on earth are you doing, putting your life at risk?" Fifty-one journalists have died in Iraq so far. And I'm sure that any of those young people sitting in the audience would have to ask, "How far am I prepared to go to tell the story?"

Staff writer Matt Ehlers can be reached at 829-4889 or mehlers@newsobserver.com.

DETAILS

WHO: Kathy Eldon, screening the documentary, "Dying to Tell the Story."

WHEN: 2 p.m. Friday.

WHERE: Carroll Hall Auditorium at UNC-Chapel Hill.

COST: Free. The screening, and the Q-and-A session that follows, are open to the public.

CALL: 966-7024

MORE INFO: www.jomc.unc.edu/ executiveeducation/dying/

http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/sto.p-7916711c.html

Patty, thanks so much for sharing this news. I really want to see this film. So far I haven't been able to find a local source for renting/borrowing it.

I would love the opportunity to be able to hear Kathy Eldon talk about her son and the possible project with Orlando. I'm sure listening to her talk would be quite an emotional experience for everyone in the audience.

Wouldn't it be something if we could arrange a screening and discussion with Kathy at the Konvention?

Wouldn't it be something if we could arrange a screening and discussion with Kathy at the Konvention?

Funny that you'd mention it, rebecca. I had already planned tentatively to screen it at the KB Kon, and I got a response this morning from Kathy who said she and Amy were thrilled that we might do so. :)

I would love to see this documentary, it sounds truly compelling and emotional. I would love to se a movie about Dan's tragic story brought to life. I get the feeling that Kathy or Amy would not let just anyone make this into a Hollywood affair. It would have to be done right, by the right person, and so they must have some faith that Orlando could portray Dan with truthfullness. Done right, this would be an emotional, gritty film.

Geri, I hope you do not mind me asking, but how do you know Kathy? She seems a very strong and courageous woman.

Guest Smolak

Such a sad story it would be to tell, but I seriously think Orlando could do it. He has the range and the capability to do something like this. I know I would cry my eyes out at a movie like this but it would move me in such a way that I would be glad that Dan Eldon's story was told.

Such a sad story it would be to tell, but I seriously think Orlando could do it.  He has the range and the capability to do something like this.   I know I would cry my eyes out at a movie like this but it would move me in such a way that I would be glad that Dan Eldon's story was told.

I think I read that Dan was stoned to death in Somalia in 1993? The same year that fiasco of Black Hawk Down happened. And from everything I hear, this project is very close to Orlando's heart. I sure hope it comes to fruition. I think a story like this needs to be told. And who better than Orlando to tell it? I saw pictures of Dan, and there is a striking resemblance between Dan and Orlando. Go for it, Orlando! I hope you get to make this film. And I will be the first in line to see it! :)

I would love to see this documentary, it sounds truly compelling and emotional. I would love to se a movie about Dan's tragic story brought to life. I get the feeling that Kathy or Amy would not let just anyone make this into a Hollywood affair. It would have to be done right, by the right person, and so they must have some faith that Orlando could portray Dan with truthfullness. Done right, this would be an emotional, gritty film.

Geri, I hope you do not mind me asking, but how do you know Kathy? She seems a very strong and courageous woman.

I emailed Kathy about a year and half ago to tell her I was touched by her son's story. I'd been to the website she organized and then I got the book that shows Dan's journals. She was very appreciative and we've stayed in touch, emailing every few months. She's a very talented and exceptional person in her own right, which makes it no surprise her children are so gifted. Kathy actually produced this documentary that follows Amy around on her quest to understand why her brother and those like him are willing to put themselves in harm's way to tell a story.

Guest Smolak

That's great that you and her keep in touch, HR! I don't know much about Dan, I admit, but from what I hear, he was a brave man and deserves to be remembered fondly. I would feel honored to see such a wonderful documentary!

Guest britgirl22

I bought a VHS copy of the documentary from amazon when I bought Dan's journal and the biography on him. I think it wasn't expensive at all. Truly a sad story. Listening to Dan's sister interview his fellow journalists as well as some of those who were present the day Dan died was very emotional. If I remember right, Dan was supposed to have left but stayed behind an extra few days. Watching the clips of Dan in the documentary, knowing how he died was heartrending.

I hope that Dan's story does get brought to the screen. Orlando does resemble Dan somewhat so I think it's a good match. It'd be a great part. Maybe after Pirates he'll have the time. Hopefully KOH and Elizabethtown will do amazingly well and Orlando wil be able to push this project.

I just paid a visit to The ZReview site and it had this news. I do not think it is any way new, nor does Orlando's quote sound like him, I think I have read it before in relation to another movie. :salt:

Monday 19th May 2003: Dan Eldon Biopic Update:

Orlando Bloom has revealed that he is keen to star in a movie based on the life of photojournalist Dan Eldon. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer seems to be keen on the idea too "It's a good choice. The movie has a broad spectrum. This will help Orlando down the path of becoming a true movie star" Orlando had this to say about a movie as well "When I first got the script, I was like, I'm not really interested. I just wasn't in the head space to think about doing a big American blockbuster. And then it was put to me in a different way, which was that if I opened a door like this, it will ultimately put me in a marketplace where I can get projects made that I want to get made" The first draft of the script has been written by Jan Sardi.

I have a feeling that this quote refers to POTC.

So, major example of bad jouralism here. :rant:

I just paid a visit to The ZReview site and it had this news. I do not think it is any way new, nor does Orlando's quote sound like him, I think I have read it before in relation to another movie. :salt:

Monday 19th May 2003: Dan Eldon Biopic Update:

Orlando Bloom has revealed that he is keen to star in a movie based on the life of photojournalist Dan Eldon. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer seems to be keen on the idea too "It's a good choice. The movie has a broad spectrum. This will help Orlando down the path of becoming a true movie star" Orlando had this to say about a movie as well "When I first got the script, I was like, I'm not really interested. I just wasn't in the head space to think about doing a big American blockbuster. And then it was put to me in a different way, which was that if I opened a door like this, it will ultimately put me in a marketplace where I can get projects made that I want to get made" The first draft of the script has been written by Jan Sardi.

I have a feeling that this quote refers to POTC.

So, major example of bad jouralism here. :rant:

Yep - that quote was from a POTC interview.

I thought so, BigBird. Thanks.

All journo's, online or off, that can't get their facts right= :zap:

Thanks so much for bringing that error to our attention, Rona. I've written to the editor of the Z Review and pointed out their mistakes.

I found where they scraped the information from another film review site, and by editing out a few words from the original copy (those identifying the statements as being made about POTC), they've managed to change the entire meaning. Such lazy reporting. :rant:

Thanks so much for bringing that error to our attention, Rona. I've written to the editor of the Z Review and pointed out their mistakes.

I found where they scraped the information from another film review site, and by editing out a few words from the original copy (those identifying the statements as being made about POTC), they've managed to change the entire meaning. Such lazy reporting. :rant:

You are very welcome. I hope such crap reporting as this example does not harm the future project of the movie. :(

Now that the copies of this film and "The Art of Life" are being circulated to ka-Bloom subscribers/contributors, it will be interesting to hear what some more of you think of the film.