Geri

Encouraging News-Dan Eldon Story

I have a small bit to add, nothing major but to us it's an important bit of encouragement about Orlando's attachment to this project, and one you'll read about first right here at kaBloom.

Today, I received another email from Kathy Eldon and while she had nothing 'official' to report, she conveyed her feelings about Orlando's continuing interest in the project, as well as confirmation that Bronwen Hughes will direct.

We met Orlando before he was famous-- and he has been incredible in his unshaken belief in the project. He is the perfect person for this role -- reflecting the spirit of Dan -- in the most remarkable way.

:wub:

Needless to say, I was all farklempt in reading this. For Dan's mother to see what we see really validates my feelings about this project for him. :Cloud9:

Kathy tells me that they are 'very hopeful' that as soon as Orlando has time in his schedule, the project will proceed. I got the impression that the script has seen alot of work this past year and is either complete or nearly complete.

Kathy added this:

He and his wonderful manager and agent have been very positive about the project....Dan's active soul continues to inspire thousands -- and we know that Orlando Bloom will bring millions of young viewers to understand the importance of a life lived with both passion -- and compassion. 

Please visit Dan's website and read the account of his amazing life. I'd also like to recommend both The Journey is the Destination as well as the new biography by Jennifer New which is now available about Dan's life. You'll see how to order them at Dan's site or you can use our Amazon.com link at the top of the page and search for Dan Eldon at Amazon.

ETA: There is an excerpt from Jennifer New's biography that is very interesting to read if you'd like to know a little about Dan's personality. I wasn't surprised to learn he, like Orlando, was dyslexic.

Guest Zodiac

Thanks for the news, HR!

I'm always so excited when I can learn something from y'all. (which happens all the time, by the way) See, ka-Blooming is furthering my intellectual capacities. (when it's not turning them to a pile of mush with trojan thigh)

I think this would be a great project for Orlando.

I really hope that this project comes to fruition. Dan Eldon's short life is an amazing story, and I think that Orlando is the right man to do it justice. With our man's skyrocketing fame, he may now have enough clout to get it done (if he can find the time to do it).

Thank you, HR, for the wonderful news! I dearly hope this comes to fruition! It is such an inspiring story, and I think Orlando's name being attached to it will bring more attention to it. And like Zodiac said, it's wonderful how much I learn from this lovely forum! :hug:

Guest shaynalisa

I am so excited about the prospect of this project I can burst! I can so see Orlando in this role about a man who believed in something with his entire soul. I have to believe that Orlando must see some of Harry in the Dan Eldon story, and he must admire that so much. He would pull off this role with perfection.

Thanks for the update, HR!

Shaynalisa

Guest groovychick

Oh wow! It's great to know that Orlando might do this film later on down the line. I think he's so perfect for the role that I don't really care how long I have to wait to see it - as long do one day!

I think this will be a great role for Orlando and his audience is huge now. It's brilliant to know that maybe with Orlando's help, Dan Eldon's story can be brought to many people's awareness.

Thank you so much HR!

Guest Niamh

Thank you for the information HR. I'm still hopefull that this project can actually come to be and that Orlando will be cast. Even without Orlando Dan's story needs to be told but, after reading through Dan's bio, Orlando just seems so perfect that it gave me goosebumps. B)

I cannot imagine anyone else but Orlando interpreting this fasinating life on film. It seems to me that Orlando has the same passion for life, the same caring and empathetic spirit as Dan Eldon. Orlando will be the perfect choice to express such humanity and courage.

Guest elfdream

I really really really hope this happens, and not just because I want to see more Orlando on the big screen. I want this story 'out there'.

elfdream

I can't tell you how excited I am to read this. I work in the Agency that represents Bronwen Hughes, the director and have had the chance to read the script for this movie. It's a heartbreakingly beautiful story that will really showcase Orlando's acting talent. Thanks for the info HR.

Mo :whistle:

Wow. I now really do hope Orlando will get this part because it sure seems that he would love to do it, and Kathy Eldon is also encouraging. This would be a great project for him. :)

Guest Anomalee

Wow. my past is reaching out and thwacking me on the head.

I accidentally discovered and fell in love with Dan Eldon's journals a few years ago, and although I was a poor, starving student and couldn't afford to purchase the book I wanted, I kept the image of his creative brilliance in mind ever since. This is inspiring and wonderful. Thanks so much for the information and website link!

Anomalee

Guest TwinMom

I don't know enough about this story to have an opinion, but am grateful for the links to further information, and glad to see Orlando is choosing his roles carefully so as to have a varied and challenging career.

Kelly

:w00t: This is one movie that I want to see him in above all others! Journey is an amazing book and Dan was an amazing boy.

I hope this one comes to America!

Today, I received another email from Kathy Eldon and while she had nothing 'official' to report, she conveyed her feelings about Orlando's continuing interest in the project, as well as confirmation that Bronwen Hughes will direct.

Thanks HR !!

Mrs Eldon seems to be a lovely lady indeed, and to get this kind of statement from her is just great. Let´s keep our fingers crossed that Orlando will get this project off the ground in the not-too-distant future. :)

(I saw this sub-forum and went for a second 'Yes! It´s official now!' Oh well - it will be. :shiny: )

Thanks for posting that bit of info, HR. I remember reading a while back that Orlando was interested in this project, but I had no idea who Dan Eldon was and um, never actually went to look. :blush: But this time I clicked on the link and although I've only been through the summary of Dan's life, I definitely agree that there is an awe-inspiring tale in there that needs to be told. Orlando would be perfect in the role and I really hope that he and Dan's family can get this off the ground.

Thanks again.

CC :meow:

Guest Smolak

That would be such a wonderful movie! I am so thrilled to see Orlando being so involved in this kind of role! It shows what a good person he truly is. God bless him!

I confess not knowing who Dan Eldon was when I clicked on this thread.

I just spent the last half hour reading up on his website. The journals are amazing. I agree with his teacher who said he should have had more words in there. But his personality shines through in the presentation.

I'm guessing Orlando got involved or probably learned about this when he did Black Hawk Down. I agree that Orlando is best suited for this role as what I know of him are in parallel with most of what I just read out about Dan.

It would be a great film I can tell because it is not flashy, big budget Hollywood type I expect but one that explores humanity and compassion and living a full life. I'd be keeping my eye out on updates on this project.

Thanks everyone for the links, info and updates.

Jean

Jean, in this interview, there´s some info on how Orlando got to know about Dan Eldon and his life.

Will his pet project The Journeys, The Destination – about a Reuter photographer (Dan Eldon) who was stoned to death in Somalia – happen soon?

“I really want to get it made, and after Pirates I may be in a position to do that.”

Why is it so important to him?

“My sister had bought the book for my mother years ago even before I went to drama school. At the time I looked at it and asked, ‘Why are you giving this to Mum?’ It was a fantastic book but it’s a young guy’s book. So it sort of came into my life then, and then while I was doing The Lord of the Rings, one of my friends was talking about it, and when I went to Los Angeles for the first time and acquired a manager and an agent, I asked them to find out more about the rights, and then on her own Cathy Eldon (Dan’s mother) came to me. So it’s kind of like I’ve been on a long journey with it; so we’ve got to do it.”

(It used to be in the Orlando. Period. forum before the 'Crash')

Thanks Eledh. Dan's life story is amazing - I just visited the site. I could definitely see Orlando portraying such a beautiful individual. My only concern is that it will be too long before Orlando has time to make this movie, and that he will look too old. This would be an incredible opportunity for Orlando and for the world to learn about Dan Eldon.

Guest Bishwop

So he was interested in the story pre-Black Hawk Down? That's a cool little twist of fate that he will have been in two movies set in Somalia, 1993.

Guest SarcasticCheese

Nothing much new to add, but a friend of mine went to a Film Festival and ran into Jan Sardi there. They had a conversation with him and this project came up. All he had to say was that Orlando was still "interested" in it (Jan Sardi is the screenwriter) - this was as of last Monday.

Like I said, nothing really new, but she asked I pass that information along. :)

Guest Syrinx

I checked out the website for Dan Eldon some time ago and it was very interesting. Such a tragic end for a very young man. I hope they can bring this story to the screen because it is worth telling. Also, from the pictures that I saw, Orlando would be an excellent choice because there is quite a resemblance.

Guest Firebird

This looks so much like exactly what Orlando needs.I would so love to see him in something like this. I know, I know, everyone's already said all this, but I can't help it; I'm just so EXCITED! :paperbag:

:wave: FB

I've heard from Kathy Eldon intermittently over the past year, and I just wanted to post to say that her most recent email contained more encouraging news:

Spoke with Orlando's manager the other day- who confirmed his willingness to make the film- when we get the script right- which we are endeavoring to do- as we speak!

:2thumbs:

Also, Kathy was kind enough to send me VHS copies of Dying To Tell the Story and The Art of Life, a documentary by CNN. I have decided to make them both available for loan to Ka-Bloom subscribers/contributors and will be setting up a thread where you can reserve them for private viewing.

I've watched both of these programs and they are heart wrenching and sobering pieces. It is easy to see why Orlando would find this project compelling and important, and watching the footage of Dan Eldon will convince anyone that Orlando is right for this part.