Sign in to follow this  
Geri

33 posts in this topic

Of more concern to me is that any published opinion has the potential to influence the opinion of the public. I think the old saying,"If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it." applies to this situation. Keep saying, "so-and-so is effeminate." long enough and people will think it's true even if it's obviously false.

I'm not an expert on Hollywood, but what I've observed is that who does and does not get to work in that town has at least as much to do with who it is considered stylish to like as who really has the most ability. I think articles like the one on BOP, along with others, have the potential to start " bashing" fads that can sink a career. I'm sure the authors are quite aware of this effect.

TF, I agree with everything you say, the above particularly.

I want to add, and I hope I'm not just re-stating what you've said, but if someone is used in the way the BOP guy used Orlando often enough, they actually will become a punch line and nothing more.

Barry Manilow, anyone? At one point he was hotter than hot. Then he became a punch line. It's more than two decades later and he's still a punchline, and he hasn't had a top ten hit since. He's very talented, he writes damn catchy tunes, but his career is basicaly over except for hardcore fans. Why? Cause he was used by people who were using this exact same type of humor to personify 'wimp music'. Then lazier and lazier so-called humorists or comics used his name again and again for a cheap laugh. And pretty soon it was 'uncool' to like his music. And guess what, it still is. I'm not a huge Barry Manilow fan, but I think the way he is still being used as a cheap joke is unfair.

There used to be a rock group named Winger, they had a hit record, and good concert ticket sales. When 'Beavis and Buthead' hit MTV, they trashed a Winger video. Then they trashed another one. Winger's ticket sales went down, then their record contract wasn't renewed. 'Beavis and Butthead' was 'cool' so therefore Winger was 'uncool'. Winger sued Mike Judge (He wrote and did the voices for 'B and B') I dodn't know how that court case came out, but I remember that Mike Judge's comment was, "I can't help it if Winger smells like lilacs in the springtime."

Now at the time, I liked B and B and I hadn't been into Winger, so I didn't really care. But now I see that it IS too easy for the public to be convinced by media figures who are basically just being smartasses and going for a laugh that one actor, band, movie, etc, is 'uncool' and by doing so completely ruin years of hard work by the now 'uncool' to build a career. So these media figures have a responsibility to not shape the public perception of someone else negatively just to look 'cooler than thou'.

Now, if anyone wants to help Orlando avoid becoming a punchline, there is only one thing you can do. NOTHING. Whatever you do, do NOT protest when he is used as a punchline, because the smartasses LOVE that! What the smartasses hate, just like any troll on a message board, is to be ignored. So when you see it, (I mean no offense to you, MovieImp, obviously this is just my opinion, and you are more than entitled to yours, and I believe whole heartedly that you have every right to do whatever you feel, and post whatever you wish) don't do anything. Don't tell anyone, don't buy the magazine, don't visit the website, don't circulate the reference, DON'T give any feedback. People who write articles like this love attention, any reaction is a good reaction for them. It's just like paparazzi pictures. If The Star published a pic of Orlando on the cover and nobody bought the magazine, how many paparazzi do you think would be following him the next week? How many more pics of him do you think The Star would buy? Not many, I assure you.

And then when he did a legitimate interview in a legitimate magazine and the issues flew off the stand, they'd just stand there scratching their pointy heads and wonder what is going on? :shiny:

So if an article using Orlando as a punchline or being negative about Orlando is published on a website and it gets no hits, there would be the same result.

Yet, how strange, ka-Bloom, OBM and the OB Files are still getting thousands of hits a day?

Hmmm. . .

Okay that's my say.

Dairwendan

Okay that's my say.

And WELL said, girl!

:towel:

To me, it's pretty simple: As Orlando makes more and more films, the acting will speak for itself.

Would Ridley Scott or Cameron Crowe (or the suits in Hollywood) stake millions of dollars on a 'pretty face' who couldn't act? NO.

Right On, Jan.

The only critics who count are the movie makers: the producers and the directors. Obviously, they have seen something in Orlando, both professionally and personally, and they want him to be in their movies.

I watched "Hot Ticket" today on TV, and they featured six of Hollywood's young stars as "up-and-coming" A-List stars. The first male they mentioned was our Orlando :wub: , and the hostess of the show drooled and nearly fell off her stool as she declared "He really has IT".... I yelled back, "You bet he does"! They showed several close-up film clips from LOTR, POTC and Troy. Leonard Maltin then said that Orlando showed great presence as Legolas, was outstanding as the swashbuckling hero in POTC, and gave a terrific performance as Paris in Troy.

This is the kind of critical acclaim from respected critics that Orlando has earned. :clap:

Guest sweetbaby231
Would Ridley Scott or Cameron Crowe (or the suits in Hollywood) stake millions of dollars on a 'pretty face' who couldn't act? NO.

From a reliable source, I know that Balian is supposedly in his early 30s. Ridley could've easily hired an actor in his early 30s, given that there are obviously great actors that age, and he probably wouldn't have the difficulty of making that actor look older with make-up. He could've done that, but he decided to get a young actor. That fact by itself, says a lot.

This just proves that a master like Ridley believes in Orlando. Nobody knew who Russell Crowe was before 'Gladiator', and look at how he's respected. I believe that after this movie comes out, the same will happen for Orlando. :wub:

Guest Bev

I DITTO YOUR DITTO TF.

Everyone has spoken so eloquently about this that I can think of nothing to add.except.well.I was thinking of the childrens' little saying about.." Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"... Well, words can hurt and do if said enough times by enough people in enough places.

The advice to just say nothing or do nothing in response to the ugly comments makes sense.but boy.is it going to be hard.

But.I'm still keeping my rope. :rant: It might come in handy. :wink:

Bev

I ditto all the dittos. :blink: The mind boggles.

I think Jan has a great point. Big Directors and producers would not invest in a hollywood flop now would they.

You hang on to that rope Bev!

Hang on to it for dear life!

And I will keep the tar and feathers.Never know when you'd need rope, tar and feathers. *nods*

:lol:

x Claire x

I DITTO YOUR DITTO TF.

The advice to just say nothing or do nothing in response to the ugly comments makes sense.but boy.is it going to be hard.

But.I'm still keeping my rope. :rant:  It might come in handy. :wink:

.And we has our butter knife, precious. Oh yes, we keeps it.in case we needs it.

:ph34r:

Satisfying fantasies of torture and mutilation aside, I for one plan to continue plopping my heinie down in that theatre seat multiple times on all of Orlando's movies, buying the DVD's, buying the mags with the positive articles, and hitting every poll until my mouse gives out.

TF

:paperbag: