ka-Bloom.org Forum

Haven: Toronto Film Festival

Ginger

Here's the official website for the Toronto International Film Festival, set this year for September 9th through the 18th.

I could not find confirmation on the site that HAVEN is scheduled. They have announced in press releases certain films. A quick scan did not reveal HAVEN, but that should not be discouraging.

The site does say that the complete Film Title List will be available on August 24th.

Single tickets may be ordered on-line or at the various Festival Box Offices starting September 8th.

Festival Passes and Coupon Books maybe ordered now either on-line, by phone at (416) 968-FILM, or at the Box Office located at the Manulife Center at 55 Bloor Street West. The College Park Box Office location opens on August 31st.

All such info is duly noted on the ka-Bloom Calendar to remind us.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this. It just so happens that we are attending a friend's wedding in Toronto on September 18th. We were planning on arriving a couple of days before to see some of the city.

Oh, man, if we could get tickets to Haven... B)

I am keeping my fingers crossed for "Haven" at the Toronto Film Festival, but then again, it's me and it's not like I am even going to end up going. We are all lazy people in my family, and even if we really want to go somewhere, we usually don't end up there. :lol:

Hopefully if it is playing, I'll make more of an effort because my brother lives downtown now.

I'm sorry to sound like an idiot, but would someone please tell me which category would "Haven" be listed under, if it's showing? (And yes, I know the list won't show up until late August.) Any help in shedding some light on this would be greatly appreciated. You can either PM me or post here, as I do check back from time to time.

Thank you all :grouphug: ,

Ternell

would someone please tell me which category would "Haven" be listed under, if it's showing? Any help in shedding some light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :grouphug: ,

Ternell

My guess would be the Programme: 'Contemporary World Cinema'. I was looking at the other ones, and I don't think it would be part of 'Special Presentations' or 'Viacom Galas' and a lot of the others have a Canadian slant.

There was an article in the Toronto Star today listing the Canadian entries to the festival, so the movie announcements are slowly starting to trickle in - if I see anything about Haven in the paper and/or the site, I'll post ASAP!!

Jules

Hey Jules,

Thank you for answering my response. :hug:

I was hoping that it wouldn't be listed under the VIACOM/Special Presentation headings, because those events are already sold out. :weep:

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you're right, and "Haven" is in the Contemporary World Cinema category.

I don't think any of the newsstands I have access to carries The Toronto Star though. :( I'll check and see if they have an online version. (I know it's not as good as the real deal, but every little bit helps. :) )

Thanks again,

Ternell

Guest laconejita

Well, it's not much to go with, but it's something.

Rumor has it that Haven will be premiering at the Toronto Film Festival on either Sept. 11th or 12th.

I don't know how accurate that is, but I want to pass all possible information on to my fellow ka-Bloomies.

IMDB board

SQUEEE.I'm so exicted! :clap: I am praying that they show Haven at the Toronto Film Festival, on September 12 preferably (I have a wedding on the 11th). My bestfriend and I have already decided that we will be buying tickets to see it.

I am also crossing my fingers that Orlando might show up, this might be my only opportunity to actually meet him since I don't travel very often.

AAAHHHH!! OK, I know, get a grip - but Haven is coming to Toronto!!

News release posted on Film Festival site today:

World and North American Premieres Added to Special Presentations

http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2004/mediace.lease.asp?id=64

Toronto – Five world premieres and one North American premiere have been added to the Special Presentations line up at the 29th Toronto International Film Festival ®, for a total of 13 films in Special Presentations announced to date. The world premieres are CRASH, from Paul Haggis; John Duigan's HEAD IN THE CLOUDS; ***** HAVEN, by Frank E. Flowers ****** ; Alexander Payne's SIDEWAYS; and James Toback's WHEN WILL I BE LOVED. Niels Mueller's THE ASSASSINATION OF RICHARD NIXON receives its North American premiere.

HAVEN, Frank E. Flowers' enormously entertaining feature debut, is an absorbing crime-drama about greed, love, and vengeance. After his home is swarmed by federal officers, Carl Ridley (Bill Paxton), a shady Miami businessman, flees to the Cayman Islands. Carl's arrival, unbeknownst to him, sets off a chain of events that lead Shy (Orlando Bloom), a British expatriate living on the island, to commit a terrible crime.

I'm shaking. OK, gotta figure out what day it's screening, if possible - [runs off to do more research, if fingers will let me type]

Jules

Haven is finally confirmed at the Toronto Film Festival. From Entertainment - AP:

More than 300 films from 50 countries are to be shown on 21 screens during the Sept. 9-18 event.

Other world premiere Hollywood titles announced on Tuesday for the festival:

_David O. Russell's "I (Heart) Huckabees," with Dustin Hoffman, Jude Law, Jason Schwartzman, Naomi Watts, Lili Tomlin, Mark Wahlberg (news) and Isabelle Huppert. It's described as an existential comedy.

_Bill Condon's "Kinsey," with Liam Neeson as the famed sex scientist. Co-stars include Peter Saarsgaard, Timothy Hutton, John Lithgow, Tim Curry (news), Oliver Platt and Lynn Redgrave.

_Dan Harris's directorial debut, "Imaginary Heroes," starring Emile Hirsch ("The Girl Next Door"), Sigourney Weaver and Jeff Daniels (news) in a coming-of-age story that peels back the facade of an American family to reveal that nothing is as it seems.

Also added to the Special Presentations lineup are Paul Haggis's "Crash," John Duigan's "Head in the Clouds," Frank E. Flowers' "Haven," Alexander Payne's "Sideways" and James Toback's "When Will I Be Loved." Also Niels Mueller's "The Assassination of Richard Nixon" gets its North American premiere.

Guest sweetbaby231

YAY! :shiny: That's great news. I guess it being under a SPECIAL presentation means that it's a pretty big deal, right? (In other words, how big of a deal is that?)

I guess it being under a SPECIAL presentation means that it's a pretty big deal, right? (In other words, how big of a deal is that?)

As per the Film Festival website:

Toronto Film Festival - Special Presentations

"The Festival presents approximately 20 films in this section. It is a showcase for high-profile films featuring major stars and directors. Last year's audiences saw Academy Award®-winning LOST IN TRANSLATION, DOGVILLE and THE STATION AGENT. In previous years audiences enjoyed films such as BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE, THE QUIET AMERICAN, TALK TO HER, 8 MILE, PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE, AMÉLIE and the Genie Award-winning ATANARJUAT (THE FAST RUNNER)."

He's in pretty good company, huh?!

Jules

P.S. Glad I'm getting so much done this afternoon - something seems to have distracted me :whistle:

[fangirl moment] OH MY GOD, SQUEEEEE [/fangirl moment]

Phew, I feel better now.

Oh man, is Orlando going to be at the festival?

I think I read somewhere that the filming of E-Town wraps up in October so I'm not sure if he would be coming to Toronto. :cry:

I was hoping that it wouldn't be listed under the VIACOM/Special Presentation headings, because those events are already sold out. 

Oh no, does this mean I can't buy a single ticket to go see it?? Please say it isn't so. :(

:O

That’s so cool! Lots of big stars usually turn up for the TO Film Festival so, if he’s not busy filming, maybe Orlando will make an appearance (we can always hope, right?) Who knows, maybe I’ll actually get to go…

Oh man, is Orlando going to be at the festival? I live in Waterloo which is 1 hour away from Toronto . :whistle:

Jade, we’re practically neighbours, I live in Cambridge.

I was hoping that it wouldn't be listed under the VIACOM/Special Presentation headings, because those events are already sold out. 

Oh no, does this mean I can't buy a single ticket to go see it?? Please say it isn't so. :(

I'm taking a walk over to the box office tomorrow on my lunch hour and I'm going to try and get more info. - the website says that GALA and VISA Screening Room passes are sold out - but I'm not sure that means that the movies themselves are sold out - hopefully, only a certain segment of the theatre are designated for passes!? The schedule for movies isn't available until August 24th - nothing like letting us plan ahead, huh?! :wtf: Will post if I'm able to get any info.

Jules

Is anyone planning on going to the Toronto Film Festival? (provided that Haven is going to premiere there) I won't be able to make it as my husband will be returning from a three month deployment two days after it starts. (as much as I adore Orlando, hubby comes first)

I would be interested in hearing any ka-bloomie's experiences there.

The festival runs from 9-18 September. http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2004/default.asp

There is the website for any interested in checking it out.

I'm taking a walk over to the box office tomorrow on my lunch hour and I'm going to try and get more info. - the website says that GALA and VISA Screening Room passes are sold out - but I'm not sure that means that the movies themselves are sold out - hopefully, only a certain segment of the theatre are designated for passes!? The schedule for movies isn't available until August 24th - nothing like letting us plan ahead, huh?!  :wtf:  Will post if I'm able to get any info.

Jules if we are able to get tickets we should meet up down there, it'll be nice to meet a fellow ka-bloomie!!

Orlando MIGHT be there.

From The Toronto Star - Aug. 11, 2004. 01:00 AM

Stars lining up for film festival

World premieres and red carpet galas announced Jiminy Glick 's T.O.-shot spoof gets prime spot

PETER HOWELL

MOVIE CRITIC

The star power just turned brighter for next month's Toronto film festival.

The festival yesterday announced four more films for its big-ticket Gala program (including the closing-night film Jiminy Glick In LaLaWood), plus another six movies for its prestigious Special Presentations line-up. Most are world premieres and all are expected to summon a wealth of celebrities to Toronto Sept. 9-18.

The attendance list hasn't been finalized yet, but the confirmation of a Gala or Special Presentation slot, plus a world premiere, strongly tips to the likelihood of the film's talent being on hand to walk up the red carpet and/or to party at chi-chi downtown nightspots.

Movie fans can hope to see most or all of the following celebs: Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Dustin Hoffman, Penelope Cruz, Mark Wahlberg, Orlando Bloom, Lily Tomlin, Matt Dillon, Isabelle Huppert, Liam Neeson, Sigourney Weaver, Sandra Bullock, Lynn Redgrave, Ryan Phillippe, Paul Giamatti, Don Cheadle, Bill Paxton, Thandie Newton, Jeff Daniels, Martin Short, Janeane Garofalo, Laura Linney, Tim Curry, John Lithgow, Peter Sarsgaard, Brendan Fraser, Timothy Hutton, Jason Schwartzman, Emile Hirsch and Neve Campbell, with many more names to come.

This year's main Oscar stars, Best Actress Charlize Theron and Best Actor Sean Penn, are also possible visitors. Theron's new romance drama Head In The Clouds, in which she stars with her Irish actor boyfriend Stuart Townsend, was supposed to have its first showing in Toronto, but it was snapped up yesterday by its Montreal rival, The World Film Festival. The film will still screen here as a Special Presentation, but as a Toronto premiere instead of a world premiere, making Theron's presence iffy.

Penn is less likely to show up in Toronto than Theron. He rarely attends festivals and his new film The Assassination Of Richard Nixon, which reunites him with his 21 Grams co-star Naomi Watts, has already premiered at Cannes. It receives its North American premiere at Toronto.

The four Galas announced yesterday are all world premieres:

I Huckabees: The latest from David O. Russell (Three Kings) brings together Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Naomi Watts, Mark Wahlberg, Isabelle Huppert and Jason Schwartzman for the comic tale of an environmentalist, played by Schwartzman (Rushmore), who suddenly finds himself pondering the meaning of life. He hires Existential Detectives to assist, but complications ensue.

Imaginary Heroes: The feature directorial debut by X-Men 2 screenwriter Dan Harris stars Sigourney Weaver as the drug-chugging matriarch of the troubled Travis clan, an American family on the verge of falling apart. Jeff Daniels plays her husband, Emile Hirsch her son and the film is billed as "funny and poignant."

Kinsey: Alfred Kinsey's landmark 1948 study into male sexuality — which discovered that Americans really like sex — is the steamy subject of this latest by Oscar-winning writer/director Bill Condon (Gods And Monsters). Liam Neeson plays Kinsey; the star-studded ensemble cast also includes Laura Linney, Chris O'Donnell, Peter Sarsgaard, Lynn Redgrave, Timothy Hutton, John Lithgow, Tim Curry, Oliver Platt and Dylan Baker.

Jiminy Glick In LaLaWood: Sounds like a Hollywood story, and it is, but it's set at the Toronto International Film Festival, which makes this an appropriate closing-night pick. Martin Short stars as the title character, an entertainment critic for a TV station in Butte, Montana, who comes to the Toronto fest and stumbles into unexpected fame. The supporting cast includes Janeane Garofalo, Jan Hooks, John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Perkins. Vadim Jean (One More Kiss) directs.

The Special Presentations announced yesterday are also world premieres, with the exception of Head In The Clouds and The Assassination Of Richard Nixon:

Sideways: Alexander Payne's follow-up to his hit comedy About Schmidt stars Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church as two buddies on a road trip celebrating the final days of bachelorhood for one of them. They encounter two women (Sandra Oh and Virginia Madsen) who make them question their life quests.

Head In The Clouds: A romantic drama by John Duigan (Lawn Dogs), set near the start of World War II, pairs Theron and Townsend. Penelope Cruz also stars.

Crash: An L.A. story and the feature debut of Canadian writer/director Paul Haggis draws together the lives of eight people connected to a car crash and a murder investigation. Cast includes Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Ryan Phillippe, Thandie Newton, Brendan Fraser, Jennifer Esposito and Ludacris.

Haven: The feature directing debut by Frank E. Flowers stars Bill Paxton as a shady Miami businessman who evades the law by fleeing to the Cayman Islands. His arrival sets off a chain of events that spells trouble for Orlando Bloom, playing a shy British expatriate.

When Will I Be Loved: Five years after he brought Black And White to the festival, director James Toback returns with a movie about a scheme by a nervy woman (Neve Campbell) and her hustler boyfriend (Frederick Weller) to fleece an aging Italian media mogul for $100,000.

The Assassination Of Richard Nixon: Niels Mueller, the writer of Tadpole, makes his directing debut with a truth-based drama set in the scandalous 1970s, starring Sean Penn as a disgruntled furniture salesman who plans to kill the 37th President of the United States. Naomi Watts, Don Cheadle and Jack Thomson also star.

These announcements bring the total number of Galas to 10 (out of an expected 20) and 13 Special Presentations confirmed to date for the festival.

The festival yesterday also announced the acquisition for its Film Reference Library of The Pashkovsky Collection, a cache of nearly 400 photographs by Hollywood photographer Jack Pashkovsky, who died in 2001. The photos are of such Golden Age stars as Greta Garbo, Clark Gable and Cary Grant. The collection is being donated by filmmaker Barry Avrich.

All empahasis is mine.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all who are going though!

Dairwendan

nothing like letting us plan ahead, huh?! :wtf: Will post if I'm able to get any info.

Yes please, tell us what you know. I am in Cornwall and hoping to go as well. This is so exciting!