Guest laconejita

41 posts in this topic

Hearing Orlando speak French?! GAH :faint: ! I hope so.

Me too! I just read through this thread for the first time, and I'm so glad to hear all that clarified.

I'm glad their going to take the "complex" stance in this movie. I was not so much worried that it would be "Christians good, Muslims bad," but that it would be the exact opposite in an attempt to go too far in the other direction.

I'm in love with Balian already. May 6th cannot come too soon. :wub:

Guest laconejita

While I would love (huge understatement) to hear him speak French, I would absolutely adore the production, writers, whoever if they let him speak Old French. I believe that would've been what he spoke (langue d'oc or langue d'oïl, I'm not sure.depends on where he's from).

Here's a text I found that's in Old French from "La Chanson de Roland" (I don't speak any form of French so I'll leave it to someone else to translate what they can, should they so desire):

Carles li reis, nostre emperere magnes,

Set anz tuz pleins ad estet en Espaigne.

Tresqu'en la mer cunquist la tere altaigne,

N'i ad castel ki devant lui remaigne

Mur ne citet n'i est remés a fraindre,

Fors Sarraguce, ki est en une muntaingne.

Li reis Marsilie la tient, ki Deu nen aimet,

Mahumet sert e Apollin recleimet:

Nes poet quarder que mals ne l'i ateignet.

Um, I see something about Spain and.? Oy!

Thanks to http://eee.uci.edu/programs/medieval/ofclips.html for the text.

Guest EmilyStrange

Oh, I remember they taught me that Poem when I was in school. The teacher even made us learn some verses! In Spanish though.

Roland is a famous epic hero for the French. It's like Mio Cid for the Spanish. He was part of Charlesmagne's army, and he had to fight against the Moorish.I am not sure, but I remember they were coming back from battling in Spain when they were ambushed (I guess that's why it appears in the verses you quoted, laconejita). This indeed is one of the old poems that inspired Tolkien's writings. Roland (which is the same as Orlando, by the way :) ) has a great horn called Olifant ! (I'm not sure of the spelling, though), but he wouldn't use it because he wanted to fight the Muslims even when they were clearly outnumbered and almost all his men were being killed. Finally he uses it with such energy and it sounds so loud that he begins to bleed! When other forces got there to help, the Muslims had been defeated, but Roland and his men had all died :(

Great research ladies! I've learned a lot.I had no clue this was a non-fic/fiction type movie. I loved Balian from the get-go, but now that I know he's one motivated, dirty knight of scruffy goodness.never have I wanted a year to go by so quickly. :giveup:

And, uh.French? Speaking? More accents? Oh holy crap. :shower: Bring. It. On. :clap:

I love Orlando in these period movies.and I must say, I'm a sucker for him in these hero roles. I can't wait for him to kick some :censor: . I want yelling! Speech! Actually, I just wanna hear that accent of his at work. :wub:

Thanks again for the info!

(I don't speak any form of French so I'll leave it to someone else to translate what they can, should they so desire.)

Here's scholar Patricia Terry's translation:

The mighty Charles, our emperor and king,

Seven long years has been in Spain;

That lofty land lies conquered to the sea.

No fortress now is standing in his way,

No walls, no towns remain for him to break,

Except for Saragossa, high on its hill,

Ruled by Marsile, who has no love of God;

He serves Apollo, and to Mohammed prays--

But he will come, and soon, to evil days.

Credit: The Song of Roland. Translated by Patricia Terry. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Educational Publishing, 1965.

Guest Bev
I love Orlando in these period movies.and I must say, I'm a sucker for him in these hero roles.  I can't wait for him to kick some  :censor: .  I want yelling!  Speech!  Actually, I just wanna hear that accent of his at work. :wub:

Thanks again for the info!

I so want this movie to hurry up and get here. :( This next year is going to be an eternity. At least Ned Kelly is comming out in a couple of weeks (on DVD).

I think that is what I am looking forward to the most in KOH.hearing him speak.a lot.actual.long.sentences. Shouting orders.getting mad.his voice breaking with emotion, or soft, low and sexy.aaaahhhhh.Oh why can't this movie come out for Christmas???

So.yes Kehoe.I agree with you 100%. :)

Bev

Great research ladies!

I'll say!! :notworthy:

That was a beautiful song/passage. Balian looks to be very complex and a strong personality. We already know he's got looks to kill. :shower::rolleyes: The wait is definitely getting harder.

I think that is what I am looking forward to the most in KOH.hearing him speak.a lot.actual.long.sentences.

That, Bev, and screentime! A whole movie focused on Orlando. Talking, acting, being in the center of the picture. I can't wait. :shiny: I love the period roles, too. I don't know why some critics are down on them. :wink: I'm wondering how much they have changed from the real Balian story, though. I assume they're keeping the essentials, from what we know. I definitely don't mind the added princess. :lol:

Guest laconejita
That, Bev, and screentime! A whole movie focused on Orlando. Talking, acting, being in the center of the picture. I can't wait. :shiny: I love the period roles, too. I don't know why some critics are down on them. :wink: I'm wondering how much they have changed from the real Balian story, though. I assume they're keeping the essentials, from what we know. I definitely don't mind the added princess. :lol:

That's so very true! I always feel a little guilty when I'm watching these great movies he's made and I'm just thinking "Orlando.pop up on screen now!" With this, I can sit back and watch second after second of Orlandoey (LOL) goodness.

Interesting information. I'm looking forward to this one. I hope the speech will be in the movie. :)

Guest paranoidangel
Interesting information. I'm looking forward to this one. I hope the speech will be in the movie. :)

I've heard that it's not. :angry: I was really looking forward to it, too!

Guest waitingforwake

I really hope that Saladin (the villain) will be ultra-bad*ss in this movie. But only because I love it when the baddies are the complete antithesis of the pure, kind, and valiant hero. Which is our Dirty!Man!Knight! :crusader:

P.S. You never know when random Orlando information may come in handy. I was able to impress the VP of my new college by recognizing the name 'Saladin' in his "Welcome to Wake" speech. I told him about KoH, but not that Orlando was in it. I said I was going to see it for its 'historical value'. YEAH RIGHT! Only to examine just what lies under that historical armor of a certain Sir Balian. :whistle: :paperbag:

Guest Smolak

waitingforwake, you are a woman after my own heart! Very funny how you were going to see it for its "historical value." I for one am going to see it for Balian and Balian only!

Wow! Thanks for all the great research,ladies. I've just read through it and realize I'll have to read it a few times to get things straight in my head.

I'm so looking forward to another period piece for Orlando. I'm a sucker for the history and costumes. Just to think about Orlando as a knight.ahhh. Breathe, keep breathing. :ph34r:

Guest BandGeek

I'm also looking forward to seeing Orlando as Balian. :crusader: Especially after seeing the Action: Adventure in Movie Making exibit in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry on Sunday. After going through it once, I went back and just watched the 6 minute behind the scenes KOH clip again. :blush: He looks soooo great as Balian. I am sure he is going to do great, as well as the movie it's self.

:shiny:

BG