Sign in to follow this  
Guest yoffy

Ridley Scott says...

Guest Marilyn
Marilyn. I hate to correct you but. Ridley Scott has never won a best director Oscar, for which the Acadamy should hang its head in shame. Gladiator won Best Film, the director Oscar went to Stephen Soderburgh for Traffic, the year Gladiator won best Film so.

The reason why KOH is so important to him is that it is his chance for that elusive Directors Oscar, which is why he would have made sure the casting was right :shiny:

Diane

:oops: My bad! I'm usually good with these movie/Oscar trivia too. :bash: Thanks for correcting me Diane.

Best movie Mr. Scott has ever done?! :pupeyes: The fact alone that he did it makes it better than like 90% of the movies out there so this one must be a Lord of the Rings eleven Oscar winner movie.

Guest waitingforwake

KOH will be "the" blockbuster of 2005, Ridley will win Best Director, and Orlando will be renowned across the globe for his amazing acting performance.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? In my world, KoH will be bigger than Titanic! (Well, the lead is much cuter.we can all agree on that at least) :whistle:

In my world, KoH will be bigger than Titanic!  (Well, the lead is much cuter.we can all agree on that at least)   :whistle:

:lol:

In my world too!

And, wow, Ridley thinks KoH is the best film he's ever done. And he's one of the directors who's made the best films ever! And the fact that Orlando is involved makes me more nervous. (Maybe that is the only reason :lol:)

Is it May yet?

Laia

ETA: Today I'm going to the town next to Ayerbe. Pity that I don't go to Loarre castle since I've been there many times. Anyways, see this mountains? I'll make lots of photos!! :lmao:

KOH will be "the" blockbuster of 2005, Ridley will win Best Director, and Orlando will be renowned across the globe for his amazing acting performance.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?  In my world, KoH will be bigger than Titanic!  (Well, the lead is much cuter.we can all agree on that at least)  :whistle:

This isn't a dream, this is the future!

Hey, I can dream, can't I?  In my world, KoH will be bigger than Titanic!  (Well, the lead is much cuter.we can all agree on that at least)  :whistle:

Nah, it ain't a dream, WaitingforWake! It will become a reality come next May. I still remember the look on Ridley Scott's face when Stephen Soderburgh won the Best Director for Traffic. If looks could kill! I think Ridley is pouring EVERYTHING he has into directing KOH, thinking, " it's now or never!"

Hey, I can dream, can't I?  In my world, KoH will be bigger than Titanic!  (Well, the lead is much cuter.we can all agree on that at least)   :whistle:

I really hope it will be!

And if Ridley Scott say it, I trust him. Besides, this movie have a great casting suportting to Orlando (Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons, Edward Norton, David Thewlis, among others), and that is a vote in favour.

Anyway, for me Orlando is already a great actor. The Orlando´s world is my world, too. :wub:

Hey, I can dream, can't I?  In my world, KoH will be bigger than Titanic!  (Well, the lead is much cuter.we can all agree on that at least)   :whistle:

I really hope it will be!

Let's not get too carried away here, or we risk being disappointed if KoH doesn't live up to impossibly high standards.

I, for one, do not think that KoH will be a blockbuster along the lines of Titanic or even Pirates of the Caribbean. It doesn't have the automatic appeal of a movie on an ever-fascinating subject such as the sinking of the Titanic, and it isn't a lighthearted Disney frolic that will appeal to both kids and adults.

KoH is a serious movie set in a rather unfamiliar historic period. This doesn't mean that it won't make money. Good epics can make plenty of money at the worldwide box office (though not necessarily in the U.S.). Troy did. The Last Samurai did. KoH almost certainly will do the same. And if it's as good as Ridley Scott thinks, it may even win some critical acclaim and some awards -- probably for Sir Ridley, though, rather than for any of the actors. And that should be plenty good enough -- both for us and for Orlando's career.

If we expect too much from KoH, we're going to feel terrible if it doesn't live up to our expectations -- much as many people here felt about Troy.

Guest scotsirishgirl

Thank you Liana! I'm purposefully maintaining NO expectations about KOH. I'll wait to see it before I say anything.

Namaste,

Cassandra

I am anxious about this movie. It will be a big event for Orlando, regardless of critics' opinions. But I'm anxious in a good way too. I am really looking forward to seeing Orlando in his first leading role. And I have great respect for Ridley Scott's talent. If he's confident about this movie.that's a strong sign.

hasta,

Lisa Q

Guest waitingforwake

I didn't mean to post any "unrealistic expectations". My bad! :unsure: I'm also excited to see him in his first leading role, and any added romance or peekage is an added bonus!

Nothing could possibly stop me from being completely overjoyed for this movie, no critic, no review, no nothing. It's not that I have high expectations, I don't really know how to explain it. It's probably the fact that I see movies for more entertaining reasons than picking out oscar contenders. But, hey, wouldn't that be a bonus on top of Balian? :naughty:

Although, it definitely helps the usual bystander to hear those brilliant and captivating words - best movie Ridley Scott has ever done.

Daaaaaaayum...that's a bit of a compliment. Woooo! Makes me all friggin' fired up! :w00t:

Thanks for sharing, aliza! :hug:

I've been anxious too - especially after reading various things that already criticize the film, like some people saying it is historically inaccurate. And it's true, it may not do spectacularly at the box office in the U.S. but like Troy, it may do fantastic internationally. I think the American media makes too big a deal out of the U.S. box office anyway.

But that is encouraging that Mr. Scott believes it to be his best film - although overconfidence isn't necessarily a good thing. But while it makes me nervous to think about how much rides on this movie for Orlando, I'm still impatient to see it. And maybe Elizabethtown will be even better and it'll be interesting to see him in two such totally different films next year.

We all have such high hopes for all of Orlando's up-coming movies. Maybe more so for KOH, since it is a Ridley Scott movie, and we know what he was able to bring out in Russell Crowe. If he can mold Orlando and draw from him the best that Orlando has within him, then we can all be delightfully pleased with Orlando's first major starring role.

Orlando's youth and inexperience showed in his performance in Troy. But a good director could have brought out a better response. Orlando had to work with some really corny lines (as did other cast members). A good director would have paid more attention to the script and how it would play in theaters. I think Wolfgang Petersen was more interested in the epic and battle scenes, and didn't reallly grasp the fact that the script did not do the story justice.

I don't think that Ridley Scott will make the same mistake. If the Balian role is well written, Orlando will be fine. And if the movie is as good as Ridley Scott claims, then it too should have great success. Whether any of this is Oscar material.we will just have to wait and see.

While Sir Ridley Scott is a well-respected director, he's made his mistakes. Years ago, he had a disaster with the movie he did about Columbus. I think that was his film anyway. I can't think of the name of it exactly, but it was a big budget film that was a flop and critics pretty much hated it. I don't remember when that was, but it goes to show even the best directors make mistakes. And I heard that his movie Hannibal was pretty awful - as in over-the-top gore. So I suppose KoH could go either way, except I'll undoubtedly be partial to it since Orlando is in it.

Donna - the movie you're thinking of was '1492: The Conquest of Paradise' with Gerard Depardieu. Of the two Columbus movies that were made to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Columbus's landing in America, Scott's was definitely the superior one. The reviews were not at all bad, I think it just didn't catch the audience's imagination for some reason. On the other hand, a lot of 'serious' reviewers spoke very highly of 'Hannibal' although I never saw it; far too gory as you say.Personally, I'd say 'G.I.Jane' was a case of a genuine auteur selling out big time.

Ridley Scott's problem is that his artistry takes the form of a real passion for the purely visual. I once saw a demo reel of all the ads he's ever directed (he still goes back to that first job of his on a regular basis, you know) and his talent in that area is truly breathtaking. But he's not so great when it comes to the story nor when it concerns the actors; the thespian craft is not one he's ever had any real history with, unlike all those other English directors who've also directed theatre. So the actors are fairly left to sink or swim; Russell Crowe was brilliant in 'Gladiator' not because of Ridley Scott, frankly, but because the character so totally suited Crowe's own personal genius. My feel is that the subject of the crusades has long fascinated Scott precisely because it so wonderfully lends itself to a marvellous visual re-creation; I think his re-building of mediaeval Jerusalem will be the real 'star' of the film and quite possibly what he's referring to when being so enthusiastic of this work. How Orlando will pull it all off is anybody's guess - but at the very least, he has some amazing actors around him in Irons, Neeson etc.

Interesting it will definitely be!

Nefret, I agree with your assessment of Scott's strengths. But my personal favorite of all his films is still Alien, and I think he did an excellent job with the characters in that film. Everything came together perfectly, the visuals, the characters, the F/X. If KoH gets close to that level, he'll have another hit on his hands.

While Sir Ridley Scott is a well-respected director, he's made his mistakes.  Years ago, he had a disaster with the movie he did about Columbus.  I think that was his film anyway.  I can't think of the name of it exactly, but it was a big budget film that was a flop and critics pretty much hated it.  I don't remember when that was, but it goes to show even the best directors make mistakes.  And I heard that his movie Hannibal was pretty awful - as in over-the-top gore.  

I think you mean 1492 : The Conquest of Paradise? And Hannibal was notorious for that "dinner scene." Those who have seen it will know what I am talking about. :sick: Gave a whole new meaning to the word "dinner."

ETA: Oops, Nefret and I must have been posting at the same time.. Sorry about that, Donna and others.

Edited by Suzie

Donna - the movie you're thinking of was '1492: The Conquest of Paradise' with Gerard Depardieu. Of the two Columbus movies that were made to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Columbus's landing in America, Scott's was definitely the superior one. The reviews were not at all bad, I think it just didn't catch the audience's imagination for some reason.

Yeah, that's the one. I'm very glad to hear that the reviews of it weren't bad as I thought. Don't know why I had the idea they were.

I realized I've never actually seen a Ridley Scott movie! 'Gladiator' didn't interest me for some reason. Nor did 'Alien', even though I like sci-fi, because it just looked yucky to me in the trailers. So I've probably missed some good film-making. That was a very informative description you gave of Ridley Scott, so that helps me get some feel for his work, both the positive and not-so-positive aspects.

[soapbox]

I am firmly of the opinion that "Bladerunner" is the greatest science fiction film of all time. [/soapbox]

Guest Galadriel
[soapbox]

I am firmly of the opinion that "Bladerunner" is the greatest science fiction film of all time. [/soapbox]

I'm with you on that! And I think there was some survey recently where a bunch of scientists voted exactly that. I can't remember the details.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

[soapbox]

[ Also in the soapbox mode. ] Couldn't agree more, BigBird! :)

I love what Ridley Scott said.but I am taking it with a grain of salt, cause every director brags that "this is my best picture ever". We'll see.

I have high expectations for Orlando's Balian role, but I am realistic. I will be very happy if he just improves upon his role of Paris in Troy. As long as he keeps improving with each role, acclaim will come to him eventually. He is only 27, afterall, and hopefully has many more years of movies ahead of him. Success at too young an age can be very hard on a person.

Remember, an actor's role is only as good as the lines that are written for him and the story that surrounds him. If the movie audience laughs at his lines, then not even the best delivery is going to save them. Troy is the perfect example of that.

Maybe KOH will be Ridley Scott's best movie.we can all hope so.

It is slightly surreal to be reading this thread back. When i was seated in the premiere and Ridley was doing his little speeches, just before he called up the cast to the front, he said, " This- out of all my films- is the one I am most proud of."

That's it straight from the directors mouth. Give or take a few words, I've not got that gooder memory. :lol:

xClaire