Guest Jeanne

Orlando's American accent.

Guest Elf Lady

I must admit that I have not watched "Black Hawk Down" either. It is simply not my cup of tea. I'm not adverse to the war movie genre, but I don't like movies that are extremely graphic. This is the same reason why I have never watched "Saving Private Ryan". I know it's supposed to be an excellent film, but I cannot bring myself to watch such realistic carnage.

Having said that, I have seen the BHD screencaps and agree with Ele, Orlando does look cute. :naughty:

I think that's more my problem as well, EL. Some of the war movies I've seen (Saving Private Ryan was one of them) have been quite graphic (okay, slight understatement there where SPR is concerned), so I suppose it's kind of turned me off the genre in general.

Sez

Guest Elements

BHD is graphic, but not in the same league as SPR. I don't really like the gore either, but like I said, it really doesn't kick in until after Orlando has left the film. And even when it does, it is not nearly as bad as SPR or some scenes in 'We were soldiers'. If you like I'll let you know exactly when to stop it to get maximum Orlando, minimum gore :wink:

Luckily the behind the scenes stuff has no gore, just lovely Orlando. If you have very keen eyes (or better, frame advance and zoom on the DVD) you can see a (possibly) be-crutched Orlando. awww bless! :naughty:

I saw BHD in the theatre, and it was difficult to watch simply because one knew it was a true story. The friend who went with me was a mess at the end - she works in the benefits office at Travis AFB and sees these guys coming in and out every day to check on their health insurance, and so watching the young guys die really got to her. It's an extremely well-done - and realistic - depiction of what happened that day.

But Orlando's exit from the film happens before any of the 'tough stuff' starts. I don't know if the video stores rent the new 3-disc "special edition" set, but if they do, that's the one to get. As others have said, the behind-the-scenes extras are terrific and interesting.

BTW, I did make caps of the extras for OBM - you can look here; click on the thumbprints and see the full-size versions. :naughty:

BHDExCC32.jpg

Guest Elements

I know what you mean about it being hard to watch, particularly because it is true Jan. My brother is in the army so it is often hard to watch things like that. A lot of the guys are younger than he is now, and he still seems so young. And I just know what Dee would say to this. :naughty: It's amazing how just knowing that it is a true story can make it hurt so much more. Films like this always leave me kind of numb, like I no longer know what to say.

Guest Jeanne

I haven't seen BHD either and probably won't. I was afraid that they would depict my lovely one in agony, broken back, battered and bloody and I don't want to see that.

I saw SPR once and that was enough for a lifetime.

Guest Elements

Actually Jeanne I don't think it is much of a spoiler to say that you don't see Orlando in agony. After the fall he is unconscious, and the deleted scenes in the hospital show him a little dazed, but not obviously in pain. He doesn't even get all that bloody.

Guest CareyLeah

I must have these deleted scenes!! Is the special edition version finally available here in the US? I know the UK got it first. I adore BHD and have seen it upwards of 10 times. War/gore has never much bothered me - I mean, it's a very upsetting movie of course, but so well done that I watch it over and over. Anyway, I had no idea there were "lost" Orlando scenes.

CareyLeah, it looks like the special edition of BHD is available in the U.S. now (I found it on Columbia House's DVD site). I've only seen the film once, and it was difficult to watch, but if the extras are really that good (and Orlando-rich), then I'll have to buy it. What say you, those who have the extras?

Guest Elements

Buy it buy it buy it! Seriuosly, even if you never watch the film the extras are so good - and there is a lot of Orlando in ultra cute mode - that it is worth it for those alone.

I purchased the 3-disc set (it came out a few months ago) and must say, as an Orlando fan, and a history buff, it is well worth it. I don't know that I'll ever be in a good enough place to watch the film again, but between the behind-the-scenes extras and documentaries included ("The Real Story of BHD" from History Channel, as well as the PBS Frontline show) are terrific.

It's a true collector's item and so well put-together that it is worth it even if you don't watch the film. However, you may decide after seeing the interviews with the guys who really went through it that you want to watch it.

Ridley Scott made an outstanding and fitting tribute to the men who died in Mogadishu.

EDIT: I wanted to add great places to find discount prices on DVDs - here's the 411 on BHD at their sites.

Deep Discount DVD has it for $29.86.

Half.com has it listed as low as $23.40. It is a subsidiary of eBay, so you're dealing with individual sellers - but I have had nothing but great luck there in the past.

Guest Serein

Ack!! I bought the 3-disc set weeks ago and still haven't had time to watch it. Are there lots of Orlando bits? Must find time to watch it when kiddies aren't around.

Hubbie and I had a really hard time watching because it felt so frustrating. I can't imagine what the soldiers went through.

Okay, you convinced me! I just ordered BHD from Columbia House. It's on sale for $19.95 (yes, I made sure it was the 3-disc version) and if you buy 3 or more DVDs, it's free shipping, so I finally broke down and bought A Knight's Tale (slurpy Heath and Paul goodness!) and The Mummy Returns (I'm so addicted to the Mummy films, it's not even funny). Oooh, next week should bring loads of yummy treats to my mailbox! :censor:

Guest CareyLeah

Ooh. Thanks for the info. Shopping trip!!

Guest DarkYetLovely

I haven't seen BHD and I don't really plan too.I have enough of Ext. LOTR and POTC to last me a lifetime. I don't really like war films anyways :duel:

Guest elfdream

I am one of those strange women who like war films and I can't really say I 'enjoyed' BHD but I do watch it again from time to time.

For a while I lurked on a message board where some of the 'real' rangers from the real story posted. They were funny, especially when one of them did a talk show appearance and they would kid each other, guy like, about how ugly he was. They understood how the movie couldn't be 100% true to life and they had to tweak the story a bit to make a good move but for the most part they gave it a stamp of approval.

I often wondered how the real Todd Blackburn feels about the actor portraying him going on to mega stardom? You know the old jokes "If they make a story of my life.I want Sharon Stone or Mel Gibson or whatever beautiful person to play me? Can you imagine telling people Orlando Bloom played you in a movie? (Sandra Bullock can play me btw.)

The accents in that movie were ok but I see the tendency for Brits to adopt an American southerm accent but that's fine as long as the character isn't supposed to be from New Enngland or New York.someone told me it was easier for them. Once in a while a vowel slipped out but nothing glaring. The best accent was Eric Bana but he's an Aussie. I liked the way Orlando always said Blackburn's name with an American accent. Kind of a little show of respect.

elfdream

Guest Zebedee

I have a picture of the real Todd Blackburn while he was still in the Rangers. He's not a bad looking lad by any means, but I think you are right about being pleased with who was chosen to portray him.

Guest Choccie_Buttons

I have a question: Should I get the 2 or 3 disc version of BHD? Is paying that little bit more worth it.

hugs,

CB

I was in a war movie 'mood' (meaning I was in a good enough place to watch it!) on Sunday, so I watched the first part of BHD again.

I paid closer attention to the American accent this time. His first few lines (now, I don't know if these were filmed first or what), when he was giving his vital stats to Ewan McGregor's character, were not quite spot on. The problem? He didn't harden his "R" enough. That's one of the defining characteristics of the American vs. British accent: The Rs. That's probably why the American Southern variety is easier for Brits to emulate, as they have a softer R than other areas of the country. The other soft R can be found in New England. It has a lot to do with the heritage of the people who originally settled the area, as well as how isolated they have been from out-of-the-area influences.

All that said, he did a quite respectable Southern accent for the rest of his lines. :smoke:

CB - I think your question is best answered by someone in the UK, as I think our versions may be a bit different. The one I purchased was the 3-disc US version, which has all those 'extras' we've talked about. I would imagine the more disc space, the more good stuff lies within. :wink:

Guest Choccie_Buttons

It says on website that the 3 disc version includes the following, so Jan, does any of that sound familiar?

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

Disc One Original widescreen presentation, audio commentary from Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer, audio commentary from author Mark Bowden and screenwriter ken Nolan, audio commentary from 1993 special forces team veterans, talent profiles, picture disc

Disc Two eight never-before-seen deleted scenes with optional director commentary as well as seven featurettes - "Image and Design" - This feature gives the viewer a total movie-making experience, exploring the creation of the movie including Jerry Bruckheimer's on-set photography, Ridleygrams, storyboard to final film comparisons and extensive photo galleries. "The Essence of Combat" comprises six behind-the-scenes features including an exclusive insight into the physical preparation by the actors for their roles in actor's bootcamp as well as an in-depth look at the film's visual effects and music.

Disc Three "Ambush in Mogadishu", a brilliant 60-minute documentary on the making of the movie with cast and crew interviews as well as "The True Story of Black Hawk Down", a 92-minute History Channel documentary on the events that inspired the movie. Three Q&A sessions with BAFTA (featuring Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer and the cast), Editor's Guild (with editor Petro Scalia) and American Cinematheque (with Ridley Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer) allow you to delve into the minds of both the cast and crew on the making of the movie, described by Rolling Stone magazine as "one of the best movies of the year." Selected scenes from a different perspective with "Target Building Insertion", a multi-angle deconstruction with optional commentary and enjoy one of the songs from the soundtrack with a music video performed by Lisa Gerrard and Denez Prigent. Poster explorations photo gallery, movie soundtrack TV commercial, original movie trailer, picture disc.

hugs,

CB

Guest Elements

I heavn't seen a 3 disc edition in the UK CB. The 2 disc with all the extra features was released first in the UK (we got all the good stuff first :smoke:) The American 3-disc edition - if you can watch that - has a couple of documentaries about the actual event, rather than the making of the film. Therefore, I would go for the normal 2-disc version. I saw it for £9.99 in Smiths today, so it's pretty reasonable.

Guest elfdream

I am so glad I got this.( the 3 DVD version) Some more Orlando and it gives me something to play with while I wait for TTT.

I had wondered why so many Brits when they tried to do an American accent sounded like Texans.. :fear: The ' r' thing makes perfect sense. Todd Blackburn was from Florida wasn't he? What part I wonder? In Northern Florida where I once lived (near Pensacola) the people did have southern accents in common with the people of southern Louisiana and Mississippi.I don't know about the rest of the state.

None of the accents were perfect but none of them were 'jarring either'. They really didn't detract from my viewing of the film all that much.

elfdream

Guest Choccie_Buttons

Thank you Jan, Elements and elfdream for your input :fear: but I finally made my decision and ordered the dvd. :fear:

hugs,

CB

BTW - I think I'm going to move this over to the Other Projects Forum, as it's been nearly all about BHD. Someone may want to find it someday. :wink:

Guest Kittykat
In Northern Florida where I once lived (near Pensacola) the people did have southern accents in common with the people of southern Louisiana and Mississippi.I don't know about the rest of the state.

Hey elfdream!

At the risk of sounding like a cyberstalker, can I ask where you lived? I'm only 20 minutes away from Pensacola. Just my overwhelming curiosity rearing it's ugly head again. :wink: