ka-Bloom.org Forum

Screenplay vs. Finished Film

Guest Pseudgirl

Guest Pseudgirl

If you haven't seen the movie yet and you don't want to know what happens, maybe come back to this thread later! :fear:

I've just bought the book of John Michael McDonagh's screenplay, and it's interesting because, as is usual with screenplays, there are a number of scenes that are either not in the film at all, or are different. I just HAD to share this one with you though - this is the screenplay version of the scene with Joe and Mrs Scott, the Euroa bank manager's wife:

SCENE 62 INT. MRS SCOTT'S BEDROOM - THE BANK'S LIVING QUARTERS. DAY.

Mrs Scott, wearing only her undergarments, takes a fancy muslin dress from a wardrobe and steps into it. She glances in the mirror and sees Joe's reflection .

She gasps, pulling the dress up to cover her bosom as she turns around .

Joe is leaning lazily in the doorway, his gun tucked into his belt. He smiles.

MRS SCOTT: How dare you?

JOE: Ah, sure I'm doing no harm.

He enters the room, glancing around. Mrs Scott watches him as he goes over to the dressing table. On it is a wide white bowl of objects . egg-shaped river stones, lumps of quartz, pyrites, wild birds' eggs, and a selection of small skulls.

What are all these? These skulls?

MRS SCOTT: I collect them.

JOE: You collect skulls? A bit morbid, isn't it?

He picks up one of the skulls. There is a hole in it, obviously from a bullet. He puts his finger through it.

Nice bit of ventilation there, the poor little bugger.

She studies him, her demeanour changed.

MRS SCOTT: So you're Joe Byrne.

Joe puts down the skull and gives a mock tug of his forelock.

You know the papers said you had the facial features of a creature born to crime.

JOE: I'm the handsome one of the bunch.

MRS SCOTT: They also said you'd married a Spanish housemaid in Deniliquin with the exotic name of Madela.

JOE: No, we're just good friends.

He comes up beside her. She doesn't back away.

MRS SCOTT: I suppose you have a lot of good friends.

JOE: Sure there's no harm in being friendly.

MRS SCOTT: No, I don't suppose there is.

She drops her dress and lunges at him, kissing him hungrily and reaching a hand inside his trousers.

You're a beast. An absolute beast!

Aaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhhh, why oh why oh why did they not film it that way??!! "... reaching a hand inside his trousers." :faint::heart:

Guest Reconnaissance

Total shock. Jaw drops. Jaw stays dropped. I haven't seen the finished product yet.but exactly how much did they change this scene? I hope they've kept the dialogue at least.

Guest Pseudgirl

Well I suspect that it wasn't even filmed the way it is in the screenplay, so there wouldn't be a scene of it, deleted or otherwise. The filmed version is good too, and I can see why they've changed it, it was just the thought of the reaching-into-the-trousers bit that did me in! :devil:

I sure hope you guys get a better DVD than we did in Australia, there were NO making-of or deleted scene extras on it at all, not even the interviews from the website. :cry:

:huh: Oh MY! Going to bed one the note that, Karyn will most certainly be going by Books a Million tommorow for thE Book! Or if I can find it(doubtful), the screenplay! Ooohhh! SHE kisses him hungrily! :yum: I would get dressed and go see the late movie tonight, if only it were playing, hmmm, lets see.ANYWHERE in my :blink: STATE!! :leg:

This scene is a lot tamer in the movie - no dress coming off and no hands in trousers. It's very sweet though.

The DVD we got here in the UK is terrible, extras-wise. There's literally nothing on it but a short documentary on Ned Kelly and some pictures! I read an interview with Gregor Jordan where he said that he doesn't like the extras on DVDs, so unless the studio drums up some stuff for its US DVD release, I doubt very much that you'll get much more than us.

The DVD is so poor that to be honext if I'd seen the film at the cinema I doubt that I'd have bought it.

Kathryn.

Guest ilelia

This is def. a very hot scene, wonder why they scrapped it? Joe Bryne was really a ladies man wasn't he? He was also very smart. I hope we get dvd extras. It's not playing in my state either, but in the next state. I feel all your pain. :doh: