Guest Jeanne

84 posts in this topic

I watched 'Black Hawk Down' last night and personally, I feel that even though Orlando did a good job with the American accent, it somehow just didn't seem to flow naturally.

Well, apart from the "Let's kick some ass" line - he got that one perfect! B)

Guest Smolak

I give him credit for trying. I mess around all the time trying to fake a British accent and it jus sounds horrible! I do agree that he probably just didn't worry in the alt. ending because it didn't actually go in the movie. I liked the movie itself as a whole though.

I remember Orlando saying something about accents in the commentary for FOTR (at least I think that it was FOTR). He was complimenting Elijah for pulling off the accent so well. He made the comment that having to act with an accent can really "block you". American accents can be very difficult for Brits. Our hard 'R's, go against everything that they have been taught. If Drew has a Southern accent, even one softened by living in the NW, it would make it easier. I'm sure that he will practice quite a bit for E-town, and he will be surrounded by Americans, if he needs any help. There will be plenty of Americn women on set, maybe even some Ka-Bloomie extras, if he needs any extra help.after hours. :naughty:

Well, even though we are not sure about the American accent, one thing I can definitely say that he's got perfect is the 'UK, West Country, Pirate' accent.

I watched a download of the Graham Norton Advertisment clip today where he says "Ooohhh Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Good Lord - he does that better than me and I'm a local! :lol:

I remember Orlando saying something about accents in the commentary for FOTR (at least I think that it was FOTR).  He was complimenting Elijah for pulling off the accent so well.  He made the comment that having to act with an accent can really "block you".

I watched FOTR (Extended Edition) last night and the quote from Orlando was:

"I know as an actor to do an accent is not easy. It's just not an easy thing to do. It can really block you."

I watched 'Black Hawk Down' last night and personally, I feel that even though Orlando did a good job with the American accent, it somehow just didn't seem to flow naturally.

Well, apart from the "Let's kick some ass" line - he got that one perfect! B)

Now you really have my curiosity piqued. I'm going to have to watch this movie, if only just to see and hear this for myself. My dad's probably going to wonder what on earth happened to his 'Black Hawk Down' tape. :devil: I'll be a good girl, and return it afterward though, I'm rapidly turning into DVD girl anyway, thanks to my hairdresser Evie. :lol:

TJ

I'm going way-off topic here now, but it fits the conversation!

Last night I was watching the Extended Edition of FOTR with the actors commentary. In the scene where they are loading up the boats in readiness to leave Lothlorien, Legolas does what Orlando calls 'His Lembas commercial!"

It's so funny. Orlando voices over Legolas' voice with his own in an American accent saying "Lembas - one small bite is enough to fill the body of a full grown man!" :lmao:

Now that American accent was brilliant!

I did get to see BHD, this past weekend. Given current events, the movie shook me up considerably. :cry:

Anywho, although Orlando's American accent wasn't flawless, it definitely was passable. I also very much agree with Laurie, that he absolutely nailed the "Let's kick some ass" line. Did anyone else get distracted by the sweat beads? :paperbag:

TJ

We rented the film this past weekend and I confess, I couldn't watch it. Once Orlando was gone, it was just too disturbing and violent for me so I gave up on it. I can't watch most war films. I almost walked out of Saving Private Ryan in the first battle scene even though I'd paid the equivalent of 18 U.S. dollars to see it (movies are expensive in Japan!)

I'll be honest, I am American and I didn't think Orlando's accent was done well. It was a matter of intonation, rather than pronunciation.especially that line "I've been waiting for this my whole life"., it just didn't work. So slap me, I'm an English teacher and I am very sensitive about these things.

I still love him though. :wub:

Some actors are great at accents (Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman come to mind), others like Robert Redford and Richard Chamberlain don't even try. They just use their normal voices in every role they play. I still respect them as actors. Maybe it just isn't Orlando's strong point.I don't mind though.he's got plenty more to offer.