Sign in to follow this  
cazrider

18 posts in this topic

Well, we knew we both had a few days off and wanted a short break somewhere.originally we were just going to go away for a few days here in England but hubby knows Morocco and we kept on checking the weather around the world and Morocco seemed ideal in terms of distance for a short break (3 hours flight) and temperature (mid-20s and up). So, last Saturday we decided to go and we flew out to Marrakech on Monday.

Hubby has a friend in Ouarzazate, having visited a few times, so by Tuesday there we were. We drove past the studios and spent some time in the town. There's loads of gossip about the filming and where it is but we drove right past a minor road near to where filming was taking place. I was beside myself when I saw the sign pointing to "Ibelin" obviously directing the crew/extras etc to the location. Sadly there was a security guard so no way you could get anywhere near the set that day. But we were back in Ouarzazate on Friday/Saturday and did an offroad buggy/kart tour (excellent fun!) which took us right past the set (they had finished by then). You couldn't really see much other than a few old buildings and a tower but it was really exciting to be there right after filming had taken place.

The friend based in Morocco thought he knew where Orlando was staying and had actually tried to reserve us a room there because it is a great place (not because he knew I'm a bit of a fan at all, purely because it is a great location) but they were full because of the Easter holidays. I was pretty gutted when I found that out, I must say!

I saw so many cars driving around with Kingdom of Heaven stickers/passes and everyone was talking about how excited they were to have the stars in town again.

I had a wonderful time but I so wish I had seen Orlando, even fleetingly. I guess if I had camped outside his hotel for hours on end I might have seen him whisked past in a limo but I decided I wouldn't be that sad! I'm sure he gets pretty fed up of that kind of attention anyway.

Wish I had more to report to you ladies but just to confirm he is, indeed, in Morocco still. Our offroad tour guide thought they would be in Ouarzazate for a little while longer and then were heading back to Marrakech.

I can't wait to see the movie now to see if I can recognise the location I saw.

Oh that is a lovely story, thanks for sharing, cazrider :hug: I'm sorry you didn't get to see him. But, if it's any consolation, you were very close by to him :shiny: Much closer then most of us :)

:wave: Thanks for the report cazrider! Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday even if you didn't spot Orlando. I always enjoy hearing about exotic locations and can't wait for KOH.

Guest shaynalisa

Sounds like an exciting time! Just knowing you were in the same town and got to see remnants of the set should be of some consolation to you. Besides, you were in an exotic place where many of us will never get to see!

Thanks for sharing your story.

Shaynalisa

I hope Orlando did have a Happy Easter in Morroco. If I were there, I'd want to do something fun like leave a message "Happy Easter Orlando!" signed "a fan" and stick it in a plastic easter egg with some chocolate ( :yum: ) and tell the hotel front desk people to give it to him. I'd like to get something surprising like that, so I bet he would too. But maybe that's a bit OTT.

Guest bluerowan

Thanks for your report cazrider. It sounds like you had a really good time despite not seeing Orlando.

3 hours from Morocco? That practically sounds like a Sunday drive! :lmao:

Guest dove

Thanks for sharing the story of your exciting trip with us cazrider. It's great to know about the excitement in the locality.

Is it better or worse to know you're in the same town as him, but not get to see him? I think I'd feel too frustrated to enjoy myself, sad as I am. I agree though that I wouldn't hang around outside a hotel waiting for him either. Glad that you enjoyed your break anyway.

MM

Thanks everyone for your replies... still don't quite know what I could have done about seeing the Gorgeous One without making a complete idiot of myself! But at least I have one photo of a location but, before anyone gets excited, you can't really see much except desert, shrubs and a few buildings!

Anyway, I really hope Orlando likes Morocco as much as I did... it truly is a very beautiful country.

Bluerowan - I guess you live in the States?.... to consider 3 hours a Sunday drive! I will drive 3 or more hours in the UK but it's a bit irritating, to be frank. 3 hours' flight to Morocco is nothing but add time to leave home, park the car and check in so add 3 hours to that and you've got it! Having said that I'm game for 20-odd hour flights so to us it's really close. We really will be going back to this wonderful country soon!

Guest bluerowan

cazrider - Canada actually. A three hour flight will not get me out of North America unless you count over the ocean! I have a friend in England and talks about going to the Canary Islands and it sounds so exotic. I am envious of people living in the UK and Europe - so many, many different countries that are so close. Don't get me wrong, living in North America is great but to travel out of here is such a loooong flight (and no I don't fly that well).

The friend based in Morocco thought he knew where Orlando was staying and had actually tried to reserve us a room there because it is a great place (not because he knew I'm a bit of a fan at all, purely because it is a great location) but they were full because of the Easter holidays. I was pretty gutted when I found that out, I must say!

Or it was full because of other Orlando nuts! :whistle:

Awesome that you got to see the set. I hope you recognize the location you saw, in the film! :)

Bluerowan - you live in a wonderful country. I have visited Canada only once (Vancouver/Whistler) but I loved it. A good friend of mine (from the UK) has family in Toronto and is seriously considering moving over there.

I agree that us Brits are lucky in terms of the number of places we can visit. Ask most Brits and they will have spent a lot of time in France/Germany/Spain/Italy.

But I would say that what you Canadians have is space.... Europe is so crowded. For this reason most of my holidays/vacations now are further away where you can breathe a little.

My final piece of advice is.... fly! It really is the safest form of transport. I used to be a pretty bad flyer but having now married a pilot I fly regularly and, honestly, it's like taking a bus!

My advice is to keep on flying and you really will find it's very safe....... go for it!

Whenever hubby's newsletters come through about air safety I always read them... the thing that used to scare me was turbulence but once I read a comment from a pilot saying, "Turbulence has never brought a plane down" and he is so right.

Flying is safe and I think you should do it more to get away.

Happy to answer any more questions... just PM me.

Guest Smolak

Wow! Glad to know he's okay, after reading the article about threats to the cast and crew because of all the fighting over there. Or maybe that's old news. I don't know. But, anywho, glad to know that he's safe.

I'm just tickled to hear someone had a great time and dosen't think too much of a 3 hour drive. I live in Texas and it seems like it's that far to much of anywhere!

What a great trip! We all get to live a little just hearing about it.

Ponycobbler

Thank you for your wonderful story, Cazrider! And I guess that answers my question of whether he is still filming KOH. Wonder how far it is from being finished, though.