Guest Optimist

52 posts in this topic

Yes but there's a curly-headed, sweet-looking, young, brown-eyed cutie in it! I gotta see this! I don't care what's being said about it! It'll only cost me two bucks to rent it on DVD when available. I've spent $8.50 on movies I've absolutley hated!

Bring it on!

Liz

Guest treasurehunt

Bah!! Still dying to see it. And the criticism really didn't have anything to do with Orlando or his acting, just the other characters and the script. I will see and buy any project that Orlando chooses to make. The fact that he was drawn to it, for whatever reason, makes it worthy enough for me.

Lisa

Guest dove

I've never listened to critics or journalists paid to watch films, and I don't intend to start now. If I had, some of the films which have become favourites for me I would never have seen. The Calcium Kid is pitched at a young audience and Empire magazine isn't. I'll be giving the film and Orlando a chance and making up my own mind when I see it.

I don't usually listen to reviewers anyway. Oh so many movies I love they hate and vice versa.

I usually like to decide myself. Hmmm I wonder when/if it will be on our screens in Oz? :w00t:

Never listened to reviewers....never will. Doesn't matter anyway, as long as our baby boy is in it. :Cloud9: I think the reviewer will need some salt and pepper for her words once opens, because kaBloomies will be turning out in hoards to see it.

I never listen to critics. I form my own opinion, after I’ve seen a movie. I’ve seen the trailer and I think it looks very good. I can’t wait to see this movie. Since I’m in Canada, that could be a long freakin’ wait.

Kelly

Guest Sue31

I certainly will be watching this on the 30th April and I don't take any notice of reviewers, especially critics from Empire Magazine. Some years ago it was a good read but suddenly took a nose dive and has become the film world equivalent of the Sun newspaper. In the last year it has lost readers in droves due to it's change.I only take notice of Hotdog (which is very indepth and interesting) or Total Film.

Everyone who's seen the film bar this reviewer has been very positive so maybe it just wasn't her type of thing.or maybe it's me. Empire adored Kill Bill.I think Tarantino has his head up his very pretentious arse.so. :Cloud9:

Whatever.if you ladies like I will report back when I see it.

Guest chloe

Oh well, a bad review :Cloud9: Even though I really don't dig how this movie looks, I'm still going to see it if it ever comes to my country whether it be in a cinema, video or DVD. Only because of Olando, I want to support him. I want his movies to make money :lol:

Chloe.

Hmmmm . . . maybe it's because Orlando is such an GREAT actor he makes every one else look bad?? :Cloud9:

Whatever. At least she didn't blast him. I recall him in interviews pondering the rough spots that could/would happen on his journey, maybe this was what he was thinking when he made those comments --- if this film was already "in the can" and there was nothing more he could do about it. Whatever.

He'll still get my nickel for the film. Hopelessly devoted I am . . .

Guest elfdancr426

Ah, whatever. I refuse to form an opinion based solely on tiny clips of the movie nor any reviews I've read. Case in point: as popular and well-received as LOTR is, there are still very negative reviews about those movies as well that I wouldn't dare agree with. Let's just wait and see what the movie does for us as individuals instead of creating negative buzz over a few crummy viewpoints.none of us have seen it as of yet. Give it a chance.

One bad review does not a bad movie make - but this does worry me slightly. Not so much because I think I won't enjoy the movie (I know I'll love it) but because it could affect the publicity that the film gets, and possibly even the distribution.

Empire may not review to everyone's taste, but it is recognised as a reputable film reviewer, and the favourite source for poster-quotes. Nine times out of ten when a movie poster has a quote from Empire saying it's good, then it is good (while if the quote on there is Paul Ross from the News of the World, then it's probably not).

The kind of advance publicity that a film generates can affect where it gets shown when it has a budget as tiny as this- which affects its box office. I'm doubtful now that my local cinema will show it - I'm going to have to travel to get to see it. I'm prepared to make that effort, but many of Orlando's younger fan base (who would go and see the movie just for him) won't be able to.

I just can't see this movie reaching its biggest audience if it gets a limited release, and adverse publicity won't help in that.

I guess we shall have to wait and see what happens.

Kathryn.

Guest Suzie

Does anyone know if this will be released in the United States? First, we had to wait FOREVER for Ned Kelly to be released, ( and limited release, at that! ) and now we aren't sure if we will be getting Calcium Kid. :ph34r:

Who cares. I would watch Orlando reading the phone book and enjoy it.

:giveup: Ditto. As for the review, eh, you can't please everyone. I'm just glad they didn't bash Orlando, cuz then I'd have to BASH them. right in the nose! :whistle: :wink:

Guest Tattoochris

Those who can.do

Those who can't.talk about it

I don't pay any attention to the reviews either.

In the UK we will get people who will knock this film, they will feel that Orlando is getting too big, too soon, I think it is called the 'tall poppy syndrome'. Build 'em up and knock 'em down.

It's a good job that Orlando has so many loyal fans!

And I would too pay to see him read a 'phone book!

Chris

Guest Clementine

Well, I don't post a lot in here even if I come to visit every day, because most of the time what I want is all ready said but here I wanted to express myself!

Between all the movies we are waiting to see, calcium kid is the one I want to see the most! Because it is quite different from what he did before, above all : it is not a blockbuster and I think it's interesting. If he did think that movie was good, I trust him! indeed what a movie may seem on paper can be really different once on the pellicule but that is a all other problem. What I saw in the trailers seem good to me, and not only because of him. and only for the fact he did dare to do something different he is used to do, or what people expect him to do: I think this movie is a must see! I enjoyed the trailer a lot, I love that kind of british humor and I wont miss it!

Guest Beibei

I think the reasons for disliking it were a matter of opinion. The review wasn't very subjective. I mean, saying 'irritating' could just be one person's opinion. I had a sneaking feeling the Herbie character was not going to be much fun, but the fact that Calcium Kid is such a non-formulaic strange piece that they had to put formulaic characters in. There was another review a few days ago too, and it was a good one. I'm saying it's a matter of opinion. After all, Empire gave 21 grams 5 stars and Total Film gave it 3, saying that it was trying too hard.

I , like many of you read the reviews but never take any notice of them. Many of my favourite films were slated by critics, because one person said something negative others felt they had to follow suit, take the "Star Wars" films, "Titanic" and "Pearl Harbour" as examples. In the end, its the audience that decides, regardless of what "Mr,." from wherever said.

If Orlando thinks that TCC is good enough for him then it's good enough for me, and I will be supporting him completly, especially as it's his first film in a leading role. I've seen the trailer and I am 100% looking forward to it. What many people tend to forget is that Orlando went into this film before POTC and they are used now to seeing him in bit budget movies, so they will naturally have a go at him doing anything less. OK, so "Empire" didn't knock Orlando personally, but criticising anything he does will naturally hurt him, and I don't intend to be a part of that.

Sorry if I seem a bit. :naughty: , but I had to say my piece.

Guest Cl@re

That link doesn't seem to work anymore. But to be honest I take reviews with a pinch of salt. :wink: I don't need some "film expert" telling me what's good & what isn't. Their taste is bound to be nothing like mine, so I'd sooner find out for myself. Besides a good review can hype something up so much, my expectations can be hightend and I end up feeling disappointed. Where a bad reviewed film can give me a pleasent suprise.

Guest klumzkatie

The link doesn't work for me, but after reading the posts I'm assuming it's a bad one. No matter what negative things were said in the review, I really think it's going to be a good movie. I don't ever listen to critics, especially when they say something bad about a movie I'm looking forward to!

Katie :fear:

Hmmm, not a good review that's for sure but I'm not bothered by it. You can't expect everyone to like a certain movie. The Calcium Kid is probably not a movie that I would see if Orlando wasn't in it, but since he is I will give it a try. Mainly I'm interested in seeing him in a different, more contemporary role. It looks like it might be pretty funny too. Plus Orlando just looks so adorable as Jimmy, how could you not see it?

Guest Elements

The reviewer doesn't know what they are talking about. The film is brilliant. It is funny and sweet and done in such a way that is meant to be walking the line of cringe worthy. Is it filmed like a fly on the wall and all the characters are brilliant in acting in such a way as to be aware of, but not want to seem aware of, the cameras. Yes they are strong characters, comedic characters, but the acting is such that none of them appears over the top - least of all Jimmy. He is so sweet and so innocent and trusting that everyone, Orlando fan or not, will love him to bits. Everyone laughed out loud at several points during the film and I honestly think that this will get better reviews in future. It is very funny and really something a little bit different. Orlando really shows his acting abilities in this, from all the clowning around like doing an Irish jig, to the heavy emotional stuff (and the tears, oh the tears!) and even some other naughtier stuff, he is just brilliant. He will shine through no matter what anyone says about the film. but the film is great anyway so I can't see too many people not liking it.