ka-Bloom.org Forum

More Casting news

Guest skyfire

Guest skyfire

From Variety and Comingsoon.net .

Paramount has tapped Susan Sarandon for Cameron Crowe's romantic comedy Elizabethtown, starring along with Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom, reports Variety. Also in talks are Judy Greer for the role of Heather, Jessica Biel for Ellen and Loudon Wainwright III for Uncle Dale. Paula Dean is also in negotiations for a role.

Sarandon is in talks to portray the role of the mother of Bloom's character for the project, produced by Crowe and Paramount-based Cruise/Wagner with filming expected to start this summer.

Described as a love letter to the resilience of the life force, the project centers on an unexpected romance that develops against the backdrop of the elaborate memorial for a Kentucky patriarch.

--------------------------------------------------

Hrm, not too sure about Jessica Biel. I like Susan Sarandon, though. :drool:

Guest Clarissa

Egads! Not Jessica Biel! Anyone but Jessica Biel! She's already weedled her way into one of my favorite movie series. This is not making me want to see the movie any more. I like Susan but I don't rush out to see movies starring her.

Kirsten Dunst and Jessica Biel, I'm sorry Orlando but I'll have to wait for video or DVD so I can just watch the parts you're in.

I looked up the others mentioned in the article on IMDb.

Judy Greer was the assistant in The Wedding Planner and she was the girl they made over in Jawbreaker.

Loudon Wainwright III was Capt. Spalding on M*A*S*H the TV show.

Paula Dean has done some TV movies.

Guest Jeanne
Loudon Wainwright III was Capt. Spalding on M*A*S*H the TV show.

Actually, he's a very famous folk musician.

He has had some small acting roles over the years. He has a small part in the upcoming Leo DiCaprio movie about Howard Hughes.

But really, he's noted for his wonderful music.

from MegaStar

"...Sarandon has been earmarked to play Bloom's mother in the movie - not that there's loads of girls out there who'd love to mother the lush, oh no.."

Nin raises hand, Me! Memememememememe! I can do this!

Gah! Susan Sarandon is one of my heroes . this movie ought to be killer (as the kiddos say).

OT here, but also mentioned there.

"And still more joy for the boy Bloom: he has been named the fifth best dressed man in Britain in a poll of the top 500 style-setters for GQ magazine."

So the boy who only owns three outfits is doing rather well in them. :wink:

:lol: LadyNin's sig!! Flashbacks to camp a gazillion years ago . . .

whew, okay, where were we? Oh yeah, Susan Sarandon. SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Much better option over Jane Fonda (sorry all you Jane lovers out there but we Montanians have major buffalo bones to pick with her and Ted).

Guest Maxima

Great news, I really like Susan Sarandon! :w00t:

Jessica Biel is that the girl from the 7th something show . oh 7th heaven now I remember, it's her right?

Maria - being to lazy to look her up at IMDB

:w00t: Don't worry about Jessica Biel, Clarissa. She plays Drew Baylor's girlfriend that dumps him after he gets fired. So we can hate her all we want! :) It's probably just a cameo anyways since her part looks small.

ETA: You're right, Maxima, she's from 7th Heaven.

Edited by Rita

I was so happy to hear that one of my favorite actresses was joining Elizabethtown, I love Jessica Biel! :fear:

Just kidding, I don't even know who she is :blush:

Susan Sarandon is one of the best actresses of her (or any) generation. I have always loved her work. Her joining the production says a lot about the quality of the project, and will cause critics to sit up and take notice. Our RSG continues to make films, surrounded by amazing actors. This says a lot about his intelligence, and his instincts. Our baby boy will go far :wave:

:fear:  Don't worry about Jessica Biel, Clarissa.  She plays Drew Baylor's girlfriend that dumps him after he gets fired.  So we can hate her all we want!  :wave:  It's probably just a cameo anyways since her part looks small.

ETA: You're right, Maxima, she's from 7th Heaven.

Well thank goodness for that! I cannot stand Jessica Biel.

I love Susan though, I am so excited that she is going to be part of this movie. For some reason though I have a hard time picturing her as Orlando's mom in the movie. I know age wise it fits, but she is just so vibrant and sexual, to me they should be having a more "personal" onscreen relationship. Now that would be a match! :blush:

Susan Sarandon. Excellent choice. A first rate actor and respected in the business. Though her taste in Oscar attire could use improving. I've loved her ever since 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' and she is fabulous in 'Bull Durham', one of my favorite movies. Yeah, I can imagine she will enjoy working with Orlando VERY much indeed. But wouldn't we all?

What great news regarding Susan Sarandon. I think she's a great actress, always very believable when playing a character.

QUOTE (HopelessRomantic @ Wed, Mar 31, 2004, 01:52 PM)

Why do I envision Susan Sarandon enjoying a role with Orlando VERY much?  :leg: 

That did cross my mind as well. She's not a stupid, or blind, woman.

Ray :wub:

Guest SamanthaMichelle

That is good news - Susan Sarandon is an absolutely brilliant actress, and might help make up for the terrible acting of Kirsten Dunst. :paperbag:

Guest AshleighRose

I am very pleased that Susan Sarandon is to play Orlando's mother in this movie.

She is an amazing actress and I think that both her and Orlando will have great chemistry on screen with each other.

I loved Susan in 'Stepmom'. :rolleyes:

From The Uncool.com. The casting news mentioned in the Variety article are in talks play roles in Elizabethtown and Judy Greer is the first to be confirmed (she plays Drew Baylor's sister.)

• 2 weeks later...
Also in talks are Judy Greer for the role of Heather, Jessica Biel for Ellen.

Sigh. There go my fond fantasies on being cast as Ellen. Not that I would want to break Orlando's heart, but Kristin Dunst was cast a long time ago. I live in Oregon, too, so I'm pretty excited about Orlando showing up in July! Although, he might be here while I'm in Kentucky, and in Kentucky while I'm here. Wouldn't that be a shame. :shiny:

Lauren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Solana

Susan Sarandon would be an excellent choice to play the mother! I have been a fan of hers since Rocky Horror as well. A much better choice than Jane Fonda anyday. Jane hasn't done anything I liked since On Golden Pond. I hope it pans out :)

I am so looking forward to this summer. I live in Kentucky and plan on taking a short trip over to see if we can find him to see him in person. It is so exciting that they are actually shooting here. I have been looking for information on exactly when they will be shooting the film. And I am excited on hearing about Susan Sarandon. I have always enjoyed watching her in movies. She is an extraordinary actress.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, interview with Kirsten Dunst in Alameda Times-Star (originally from the Los Angeles Times). It is for Spider-Man 2 promotion, but she does mention Elizabethtown at the end.

Dunst is shaping her own character for 'Spider-Man 2' role

By Rachel Abramowitz

LOS ANGELES TIMES

HOLLYWOOD

KIRSTEN Dunst is languid. In the heat of the spring afternoon, the 22-year-old actress has melted into the couch in the lobby of the Chateau Marmont hotel.

She sometimes comes here with her girlfriends and hangs out by the pool. "It feels like a little vacation," says Dunst, from the side of her mouth. She's chewing fiercely on the straw of her iced coffee. Her milk-fed blondness, which she's mined for both comedy and pathos, seems more irregular and slightly impish now that she's freed from the dictates of costume and makeup. She's wearing faded blue shorts and a loose white T-shirt, her black-rooted hair twirled about in an odd hairdo, a transitional

growing-out coif that comes with lots of hairpins and a tiny sprite of a ponytail.

Vacation is something Dunst speaks of longingly as she rides the "Spider-Man 2" marketing juggernaut, a whirl of activity that will encompass many countries on many continents, multiple magazine covers, a multiday Mario Testino "Vogue" shoot ("All of his assistants are gorgeous. It's so intimidating to be around, being photographed and being watched by these gorgeous guys") and a stint on "Oprah." "I did it once before, and that lighting is not geared to me. That's for sure," she says with a giggle. "I look so funny. Little squinty eyes and this huge lug of hair."

Dunst doesn't have the perma-press emotionality of someone who's been in the Hollywood spin cycle too long, with every feeling processed and reprocessed and trotted out for public consumption. It's a small miracle, given that she's been working since the age of 3, appearing in 70-odd commercials before graduating to such films as "Interview With the Vampire," "Bring It On" and the recently released "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

She admits she can get too candid -- an endearing quality that gets her in trouble sometimes. "I have to write 'I'm sorry' letters," she says with mock dolefulness.

Today she mostly uses her eyes for effect -- opening them wide in a wacky, conspiratorial way when she wants to suggest, without actually saying, that a certain movie isn't all it's cracked up to be. She maintains an air of truth amid complete deniability.

"Spider-Man 2" isn't one of the movies that gets the eye treatment -- in part because she's had a hand in shaping her screen alter ego, Mary Jane Watson.

Dunst anchors "Spider-Man" in a world of murky emotion, playing an object of adoration that somehow transcends that status.

"I'm sick of playing stupid girlfriend roles, and I'm not going to do that anymore," she says, although she pointedly adds that Mary Jane is not just a girlfriend part.

"Mary Jane is a vital role. The love story is the most important part of 'Spider-Man,' and in this movie it even affects his powers and everything he does even more," she explains. At the end of the first film, Mary Jane declares her love to the boy-man Peter

Parker/Spider-Man, who can't reciprocate. The second one picks up on this dilemma.

"Mary Jane has grown up a lot, but Pete has stayed pretty juvenile in his social relationships with Mary Jane. He's not there for her at all because he has this other thing." Magic powers and stuff.

Dunst says making the second film felt very different -- mostly because she felt different. "All the hoopla around (the movie business) I used to buy into a lot more. I used to be excited about hanging out on the set. I like my life better than hanging out on the set. I love what I do, but I just want to go to work and come home to my life and not have it cross over in any way." Having a life outside of the business seems to be a big theme for Dunst.

"What I have a problem with is that all the things in my life were for a lot of years geared toward work," she explains.

She looks back on all those years when her artist mother dragged her to commercial auditions in New York City with more cockeyed wonder than resentment. "I was just playing and having fun. I was making my mom happy. When a kid makes other people happy, you think it's love. Everything is so great. I liked performing for people." Her tone begins to change. "Probably it's not really good that a young kid likes performing for everybody. They just want love and attention somewhere. It's kind of weird."

Her mother shielded her from rejections, but that was harder to do as she got into the double digits. "I auditioned for the 'Secret Garden' movie. When I didn't get that I was sobbing on the floor," she recalls. "When other people want something for you so badly and you're young you want it so badly too. I was crying because you feel like you've let your mom down. It's really messed up, when you think about it."

Dunst still loves her mom, although by the time she was 19 she began picking her own parts, guided mostly by intuition and, as she says, "director, director, director." Up next, she stars in Richard Loncraine's "Wimbledon," a kind of "A Star Is Born" set in the tennis world, and will soon be playing a flight attendant in the upcoming Cameron Crowe romantic comedy "Elizabethtown." To win the latter role, she had to audition for the first time in years. "My nerves were crazy," she says.

I haven't been through this whole thread yet but just couldn't hold myself back! I just got done checking out the OBFiles and saw that they had some new news on this film and had Oklahoma as a possible filming location :w00t: Oh please please please please! let Orlando come here!!!! :faint:

michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody watched Say Anything? It's another romantic comedy by Cameron Crowe and it's a really good film. It looks like Elizabethtown is going to be just as good now that Susan Sarandon is considering a part in it. B)

• 1 month later...