Guest Guamgirl101

40 posts in this topic

Guest Guamgirl101

Thanks to Orlando Bloom Multimedia:

A new movie in Morocco has given Orlando Bloom a taste for cooking. The Pirates of The Caribbean star, who is a committed vegetarian, raved about the delicious North African meals enjoyed by members of cast and crew while filming Kingdom of Heaven. After one particularly tasty meal, consisting of cous-cous and spicy , slowly-cooked vegetables, Bloom asked the caterers for the recipe. The following day the chef personally took Bloom to a souk in Marrakesh, where he bought all the spices and a collection of earthenware bowls to take back to London.

See the link to the article here. I just thought that this was interesting to share, but if it's an inaccurate article or if it's already been posted, my apologies in advance, and feel free to delete this thread.

Guest Guamgirl101

Well that answers that then. lol! I never did watch that Flipside interview so I've still never been quite sure of how he eats. But hey, whatever makes him happy.though I wish he could cook up something for me.

This article may explain the Star article, and how stupid people can twist things. The chef took Orlando shopping (how sweet, even the caterers are in love with him), now I guess this guy turns into Orlando's "personnal chef". Since Orlando also bought some bowls, he was having the cookware in the "villa" replaced. :blink: What a crock.

On a side note, wouldn't you love to go shopping with Orlando? :wub:

Gee, I can't imagine one would need a lot of extra spice if one were dining with him... :naughty:

Who knows if it's true? :lol: I know that Moroccan food is terrific, but I love pretty much all Middle Eastern food. And you get to eat with your hands - what could be more fun?

Guest Badgirl

That article kind of annoys me, because it got the vegetarian thing wronmg again, is it me (vegetarian) thinking that its another article implying that only a vegetarian would like vegetarian food. That a meat eater would never consider eating veggie food? Or am I cranky as I am tired?

Badgirl, you're entitled to be cranky. They think if someone goes ga-ga over a dish that happens to be primarily vegetable in content, they must be a vegetarian. They're ignoramouses.

Imp, some of the best Moroccan dishes revolve around lamb or chicken - some beef, but not much. And veggies and the ubiquitous couscous. The uniquely Moroccan way of cooking is with a Tajine - a clay pot with a cone-shaped top. I stick with cooking the 'American' way (in other words, a Farberware pan!), and it's still good. And the meal is finished with sweets and Moroccan mint tea.

I found a site with some recipes: Ameerah Imports. They have a well-rounded selection of dishes.

Guest mlefay

Ooooh. I love Moroccan food. Thanks for the link, Jan. Since I sprained my ankle and my husband has been doing most of the cooking we've been eating a lot of Afgani food. Now we can add Moroccan. I went all the way to London to find and Afgani cookbook. (Ok, I admit, I was already there, but we trekked out to Notting Hill to this lovely bookstore that carries only cookbooks. I was in heaven. :shiny: )

Shopping with Orlando? :faint:

Guest Niamh
I've actually never had any. Any recommendations?

Morroccon or Middle Eastern in general? There are some common elements but each variation may call something by a different name or prepare the dish slightly differently.

Guest EntropyGoddess

My first thought on seeing this thread title was, "Well, duh, doesn't everybody?" Except my dad, who doesn't hold with any of that peculiar ethnic food nohow. He is no fun to take to restaurants.

Middle Eastern, North African, whatever type of Mediterranean food, mmm. My grad school department had a Turkish professor who hosted a huge party at his house several times a year and the food was always amazing. Lebanese food helped me reel in my husband, and hummus was one of our baby's first solid foods. She's a big hit at the local Middle Eastern restaurants.

The best part of picturing Orlando Bloom enjoying Moroccan food, for me, would be the setting. Imagine a desert sunset, a silken tent, colorful rugs, reclining on pillows, the scent of spices, and eating with your hands, seeing him looking at you over the beaten copper and earthenware dishes, swirling steam from the mint tea. I'll stop now before a plot bunny starts nibbling on my ankle.

Hmmm.so where exactly did this whole vegetarian stuff come from then?

I am kind of confused cause all the magaiznes mentions he is a vegatarian, while in that Flipside interview he says he is not. :huh:

Oh and thanks for posting the article Guamgirl101 :)

Guest Zodiac

Valerie, The vegetarian rumor was just that. It got out of hand. Somewhere Orlando said that he tried different diets while he was filming LOTR, including vegetarian. Then he spoke with someone who suggested he include meat in his diet and that seemed to work better for him, in terms of increasing his energy levels. In the Flipside interview he says right out that he is NOT a vegetarian. Therefore, Orlando is NOT a vegetarian! :lol:

All I have to say is this. I LOVE a man who can cook. :wub:

Couscous. what an interesting name. What does it taste like? and the first person that says chicken gets playfully whacked.

Couscous tastes like rice. I had it in Morocco at Epcot Center and I loved it! I make often.especially with chicken! :lol::tomato:

Couscous. what an interesting name. What does it taste like? and the first person that says chicken gets playfully whacked.

Couscous tastes like whatever you put it with, to be honest - it's one of those foods that absorb flavour. I had lemon couscous cake just the other day.

Kathryn.

Me too! I wish I knew some! :lol: Wasn't it Sean Bean who was talking about how Orlando would invite him over to his place in the morning for coffee, but Sean had to make the coffee? It's on one of the Extended Versions of LOTR. Someone help me out here! I know it was said!

By the way, cute as it sounds, when do you really think Orlando's going to have time to cook? I'm thinking that, given his hankerin' for buying gifts for people, these were just for that purpose! I'm not by any means saying that he can't cook or will never be able to, but I wouldn't be surprised if these bowls and recipe showed up at his mum's house! :lol:

Liz

Yes, couscous is a grain, similar to rice but the grains are about half the size of short-grain (or sushi) rice. If your local grocer carries the "Far East" brand of boxed rices (often found in the Natural Foods or ethnic areas), they make an excellent version - add the water and spices and cook. I often have it with roast chicken instead of rice or taters.

My Dad was good with a BBQ, but couldn't cook. Except for one thing: Poached eggs on toast. He did it better than Mom, so when I was sick, that was what I wanted to eat.

Guest Niamh

Couscous is a middle eastern pasta that looks like large grands of sand albeit the color of pasta. It is a bit bland plain but is excellent, as noted above, at picking up flavors. I have a dish that I kind of came up with lite coconut milk, golden raisens, chicken tenderloin, sweet onions, paprika, nutmeg, and touch of cinnamon that I love.

Kebabs, couscous, hummus, eggplant-based dishes, yogurt-cucumber-dill dips, tahini and eggplant dips, pita bread - the real thing not that tasteless variety you find in the grocery store, lamb dishes with mint and parsely, tabboleh (my favorite salad of bulghur wheat or couscous, parsley, onion, tomato, olive oil, and lemon juice), and aromatic rices are the main stays of middle eastern type cuisines. It is my all time favorite cuisine and if I could only choose one it would be based on this.

If you 've ever had baklava or dolmas (grape leaves) your in the right ballpark.

Wasn't it Sean Bean who was talking about how Orlando would invite him over to his place in the morning for coffee, but Sean had to make the coffee? It's on one of the Extended Versions of LOTR.  Someone help me out here! I know it was said!

I think it was Eric Bana who said that when he was somewhere with Orlando. Well, now I had to dig it up:

From OBM archives

Aww. big brother present little brother the award. Lisa attended the Hollywood Awards gala ceremony and she sent us her report:

"Back home now. I went last night to the awards. No "one on one" encounter but still fun! Orlando looked great. It was nice to see him up close and hear that sexy voice. Eric Bana presented his award. (very gorgeous!) I don't know if I can remember word for word but he said he had been honored to spend six months with Orlando working. He joked that each day Orlando would invite him for coffee and then make him make the coffee LOL!!! Bana said Orlando got away with it because he loves him.

And I had the impression that couscous is (like pasta) made from durum-wheat semolina with salt and water. Yes, I had to check that too. I'm beginning to be :wacko:. Thank God for Google.

sillymom

Valerie, The vegetarian rumor was just that. It got out of hand. Somewhere Orlando said that he tried different diets while he was filming LOTR, including vegetarian. Then he spoke with someone who suggested he include meat in his diet and that seemed to work better for him, in terms of increasing his energy levels. In the Flipside interview he says right out that he is NOT a vegetarian. Therefore, Orlando is NOT a vegetarian! :lol:

Ah ha! I see.

Thanks for the explanation Zodiac :)

Who doesn't love a man who cooks. :wub:

Guest Aurore
That article kind of annoys me, because it got the vegetarian thing wronmg again, is it me (vegetarian) thinking that its another article implying that only a vegetarian would like vegetarian food. That a meat eater would never consider eating veggie food? Or am I cranky as I am tired?

I don't think you are cranky either. It annoys me too. I'm not an 'official' vegetarian, but I often don't eat meat at dinner. It's too much for an evening meal for me. And I eat at a cafetaria for lunch. When the meats proposed don't inspire me, I just take veggies instead. I often get strange looks and I'm asked if I'm on a diet or if I'm a vegetarian!

Guest Elorian

I've actually had different people in different situations get angry when I just mentioned being vegitarian. And I live in California !!! Imagine what they'd do if they found out I'm vegan. :rolleyes: One of my aunties even thinks I'll die from not eating meat. She says, "You need to eat real food" ! I'm not exactly underweight or anything.

Back to Orlando, whatever he's doing seems to be working for him, so I'd encourage him to do whatever he feels is best for his body. I do love a man who cooks. I wonder if he cooks at all. Hot sun, hot spicy food, hotter spicier man.Mmmmmmmmmmmm B)

Guest kygirl04

I totally know what you mean. I (also vegetarian) can't stand when people think that. Or when people think that they cant go one meal without eating meat! It just drives me crazy. :angry:

But I also love that about Orlando that he isn't like that and he likes and even tried to be vegetarian. :)

I tried the vegetarianism thing last year. Didn't last long, as my iron level plummeted and my energy went to zero.

Besides, I like my rare moo-cow too much. I tend to limit the meat to a couple of times a week (perhaps with one lunch or dinner of leftovers), as much from an economic POV as anything else.

Now there is no flippin' way I could do the vegan thing. I. Love. CHEESE. And eggs. Hmm, a cheese omlette sounds good right now...with a big old slice of ham. :lol: