Dairwendan

Elizabethtown Soundtrack

On Cameron Crowe's site I believe he says that his wife Nancy Wilson (Heart) is writing all the music for E-town, but I just read this article on Paul Westerberg which says -

It's been more than a decade since Westerberg specifically wrote songs for director Cameron Crowe's classic romantic comedy "Singles," which he also scored.  . . .  Westerberg has also given Crowe several songs to use in the director's still-in-production film "Elizabethtown." Starring Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Sarandon and Alec Baldwin, the feature is due in theaters sometime next year.

Dairwendan

Guest AshleighRose

Hmm. interesting.

"Singles" was a sort of grungy film.

Could we be hearing some Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains in "Elizabethtown", perhaps?

.. I wish. :blush:

"Singles" was a sort of grungy film.

Could we be hearing some Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains in "Elizabethtown", perhaps?

.. I wish. :blush:

I wish too, but I doubt it. (for one thing, AIC are broken up and their lead singer, Layne Staley, died a few years ago. :( )

Paul Westerberg's songs (the music over the opening and closing credits) from Singles were probably the most non-grungy music in the film. It was more upbeat pop.

I still love him, though. "Dyslexic Heart" and "Waiting for Somebody" are great songs! I'm looking forward to hearing what he comes up with for this movie.

Thanks Dair. I had seen the report on Westerberg earlier today and it has put me in a Replacements mood.

Hmmmmmm,........

The Kentuckian band, My Morning Jacket, makes their motion picture debut in Elizabethown as Jessie's Band. Currently on tour before the release of their fourth album, this background article was found in Boston's Weekly Dig, listing their upcoming concert this Friday June 24th at Boston University.

My Morning Jacket

Guest earthcrosser

I've seen them live-they're very good.perfect fit for this film, I think.

Thanks for that info!

Guest earthcrosser

Being the nut that I am about movie scores, I'm wondering if anyone has any info yet.

I've looked at CC.com, and can't find anything. I believe I read that Nancy Wilson will do the music, as she does for most of CC's movies.

I'm really looking forward to it. B)

I've looked at CC.com, and can't find anything. I believe I read that Nancy Wilson will do the music, as she does for most of CC's movies.

What little we know so far about the soundtrack was in an existing thread...which I've merged yours with. :wink:

I'm going to combine all of the music/soundtrack info into one thread.

:)

The online version of MIX magazine (Professional Audio and Music Production) has a feature article about some aspects of the Elizabethtown score. Much of the info, while interesting, makes my head spin. I'll be paying more attention to the sound quality after the second or third viewing. :blush:

Nancy Wilson is being recorded in her home studio, solo, writing as it's being recorded. The interviewee mentions that it's "an all-wooden live recording - guitars, mandolins, autoharp, hand percusion." The house also enters into the equation. Since there is no soundproofing, they've been going for what they can get from the environment, "between the trash pickups and the kids running down the street!"

For more of the interesting feature on microphones, their placement, and harmonics, check out Score for Elizabethtown Captured

Using MIX's Search, I found an interview with the Production Sound Mixer, Jeff Wexler:

You just finished working on Elizabethtown, another Cameron Crowe picture. What was that like?

"It's a terrific movie and it's wonderful working with Cameron. He values the people working with him in such a way that you go out of your way to do things. He does, of course, have a unique way of working with music. Music is at the core of his existence — he plays it on the set all the time, even between sentences of dialog. Often, rather than giving the actor a direction, he'll play a piece of music to get the reaction he wants. He has his hands on the button, and he'll play a piece right in the middle of a scene, which can be disconcerting for actors who haven't worked with him before!

We've gotten very skillful at preserving the dialog. Previously, he brought in hundreds of CDs, but on Elizabethtown, we had the benefit of PowerBooks, iPods and instant access, which made him even more aggressive about finding the absolutely perfect piece of music for a scene!"

Jeff Wexler Talks About Sound for Movies

Guest earthcrosser

Thanks-sorry 'bout that. :blush:

Thanks, too, Dair, for the info. I adore Paul Westerber (the Replacements are still one of my favorite bands.). I know this will be a great soundtrack!

Stephen Fretwell has also written songs for E-Town. Contact Music article The bold face is mine.

Taking influence from people as diverse as Bob Dylan, The Beatles and Bruce Sprinsteen, Fretwell is poised to become a hugely important British artist. His debut album ‘Magpie’ was received to great critical acclaim, and he has spent 2005 touring with Keane and KT Tunstall to rapturous reception. This summer sees him play Glastonbury, T In The Park, Oxygen, V2005 and D-Percussion Festival in Manchester, as well as some soon to be announced headline shows. His last UK clubshows all sold out within days, and his adopted hometown of Manchester tickets were changing hands for over £100.

Stephen also spent some time in America earlier this year, where he met and wrote songs for a forthcoming Cameron Crowe movie. He also has two songs in a soon to be released movie ‘Love and Hate’ by acclaimed UK director Dominik Savage – the Northern guile that permeates his lyrics and mood the perfect reflection of the movies dark and heartbreaking subject.

For more about Stephen Fretwell, check out his website with the volume on. I especially enjoyed the ABOUT section. Stephen Fretwell . com

And people reacted almost immediately.  The simple beauty of his music, the northern clarity of his voice, and above all, his lyrics - cutting and poetic, squeezing every drop of emotion out of the songs without a second of melodrama - soon set the city's live scene buzzing.

Here was a 20 year old who sang from experience, songs like 'Emily' and 'Run' dripping an acidic world weariness that should have made him seem older, but somehow were fresh enough to retain the youthful spark that put many older artists to shame.

Too bad that they don't mention the actual songs to be used in Elizabethtown. I suspect that Kleenex will be needed for this film.

If you pre-order the soundtrack (now available at Amazon.com), please remember to use the Ka-Bloom Store Link. Thanks.

LINK

Guest earthcrosser

Will do!

I'm dying to see the song list and hear samples.

:yum:

For anyone around the Louisville area, the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack will go on sale August 16th at Ear-x-tacy to benefit the Center for Women and Families. We can get it early and do a good deed. I am not sure if it is for only one day or not, I heard this on the news this morning.

MB53 :wave:

Thanks for the info. MB53. That may be worth a trip to Louisville for me to get it early. I have no idea where Ear-x-tacy is though. Anyway, thanks again for the heads up. :hug:

~Ivy~

Thanks for the tip off, Sheri. I phoned them this morning to get the scoop and I was directed to their website. It's not actually THE soundtrack they are offering. I've posted a new thread about it here.

Billboard has posted an article about the Elizabethtown sountrack.

From Billboard.com

MMJ, Elton, Petty Head 'Elizabethtown' Soundtrack

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Although the full track list has not been finalized, My Morning Jacket, Elton John, Tom Petty and Ryan Adams are confirmed to appear on the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack. Due Sept. 13 via RCA, the album accompanies writer/director Cameron Crowe's latest film, which arrives Oct. 14 in U.S. theaters.

As previously reported, members of My Morning Jacket appear in the film as the band Ruckus, which also includes actor Paul Schneider and Crowe's cousin, Charlie Crowe. In one scene, Ruckus performs the Southern rock staple "Freebird" but inadvertently activates the sprinkler system when its stage prop catches on fire.

Months later, My Morning Jacket lead singer Jim James is still raving about the experience. "It was fantastic," he tells Billboard.com. "It's funny to go into that movie world and see all the ways it is similar and different than making music and touring. Those people work so hard and so late. It's just insane. It's nothing like anything I imagined it would be."

MMJ will have at least one song on the soundtrack, "Where To Begin," which was recorded during sessions for its upcoming ATO/RCA album, "Z." The group has also donated a live recording of "I Will Be There When You Die" to the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack companion "Songs From the Brown Hotel," which will be available beginning Aug. 16 via the Coalition of Independent Music Stores' Junket Boy imprint.

"Elizabethtown" stars Orlando Bloom as a down-on-his-luck industrial designer who turns over a new page when he returns to his Kentucky hometown for his father's funeral. An extended trailer for the film, set to Elton John's "My Father's Gun," can be viewed at Elizabethtown.com.

Crowe says the movie is "probably even more of a musical than [his 2000 semi-autobiographical film] 'Almost Famous.' The music is as important as any of the characters -- it's the movie's inner voice, a friendly guide and a secret muse."

Guest earthcrosser

That's a great article-thanks! I'll be buying both, no doubt.

:)

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet. I was just browsing over at Amazon and found the cover to the Elizabethtown soundtrack.

Here it is:

e-townsoundtrackcover.jpg

It doesn't have any new photos I don't think but I was excited nonetheless. I just thought I'd share. If this has already been posted, PEFIC, feel free to remove.

~Ivy~

PS: I resized it just a smidge.

Cool soundtrack cover. Thanks for bringing it over, Ivy.

And from Billboard:

Crowe Finalizes 'Elizabethtown' Soundtrack

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The full track list has been confirmed for the soundtrack to "Elizabethtown," Cameron Crowe's highly anticipated new film. Due Sept. 13 via RCA, the project features exclusive tracks from Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, and, as previously reported, My Morning Jacket.

Previously released cuts are turned in by Wheat, Ryan Adams, Elton John ("My Father's Gun," which is also used in an extended trailer on the Elizabethtown Web site) and the Hollies, among others.

Another track, "Same in Any Language," was written for the film by Crowe and his wife, Nancy Wilson, who also supplied original music. It is performed here by Atlanta band I-9, which recently signed to J Records.

Members of My Morning Jacket also appear in "Elizabethtown" as the band Ruckus, which performs the Lynyrd Syknyrd favorite "Freebird" with disastrous results during one scene.

"Elizabethtown" stars Orlando Bloom as a down-on-his-luck industrial designer who turns over a new page when he returns to his Kentucky hometown for his father's funeral. It will open Oct. 14 in U.S. theaters.

Here is the "Elizabethtown" track list:

"60B (Elizabethtown Theme)," Nancy Wilson

"It'll All Work Out," Tom Petty

"My Father's Gun," Elton John

"i.o.," Helen Stellar

"Come Pick Me Up," Ryan Adams

"Where To Begin," My Morning Jacket

"Long Ride Home," Patti Griffin

"Sugar Blue," Jeff Finlin

"Don't I Hold You," Wheat

"Shut Us Down," Lindsey Buckingham

"Let It All Hang Out," Hombres

"Hard Times," eastmountainsouth

"Jesus Was a Crossmaker," the Hollies

"Square One," Tom Petty

"Same in Any Language," I-9

I was just wondering when they were going to release the track list and here it is. Freaky. :lol: Thanks for bringing that over rebecca. I can't wait to get my hands on it. However, I don't see that great song Summer Long I've been enjoying here on the board. :( Ah well, we can't have it all, can we.

~Ivy~

Thanks for bringing that article to us, rebecca! :hug: I too have been wondering when we would see the final track list, and although I hadn't thought it possible, I am even more excited about it now. From what I can tell, the music itself promises one fine movie experience! (And we all know there is so much more to look forward to than just the music, even though it naturally is such a great part of a Cameron Crowe movie. :wub: )

Wow!!! Thanks for bringing that cover over Ivy. I can't wait to have it in hand! :yahoo:

And thank you for the track list and article rebecca! I do wish that they had the rest of the songs Nancy Wilson composed for the film on the CD. Is there any way for us to download them if we want them?

Thanks everyone! :hug:

I have a question. According to this list of tracks, it isn't the music we are hearing on the ETown website. WHere's that music?

I have a question. According to this list of tracks, it isn't the music we are hearing on the ETown website. WHere's that music?

Yeah, I want the gorgeous instrumentals that are playing on the Elizabethtown website. Only one of those tracks (60B) is on the soundtrack. :(