Sign in to follow this  
Guest MDragon

Limited Release

Guest MDragon

Since it's closing in on Ned Kelly's release date, I was just wondering if anyone has any details on it's release. Like if anyone knows what cities it's coming to or anything like that. I'm almost positive it will never come here, but one can hope. Especially that it might be successful and open wider at a later date. So if anyone knows anything, please share. I know there's probably others out there confused like me! :wub:

:wub::hug: I'm sorry Ned Kelly's not coming to your town.

BUT it's (he's) coming to mine - Houston, TX!! sorry :paperbag: .

y'all (<---evidence of a Texan) are welcome to come though!

Man, it's wierd that not more Ka-bloomies are as excited about this movie as I am. *sigh* I'll just have to start the countdown by myself . . . .

*skips to front door, flings it wide open, takes a deeeeeeep breath*

TEN!!!!!

*Neighbors poke their heads out to see what kind of lunatic could have infiltrated their neighborhood. Minktress just smiles contentedly and gently shuts door happy that her patio shout was successful and that she is one day closer ( :notworthy: ) to Orlando's scruffy-chinned outlaw movie :shiny:. Happy dance follows. *

Guest Mermaid
:O:hug: I'm sorry Ned Kelly's not coming to your town.

BUT it's (he's) coming to mine - Houston, TX!! sorry :paperbag: .

y'all (<---evidence of a Texan) are welcome to come though!

Man, it's wierd that not more Ka-bloomies are as excited about this movie as I am. *sigh* I'll just have to start the countdown by myself . . . .

*skips to front door, flings it wide open, takes a deeeeeeep breath*

TEN!!!!!

*Neighbors poke their heads out to see what kind of lunatic could have infiltrated their neighborhood. Minktress just smiles contentedly and gently shuts door happy that her patio shout was successful and that she is one day closer ( :notworthy: ) to Orlando's scruffy-chinned outlaw movie :cry:. Happy dance follows. *

How did you find out? I can't find any sites that will tell me whether it's coming to Boston or not (but if it's headed to Houston, I assume it's coming here).

How did you find out? I can't find any sites that will tell me whether it's coming to Boston or not (but if it's headed to Houston, I assume it's coming here).

Yes, PLEASE provide a link on where it's showing! The "official" site just has a button to view the trailer, and another one to get updates. I went ahead and registered to receive updates, I sure hope I'm not flooded with spam!

I am assuming in will play in the Dallas area, but the main question will be where? Art house theaters or at the ubiquitous Cinemarks?

Guest rock_star_24

I want to find out where it is going to be too. I live in the Southern Califronia area. Where can I find this info out?

I'll be in Reno, NV the weekend it opens with my sister. I hope it's playing there.

If not, I'll be on the lookout for it to be playing in Charlotte the next weekend. I hope

that it will be playing in one of those selected cities. Ten more days and then it's

off to the big cities for this country bumpkin. :wink:

Guest Niamh
I am assuming in will play in the Dallas area, but the main question will be where? Art house theaters or at the ubiquitous Cinemarks?

Neither I suspect. MovieImp works for an AMC and they're supposed to be getting Ned Kelly in her area so I checked with local AMC theaters, there's only a few in Dallas, and The Grand, between HWY12 and I35 off of Technology,(I can give you better directions once we know for sure the movie will be playing there) had a poster and played the trailer before Sea Biscuit. I keep checking AMC's site and Focus Features site for news. No luck so far. :shiny:

Wow, I'm so sorry guys. I have no idea where to find out where Ned Kelly's playing. I just remember seeing the trailer before ROTK at an AMC, and they didn't say anything about selected cities so I assumed that meant Houston theatres would get it so why would they need to tell us it'll be in selected cities? Ok, this sounds like a brain fart plus overexcitement=unfounded conclusion moment, but Houston being so big and artsy (Downtown) usually gets those limited release movies like Sylvia Plath or what not at the Angelika, and there just has to be something else I've heard or seen but can't think of now that made me so sure about it. Anyway, (heh I'm not really one to listen to) I'd say if you're in a big city you can bet on Ned Kelly arriving in . . .

*sprints to front door panting with drool streaming out of her mouth (yes, both can happen simultaneously) and yanks door open whilst belting*

NINE days.

Ok, I'm back. Where was I? Oh yes. So just check your fandango.com and movietickets.com, or call your local theatre; that's what I'll be doing. And for you small town folks, I'll be praying for you!!! :flowers: :faint:

Guest guitarchick

I have this feeling it will not be released in small Palm Springs, California. Maybe LA, but not here. Unless it plays at the Camelot which tends to play smaller movies - Monster, Sordid Lives, 21 Grams, etc. Darn, looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD.

Well, damn! I got tired of running into walls on the internet, so I just picked up my phone and called Focus Features (if anyone wants the # is 818-777-7373) and it will NOT be opening in Dallas on the 26th. It is only opening in "big" cities. So how freaking "big" does a city have to be??

Anyhow, if it does well in the "big" city markets, they'll go into a wider release, but no one knows when that will be.

So, all you who are living in the really "big" cities here in the US, please go support this movie so those of us who live in 5+ million populated SMALL towns will have an opportunity to see this film.

Thanks.

Guest elfdream

Is Washington DC or Richmond VA big enough I wonder?

elfdream

According to Tribute Magazine (for Canadians) it is supposed to be in limited release here too (I think :lol: ). I do not know exactly which parts of Canada though.

I really hope it is around here.

Guest QueenJo

Your saying AMC is showing Ned Kelly in the states, there is one in Montreal, I wonder if they'll be showing it. :lol:

Loads Of Love,

Jo

XxxX

I hope it will be playing in Sacramento. I hate having to drive down to San Francisco :wub:

According to Tribute Magazine (for Canadians) it is supposed to be in limited release here too (I think :wub: ). I do not know exactly which parts of Canada though.

I really hope it is around here.

I hope it's release in my city. Is Ottawa considered a big city? :w00t: It's the nation's capital after all!!

I have a sinking feeling that for the time being, here in the US, it'll only be released in NY, LA and Chicago. If they go for the "top 5" you can add Washington/Baltimore and San Francisco.

Dallas/Fort Worth is ranked #9 --- we even beat Houston in the last census. :shiny:

I'm really curious what their criteria for "big" city is, but the guy I was speaking to was a receptionist and he kept putting me on hold to go get the answers to my questions. I really wanted to tell him to just put me through some one in distribution, but I didn't want to be rude. Since I had already identified myself as calling from the Dallas area, I didn't want to burst any bubbles as to how friendly Texans are!

Guest Niamh

Gina, 818? Is that long distance or toll free? Thanks! Oh, and according to 2000 census statistics Houston is #4, Dallas #7. I could make a trip to Houston easy. If it's playing there I'm going to see it. Chicago is a bit much as it would take at least 24 hours to get there, see the movie, and get back where I could do Houston in a working day. Heck, I know several people at my company who live in Houston and fly/commute to Dallas. It's only a 30 minute flight. Niamh crosses her fingers Houston, if not Dallas, will be on the dist list. And why did that AMC theater in Dallas display the poster if they're not playing the movie? That's just odd!

Really limited usually means NY/LA for the first week and then it may expand to about 100 theatres. These are usually the top 100 theatres not the top 100 cities. Distributors go by different ranks than cities when they issue prints out. Think smoke filled gloomy back rooms when you think of distributors deals. It's a strange world.

Question was asked, why do we put up the poster if we aren't getting the movie. If we get it, we will put it up. We have a lot of poster cases to fill and we don't want to use duplicates (I have about 18 outside to fill up for movies we are showing and we don't usually have 18 different movies and then inside I think I have the same amount. I'll have to count). We have no idea until the week of the release (usually Tuesday) if we are getting a print for a certain movie for sure. That is when all bookings are solid and confirmed and times can be entered although Wednesday changes usually come in that drive us bonkers. In special siutations (like Passion and Harry Potter 3, etc.) when we know we are getting the print and so is the rest of the world, we will get approvals to put in times way in advance for one print until we determine how many prints we get to put in more times. You may ask why would the studio send out posters for a limited release movie. who the heck knows. We get wierd stuff all the time we never ever get the movie for.

It's a crap shoot folks. Just have to hang in there and keep checking Fandango and Movietickets.com.

To add more fun in on the top 100 theatres, it's also top 100 theatres this type of film will work well in. If you have an art flick, don't bother with the suburbs is a stuborn idea they won't let go of. The theatres and distributors know the audiences for each demographic area and this is broken down by surveys and who is coming to the theatre. We are labeled against all other AMC's and against all other competition such as how we rate on customer satisfaction, what our per head is (amount of money made at concession averaged against overall attendance), general attendance broken down by student, senior citizen, adult, child. What movies overall have a higher attendance in your area vs. others indicating if your designated audience has a tast for urban, older adults, teenager or even art flicks. The lists are endless. The distributors take these lists and match up theatres for their particular film with the top theatre demographics. These factors are taken into account whenever a movie is not a monster release such as Passion, Troy, Harry Potter, etc. I can tell you right now that at our theatre our audience is older, heavier on the senior citizen side. They like the more adult movies, we tend not to bring in a lot of teenagers. Art flick movies are fairly well received and watched. This is vs. my old theatre which is heavily into the teenager and college crowd that prefers later night shows and more teen oriented and art flicks don't do as well there as at mine.

Nothing is set in stone but it's ever flowing and ever changing. It also makes you pull out your hair if you try and nail it down to specifics. Just cross your fingers and hope is what I have learned. If not, there is always DVD.

Guest Niamh

Thanks for the information MovieImp. It doesn't help that I've been waiting for this movie for over a year and waiting yet another year for the DVD is just frustrating to no end. I think I'll keep pestering people though. Perhaps if enough of us pester enough of people we'll get what we want. :wub:

Gina, 818? Is that long distance or toll free? 

Definitely long distance. It's the area code for the San Fernando Valley of the LA area (FocusFeatures is a Universal-owned company). Which is another reason why I didn't keep asking questions or pressure the guy to put someone else on.

Oh, and according to 2000 census statistics Houston is #4, Dallas #7.  I could make a trip to Houston easy.  If it's playing there I'm going to see it.  Chicago is a bit much as it would take at least 24 hours to get there, see the movie, and get back where I could do Houston in a working day.  Heck, I know several people at my company who live in Houston and fly/commute to Dallas.  It's only a 30 minute flight.  Niamh crosses her fingers Houston, if not Dallas, will be on the dist list.   And why did that AMC theater in Dallas display the poster if they're not playing the movie?  That's just odd!

The census data I was looking at was lumping metro areas together so including the entire metroplex (probably includes all of Denton, Collin, Dallas and Tarrant counties), we are bigger than Houston's metroplex, which includes Galveston and Brazoria. But after reading MovieImp's input on how these things are decided (why the hell not just throw darts on a map for crying out loud!! :wub:) it may not play in Texas at all. Hopefully if it's expanded to top 100, it'll play somewhere in Dallas, maybe the Inwood? I don't think the hubby would go for me popping down to Houston to see a movie!!

I think I'm going to need a support group for Ned Kelly. This is excruciating!!!!!!

Someone let FocusFeatures know the movie would play well in Texas. Sounds like the Kelly gang were a scrappy bunch and we like scrappy. Who cares about accents!?

I'm fairly confident that we will get the film in Sacramento - we have two arthouse theatres (equalling 6 screens), plus two of the Century Theatre complexes have small theatres set aside for smaller films.

Fandango shows the film on their "Coming Soon" list, but it won't list next Friday until tomorrow.

Guest Niamh
Hopefully if it's expanded to top 100, it'll play somewhere in Dallas, maybe the Inwood? I don't think the hubby would go for me popping down to Houston to see a movie!!

The Inwood is owned by Landmark, which, if I remember correctly, is at least partly owned by Mark Cuban, and the Landmark site has nothing about Ned Kelly so I don't think it would play there. I think it'll play at the AMC Grand in Dallas which does play about a third art house movies in it's lineup and they've advertised the movie with posters and trailers. Landmark's site is here. If you click on Films it lists all the films they've currently got in distribution. Typically upcoming films are listed as well. There are two Landmark theaters in Dallas: The Magnolia and the Inwood. Both are in the North Dallas area off of Lemon. The other art house theater is the Angelika off of 75 and Mockingbird. I've checked this site as well with no luck even for their New York venue.

What's a little trip to Houston? :wink: Honestly, if NK plays in Houston and time isn't the issue, we could do a 4 to 6 hour trip depending on where the theater is located, then I might have some suggestions. It's probably not wise to put the cart before the horse though. We'll see just where this film plays.

But after reading MovieImp's input on how these things are decided (why the hell not just throw darts on a map for crying out loud!!  :huh:)

Who says they don't? :naughty:

I have so many stories. Disney IMHO are total :Cloud9: . They can negotiate such as if you don't show this movie (which smells like lilacs in the springtime) in the big theatre and keep it there for x number of weeks (in order to screw over some competition oh say Dreamworks), then you won't get this huge tentpole movie later. They negotiate to even have posters put in certain areas always.

New Line got ticked off at a couple of chains last year and wouldn't let them have some of their movies and gave it to the competitor chains.

If you have say AMC in one location and down the block (within 1 mile I think it is) Landmark you can't get the same movie to show both places. Compeitition get's ugly to get the big movies. Usually it's back an forth like one will get Van Helsing and the other one will get Troy. But it can get pretty cutthroat.

I remember George Lucas had some outragous terms and the theatre chains got together and collectively gave him the finger. Negotiations got nastier after that.

Every film is different. That's why I always picture the Godfather setting.