Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marny

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

yes I saw this too. Copied and pasted it via Babelfish, so it may not be accurate, by the babel fish translation says Orlando does not 'fit' . Whether this is a scheduling problem or simply the directors vision of the character it does not say. Any Ka-Bloomies fluent in German, can you help? Although there was a similiar report saying that Ridley Scott was going to cast an unknown as the lead in KOH, so you never know, these thing are never set in stone until actors and directors have signed up and started filming.

Diane

The German text does indeed say that Orlando does not "fit." Can't comment as I know nothing of the storyline/characters.

It also says if filming cannot go ahead this August (because presumably they cannot find the right actor(s)) then they will be looking to start next May.

Just to add that the first paragraph of the German article says that there is a delay to filming because of scheduling issues with the principal actors.

However, it still says later on that Orlando does not suit the role so who knows who it will be?

Just to add that the first paragraph of the German article says that there is a delay to filming because of scheduling issues with the principal actors.

However, it still says later on that Orlando does not suit the role so who knows who it will be?

caz, please feel free to edit and add to original posts, as opposed to adding to the thread. Helps keep the database down to a manageable size.

Every little bit helps. :wink:

Guest elfdream

I hate to say it but if Orlando took this part it would be the first movie of his that I would miss deliberately. The subject matter does not interest me in the least.

I had the movie "From Hell' on my shelf for literally months before I could bring myself to watch it.and I love Johnny Depp!

Some things I just can't get into.

elfdream

Guest EmilyStrange

Well, maybe they are just considering his looks. But hey, Charlize Theron didn't exactly suited for her role in Monster. Make up can do everything. There were previous reports that talked about Johnny Depp, he's also too beautiful to play Grenoiulle but he was too "old".

Who knows.maybe he's already too high for their budget (they have 50 million, which is not that much considering an usual A-list salary.) *shrugs*

I started this book the other day and it's pretty interesting, although it's nothing like I would normally read. I haven't gotten very far into it yet. Just haven't had as much time as I would like for reading. Can't seem to stay away from the computer. :whistle:

I started this book the other day and it's pretty interesting, although it's nothing like I would normally read. I haven't gotten very far into it yet. Just haven't had as much time as I would like for reading. Can't seem to stay away from the computer. :whistle:

I seem to have this same problem. And although my computer is being fixed at the moment, I seem to find others willing to let me use theirs. So I haven't actually picked up a book in a week, which is very strange for me. :)

Guest Galadriel72

Hi Girls,

I speak German and would love to translate this article for you - could someone post a link or send me the text?

Greetings,

Galadriel72

Hi, I'm new. Just thought I'd let you now how I liked the book because I only new about it because of this thread and Orlando's possible involvement.

WARNING: I tried not to, but I may have been to specific and this post may contain spoilers.

I finished Perfume just before midnight on August 18. I have to admit the book wasn't bad but it wasn't good either, actually it just wasn't my kind of book. I never felt that bad about putting the bookmark in and just walking away from the plot and characters. BUT, how can I put this as not to spoil it . when the 25th ‘thing' happened I was hooked and had to finish the book. I have never wanted a character to die that much in my life - my hatred towards Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights didn't come close. I :censor: ing wanted Grenouille to die!!!! (I know I'm not suppose to use that many ! but there are no words to describe my distain for him).

I have to say Patrick Suskind is/was a great author. I have to admit I had to whip out the old dictionary a few times to figure out what he was saying :paperbag: .

p.s. I know I should feel bad or at least grossed out by the ending but I'm not. Sometimes I pitied Grenouille but at the end I wanted the ‘retribution' to happen - then sometime totally different happened :O .

p.p.s. Sometimes I tried to picture Grenouille as Orlando but I couldn't do it. The character was to horrible. How this could be made into a movie is beyond me.

Guest Beibei

There's a TV series I watched in Chinese, and there's a really really evil woman in it (okay, kinda vague, but the actress got her car smashed up because people hated her character so much). I was re-watching it a few weeks ago and she was just going more evil, and I hated her so much I had to skip to the ending to see her execution. Morbid, I know, but honestly, she is the most hateful character in the world. Ugh.

Guest CleopatraSnake

"The Perfume" has been one of my favorite books for some years now.

The idea of having Orlando linked with this amazing story and picturing him playing that murderer Grenouille is absolutely awesome! :rolleyes:

The way Suskind describes his journey towards the perfect smell, including his own birth (one of the most powerful scenes I've ever read), might give Orlando a depth of character he won't find in so many stories out there.

The fact of Grenouille being extremely ugly is set "on the eye of the reader". Though described as an horripilent kind of dejected human being, it's the way he thinks, plans and commits his murderers that gives him that horror aura.

I think this project would propel Orlando to try his best acting skills, to bring out all the deamons he has kept and it would, finally, cut off the critics of all those who say that his only talent is being good looking.

This would be the perfect role for him to play right now, at the hight of his success and capable of proving wrong those who criticise him.

Love, Joana :wave:

From the News Section and OBM:

The Perfume News - Translation

posted by Marie, 11/11/04

Petra sent in the translation of the article rumouring that Ben Wishaw is the new favourite actor for Tom Tykwer's "The Perfume" project.

Whishaw outpaces Bloom. He is 24 years old and neither in Europe nor in Hollywood well-known. But Ben Whishaw managed to mulct heart- throb Orlando Bloom of a prestigious main role. The young Brit should now be Tom Tykwers first choice for his film "The Perfume". Thus at least the rumors say during The American Film Market,a meeting for Independent film producers in Santa Monica. So far it was always considered to be Tykwers plan that Bloom was to play the main role of the smell-fixed Frenchman Grenouille in "The Perfume". But now it suddenly seems that Whishaw receives the part. The British was trained on the famous Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Already at the age of 23 he played the Hamlet at the old Vic theatre - and received much critic praise for its achievement. Beside the new leading actor there are also rumors about the rest of cast list: Tykwer wants to engage earned film veterans as Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman for two supporting roles. And while Orlando Bloom is preparing for shooting "POTC 2" with Keith Richards, Ben Winshaw will be playing The Rocker in the Stones Biopic "The game and Wycked World of Brian Jones".

Don't :tomato: me, but I'm relieved (if its true). I read this book when this thread started and, well, it just wasn't my kind of story. Some of the parts absolutely sickened me and I was disturbed for days :fear: . I don't want to spoil anything, but at first I couldn't believe all the talk that someone can be evil from birth, but this character changed my mind.

I do want to see Orlando in different roles that stretch his talents as an actor. Really. But just, please not this one.

I had an opportunity to see Ben perform "Hamlet" in May. He's a wonderful young actor. I think he'll be really great and really creepy in this role. I loved this book and the character is so deliciously void of morals and guilt. I'm anxious to see Twyker bring it to the screen.

Mo :blink:

Found this in Night & Day magazine (supplement to the Mail on Sunday newspaper). It confirms the casting of Ben Whishaw.

Ben scents a leading role.

It has sold millions of copies worldwide, now a movie adaptation of Patrick Suskind's bestselling gothic novel Perfume is set for the bid screen.

I should mean A-list stardom for 24-year-old Ben Whishaw.  The Rada-trained thespian had the critics in rapture over his angst-ridden Hamlet in a beanie hat at London's Old Vic earlier this year.  He will play the lead role in the murder thriller set in the slums of 18th-century Paris, about a man whose great passion is aroma, and whose heightened sense of small leads him to commit the ultimate crime.  It's directed by Tom Twyker, whose Run Lola Run was a surprise hit in 1998, and also stars Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman.

Perfume is Whishaw's second major movie role.  He recently starred in The Wild And Wyked World Of Brian Jones, in which he plays legendary rocker Keith Richards in a film about the death of the Rolling Stones' co-founder.

I would've liked to have seen Orlando act alongside Hoffman and Rickman.

little_green