Guest Jeanne

84 posts in this topic

Guest Jeanne   
Guest Jeanne

Just wondering if he's ever taken on an American accent for a role. I haven't seen Blackhawk Down so don't know if he has any dialogue in it.

I think accents must be amazingly difficult to do well. I once saw Colin Farrell (sorry Jan! :naughty: ) give an interview using an American accent and I thought it was amazing.

I still haven't watched BHD (though I have a copy of it :naughty: ), but from the little snippets I've seen, Orlando adopted a southern (?) accent for the role. I think. :blush:

Opinions on whether he pulled it off vary. some say he was fantastic, others were a bit. less enthusiastic. :wink:

Sez

Guest Elements   
Guest Elements

He does an American accent in BHD - not perfectly but it is pretty good. I always find it amusing that when Brits do an American accent we tend to go all redneck and southern with it. And I swear at one point he sounds Irish! Still love him though :naughty:

Geri   

He does have a bit of dialogue in BHD...I think he did fine, but I cannot imagine him taking on a role with a lot of dialogue without his British lilt. It just doesn't seem natural for him, though knowing him he'd probably love the challenge. I'm sure he could do it with intense coaching.. I'd love to hear him portray a New Yorker! :lmao:

Guest Elements   
Guest Elements
I'd love to hear him portray a New Yorker! :lmao:

No no no. A Frenchman :naughty: or even better, Italian :blush: :devil: I would absolutely die to hear Orlando wrap his tongue around a few trilled r's La vostra bellezza lucida più luminoso della stella più luminosa *gah* THUD

No no no. A Frenchman :naughty: or even better, Italian :blush: :devil: I would absolutely die to hear Orlando wrap his tongue around a few trilled r's La vostra bellezza lucida più luminoso della stella più luminosa *gah* THUD

:faint: Oh god. Give him ANY foreign language to speak in and I would be one big Sez-puddle on the floor.

GUH.

Sez

Guest CareyLeah   
Guest CareyLeah

I'm one of those that's a bit less enthusiastic about his attempted accent in BHD. :blush: He tried, and I hope he continues to try. Some actors it seems are quite gifted at voice/accent work - Colin Farrell is definitely one, and Christian Bale is probably the best in the biz (IMHO). Others need to work harder at it, and I have no doubt that Orlando will be able to get it right with the proper training. :devil:

In terms of foreign languages - I about die every time I hear him speak Elvish. :naughty: Hoping for more in RotK.

Jan   

I personally think that whomever Ridley Scott hired as a voice coach for BHD was not very good at their job. Either that or they were completely overwhelmed with all the Brits in the cast who needed to sound American.

Jason Isaacs was better than most, but poor Ioan - his accent came out as a 'whatisit'. I thought Orlando did fine, but I might have been more critical if I hadn't known already that he was a Brit. When he was on the Johnny Vaughan show with Jason to promote BHD, he slipped into it for a few seconds when he said the name of the character he portrayed. Jeanne, if you've never seen this interview, you MUST. I know Naoko has it at E-Blooming, but I believe she's not making clips available for the rest of the month due to bandwidth issues; you might check next week. I know I've seen it on KaZaA. It's very funny!

I agree, CareyLeah, the 'ear' for accents is a tough thing. And, as much as I dislike him, I agree Colin Farrell does a great job, with both 'BBC English' and American. I also think Gwyneth and Angelina Jolie do a pretty good Brit accent (UK girls, what do you think?). Hearing the comparison of Orlando on screen vs. the BBC1 interview, he appears good at morphing between the different Brit dialects.

OMG. If Orlando ever did any of the 'romance' languages, I'd be done for good. :naughty:

Geri   
IOMG. If Orlando ever did any of the 'romance' languages, I'd be done for good. :naughty:

I think I would give my eye teeth to hear him speak French in a love scene.. :blush:

Guest Elements   
Guest Elements

Both Angelina and Gweneth do very good English accents, much better than a lot of men attempting them (as a Keanu Reeves fan I should know *shudder*). I always loved how Orlando would say 'Private first class Todd Blackburn' in the American accent, so cute! As for his accent, he comes from the same region as me, so I don't have the joys of 'loving his accent' like you peebles do, but I think that the Radio 1 interview, and in fact most of his interviews, show his true speaking voice, while on screen he adapts it to fit the character. Even more proof that he is a good actor - he literally becomes the character right down the the manner and accent of speech. And yes, before you ask, dropping t's is very common :wink:

Guest Bloomiecurse   
Guest Bloomiecurse
I'd love to hear him portray a New Yorker!  :lmao:

No no no. A Frenchman :blush: or even better, Italian :devil: :faint: I would absolutely die to hear Orlando wrap his tongue around a few trilled r's La vostra bellezza lucida più luminoso della stella più luminosa *gah* THUD

Aermmmm.. as Italian I feel directly involved in such a topic.

Yeah! Indeed I'd die to hear him talk to me in my own language. with that unmistakable Brit accent which makes me melt.

:faint:

and. do you mind if I correct your sentence Hopeless Romantic?

This will probably help you (or maybe us all!!!) imagining Orlando pronouncing those gorgeous words to you (us)... :wink:

La tua bellezza splende più luminosa della stella più brillante..

GAH! I am dead!

*needs a cigarette!* :naughty:

Guest Elements   
Guest Elements

Sorry, it was me not HR who put up the rubbishy Italian sentence. I'm half Italian and occaisionally kid myself that I can string sentences together - I can't. I must be punished. Please send Orlando immediately to spank me. Was I at least close with my attempt?

Guest Bloomiecurse   
Guest Bloomiecurse
Sorry, it was me not HR who put up the rubbishy Italian sentence. I'm half Italian and occaisionally kid myself that I can string sentences together - I can't. I must be punished. Please send Orlando immediately to spank me. Was I at least close with my attempt?

Sending Orlando spanking you?

:faint::blink::blink:

Are you kidding?

He's here with me, taking. aermmm *clears throat* Italian lessons. :blush: :devil: :faint::eat:

*glares at the others*

Yes! We call them Italian lessons here! :wink:

And Elements, nevermind abour your sentence! I believe my English may sound odd as well! :naughty:

Guest Bloomiecurse   
Guest Bloomiecurse
Was I at least close with my attempt?

Yeah, you were close to it.

This is what you wrote

La vostra bellezza lucida più luminoso della stella più luminosa

This is what we'd say

La tua bellezza brilla/splende più brillante della stella più luminosa

You were only deceited by the use of some particular verbs.

for instance, lucidare (lucida) means in Italian to polish, but lucido is an adjective which stands for something that gleams.

In this case we use brillare (or splendere) which means to shine.

[/end of Italian lesson number 1, and of her nonsense rant]

:naughty:

Guest Elements   
Guest Elements

Cool, thanks Bloomiecurse :blush::naughty: And I wouldn't worry about your English, it's brilliant!

Jan   

This thread (all the different 'cultures', if you will) shows why *sniff* I love my little 'hood. :wub:

"Yo quiero Taco Bell." There. That's the extent of what 12 years of Spanish in school did for me. I can usually read and understand about 2/3 of anything in Spanish, but fugeddabout speaking it. Oh, and the bad (good?) words. I know several in Spanish and Greek. You know, the words that really count.

Guest Kazren   
Guest Kazren

Since part of Orlando's charm is his 'accent' I really wouldn't want him to lose it for a role. Let those eyes speak to me!

bondagedreams.jpg

Guest novasgal2000   
Guest novasgal2000

Aside from hands, another of my strange requirements for major attraction is usually an accent or being able to speak a foreign language. If Orlando ever gets ahold of Spanish in ANY form.I'll die! A while back, David Boreanaz said two words.two words...in Spanish on a talk show ("papi chulo" = cutie) and I lost it something BAD! Knowing Orlando speaks a smattering of French increases the attraction to him, but since I don't know any French (or anything other than Spanish), I'd always be paranoid that he's calling me mean names or insulting me :lmao:

I need to go rent BHD or hope it comes on STARZ again real soon so I can see what his American accent sounds like :wub:

Sonia

Guest Leggyslove   
Guest Leggyslove
I still haven't watched BHD (though I have a copy of it :( )

:naughty: YOU! Haven't. Seen. It.?!?!! :hug::w00t:

*shoves you on the couch* *puts DVD in*

There. :)

Jan   

If you are desperate to hear it before the film shows, Sarah at the OB Files has a couple of mp3 clips of his voice from BHD.

It could tide you over? :naughty:

I still haven't watched BHD (though I have a copy of it  :( )

:naughty: YOU! Haven't. Seen. It.?!?!! :O:w00t:

*shoves you on the couch* *puts DVD in*

There. :)

Erm. yes. I know. Shame on me. :paperbag:

It's just that I'm not a big fan of war movies at the best of times, and I don't know if my imagination was getting ahead of me, but I was imagining all kinds of bloody massacres and I just couldn't quite bring myself to watch it.

Even WITH Orlando and Ewan in the same movie. :)

But I'll try it this weekend. Just for the sake of my hormones you, Bonnie m'dear. :hug:

Sez

Guest Elements   
Guest Elements

Sez, the great thing about this film (from a squeemish viewpoint) is that Orlando is out of it pretty quick so if you don't like the blood and guts stuff, you can stop watching pretty soon after he falls. I have watched all the behind the scenes stuff so much more than I have watched the film. Particularly the boot camp one - where he is cute beyond belief - and the deleted scene - where he is all injured and cute beyonf belief :naughty:

Guest Bloomiecurse   
Guest Bloomiecurse
Particularly the boot camp one - where he is cute beyond belief - and the deleted scene - where he is all injured and cute beyonf belief :hug:

I ALWAYS start from the assumption that he is ALWAYS cute beyond belief!

Ditto!

:will: :( :paris: :naughty::w00t:

Alrighty. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet (so to speak :naughty: ) and watch it this weekend.

It's that or an Enjo party. Enjo. or Orlando. hmmm. decisions, decisions. :w00t:

Sez