LenaLove

56 posts in this topic

It totally beats me, now why the movie critics hated this lovely little movie. It is just darned right sad that they didn't get the whole joke at all and panned it from day one. :(

I knew I would enjoy this movie, as Orlando Bloom is in it. That goes without saying. What I didn't expect was to laugh myself silly at the other main characters, that Orlando is a terrific comedian and so natural as Jimmy Connelly, and that the story is a giggle from the opening titles.

I got more and more downhearted the more mag reviews I read when the movie was released. I was downright depressed when it closed after a week before I got the chance to go see it. Well, I hired the DVD last night. B)

Hubby's first reaction when I came back from the video hire store was "Oh, you have got to be joking! I am not watching a movie with that prat in it! This film is supposed to be crap. I am not watching it!"

His reaction half way through was "this is quite good!". His reaction when it was over? "My god, that was funny. That Bloom chap can act!" He preceded to then put the movie on again and watch it all the way through one more time, including the deleted scenes and outtakes. (Yes, there are outtakes!) :w00t:

Click For Spoiler

So to the film critics, yes the editing is jumpy.that is the joke.

Yes, the "Rocky" theme is a cliche.that is the joke.

Yes, Orlando Bloom seems an odd choice to play a boxer. That is the freaking :censor: JOKE!

Go see it, guys. You will love it. And if you don't get the joke, it is worth watching purely for the locker room deleted scene (Olando in nothing but a towel!), his "burping" outtake, and his funny facial expressions throughout the movie.

Wonderfull! :faint:

That is encouraging news.

I have my copy now, having bought it today, but am putting off watching it until I have a nice empty house and can squee and drool in privacy.

Yes I know it is insane to buy a DVD on the day it comes out and then put off watching it, but I had to rescue him from the supermarket shelf - you see the idiot who priced them up had put a big round price sticker right over his face. :(

I told the girl at the counter that it wasn't good, and they'd sell more if people could see his face!

Idiots! :rant:

Kathryn.

Lenalove, you give me hope. :)

I'm still waiting for this loverly gem to get to America. or if it's already here, to my local blockbusters!

Apparently those critics have no sense of humor. :blink:

I'm really looking forward to this, I'd love to see Orlando in a comedy. Hopefully the powers that be realize what a market they are missing in North America and release it here someday!!

Thanks for sharing about the movie. I'm still waiting for it to arrive here in the US, but plan on renting it. Sounds like you enjoyed it and now it makes me want to see it even more. Orlando said he really enjoyed making the movie and I look forward to the obvious humor! :)

Guest BandGeek

After reading this I have become even more interested in seing this movie. I live in the US so I have no idea when I will be able to see it. I'm so upset that I am not able to see one of Orlando's movies! :rant: Hopefully It will be released soon so that I wont be bothered about it anymore.

:wink:

BG

Guest Duckie

Warning: spoilers ahead!

I watched my Calcium Kid DVD too, last night. First of all, I'd like to say: MUSCLES!!! Especially the arms and abs. Milk definitely does the body good! OK, tuning down the fangirl mode. I thought the movie was incredibly funny, I laughed out loud more than a few times! It was great to see Orlando act like a bit of a goofball. And he made the most adorable faces. And of course, I didn't mind him talking to the camera! Orlando was so cute when he was trying to read the card in Spanish at the press conference.

I really enjoyed the other characters as well. Mr. Bush was very funny, as was best mate Stan and the Irish boxing coach. And I LOVED the London accent. Especially the way they said "motivator" without pronouncing the t's.

I laughed so hard when Mr. Bush said: "Has your cheese slid off its cracker?". I think I'm gonna start using that expression myself, it's hilarious!!

And then there's the whole "say my name" bit. Here's a little tip: plug your earphones into the TV when you watch that scene. Very nice.

And I finally got to hear Orlando's potty mouth! I've been wanting to hear him swear for a long time. I know, I need help!

Anyway, I think the Calcium Kid is a lovely, funny little British movie and Orlando can definitely pull of a comedic role. I'd like to see more of his goofy side in movies!

Duckie

Guest Tattoochris

We were all set up for the big viewing today, popcorn, coke, sweets, and then the postman walked past the door :(:angry: Amazon.co.uk have made me mad today.and Hubbie works for them.he had better have a good excuse when he gets home later!!

Chris

I don't think I did the movie justice in my original post, to be honest. I really hope it is released in the US and everywhere else, and soon.

If this movie had been given the chance it would have been a huge success, even if the only people going to see it were purely Orlando fans. It is the kind of movie you have to see at least twice, and if all orlando fans went to see it twice, across the globe, it would have broken records.

So :rant: to the critics that didn't give it a chance, :rant: to the film company/producers for chickening out, and :rant: to the distributors that effectively killed it dead.

Sure it was a cheapy compared to LOTR or POTC, but that was no reason to let down every Orlando fan in the world. And as I said above, my hubby was no Orlando fan. But he is now, thanks to this little movie.

Click For Spoiler
Orlando looks so comfortable and totally at ease making this. He is unbelievably cute playing naive, then accepting, to the let-down of being used and abused by his manager, with wonderful comic moments in between. His performance as Jimmy when it all starts to go horribly wrong and he is ostracised by the community is downright heart-breaking. :cry: I won't spoil it completely for anyone who had to read this, but the twist is edge-of-your-seat stuff leading to a feel-good ending.

It makes me wonder - did the critics even watch this movie at all? :blink:

I totally agree with LenaLove. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie in the cinema - as did my husband - and enjoyed it even more the second time around.

Click For Spoiler
As for the deleted locker room scene, maybe they were afraid it would cause mass heart failure or spontaneous combustion :kablaam: among female members of the audience.

And did you notice - the towel was YELLOW!

edited for poor spelling.

Edited by Aniethen

I got my copy yesterday and after watching it twice already I have to agree, I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud. The outtakes make me cry laughing. There are obviously people out there who either have no sense of humour (critics) or who have an alternative agenda.

Guest Kairi Li

Can anyone with the DVD describe what was in all the deleted scenes and the bloopers?

If you guys don't wanna spoil stuff, can anyone message me them? thanks!

I ordered my DVD at Hong Kong Records, still waiting.

Guest MereBearSquared

LenaLove, thank you so much for posting this, it makes me extremely happy that even though the critics are giving it bad reviews, there is still hope! I mean, you have to think, the critics aren't always right. I can't wait for this to get to America. It's going to be phenominal!

Guest Smolak

I can't wait for mine! Thank goodness I have a multi-region DVD player! Or I'd be waiting for Jimmy in the U.S. as well! Life is good and it will be better after my DVD arrives!

:boxing:

Can anyone with the DVD describe what was in all the deleted scenes and the bloopers?

If you guys don't wanna spoil stuff, can anyone message me them? thanks!

I ordered my DVD at Hong Kong Records, still waiting.

I'll be posting screencaps from the 'extras' once I've finished with the film itself - I'll try to explain them as I do it - but include the spoiler tag for those who want to keep some mystery.

Hope your dvd arrives soon, Kairi. :hug:

Well, having bought the DVD I've finally seen this movie. I thought Orlando was great and looked amazing... and really boyish. It's striking just how much he's changed in a couple of years.

Generally I found the movie "ok." There were some parts that annoyed me... I know it intended to be ridiculous and a comedy but the plot was probably just a bit simplistic for my liking. But, hey, I'm trying to be objective and not say it's a wonderful movie just because the Gorgeous One is in it.

I'll watch it again and may invite hubby to join me to see if it converts him to admitting Orlando is actually a good actor. He's always complaining our boy does too much costume stuff so he might change his opinion.

But the hugely distracting factor for me was that the streets and parks where Orlando is running and spending time are in precisely the part of London (Vauxhall/Lambeth) I used to work (between '92 and '96). I spent the whole time pausing the DVD checking out the locations in areas I remember so well. Places of note for me were:

* Jimmy's house was just up the road from my old office

* The scene where the lady removed her, ahem, "undergarment" for Jimmy to sign was in the road behind my office which I used to walk down practically daily to get my lunchtime sandwich! At the end of the scene the camera rises and you can see an office with a red roof in the background.... that was right opposite my office in a small business park!

* The scene where the skinheads appear from the park was filmed by the park where I sometimes used to eat my lunch in the summer with colleagues

* I recognised many of the tower blocks which we could see from our office

* I remember the John Bull pub... don't believe we ever drank there because it looked slightly dodgy (but it may not be... just not my kind of place really)

* On occasions you see the Lambeth Walk shopping centre. This, again, was 5 minutes from the office and the only place we had time to go during our lunch breaks. There really are some wonderful and colourful characters over there and it has a "south London" character of its own.... if a little scary, at times. I remember a colleague being chased back to the office by some kids throwing stones at her once!

All in all, it took me back. Now that I live outside London it feels like a world away.

So, I'm probably not equipped to comment on the movie as the whole time I was agonising over the fact that I could have been there had I not left my old company!

As I've said, I will watch it again and I would recommend it to anyone as Jimmy is a lovely character and the movie does have many good and truly comedic moments. I actually felt that Jimmy himself became a more motivational character later in the movie, as he became more independent and angry about what was happening to him.

I would imagine our non-UK ka-bloomie friends will have a great deal of difficulty understanding what is going on! The accent/slang is very "Sarf Landan"... ie. South London.

Anyway, long post, over to the rest of you ladies.

Guest Blurryangel

I just saw it and I have to say, I thought it was very cute. You really couldn't stop giggeling and I felt really bad for Jimmy sometimes. (i'm not revealing why! :devil: ) I think Orlando did a good job, acting is not easy, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to be funny. I loved the south London accent, priceless. As Duckie said so well, the "say my name" scene is my favourite. I really do recomend it if you're looking for a giigle if not, STAY OUT. It's not a high class drama and it is a low budget film, but those are my favourite. This was just my personal opinion, I hope that all who can get it do! I bought it on amazon and it came in my mail after about three days ( I live in northern europe, Sweden).

Go JIMMY! :boxing:

Guest Pseudgirl

Well I'm backing up LenaLove, I just watched it for the first time tonight and I LOVE IT!!! Some critics just don't have a sense of humour, or at least not one that's off-beat enough to like things like CK. Sure, it's not going to set the world on fire, but it's just gorgeous, I really genuinely loved it from start to finish, and I think I still would have with someone else in the role of Jimmy (arrrggghhh, wash my mouth out with soap, what an idea!! :wink: ). So people who have been put off by the reviews, take heart and get your hands on it as soon as it's available because it's much better than the "experts" would have you believe. :)

Cazrider is right when she says the accents may be hard for our American cousins to follow sometimes. You might need the subtitles on in some scenes as the characters speak with very thick accents and talk really fast. But you will get the gist of it, and once you get the hang of the "Sarf Landan" accent you will still love it.

Besides, after you have watched it once or thrice you will know the script off by heart. :whistle:

Hm, well I guess I am going to make myself extremely unpopular now - I can see exactly why it got panned by the critics. :tomato: I must preface my comments by saying that I am a bit of a snob, and tend to over-analyse everything I watch, and am incredibly critical, and that I know someone who will love it to bits because she's a lot less demanding than me.

BUT, in my opinion:

It's quite possibly the worst film that Orlando has ever been in (and hopefully will ever be in).

I'm sorry I just had to say it - 'low budget' is an understatement for this film, and it really shows in the ending. The script is pretty dire, the plot ridiculous, and most of the characters terribly overacted.

I was really surprised to realise how much I had enjoyed it by the end! The only reason this film offers any entertainment value at all is Orlando - he makes an awful film pretty watchable, really.

It's not that I would call his performance stunning, or innovative, he doesn't do a lot with the material, really - not that the script gives him anything to work with. To be honest it really shouldn't work as well as it does.

There's only one thing it can be - charisma. :wub:

He just has fantastic screen presence and charm - he's the only thing worth watching the film for. In fact I felt like he should have had a lot more screen time - I found I enjoyed the film a lot more when I skipped the over-acted subplots and went straight to the Jimmy bits. The film improved a lot towards the end purely because he was getting more screen time - some heavy editing would have improved it a lot at the start.

Everyone who has ever complained about him over-acting, or a 'stagey' feel to his dialogue should see this film - he delivers his lines in a wonderfully understated way, especially compared to how everyone around him is acting. He gives an intense but contained performance. He doesn't need to be waving his arms about - and that makes his dressing-room moment all the more convincing.

BTW, everyone who has said that he would look good in a bin bag - you were right!

So, to summarise, I can completely understand why this film did not do well, but would still say it is worth a watch, but only for Orlando. Just don't take any high expectations in with you - LOTR it aint.

It does offer some very nice visuals though. :naughty:

I'm going to stop now before I get beaten up! :boxing:

Kathryn.

I'm going to stop now before I get beaten up! :boxing:

Kathryn.

Don't worry Kathryn... we ka-bloomies are not known for outbursts of aggression!

Personally I agree with a lot of what Kathryn has said. In my earlier post I was probably quite generous in saying I found the movie "ok." Thinking about it it was Orlando's performance that left me with a better overall impression of the movie than I was feeling as I watched it. I almost skipped through some of the non-Jimmy scenes because they were winding me up quite a lot (but I made myself watch it through to give it a chance).

One thing that bothers me was that I certainly read at least one review back in April where the reviewer criticised Orlando's performance, saying that he is overshadowed by the other characters in the movie and doesn't "carry" the leading role effectively. I must say I really disagree and find it strange a reviewer would say that.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what other ka-bloomies have to say about The Calcium Kid.

Don't worry Kathryn. we ka-bloomies are not known for outbursts of aggression!

One thing that bothers me was that I certainly read at least one review back in April where the reviewer criticised Orlando's performance, saying that he is overshadowed by the other characters in the movie and doesn't "carry" the leading role effectively. I must say I really disagree and find it strange a reviewer would say that.

Phew. Glad to hear it Cazrider!

I can actually understand why the reviewer said that - it's because everyone else was seriously over-acting early on in the film, whereas Orlando is (quite rightly) playing a laid-back and naive character who doesn't quite comprehend what is going on, but is going with the flow. Everyone else is going on like the world's about to end.

It's towards the end, when Jimmy takes control of his situation, that he starts to feel like the main character, in fact the protagonist of the story. Orlando's acting is perfect for his character arc - it's a shame the other actors seem not to know what the phrase means. I know it's a comedy, but you need to be a lot funnier than that to get away with chewing the scenery in the way they all do.

I definitely recommend the scene-skipping tactic - the plot is thin enough that it doesn't stop you understanding it (as opposed to Ned Kelly where I missed about one minute and totally didn't understand the end of the film).

Kathryn.

Guest Kairi Li

I GOT THE DVD!

And I enjoyed the movie. Sure it's no epic or great drama, but it was funny, and Orlando fitted the role perfectly, he probably felt the same of what Jimmy was feeling, what with the sudden fame and all.

The Bloopers and Deleted Scenes are hilarious as well!

Get this if you're an Orlando fan!

Guest Aranel

I don't have the DVD, but a co-worker got me a copy of the movie (he refuses to reveal his sources) so I've seen it. It was cute. Not the best movie I've seen Orlando in, but it was pretty good.

I don't know if this has been answered already, but I heard that the CK is not going to be available in the US at all. (Both in the theater and for purchase as a DVD.) Is this true?

I just received mine in the mail at school!!! [schoolgirlmode]SQUEEEE!!![/schoolgirlmode]

Will review when I am finished watching. I don't think I have been this excited since.ROTK came out on DVD! :w00t:

Bring on Jimmy!!! :naughty: