Sign in to follow this  
Jan

59 posts in this topic

Well, since the flurry of fan photos seems to be dying out... :blink: I decided to go hunting for some details about Ouarzazate, Morocco, where filming has moved.

Adventures in Morocco has some information plus pictures about the area, including the Kasbah. (Uh-oh. Feeling a change in music is called for...)

Atlas Corporation Studios (named for the adjacent Atlas Mountains) has an interesting website - the flash presentation will give you a virtual tour of their facilities. (And they do conduct studio tours on site. :punk: )

The weather in Ouarzazate this time of year, you may ask? Here is the five-day forecast: 80°F. (27°C.), sunny with scattered clouds on Tuesday. Thank goodness they're filming in the Spring - it can reach 113°F. (45°C.) in the summer. (Of course, so can Sacramento!)

Guest Solana

Holy pop-up ads Batman! :lol: Sounds like the city is a bit bland, but the palace looks beautiful though. Hopefully he can find decent food with there not being many restaurants in town. Maybe he'll have someone cooking for him with fresh stuff from the marketplace in the city center?! :meow:

Jan.did you say a change of music might be in order? A little 'Clash' perhaps? I love the Great Satchmo, but we can always put him back on again after a day or two, right?

Adventures in Morocco has some information plus pictures about the area, including the Kasbah.  (Uh-oh.  Feeling a change in music is called for.)

Yes!!!! Yes!! The Clash! Bring.it.on.

"By order of the . . ." lord, I'm losing my memory.

Yes ! The Clash please! Question is, can I type coherently while I'm flinging myself all round the room to the music? Just one of my all time favourites!

I love the sunset picture. Oh, to be there with him sharing that view......

or just being the one to supply him with extra blankets.... when it gets cold at night. :censor:

MM

or just being the one to supply him with extra blankets.. when it gets cold at night. :censor:

I bet we could think of lots of ways to warm him up on a cold night. :censor:

On an entirely different, and unfortunately rather concerning, note, the ever-reliable IMDB (NOT) has this report http://www.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#2

"Hollywood Director in Death Threat Scare

Movie director Ridley Scott is being guarded by hundreds of soldiers on location in Morocco - after receiving death threats from Islamic extremists upset about his new movie. The 'terrorists' are offended by battle scenes in Scott's new movie about the Crusades, Kingdom Of Heaven, particularly those between Christian King Richard The Lionheart and Muslim Saracen soldiers. A crew member reveals, "There is concern, but everyone is getting on with the job in hand." King Mohammed of Morocco has ordered increased security for the Gladiator director and the cast which includes Liam Neeson, Kiera Chaplin and Jeremy Irons."

Given the latest developments in the Middle East I am afraid there may well be a real basis for this report.

BTW - how can anyone write any sort of report about this movie without mentioning the actor playing the main role?

Guest sweetbaby231
On an entirely different, and unfortunately rather concerning, note, the ever-reliable IMDB (NOT) has this report http://www.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#2

Movie director Ridley Scott is being guarded by hundreds of soldiers on location in Morocco - after receiving death threats from Islamic extremists upset about his new movie. The 'terrorists' are offended by battle scenes in Scott's new movie about the Crusades, Kingdom Of Heaven, particularly those between Christian King Richard The Lionheart and Muslim Saracen soldiers. A crew member reveals, "There is concern, but everyone is getting on with the job in hand." King Mohammed of Morocco has ordered increased security for the Gladiator director and the cast which includes Liam Neeson, Kiera Chaplin and Jeremy Irons."

Given the latest developments in the Middle East I am afraid there may well be a real basis for this report.

BTW - how can anyone write any sort of report about this movie without mentioning the actor playing the main role?

They didn't even get the whole cast right.Keira Chaplins not in the movie (Eva Green plays that part). Since this is IMBD, I'm not really buying into this unless if I hear it somewhere else, although it's believable. I hope things turn out fine though :hug:

Edit: Woo Hoo! My 400th post! :)

BigBird Posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2004, 10:53 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly it may well be true. :drool: I just read it on OBM from a story in the San Francisco Chronicle. Jas also has links to The Guardian, The Mirror and La Prensa (Spanish) which are all carrying the same story. It's rather worrying really, because it's all very well guarding them now, but the film still has to be completed and released, and then viewed by the public. If fundamentalists are taking offence now, who's to say they won't still take offence when it's finished.

All world religions preach peace and love and yet throughout history, more people have died in the name of religion than anything else. Why can't we all just live together? I don't understand the human race at all. :hug:

Stay safe everyone working on KOH! :naughty:

CC :)

Guest daydreamer58

This certainly puts an interesting twist on things, doesn’t it. Poor Ridley, directing a movie with threats hanging over his head! :wub: It’s a sad state of things in the world as it exists now. B) I just pray it’s only that – threats. I hope that our sweet Orlando is being looked after properly, that everyone stays safe & sound and that they concentrate on getting the filming over with so they can all GO HOME!

So packing up and moving the filming location elsewhere would be expensive, but so are funerals. I vote we all go over and help them pack. They can finish filming on a sound stage. I hate that this has happened to put a cloud over filming.

I do have a question, though. Islamic extremists don't usually target one person, nor do they give warning. Why do you suppose threats were made at all and why only against the director? That doesn't track with other terrorist type things that have happened lately, does it? This aspect gives me some hope that the threats are not as, well, threatening.

Let us all keep a good thought for the entire cast and crew and if you pray, get busy!

Guest EmilyStrange

I'm not believing this 'threat', to be honest. Ridley Scott has filmed in Morocco before and never had a problem, and terrorists usually go for bigger scale attacks. Several newspapers can give the same news because they get them from the same News Agency, but that doesn't mean it's true.I don't know. I just don't find it reliable, and I hope it's not.

Guys, don't think of me as someone who sees conspiracies everywhere or anything, please, but I honestly think it might be something that originated with a marketing person somewhere in the offices of 20th Century Fox.

If you remember, the first press release seemed to imply that the movie was going to be sympathetic to Muslims, now this rumor is supposed to imply that it ISN'T sympathetic to Muslims. I think it's just to keep the movie in the news, drum up some interest about it and make sure nobody decides whether TO see it or NOT to see it based on how it portrays Muslims, which is obviously a very polarizing political issue.

I don't think there` is any kind of threat to Ridley Scott.

Dairwendan

Guest Clarissa

I'm not buying that story. They didn't even get the cast right which means it's not an official release from anyone involved in the movie.

When something official is released from Fox, the country of Morocco, or Ridley Scott surfaces.then I'll believe it. I think it's just trying to drum up buzz about the movie. The Passion of the Christ had buzz from day one of shooting and look at it now. I think that a lot of studios might try to create conflict for their films to drum up business. It's a dirty tatic.but then again Hollywood is a dirty business.

I do hope the cast and crew are safe though. You never know what could happen when you travel and work in another country.

I agree with Dair and Clarissa: take that report with a grain of salt. Going off the cast list alone (Liam and Kiera?), it doesn't look legit. It's either the studio drumming up buzz or some idiot with too much time on his/her hands trying to raise a ruckus. I'm sure precautions are being taken (heck, even Sid has his own bodyguard!), so don't worry too much over our man.

Kira

After reading how many of you don't feel the death threat story has credibility I feel much better today. I was really tense yesterday. On the one hand I feel like the studio wouldn't put the cast and crew in harm's way, but on the other hand, they don't have hearts, they are just interested in the 'bottom line.'

Let's just all keep a good thought.

...but on the other hand, they don't have hearts, they are just interested in the 'bottom line.'

I don't know that I'd go THAT far, for most movie execs, that is... :w00t:

Orlando needed a couple of security people in Spain (and this was before the terrorist bombings), so it's absolutely no surprise that they had planned security in Morocco. I truly believe that if they were filming in my little (well, 40,000 population!) town, they'd have security. It's a fact of life these days pretty much worldwide.

I would hate to think that Fox had any hand in this 'news', as it's just the kind of inflammatory story that the film does NOT need publicized (it's a predominantly Islamic country, hence Islamic extremists must be in the vicinity with the intent to disrupt or kill members of the cast/crew). The fact that they have most of the cast listing botched *SPOILER* (including Liam Neeson, whose character bit the big one, so his filming was completed in Spain) is a clue. All IMDb ever quotes is WENN, known for peddling tabloid news (actually digesting and regurgitating would be a more appropriate description).

Guest Invisible_bob
So packing up and moving the filming location elsewhere would be expensive, but so are funerals. I vote we all go over and help them pack. They can finish filming on a sound stage. I hate that this has happened to put a cloud over filming.

I would be happy to go and help them pack. :giveup:

invisible_bob

Guest Joey112
I'm not buying that story. They didn't even get the cast right which means it's not an official release from anyone involved in the movie.

I'm not saying it's a created scare, but it sure sounds familiar.

And I've read in several places that the script at least was conciliatory to the 3 major world religions.

That said security is still very important. There are crazies out there.

Guest Fionn
So packing up and moving the filming location elsewhere would be expensive, but so are funerals.  I vote we all go over and help them pack.  They can finish filming on a sound stage.  I hate that this has happened to put a cloud over filming.

I would be happy to go and help them pack. :cry:

invisible_bob

Me too!

Seriously, though, I do think it was very foolish and insensitive and naive of them to be filming over there in this present climate of extremist Islamic terrorism. The threat is world-wide, after all. Since these terrorists hate all things American, having a Hollywood film cast and crew in their country making a movie about the Crusades must seem like absolute blasphemy to them. No wonder Scott has received death threats.( Shocking and totally unacceptable though that is.)

The makers of Troy did the wise and sensible thing and switched from Morrocco to Mexico to ensure the safety of the cast and crew. I, too, feel that the powers that be on this KOH film seem to care more about potential profits than cast and crew safety.

I can't help but wonder what has Orlando gotten himself into with this movie. My main hope is that this film will perform like Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ". That is, despite all the massive hysterical and irrational and nasty controversy that surrounded that film it still managed to blow the box-office sky high and become a hugely popular and financial success.

One thing I think is important to remember about this film...it's not necessarily ABOUT the crusades per say, not like The Passion is about the crucifiction of Christ. The film is about a man;a blacksmith who joins the crusades reluctantly, and gets mixed up in all the politics of it. It's a love story and the story of a man's unlikely rise from commoner to a place where he could be king of Jerusalem. Yes, there are battle scenes. I think Islamic terrorists just need any old excuse they can get to threaten people and wreak havoc, and this just happens to a high enough profile opportunity to draw attention to themselves.

After thinking about it alot, I am rather glad that Sir Ridley has the 'nads to film in Morocco. I think the show of support from the Moroccan government in lending their soldiers for extra protection is great. I for one am sick of the idea that threats from these heartless fanatics can frighten people away. They are in a very isolated area, as Jan was explaining to me last night and it's not as thought they would have easy access to the crew or production staff. I hope they just film it, and get out.... thumbing their collective noses at the terrorists.

Just to add my thoughts to this I did want to point out that Morocco is, generally, a very safe place for Europeans/Americans to visit. My other half has spent time out there and the people are very welcoming and, at no time in the many times he has visited has he felt unsafe.... and that includes in Ouarzazate itself. He has been astounded by the number of times he has been welcomed into people's homes... even those who speak dialects so cannot communicate with Europeans properly. Last time he went (February) he really was wondering if he and his friends would meet any hostility but there was absolutely nothing... even in the bigger cities like Marrakech. There are many Europeans who live out there and would not hesitate to remain there with their families.

Now I'm not naive enough to doubt that there are some more extreme factions active within the country, and the recent Madrid bombing has been linked to Moroccans, but I just wanted to say I hope people don't believe Ridley Scott has made an unsafe decision to go ahead and film there. I, too, am a little sceptical about these reports.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in nowadays. Probably my trips into London once or twice a week are more dangerous than the middle of the desert in Morocco! Perhaps I should go and live out there instead!

Guest QueenJo

I don't know if I should post this here, if it's not the right place please remove it. :lol:

Kingdom set pictures.

New, from Star:

Enjoy! :) He looks stunning! :blush:

Originally posted at orlando's_watch.

Loads Of Love,

Jo

XxxX

Jas sent the article to me - it's of the gossip variety, but there are two lovely pics of Orlando on set in Morocco.

Morocco01.jpg

Morocco02.jpg