Sign in to follow this  
Jupiter

47 posts in this topic

I bought the dvd of Wilde, as I just had to have the complete Orlando collection, and was surprised at how important Orlando’s part was. Okay, so his appearance is exactly 1 minute long, but it was an important moment in the film as Oscar Wilde is obviously captivated by the rentboy’s beauty, and it is the first time in the film that it is suggested that he is more attracted to men then women.

It’s definitely more interesting than screen caps can do justice to. If anyone wants to see it, I have made a clip which I shall send to Jan in case it can go in the clips section.

J :rolleyes:

I haven't even been able to rent this film locally. None of the local video shops have it, and I haven't seen it for sale either. Does anyone know if the DVD is available for Zone 4? I don't really want to buy it (well, yes I do, just too difficult to explain to family why :paperbag: )

The clip is up in the Members Only section. :w00t: Thanks, Jup. :w00t:

(I had forgotten how much higher his voice was then. :) )

Guest Yennay

I have seen it in TV two times. Orlando's so lovely in it! :lol:

Guest Aroreiel

Who cares about lack of screen time. That was the best 1 minute of my life! :tomato:

Guest Mishelly

I remember the first time I rented Wilde it was not fully rewound, so out of sheer curiosity I just played it where it was and found it was the exact place where he has his cameo.coincidence? :w00t:

Michelle

I bought the DVD shortly after discovering Mr Bloom. £17.99 for one minute of Orlando.things I do for that boy :( But, yes, it was a very good one minute.bless DVD's and their 'pause' buttons. :w00t:

A friend recorded me the movie on video a few years ago, as we both were, and still are, huge fans of Jude Law (who is absolutely brilliant in the film). So when my interest in Orlando came up, gladly I only had to walk to my videotape shelf. :drool:

Guest Niamh

This is an excellent movie, with or without Orlando, and well worth the money. Stephen Fry is just a wonderful actor and the presence of so many beautiful men doesn't hurt. :unsure:

Guest Pseudgirl
I haven't even been able to rent this film locally.  None of the local video shops have it, and I haven't seen it for sale either.  Does anyone know if the DVD is available for Zone 4?  I don't really want to buy it (well, yes I do, just too difficult to explain to family  why  :paperbag: )

Have you tried the public library? I've never been able to buy it in Australia, either on video or DVD, so I don't think it's ever had a sell-through or Region 4 DVD release here. If you have a multi-region DVD player there are DVD releases for North America and the UK. Niamh is right, it is a superb movie - just tell the family you've bought it because it's a great film about an important artist's life! :wink:

Who cares about lack of screen time. That was the best 1 minute of my life!  :wave:

:blink: Indeed! And it doesn't hurt that Ioan Gruffudd had about a minute's worth of screen time and James D'Arcy had about 10 seconds as well!! :oops:

It's quite impressive what Fangirls will do/watch for their Objets d'Gush... :unsure:

Guest Bucky
:notworthy: Indeed! And it doesn't hurt that Ioan Gruffudd had about a minute's worth of screen time and James D'Arcy had about 10 seconds as well!! :faint:

And Jude Law. It's a manbar buffet! :shiny:

Have you tried the public library?

Yep - but it's not in the catalogue. It must have been available at some time because my eldest told me I had to see it.

Guest Vampyre

So, I went to my library today, and there I am, sitting on the floor searching for books on acting (Yes, I want to be an actress, but that's another story), when what do I happen to see? Wilde Yes ladies, that's right, a book, that contains the entire script, including Orlando's part, and yes, it has a picture of him too, dressed to kill. It describes the scene set-up, and has his lines, and what his character is probably thinking. I'll type it up if anyone wishes to see it. By the way, I think we need a Rentboy smiley too.

Guest reisling
So, I went to my library today, and there I am, sitting on the floor searching for books on acting (Yes, I want to be an actress, but that's another story), when what do I happen to see? Wilde  Yes ladies, that's right, a book, that contains the entire script, including Orlando's part, and yes, it has a picture of him too, dressed to kill. It describes the scene set-up, and has his lines, and what his character is probably thinking. I'll type it up if anyone wishes to see it. By the way, I think we need a Rentboy smiley too.

Pretty please? Is there a begging smilie? Maybe a combination :rant::faint: ???

Anything you want to take the time to type up, I would love to see. And maybe the publishing info too?

Pretty, pretty please??

reisling,

a Rentboy fan before Legolas ever stepped off the page

Who cares about lack of screen time. That was the best 1 minute of my life! :notworthy:

Amen to that :whistle: . I saw it on tv and it was mind blowing. :tvhappy: :drool:

Guest Vampyre

I'll get it all put up for tomorrow, Australian time that is, it's 1.10am here now, so wait patiently my dear.

Guest reisling
I'll get it all put up for tomorrow, Australian time that is, it's 1.10am here now, so wait patiently my dear.

Oh, squeeee! Rentboy backgound! I can be patient, yes I can!

reisling,

resetting her international clock to Australian time to help with that patience thing :wink:

Guest treasurehunt

I just shop-Ka-Bloomed my way over to Amazon and ordered this for my collection. Have to do my part, you know. :cheers:

Guest Vampyre

Alright, sorry this is late, but I caught a virus and became extremely sick. At the end of the book, Orlando's name is also in the credits, so it was more than just a one-line cameo.

Exterior

West End Department Store

1886. DAY

It is getting dark and carriages are moving slowly because of the crowds. There are many TARTS out already, soliciting. There are also RENTBOYS, male prostitutes, eyeing potential customers.

Through the window of the department store a WINDOW-DRESSER is flirting with a good-looking young RENTBOY as OSCAR and CONSTANCE come out of the main door. Constance is heavily pregnant now and OSCAR is very solicitous. He hands her the parcels he is carrying.

OSCAR

Could I give you these my love, I’ll see if I can find a cab.

He pushes his way through the CROWD. The RENTBOY, who is very well spoken, accosts him.

RENTBOY

Looking for someone?

Oscar us about to ignore him, but the RENTBOY is looking at him so knowingly, so openly, OSCAR can’t, for a moment, move. Then he turns away, horrified by his own temptation.

He flags down a cab as though his life depends on it.

OSCAR

Cab! Cab!!!

Guest Mishelly
OSCAR

Cab! Cab!!!

:lmao:

Now why anyone would want to run away from from this:

wilde.jpg

I'll never know!

Michelle

Guest reisling
Alright, sorry this is late, but I caught a virus and became extremely sick. At the end of the book, Orlando's name is also in the credits, so it was more than just a one-line cameo.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :wave:

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, and appreciate you typing this up all the more. Dragging yourself out of bed for Rentboy.well, who wouldn't?

So, originally the scene was bit longer, and Rentboy started off flirting with a Window Dresser. Hmmmm. Window Dresser was a higher position than clerk, so chances are, it was a man. :w00t:

One more time, thank you for posting this. I hope your virus is just a bad memory now.

reisling,

a very happy Rentboy fan

Even when I was growing up in the '50s and '60s window-dressers were always assumed to be homosexual. It was one of the few jobs were openly effeminate men were accepted.

Guest Vampyre

I'm glad that you all enjoyed it. I'm doing much better now, thanks for asking.

:wub:

FYI for those interested. WILDE is showing this month on Encore's True Channel. Here is the schedule.

Mon Apr 5 10:00P TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Fri Apr 9 11:45P TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Fri Apr 16 12:05A TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Wed Apr 21 11:35P TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Mon Apr 26 12:05A TRUE- Encore's True Channel

Sign in to follow this