Guest Jeanne

84 posts in this topic

Guest elfdream

I lived in Milton, next door in Santa Rosa county. It was a long time ago.my oldest son was born there. Nice place except for the fire ants!

elfdream

Guest SinLooWho

I thought the southern was adorable from him, although I think he dropped it abit in the scene when Ewan tells him he looks 12 (which he does :wink: ). Anyway, I don't thin that they released a 2 disc set in the US. I got the threee disc set and I loved the documentaries and interviews with the actual rangers. Plus I wrote an e-mail and sent it to a Ranger site, to the ranger company that had been over there and one of them replied. I still have one of his e-mails, but deleted the other **grumbles to self about idiocy** Anyway, it was really cool to put a face and voice with the person I corresponded with. And by the way he said that Todd Blackburn does high line work now. Guess that fall didn't give him a fear of heights :notworthy:

I lived in the south for a bit as well and I can see where that would be easier than other American accents. And on a side note.I love Jason Issacs!

Guest elfdream

I heard he was working with a sherrif's department? Orlando said in an interview he was a Police Officer now..(same thing.different jurisdictions) :notworthy:

However it is perfectly possible he could have changed jobs! :censor:

In my earlier post I mentioned about lurking on the Blackhawk Down Ranger board. I felt like I knew them. Casey's brother-in-law posted there. He told about going to see the movie with his sister and how she sat and cried when she saw the scene where her first husband was killed and he wanted everyone to know she had married again to a great guy and was happy. It was great the way they looked out for each other.

They also mentioned that they knew that women would go see the movie just because Josh Harnett or Ewan McGregor was in it (Orlando wasn't that big at the time.except to people like us) but they didn't care. They wanted people to know their story. That was the first place where I saw the pic of Orlando on the ground with Josh crouching by him.it was a gripping shot.Incidently they had a link to the "Bloomin Marvelous' website. Whatever happened to that.anyone know?

They got overun with people who wanted to make political points and anti-war posts (and they didn't mind talking to these people as long as they were reasonable but you know how it goes) They moved the board and I haven't been able to find them again.

Made me appreciate the movie all the more.

elfdream

Guest SinLooWho

I don't know elfdream, maybe I'll check and see if it is in the e-mail I did keep.lol! :bash:

Anyway, I would love to know where that board is if you ever find it. Incidents like those are the things that keep me out of politics because it just infuriates me! :notworthy: I don't guess I'll go into that here, but if you ever want to chat e-mail me.

Guest elfdream

I have been looking and have found other Ranger boards but I haven't found one with that particular group of people. I could kick myself for not registering. They probably sent e-mails to all their members to tell them where they had moved and because of that I never found out. They would refer to their move to that 'other place' from time to time and I thought I would have plenty of time to sign up.they moved before I got a chance to.

A weird thing happened. We were watching BlackHawk Down last night and right in the middle of the movie I got a call from the nurse who is supposed to do home visits for my partially invalid mom. Her last name is Blackburn! :censor:

elfdream

Guest novasgal2000

The accent was.I don't know :naughty: . I got wind of BHD being on TV yesterday, but I wasn't able to catch it 'til 2 a.m. I remembered all the talk of how many Ka-Bloomers didn't see the movie because of the blood/gore factor. That has never bothered me in any of the movies I've seen, and I've seen some bloody ones (not to mention what a bloodthirsty chick I am, being a pro-wrestling, boxing, martial arts fan :O). But I've never seen a movie about a war that was so recent, and this movie just got to me. I made it about an hour in, and then had to stop 'cause I felt ill.

As far as Orlando's accent.um.well, he's a doll in the movie! 18 year old American ready to "kick some ass." How cute was that? But I don't know what to think of the accent 'cause I could swear that I detected the Brit in him the whole time. Problem is, had I seen this movie right after my first viewing of FOTR, when I know I wouldn't have recognized Orlando without the long, blonde hair.I'm not sure I would've noticed, know what I mean? Like, was the accent barely covering the Brit because it wasn't strong enough OR just because I was listening for it? :lol: Not sure which it is. It was a noble effort, though, and cuter than heck :unsure:

Also wanna say that the actor who was "the bad guy" in Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" was in the movie, did a stellar Southern accent, and I didn't blink once (didn't even know it was him 'til well into the movie; amazing how no hair makes a man unrecognizable). But Orlando did just fine. He had me :censor: uncontrollably 'cause he looked so fresh and young!

Sonia

Guest Serein

I had seen BHD before knowing who in the heck Orlando was. I remember the scene with Ewan in the office very well because I thought Ewan did a terrible job with his accent. I adore Ewan and love his work but the accent he did in BHD was pretty bad. Orlando, on the other hand, it never occurred to me that he was NOT American. I thought his accent was perfectly fine. I just remembered him because he DID look about 12 and I was getting nauseated thinking about the U.S. government sending kids into a war zone.

Guest elfdream

I thought Ewan's accent was ok. :naughty: The only thing that stood out to me when Orlando spoke was the word 'four'. I don't know what he said but I was going "FORE.think "FORE!" say the 'r'! But his little 'Nice beach.how's the water" and other lines sounded fine to me.

Other than that it was ok. As an American I would say the best accent was Eric Bana's.

My kids got a a laugh out of the special features when it would show the actor doing his character and then it would switch to the interview with the actor using his native Brit or Aussie accent. It was especially funny when they were doing southern accents. Now Jason Issacs' character is supposed to be from the American south but I don't know about the other soldiers.I suppose I could look them up.

elfdream

Also wanna say that the actor who was "the bad guy" in Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" was in the movie, did a stellar Southern accent, and I didn't blink once (didn't even know it was him 'til well into the movie; amazing how no hair makes a man unrecognizable).

Jason Isaacs. Completely :naughty: in any incarnation.

Guest caseymochridh

Since I saw BHD because Orlando was in it, I was listening for the accent.It was pretty good, but he did sound rather Irish at times.. :angry:

Casey

Guest Bucky
Also wanna say that the actor who was "the bad guy" in Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" was in the movie, did a stellar Southern accent, and I didn't blink once.

I'm confused. When did Jason Isaacs have a southern accent in The Patriot? I don't remember that! May have to pop that baby in and take a peak (it's been a while since I've seen it). :wink:

Guest elfdream

Now this is crazy. I told you all about that visiting nurse who comes to see my mom named Blackburn.I was looking up the bus route for my youngest son to take to school.and the bus driver's name is.Blackburn! :angry:

Too weird.

elfdream

Also wanna say that the actor who was "the bad guy" in Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" was in the movie, did a stellar Southern accent, and I didn't blink once.

I'm confused. When did Jason Isaacs have a southern accent in The Patriot? I don't remember that! May have to pop that baby in and take a peek (it's been a while since I've seen it). :wink:

There goes Bucky again, one too many Smirnoff Blacks before coming in to play with us...She's saying she recognized him as the same actor.

That's OK, babe. We're very tolerant of ALL kinds of folks here... :angry:

Guest Bucky
There goes Bucky again, one too many Smirnoff Blacks before coming in to play with us.She's saying she recognized him as the same actor.

That's OK, babe. We're very tolerant of ALL kinds of folks here. :lol:

:angry: This is what I get for being on line and running back and forth to the kitchen to bake a double batch of peanut butter cookies! :wub: :paperbag:

I skimmed right over that part. Thanks for clarifying Jan. And yes, thanks for reminding me. I think I will grab a SI Raspberry Twist outta the 'fridge.

Guest ronniefairy

I've been follwing this topic with interest, seeing as it won't be too long (Ok, about 30 weeks) until I start to do accents and dialects myself. I'm currently doing a speech production subject where we are attempting to do a 'standard Australian' dialect and it's not easy (especially since I have a bit of a hybrid Aussie/English accent). From my own experimentation I've found that a southern accent seems much easier than any other American accent. And from discusssing dialect and accents with some of the instuctors it seems that it depends what type of base you are coming from as to how easy or difficult a specific accent is.

I'm not sure what type of dialect training was given for BHD, but learning a dialect can be rather difficult. It also depends on what school of speech training they are using as well. The training that I am doing is based on the system devised by Lessac. What we typically do is concentrate on the breath, sounds and the shapes (created by the mouth, tounge etc) used in creating a sound and thus a whole word. You begin to learn a whole differnet way of speaking, which at times can feel and sound odd, especially if it is very different to how you would normally talk. What I'd love to do is look much more closley at the whole accent/dialect once I've done my own accent and dialect training.

Guest Cl@re

I have seen BHD only once & can't seem to recall my opinion on his accent. So from that I'm guessing it can't have been all bad or I'd have remembered :throb:

I do think though people who are gifted with accents are Colin Farrell, Gwyneth Paltrow & Johnny Depp!

Guest rock_star_24

I loved his accent in Black Hawk Down. It was sexy. :w00t: I thought he did a good job. I want to see him in more movies with that accent.

Guest hulagurl502
I still haven't watched BHD (though I have a copy of it  :lol: )

:blink: YOU! Haven't. Seen. It.?!?!! :w00t::fear:

*shoves you on the couch* *puts DVD in*

There. :)

:paperbag: I've never seen it. :wub:

Guest LuLuBelle

Oooohh.. All of you are crazy! It's fun to watch Black Hawk Down because he doesn't have a main character role, so you wait patiently for all the little glimpses and are surprised by each one! And his short hair cut emphasizes his gorgeous chiseled jaw bone.

:blink:

Linds

Guest Pseudgirl

I haven't seen it yet either, and I'm a Ewan and Ioan fan as well. :paperbag: I'm just not brave enough! :shiny:

Guest Bishwop

I love this movie, and have watched it countless of hundreds of times. I find that his aceent is good in the movie. But has anyone seen the deleted scene of him talking to Eversmann (Josh Hartnett)? It looks cute as hell, but his accent is appalling! I can't stand to listen to it, and watch that scene on mute most of the time. And, I'm really confused about the 'How's the water?' line, how can that possibly be Blackburn? He hadn't even arrived at the base when we see that scene! If someone can help me understand this, please let me! Thanks.

And, I absolutly love the 'I'm gonna kick some ass' line!

Guest groovychick

I'm very proud of this movie, not 'cause I'm involved in it in any way what so ever mind you, it was just my first 15 (rating system in the UK, you can't get in unless you're 15) and Ridley Scott movie I'd seen at the cinema. So it's very memorable for me.

I went to watch it the opening weekend, and I didn't know Orlando very much, although I did know he was British, his accent didn't stand out to me that much. I got it out DVD, it still didn't stand out that much. Watched it a year after buying it and I was a little like: "He needs a bit of improvement in that accent" I think it's fine, but not brillliant.

And Bishop:

But has anyone seen the deleted scene of him talking to Eversmann (Josh Hartnett)? 
Yes! I have watched that scene and I cannot stand it! I'm sorry :tomato: but Orlando's accent was really bad in that scene, I too watch that scene on mute :paperbag: It's kinda funny watching back at that actually, as I tried everything not to hear Orlando's accent, I even listened too Ridley Scott's commentary and he was going on about how much he DID NOT want Blackburn again in the end scene. I just find it ironic now that Orlando's his leading man in KOh. :shiny:

And oh yes, I do love it when he says: 'I'm gonna kick some ass' Now that was spot on.

Of course in my opinion as always, not just the accent; he was brilliant in Black Hawk Down !

Don't get me wrong I know he is talented, but as I said before he depends -eventually- on the directors more than a bit necessary. I am pointing it out again, the director was Riddley Scott !

Aw, I don't want to expect so much things from Kingdom of Heaven. Why am I like this ? I really hope, he will make good in his first leading part in a big buster, like this one. Come on, nail them ! :hug:

And Bishop:
But has anyone seen the deleted scene of him talking to Eversmann (Josh Hartnett)? 
Yes! I have watched that scene and I cannot stand it! I'm sorry :tomato: but Orlando's accent was really bad in that scene.

I have only recently seen the deleted scenes from BHD. I have come to the conclusion, that since Orlando's accent was just fine for the rest of his lines in the film, he just wasn't trying very hard in this scene. I think that due to background noise, they always meant to re-dub this part (to "loop" it), so Orlando wasn't worried about his accent, and just acted the part. Since the scene never made it past the cutting room, they never went back and dubbed it.

Hence, the "Bri-ish" Army Ranger. :rolleyes:

Guest Bishwop

Ohhh, that's got to be it, Cayenne. I didn't even think of that, I just could not understand why his accent was sooo bad in that one seen, and pretty good in most others Now I get it, the whole background noise/looping thing, it makes perfect sense. Thank you, I was beginning to think it was Orlando's fault, so now I know it wasn't.