Sign in to follow this  
Jupiter

47 posts in this topic

I caught the movie half way through and missed the part with Orlando.

I guess next Friday night I will just have to stay up late and watch it again. :whistle:

Jet

P.S. Jude Law looks amazing in this film, or should I say his :censor: looks amazing in this film. :naughty:

Guest groovychick

My Gosh! I can't believe I took so long to discover this topic!

It is getting dark and carriages are moving slowly because of the crowds. There are many TARTS out already, soliciting. There are also RENTBOYS, male prostitutes, eyeing potential customers.

Through the window of the department store a WINDOW-DRESSER is flirting with a good-looking young RENTBOY as OSCAR and CONSTANCE come out of the main door. Constance is heavily pregnant now and OSCAR is very solicitous. He hands her the parcels he is carrying.

OSCAR

Could I give you these my love, I’ll see if I can find a cab.

He pushes his way through the CROWD. The RENTBOY, who is very well spoken, accosts him.

RENTBOY

Looking for someone?

Oscar us about to ignore him, but the RENTBOY is looking at him so knowingly, so openly, OSCAR can’t, for a moment, move. Then he turns away, horrified by his own temptation.

He flags down a cab as though his life depends on it.

OSCAR

Cab! Cab!!!

Thank you tons Vampyre :hug: Oh my God! It really does give a lot of depth for something only a minute long. See, they always knew Orlando was "good-looking" and "very well spoken", guh.I'm just speechless. Sorry, I just didn't know there was so much more to the little Rentboy, and I've definitely had an Oscar Wilde moment where you just can't move for one.slight.moment.

Ahhh, the Rentboy :wub:

Guest EmilyStrange
P.S. Jude Law looks amazing in this film, or should I say his  looks amazing in this film.  :naughty: 

Off topic.well, almost

hehehe, and he gives one of the best performances of his career so far.

I am totally frustrated in my search for this movie on video, in either VHS or DVD, to rent or buy, in Australia. So now I am thinking about buying it from the UK, because it would be PAL format, same as here.

The big question is, are the extras on the DVD worth getting an 'all regions' DVD player? (Because I am doing film studies as part of a work-related degree, I can claim it as a tax deduction.) Or would I not be missing much if I get it on VHS?

The big question is, are the extras on the DVD worth getting an 'all regions' DVD player?  (Because I am doing film studies as part of a work-related degree, I can claim it as a tax deduction.)  Or would I not be missing much if I get it on VHS?

There's only one extra on the region 2 dvd, a 24-minute documentary called 'Simply Wilde'. It's mostly Stephen Fry and - separately - director Brian Gilbert talking about what made Wilde 'tick', with lots of clips from the film to illustrate their points. Towards the end Gilbert talks a little about casting Stephen Fry and the difficulties they had funding the project at first, but there's nothing about the technical side of the filming.

It's a very interesting addition, but possibly not enough by itself to warrant getting an all-region player. Though if you can claim it as a tax deduction. . .

Hope this is of some help.

Guest Esther
The big question is, are the extras on the DVD worth getting an 'all regions' DVD player? 

This is a bit OT but I can advise you not to take a region free dvd player but just buy the one you want and let the people of the store make it region free for you, it's kind of expensive (in Hollland it's 20 euro) but it is worth it. I did this because I always order dvd's from the US and it's way cheaper there.

Good luck!

Esther

Guest MereBearSquared
FYI for those interested. WILDE is showing this month on Encore's True Channel. Here is the schedule.

Mon Apr 5 10:00P TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Fri Apr 9 11:45P TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Fri Apr 16 12:05A TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Wed Apr 21 11:35P TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Mon Apr 26 12:05A TRUE- Encore's True Channel

It's on Encore? (shakes fist)

Damn no cable!

I am still in looks for it too - one girl said she bought it off E-Bay. Who knows? I think they should release it just for us so we can have our one minute moment! Kind of like 8 minute abs - 1 minute Orlando - used 3 times a week as directed! :shiny:

Guest LadyJamers

Orlando's scene in Wilde is blink and you will miss it, but he does look nice.

As for multi format DVD players -- I got one I thought was multi format and when I got it, I found out it wasn't. :rant: It was a really good DVD player but only lasted a year and a half before it broke. My VCR players have never broken like that thing. :rant::rant:

So, buyer beware and if you find a multi format DVD player which is TRULY multi format, I would like to know.

Thanks for the info. I don't think we can get DVD players reprogrammed here in Australia. I've certainly not heard of anyone getting it done, and with the tech-heads at work I'm sure I would have heard by now.

I know Mr Bloom's part is very small, but it's curiousity really. I am also a great admirer of Stephen Fry. I thought he was marvellous in "Blackadder". Plus I have always enjoyed Oscar Wilde's work and wanted to see this movie when it came out and didn't get around to it. Plus my two older daughters have both told me I ought to see it and have both (separately) told me they would like a copy if I ever come across it (I wonder why? - wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more).

Guest Pseudgirl

BigBird, apparently there is a way of doing it - ask around the tech-heads because someone might know something. As for a truly multi-regional DVD player, I've had one for several years (a Pioneer DV-344) because I buy DVDs from both England and North America fairly regularly. This model will have been superceded by now but I'm sure Pioneer would still be making multi-region players. It may also be much easier to get them in Australia than in North America - I know that's the case with VCRs. All new VCRs here can play both PAL and NTSC formats, but friends in N.A. have told me they cannot get PAL-compatible players there. Maybe it's similar for DVDs - if they are deadly serious about restricting their players to Region 1 it might be nigh on impossible to get a multi-regional player? Oh, and you do need to ask the salesperson - it's often not stated on the box or on the machine itself that it's multi-regional. :wink:

Wilde is a superb film, well worth the effort of getting to see it. :)

If you have an older dvd drive on your computer you may be able to play any region dvds on it. Newer ones have a code set for the region, but you can change it up to 5 times (probably in case you move to another country) before it will lock in the region code. Do a search on the internet about changing dvd region codes and you'll find instructions and alternatives (firmware, software) that will allow you to play different region dvds on your computer.

~squiggles

Okay, so his appearance is exactly 1 minute long, but it was an important moment in the film as Oscar Wilde is obviously captivated by the rentboy’s beauty, and it is the first time in the film that it is suggested that he is more attracted to men then women.

I just saw it today and that is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I saw it! I never really thought it would be so important. And he looks so adorable! Can't believe he was the age I am now, back then! :O

It's a beautiful movie, all the actor were just amazing. Jude Law looked pretty good too, I must say. But I kept thinking "they should have cast Orlando for this role, he's much prettier". :shiny:

Guest EmilyStrange
It's a beautiful movie, all the actor were just amazing. Jude Law looked pretty good too, I must say. But I kept thinking "they should have cast Orlando for this role, he's much prettier".

*cough* Won't comment on this won't comment on this.won't comment on this.won't comment on this.

Orlando is beautiful, astonishingly beautiful, and so is Jude.but The Law was meant to be Bossie!

Not arguing, just.it's Jude man! I had to say it! :lol:

As far as I can determine, "Wilde" has never been released on DVD in Region 4. However, I have noticed that several of my DVDs are marked "Region 2 & 4". Would one of the lovely UK Ka-Bloomies mind checking their copy of "Wilde" to see if it is Region 2 only, or if, by any chance, it's a multi-region.

Otherwise an "all regions" DVD player is going on my list for Santa this Xmas.

Would one of the lovely UK Ka-Bloomies mind checking their copy of "Wilde" to see if it is Region 2 only, or if, by any chance, it's a multi-region.

Otherwise an "all regions" DVD player is going on my list for Santa this Xmas.

I don't own a copy, but all the copies on eBay UK and Amazon UK are Region 2 only. eBay have a VHS copy for 99p if your interested, or Amazon have the Region 2 DVD at 40% off (£5.97) if you're getting a multi-region player.

little_green

I have it on dvd and it definitely says region 2.

I'm sure that a multi-region dvd player would be a very useful Christmas present for lots of reasons, so go for it.

J :rolleyes:

I have both Region 2 and Region 4 DVDs, and they both use the PAL system, so you shouldn't have any problem.

At last, some good news for Australians. "Wilde" will be on SBS on Sunday night at 8.30 - make that 10.35. I didn't hear the announcement properly before.

:yahoo:

What a great movie (well, what I saw of it before I fell asleep). I've got it captured on tape and will finish it this afternoon.

At last I've seen our rent boy in context. He certainly captures the attention with those wonderful cheekbones emphasised by the grey bowler.

What I hadn't realised was what a total man-fest this film is. Jude Law, Ioan Gruffudd, Ian McShane (in the intro at Leadville), Michael Sheen. And did I mention that absolutely beautiful young man playing the rent boy? Did mention he is the epitome of youthful beauty? So sweet, so young, so beautiful. :wub:

What I hadn't realised was what a total man-fest this film is.  Jude Law, Ioan Gruffudd, Ian McShane (in the intro at Leadville), Michael Sheen.  And did I mention that absolutely beautiful young man playing the rent boy?  Did mention he is the epitome of youthful beauty?  So sweet, so young, so beautiful.   :wub:

.and not so innocent. :smoke:

Big Bird, Wilde IS quite the tasty ManBuffet; it's hard to know where to start. So much so that it's understandable that you missed spotting a home-grown Aussie in the first 5 or 6 minutes of the film, Oscar Wilde's arrival in Leadville, Colorado (Spain, that is). Glistening shirtless down in the mine, walking like he'd been on a horse too long, the bloke who pours Oscar a drink from the pitcher. Take another look and you'll find Adam Garcia in his big screen debut as the miner Jones. If memory serves me, his line was "you killed a man?"

For those interested (and not going to PirateCon), LOGO will be showing Wilde on Sunday, July 9 at 2am. :yawn: Okay, maybe you should set your recorders so you can sleep and watch our Rentboy over breakfast. :eat:

Sign in to follow this