Sign in to follow this  
LadyNin

Another country heard from ...

[some SPOILERS here, if you're still waiting and unspoiled]

My copy of the Ned Kelly DVD has been shipped but hasn't arrived yet. But I know how wonderful he was in that part . I've seen both the theatrical and the DVD versions of this film (they did differ a bit). There have been a few scornful and disparaging comments about Orlando of late - granted, from silly fools on unremarkable websites - but they've raised my ire. May we open a new topic here to discuss Orlando's Ned Kelly performance . now that the film is available in the US and we Yanks can join in the discussion with some veracity?

The point I'd like to make is that there are "media journalists" who sling slurs (they think they are soooo clever and witty) about our guy without having seen him in anything beyond LOTR and POTC. Let's face it, those are the only films of his most people have noticed thus far because no one seems to realize he was also in BHD. Only the dedicated have searched out anything further. Now Ned Kelly is for rent and purchase, and fans in the States can see this film where his role was very different from Legolas or Will Turner (and sweet Jimmy, from what I've heard . since this one's still unreachable here in the US).

So we get to see what "teeny squeal fodder Orlando Bloom" can do with another sort of role. Was it "wafer-thin hammy acting" from a "distinctly-average acting talent" who was "stretched to [his] absolute limits"? You can decide for yourself. I think not.

I've seen a few scattered comments from those who've seen it now . and people are already talking about his scenes at the Glenrowan Inn. I think next to the death scene (where he spoke volumes with his expression and the tenor of his voice offering his admittedly few words of dialog) my favorite was the testing and murder of Aaron Sherritt and Joe's scenes immediately afterward.

Of course, Heath Ledger was the big name star . and so he should have been for this tale of the classic Aussie hero. And maybe Ned really was as stiff and gruff as Heath portrayed him. But Joe Byrne had the reputation of a quiet thinker and a smooth ladies' man . and historically actually did murder his childhood friend, perhaps under the confused circumstances that were portrayed in the film. It was a role that needed depth and range and Orlando did a masterful job, in my opinion.

Understated performance . but chilling and moving. And suave. :naughty:

So phphfffphtt! to those who think he acts only with exaggerated facial expression and over-done emoting. (He DOES NOT! So There! . oh . excuse me . ahem .) Only when it fits the role . eg. Will Turner, who was, after all, a character in a very camp movie.

When people get to see Ned Kelly, they will see another facet to our little jewel, if they take the time to look.

Any other completely unbiased opinions? :wink:

This is my first post ever, so not sure if I'm doing this right! I didn't have the chance to see Ned Kelly in the theaters as it never played here so I was quite excited to get it on DVD yesterday. I really enjoyed Orlando's parts - I think he was perfect for the role of "lady's man" and I totally agree with the review from Entertainment Weekly that said Orlando outshone Heath Ledger in every scene (of course I'm a bit biased). I especially liked the scene where he picks up the skull and says "Hello"! He did a great job with the Irish accent too, as far as I can tell. I didn't really like the dark brooding character that Heath Ledger played, too boring and depressing. All in all, nice to see him playing a different kind of character. I'm looking forward to seeing his more contemporary roles in Haven and Elizabethtown too.

I think next to the death scene (where he spoke volumes with his expression and the tenor of his voice offering his admittedly few words of dialog) my favorite was the testing and murder of Aaron Sherritt and Joe's scenes immediately afterward.
I have to totally agree with you, Nin. These scenes you mentioned were so amazing. I think they speak volumes for Orlando's abilities. I can't understand why he's getting so much criticism. I adore this movie and think it's really one of his best performances so far.

Another warning - SPOILERS!

When Ned Kelly first came out, I was reading all of the reviews I could get my hands on, because I knew it would be a long time, if I ever got a cahance to see it. On thing I noticed was that many many professional reviewers took notice of Orlando's excellent performance, even if they didn't like the film itself. I posted them HERE and HERE.

Now that the DVD has come out, there is one more.

The New Your Times

The picture's rhythms are too choppy to achieve the grandeur of epic, and the performances (with the exception of Orlando Bloom as Kelly's sidekick) are lifeless and unmemorable.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie as a whole, but I definitely found Orlando's Joe Byrne to be the highlight! And I guarantee that is a completely unbiased opinion! :shiny:

But honestly, anyone who can see ANY "wafer-thin hammy acting" in Joe Byrne's death scene needs serious therapy. It was the epitome of subtle!

Any so-called reviewer who can watch the scene following the shooting of Aaron Sherrit, when Joe asks Ned "Why do you think he did it? Just for the money?" Then afterwords, looks back and confusion, anger, regret and grief all show on his face, and then say that Orlando is "distinctly-average acting talent", is seriously underskilled for his/her profession and needs to find and application for McDonald's right away!

Now, I do have one question that I hope someone can answer forme. Why did they join the circus? I've watched it 3 times and I'm still not seeing the reason for that. Anybody?

Thanks,

Dairwendan

More SPOILERS here.

But honestly, anyone who can see ANY "wafer-thin hammy acting" in Joe Byrne's death scene needs serious therapy. It was the epitome of subtle!

Any so-called reviewer who can watch the scene following the shooting of Aaron Sherrit, when Joe asks Ned "Why do you think he did it? Just for the money?" Then afterwords, looks back and confusion, anger, regret and grief all show on his face, and then say that Orlando is "distinctly-average acting talent", is seriously underskilled for his/her profession and needs to find and application for McDonald's right away!

Y'think? :lol: IMNSHO, this one proved the kid's talent. This was no Legolas and no Will.

Now, I do have one question that I hope someone can answer for me.  Why did they join the circus?  I've watched it 3 times and I'm still not seeing the reason for that.  Anybody?

Oooh, oooh! .. Me, me! :wink:

The Ned Kelly movie was based on Robert Drewe's book Our Sunshine. (I think we discussed this at length in the lost Ned Kelly thread we had going before the Big Crash.) It's available now in paperback at your friendly bookseller and a friend sent me a copy . with Joe and Ned glaring out in serious handsomeness from the cover. When I read it, I was amazed at how closely the movie was based on this particular book, rather than all the historical legend. The circus - including Joe's commenting on the death of the monkey and the "great Orlando" character - featured in the book as a part of the Glenrowan standoff, although it apparently was some of the "fiction" part of the fictionalized history.

I enjoyed the book . which is written in the same kind of stream-of-consciousness memory from Ned's POV that the movie script is done in. A lot of the dialog was lifted right from the text. The book seems to be the reason for the sometimes-spacey and disconnected feel to the film. It's all Ned's head-talk, remembering all the events in rambling, roundabout order. Joe really isn't in it much, other than a few references. So most of his action and dialog must have been created for the script and out of historical background. There are some good websites with the Kelly Gang story . and some good specifics on Joe Byrne. Google Ned Kelly and you should be able to find it all.

I did a lot of curiosity research myself before the film was first released . being American and not familiar with the Kelly Gang, I wanted to have some idea of the history. If you go to the O.B. fandom websites that file magazine articles, there were several very in-depth interviews done by Aussie mags back then (Jan-Feb 2003-ish) in which Orlando talked about how he prepared for the part. He apparently did a lot of reading about the real history as well as fictionalized accounts of the gang. Interestingly, he said they all felt almost haunted by the spirits of those boys as they filmed in the same places where they lived . and died . to the extent that it troubled his own dreams. He was going to buy at auction an actual photograph of Joe Byrne, but it was a picture of Joe strung up and hanging on a door, dead, after the gang's demise and Ned's capture. He decided, after the nightmares, that although he was trying to get inside Joe for the role, he didn't need that kind of energy around him nor that photo in his own life, so he didn't buy it.

I did a set of "From the Inside Out" pages for the Joe Byrne role and I found Orlando's own impressions and reasons for chosing the part were as interesting as the actual history. If you haven't seen this, it's here at the O.B.Scrapbook at OBF

Now, I do have one question that I hope someone can answer forme. Why did they join the circus? I've watched it 3 times and I'm still not seeing the reason for that. Anybody?

Thanks,

Dairwendan

They didn't join the circus. The circus just happened to be there.

I bought the DVD on Tuesday having never seen the movie. I didn't much care for the movie (not a fan of sad stories), but I thought Orlando was great in it and I will watch it again for him.

I agree that Orlando "stole" the movie. Such presence.

:huh: Forgive me if I ramble… Some Spoilers Ahead…

I was lucky enough to catch this movie when it played one tiny little theater here in Wisconsin in June. I had to drive an hour and a half to get there to see it but after sitting through it I have to say that it was well worth the time and money for the tank of gas. I absolutely fell in love with the movie so much that after one showing I did the drive the following weekend as well so I could see it again. The DVD couldn’t come out soon enough.

This movie is haunting – there’s no other way for me to describe what I feel when I watch it. It has stayed with me since the first time I saw it and now with the DVD I can explore it even more. I definitely wanted to know more about the Kelly Gang after seeing it the first time and followed links from this forum and Google to do just that. Thank you LadyNin for the link to the scrapbooks, I hadn’t seen some of the Orlando information on his dreams and such.

I know that this movie has been criticized for being more fantasy than fact, and that may be the case, but from what I’ve read from Gregor Jordan (director) and from Mr. Drews whose book it is based on, the heart of it is real. It is the heart of the film that pulls at me. I know that the acting has been criticized as well. Personally I think the people who should be criticized are the distributors for not getting this film out there into theaters because it is a great film.

IMHO I think it is very well acted. One thing I look for when watching a film is that I am completely absorbed in the story. The actor’s ability to make me forget they are “Orlando” or “Heath” is part of what makes me like a movie. If I sit there thinking, ‘oh its Orlando’ or ‘look what Orlando is doing now’ during the whole film then I don’t see the story and can easily become bored. But with this movie I didn’t have that because his acting was that good.

After that first initial “Squeee” at seeing him lying on the ground asleep I got into what was happening thanks to Heath that Orlando was now “Joe” the next time I saw him, looking worried, almost ‘pained’ at seeing his friend who spent 3years in prison for something he didn’t do, I was lost in the story and the characters. Orlando’s acting is effortless. You see the struggle of the character, the concern for a friend and his family, the troubled loss of another friend through betrayal. He nailed it in my opinion, especially the devilish side of Joe who could seduce a woman with a look and smile. The torment in his eyes after he shoots Aaron, “Why do you think he did it?” Seeing that I felt my heart drop. I really got the impression from that bit and from Orlando’s acting that Joe felt that at that moment his whole life crumbled out from beneath him.

As far as Heath goes, I thought he was very good too. How does one act like they are being tortured at the thought that their mother is rotting away in prison because of a lie and you’re basically helpless to do anything to get her out? If it was me, I would be rigid, angry, my mind going a mile a minute trying to figure out what to do next. I saw that in his performance.

Its in the eyes. I have to see it in the actor’s eyes to believe it.

Bad acting doesn’t make me think about a movie so much that I keep going back over it in my head again and again. This was all good for me at least. In all honesty I think this is my favorite Orlando movie to this point. I’m really looking forward to Haven, Kingdom of Heaven and Elizabethtown to see him in meatier, lead roles where he can really stretch those acting muscles.

Such lovely muscles they are too. :blush::throb:

Some Spoilers Ahead…

It is the heart of the film that pulls at me. I know that the acting has been criticized as well. Personally I think the people who should be criticized are the distributors for not getting this film out there into theaters because it is a great film.

I agree. Unfortunately, you and I are not the target audience for what the industry considers a "successful" film. And I suspect that in the US, the PTB figured since nobody'd ever heard of these guys, the film would tank, so why bother. I still marvel at the comment from the distributor (reported by a fan who asked) that releasing the film to a dozen theaters in Texas was an accurate sampling of the market.

Orlando’s acting is effortless.  .. The torment in his eyes after he shoots Aaron, “Why do you think he did it?” Seeing that I felt my heart drop. I really got the impression from that bit and from Orlando’s acting that Joe felt that at that moment his whole life crumbled out from beneath him.

Yes. Oh yes. While I'm certain his acting isn't really effortless, he makes it look that way so that he's completely convincing and it's a simple matter to get lost in the character's struggles and forget about Orlando the heart-throb Bloom. I thought he pretty well inhabited a very credible Joe Byrne.

As far as Heath goes, I thought he was very good too. How does one act like they are being tortured at the thought that their mother is rotting away in prison because of a lie and you’re basically helpless to do anything to get her out? If it was me, I would be rigid, angry, my mind going a mile a minute trying to figure out what to do next. I saw that in his performance.

Its in the eyes. I have to see it in the actor’s eyes to believe it.

I've thought about that too . and I agree with you. I think my disappointment probably came from my own blending of the other stuff I'd read about Ned. He was also considered a charismatic individual . at the time, the people loved him and he apparently was almost as much of a charmer as Joe. But this was seldom demonstrated in the film (although I think I recall getting that notion from the book as well . I need to read it over again). In the movie, Ned was all stress and I agree that's a difficult thing to portray, because he was also very controlled and determined. What Heath did do very well was to take Ned's essence from the familiar photograph . he definitely looked just like him. In the eyes . his defiance and pride were there, even at the end. Perhaps it was the somewhat forced "romance" with Naomi Watts' character (whose name escapes me at the moment) that I found to be bland (although a useful plot device). In spite of the fact of the two actors' real life romance, I thought they had little chemistry in the movie . I blamed it on the directing - or editing . something was just missing there.

I wish they had given the film wider exposure, but perhaps it will do well in video release. Lots of movie do, and redeem their reputations that way. For those who judge Orlando to be a one-act pony, Joe Byrne is a wholly different character to add to his CV . and I think the part just further demonstrates Orlando's gift.

Ok so it's it available in the US on DVD or not. I so SO confussed. :lmao:

Allie :shiny:

Some Spoilers Ahead…

Yes.  Oh yes. While I'm certain his acting isn't really effortless, he makes it look that way so that he's completely convincing and it's a simple matter to get lost in the character's struggles and forget about Orlando the heart-throb Bloom.  I thought he pretty well inhabited a very credible Joe Byrne.

That's what I meant. He does make it look effortless. Having read the information from the link you provided it sounds like he really poured his heart and soul into the role and it shows.

I've thought about that too . and I agree with you.  I think my disappointment probably came from my own blending of the other stuff I'd read about Ned.  He was also considered a charismatic individual . at the time, the people loved him and he apparently was almost as much of a charmer as Joe.  But this was seldom demonstrated in the film (although I think I recall getting that notion from the book as well . I need to read it over again).

I had wondered about that. They had some bits and pieces of portraying him as being well loved though I think they could have portrayed that even more. I'm going to have to check out the book.

What Heath did do very well was to take Ned's essence from the familiar photograph . he definitely looked just like him.  In the eyes . his defiance and pride were there, even at the end. 

Last night when I watched it for a second time, it was the first time I saw the curling swirl of hair on his forehead from that picture while he was in the bank writing the letter. I hadn't noticed it before and it really struck me like. Wow! Look at that!

Perhaps it was the somewhat forced "romance" with Naomi Watts' character (whose name escapes me at the moment) that I found to be bland (although a useful plot device).  In spite of the fact of the two actors' real life romance, I thought they had little chemistry in the movie . I blamed it on the directing - or editing . something was just missing there.

I want to say the character's name was Jane (could be wrong). I agree, it felt forced almost. For what was basically a one night stand in the stables and a few stilted conversations prior to that her pleas for him to save himself because she 'loved' him seemed off. I could buy it to a point but the brain had to put something in there. definitely feels like something ended up on the cutting room floor.

I want to say the character's name was Jane (could be wrong). I agree, it felt forced almost. For what was basically a one night stand in the stables and a few stilted conversations prior to that her pleas for him to save himself because she 'loved' him seemed off. I could buy it to a point but the brain had to put something in there. definitely feels like something ended up on the cutting room floor.

I thought so too . but since Jordan doesn't like director commentaries, we'll never know, and we didn't get any nice deleted scenes or "making of" bits on the DVD. That was disappointing. I think they just figured this one for a provincial little Aussie flick and didn't bother much with it once it was released theatrically. Too bad. But We Who Love Orlando will have it now to enjoy repeatedly.

"Jane" was the girl who rode the stolen horse with him in the early scenes and then re-appeared at the Glenrowan Inn for that sweet scene in the bedroom where she played with the pistol and they both marvelled at how much had changed in such a short time . their memories were from "a lifetime" ago.

I had to go and look up the Naomi Watts character . she was "Julia Cook". Totally forgettable role - no wonder people can't recall her name. Jane and Joe's sweet Maggie made a much more memorable impression. :wink:

Lady Nin said -

The circus - including Joe's commenting on the death of the monkey and the "great Orlando" character - featured in the book as a part of the Glenrowan standoff, although it apparently was some of the "fiction" part of the fictionalized history.

BigBird said -

First let me put the part of the movie from the Ned Kelly Transcript

that concerns the circus here.

Ned (voiceover): They say the trouble with the Irish is that they rely too much on dreams and not enough on gunpowder, whereas the English were shy on dreams as usual, but had plenty of the other. Now, we had both.

Ned and the gang meet The Great Orlando and his travelling circus along a narrow road.

Ned: I suppose you're The Great Orlando.

The Great Orlando: That I am.

Ned: Well, I'm the great Ned Kelly and this here, is the fabulous Joe Byrne. We'd like to join your circus.

Ned and Joe take aim.

The Great Orlando: Oh, er. (Chuckles).

Glenrowan Railway Station.

Stationmaster Stanistreet is reading his newspaper, when a camel walks by outside his office. He gets up and goes outside to investigate, and sees Ned waiting there with Joe, who has a pistol trained on him.

Ned: That's right. You're not seeing things, its a camel. We've got a lion and some ponies back down the road. And the Great Orlando, of course.

Stanistreet: If you are here to rob the train, you're too late.

Ned: We're not here to rob the train.

Ned and Joe are then seen with Stanistreet, watching two men tear up the railway line as part of the plan of the gang.

Glenrowan Inn.

The Joneses come outside to see Ned and Joe leading The Great Orlando and his circus into the town. They stop in front of the inn, and Ned gets off his horse.

Ned: Joe, get this lot inside.

Now, and of course I may very well be thick but I still wanna know, fictional or not, I don't understand, plotwise, why they do this?

I haven't read Robert Drewe's book, basically because I knew there wasn't much Joe in it. I'm not surprised though thet the movie follows the book so well, because not only was the script based on it, but Robert Drewe is also an Associate Producer.

Thanks,

Dairwendan

I've seen most of the movie now, though I'd like to do some repeat viewings to really see it well. I agree with those who called it 'haunting'. There is such a feel to it that those boys were doomed from the start. Personally, I didn't see any really bad acting in it. I think Orlando's performance was quite understated and natural. I don't know enough about what makes an 'authentic' Irish accent to have an authoritative opinion, but his accent sounded pretty good to me. It seems that a lot if it is in the voice inflection. I was struck by how musical the Irish accents sounded. What we get that passes for an Irish accent in the media here in the US is obviously a stylized version intended to be easy for us to understand, and it's not the same. Orlando's Chinese (or Mandarin, whatever), sounded a little forced in the scene with his girlfriend, but in the bathtub scene I thought it flowed rather well.

My favorite Orlando moments so far are.phooey--all of them. But, I agree that the scene after he killed the traitor was a high point, as was the one just before, when the traitor came to visit the gang. That teary-eyed look he had as the guy left seemed to imply that Joe almost longed for a wife to go home to and a normal life.

One little observation: having listened to him do the Irish accent, I think he'll nail the American accent. There were moments.just syllables, really, where he sounded very American.

I liked the movie. What I really want to do is get all of Orlando's performances in one place to compare them. I think he's really creating a good body of work.

You can all wake up now, and scrrroollll down. :wave:

TF

:paperbag:

BigBird said -

Sorry - I'd forgotten that bit. It's over 15 months since I saw the movie. I think the idea was that they were using the circus as a cover. People would be on the look out for the Kelly Gang, but they could enter Glenrowan as part of the circus troupe without being noticed.

"....  We'd like to join your circus.

Ned and Joe take aim."

Sorry . I didn't directly answer your question because I don't really know why Drewe wrote in the circus. As I watched the story unfold, I just surmised that they ran into this crowd of circus performers who were on their way to Glenrowan and since the gang were headed there as well to do their deed with the train and go after the coppers . they were rather forced to take the whole circus hostage along with the entire town. If anyone had been allowed to leave, the plan would have failed. (As it ultimately did when the teacher snuck away and reported the gang's presence to the coppers.) They didn't really "join" the circus . that was just Ned being a smartass. They captured them, but didn't ever intend to harm them . as was their continuing M.O.

Perhaps it was to make the tale more unique? It made for a colorful and quirky scene to have camels and monkeys wandering around . and to have the animals killed by the rain of bullets as well as the people who died incurs the wrath and sympathy of readers/viewers. IOW - it does get a reaction. Adds to the surreal quality of the entire scenario, what with the armored gang facing off with the crazed coppers - which was bizarre enough without the monkey and odd-looking collection of circus performers. But I guess we'd have to ask Mr. Drewe exactly why the circus crowd was created. :blush:

Guest Badger

Finally I have seen the movie!! About :censor: time!! :shiny:

It was alright. I was not impressed with Heath's portrayal of Ned. There was no charisma. I don't think it ever answered why people root him on. I guess to me folk heros are larger than life figures even if they were ordinary people, there was something about them that made people follow them. I never got that sense from Ned. Also, it seemed like everytime they had Ned talking he was giving a speech. It just seemed off to me.

I was impressed with Orlando. I have never thought he was that great of an actor as he seems to use the same facial expressions a lot. However in this film he seemed to embody the character. He really did make it seem effortless. He was definitely the highpoint in this film. I hope this is the actor we see in the future!!

I will have to watch certain senses over again :naughty: to make sure I get every detail. God I am so pathetic.

I have never thought he was that great of an actor as he seems to use the same facial expressions a lot.

Hi Badger.

I'm happy that you enjoyed Orlando's acting in Ned Kelly. But your comment made me curious. I hope you don't mind answering a question for me.

With all due respect, why would a person frequent an Orlando site like ka-Bloom if he/she doesn't think he's a good actor? Just for the eye candy? Couldn't you get much more of that on a site like OBF or OBM than on a discussion board?

I hope you don't take offense, but I'd just really like to know.

Thanks,

Dairwendan

Guest Martha_n

Finally :) I watched "Ned Kelly" today, yuppie!!!!! Orlando waz amazing in it . I totally agree with all the extremely positive reviews he got. O.K. I'm at a loss for words, so I 'll finish here and go to watch it again.

Guest Badger
I have never thought he was that great of an actor as he seems to use the same facial expressions a lot.

Hi Badger.

I'm happy that you enjoyed Orlando's acting in Ned Kelly. But your comment made me curious. I hope you don't mind answering a question for me.

With all due respect, why would a person frequent an Orlando site like ka-Bloom if he/she doesn't think he's a good actor? Just for the eye candy? Couldn't you get much more of that on a site like OBF or OBM than on a discussion board?

I hope you don't take offense, but I'd just really like to know.

Thanks,

Dairwendan

I said, I didn't think he was a great actor. I do think he is a good actor with a lot of potential, just not "blow me out of the water" great in his roles so far. I really enjoyed him in LOTR and Pirates but not so much in Troy (probably because I was anticipating the movie so much). There are many actors I enjoy but don't think they are great actors. Their charisma draws me in. Does that make sense.

Edited to add: I am not a fan of Orlando just because he is extremely good looking, I didn't become a fan until December 2003 when I heard him doing interviews and read articles about him and really enjoyed his personality. It amazes me that he has all this fame thrown at him and yet he is still a normal person and I admire that about him.

I come to ka-bloom not only because of Orlando but because the community here is wonderful and mature.

Okay I finally watched Ned Kelly and I also agree that it was 'haunting'. It was nice to see Orlando play a different role than what we're used to. I thought he did an amazing job with the character and really enjoyed the movie.

Well, I bought my copy at Best Buy in the "Special Buy" section (guess they didn't think there would be much demand for the film) for $19.99. I think it is a very sad film, overall. "Haunting," yes. The few funny moments were a relief. At first I wasn't sure what killed Joe, but I assume a bullet hit an artery in his thigh or groin? I'm surprised he would die so quickly from that, but I don't know anything about anatomy. Orlando did a great job portraying the death. He had two 'Will Turner' moments in the film where he moved exactly like Will and made an expression exactly like Will, but overall, he did a good job. The expression on his face when he killed his friend made my heart ache for him.

I could have done without all the animals dying. The docu about the real Kelly Gang was interesting. I'd like to see the real "armor" Ned made in person some time. Seeing it onscreen was heart-breaking, with the deep dents the bullets made. The way people can hurt each other, literally as well as figuratively, just makes me tired.

I'm glad I finally got to see the film. Now if we can just get The Calcium Kid here in the US, my life will be complete. :)

I rented the DVD today and gulped it down - I give the movie 3 stars out of 4, I wanted more character development, more about why Ned was such an angry person, more about why they turned outlaw, etc. Lots of people have horrible experiences, Ned Kelly certainly wasn't the only mistreated Irish settler, but why was he the way he was?

OK, off the soapbox.

However, that said, the movie was haunting (I had to stop watching after about 20 minutes to go to my daughter's swimming lesson and I almost ran a stopsign, I was still in Australia) and sad and the acting was good. I was very impressed by Orlando's acting, his accent, his thorough absorbtion in the character. I don't consider myself a great judge of acting ability but what I look for is believability and whether the personality of the actor is present. In this case, Orlando Bloom was not on the screen, Joe Byrne was. It wasn't makeup either. Orlando Bloom is a charming, charasmatic, and handsome 21st century man and Joe Byrne, as protrayed by OB, was none of those things.

This is not a movie I would have sought out if I wasn't drawn to Orlando, but I'm glad I saw it. It wasn't nearly as violent as I had been led to believe.

Now, I have to go back for a few scenes. I admit I was distracted during part of the movie and didn't see the bathtub scene.:cry: :huh:

Aliza

Guest MereBearSquared

SPOILERS!!!!!!

The movie was fabulous.

I BAWLED my eyes out.

Heath Ledger, of course, was a very passionette actor - I loved him in it.

It was just, not so much that BECAUSE Orlando was in it, I was focused on him all the time but every scene - if he was not even in dialouge, he'd have awesome facial expressions and reactions - they were amazing and kept the scene going. And it's just I have the typical outlook on Orlando from Troy, and LOTR, and POTC - It was something so new for him! He was amazing. I give him a lot of pointage for his acting. Orlando was indeed, fantastic. I thought he was absolutely amazing. The scene that always sticks out in my head, besides the bath-tub scene . . .getting to gutter . .don't go to the LIGHT! :poke:

Was the very first couple of scenes, just watching him walk down that road, in amazing character and the fact that I also loved - his Irish accent was AWESOME! I thought it was fantastic.

All in all, rock out there Orlando.

Good job. :clap:

I did have a small question. This is a VERY stupid question because I know for a fact I am gonna look back and be like, "Oh that's great and OBVIOUS" But when Heath killed that horse, did they drink the horses blood because they were dehyrdated or did they eat the horse?

I dunno It might just be blatently obvious!

SPOILERS!!!!!!

I did have a small question. This is a VERY stupid question because I know for a fact I am gonna look back and be like, "Oh that's great and OBVIOUS" But when Heath killed that horse, did they drink the horses blood because they were dehyrdated or did they eat the horse?

I dunno It might just be blatently obvious!

An educated guess would be that they did it for the horse blood because they were dehydrated. Earlier when you see them by the pool with the dead boar stating that "they poisened it", the police had poisened their water supply leaving them with no other options.

Note: The horse scene was one of the fictionalized parts of the story. There is no proof that anything like that happened with the real Kelly gang.