Sign in to follow this  
Jan

43 posts in this topic

Jan   

Since Orlando's role was so small that if you took a potty break in the theatre you'd miss it (though not as sad as Ioan's appearance, I must say), it isn't worth having a separate area.

HOWEVER. Here's my FWIW review.

Last week, the 3-disc extended DVD (the 'definitive' one?!?) of Black Hawk Down was released, and I shelled out for it. I saw this film when it came out and was mightily impressed, but I must confess I haven't watched it since then as it was too gut-wrenching, more so because it is a true story.

This DVD set includes some very interesting shorts, including the Ranger and Delta training the actors actually went through so that they would look like the 'real thing' on film; the digital effects (which I was surprised to find out were digital effects!), and words from the actors and filmmakers on how the film affected them. There were also some deleted scenes, and an alternative ending (that I would have liked to have seen left in, and NO, not because it featured Orlando - it was thought-provoking).

But of course, I boiled it down to a base level - and capped where Orlando looked cute - including getting his head shaved, training, filming, etc. Oh yeah, including some of the cut scenes that were previously hinted at around here - where he's laid out flat in triage with nothin' but his fatigue pants and a neck brace. :censor: (Click on the thumbprints for larger versions.)

(BTW, yes, Jason Isaacs is in these extras as well, but they interviewed him when he was made up with gore and blood on his face - I love the man, but :!!: !)

Enjoy!

WHAT a cutie-patootie. :!!:

BHDExBM15.jpg

Ginger   
WHAT a cutie-patootie.  :naughty:

BHDExBM15.jpg

He is a cutie-patootie, even with the hair! You know a man is good-looking when he can smile like that in a buzz cut and be adorable.

Thanks for the run-down on the dvd Jan. I'm not in the market for it at this time because **Confession Moment** this Horatian (Ioan), Harry Potter (Jason ), LOTR (Orlando) fan has not yet seen this movie, primarily because of the gut-wrenching factor you mentioned. My self-talk goes something like this.

All those men! I wanna see it.

All the gore! I donnowanna see it.

All those uniforms! I wanna see it.

It's a true tragedy! I donnowanna see it.

But all those men! I wanna see it.but.

You get the idea.

Did you ever post an actual review of the film somewhere? I would like to read it if so.

Guest novasgal2000   
Guest novasgal2000

Totally random impulse buyer today. I was at Best Buy returning something when I found "Big Trouble In Little China" for $10 on DVD. Enthused by that treasure of a find, I decided to look for BHD, thinking it wouldn't be anymore than $15-$20. Imagine my surprise when I found it was $35.99!!! :fear: Then I realized it's a special 3 Disc Extended Version. This is how I know I've gone totally fangirl: I didn't even make it through the regular version of this movie 'cause it was too stomach churning for me. Why in the world would I buy 3 discs worth of it? One word: Orlando :naughty: SO embarassing.

Just wanted to thank Jan for the caps and review of the extras so I now know what to be on the look out for!

Sonia

Guest DragonAmara   
Guest DragonAmara
Did you ever post an actual review of the film somewhere? I would like to read it if so.

I'm sure you're talking to Jan.but I've seen it and yea, it's intense. I kinda grew up on war movies, so they don't affect me too badly, just the ones that are based on true stories. Well, Pearl Harbor being the major exception.

BHD is not for the faint of heart, there's a lot of blood and a lot of violence. But it is superb. The way it's done shows the confusion of it all and the absolute tenacity of those soldiers involved. I'd recommend it to anyone with a few disclaimers:

1)It's loud and confusing. It's beneficial to have someone who's either seen the movie a few times or had actually read about that whole ordeal (or had read BHD) because there are only a few of them who are readily distinguishible.

2)It's intense. There is no breathing time from the moment those boys hit the dirt.

3)Tissues. I cried, and I don't cry easily at movies.

Otherwise it's a fantastic movie, and a real credit to the soldiers involved, especially those that lost their lives.

LadyMon   

Thanks for sharing Jan Orlando is really cute.

I have loved this movie, but I can't see it 2th time, my stomach would be sick like Sonia said

Guest ElvishGal   
Guest ElvishGal

I have not yet seen Black Hawk Down and the cute-patootie in it named Orlando,

but maybe soon when I get the stomach for it.

Edited by PEFIC for capitalization and punctuation.

Guest caseymochridh   
Guest caseymochridh

Thanks for the caps, Jan. He is so adorable!

I grew up in a military family, so perhaps I'm not a grossed out by war movies as some people are. But this is a very intense movie and not for the faint-of-heart! Beautifully acted and photographed, but very very emotionally destructive!

Casey

Guest Cl@re   
Guest Cl@re

I finally got around to buying this DVD. I was always a little more hesitant with Orlando being in it so little. However after seeing it in a 'buy one, get one free offer' I decided to go for it. I really liked the film much more the second time round and the DVD extra's, even though I haven't seen them all yet, make it much more worthwhile for us Orlando fans. For someone in the film such a short time, he certainly made the most of the Making Of didn't he? :shiny:

Guest surfingangel   
Guest surfingangel
For someone in the film such a short time, he certainly made the most of the Making Of didn't he? :P

I know!!! I bought it on Wednesday along with the LORT FOTR EE DvD (glued to the TV all day, I tell ya!) and he was interviewed a lot!

I love the little shoulder shrug with the goofy grin he gives after seeing himself in the mirror at the barber shop. Adorable! :hug:

"Vanity out the window.(clipper noise) Okay, cool."

Another thing that surprised me while watching the interviews was how many of the guys were British or Scottish! Some of them I would have sworn were American until they spoke in the interviews! Not that I'm complaining. :shiny: . Whoever was the dialogue coach did a really good job.

Edit: Jan, where exactly is the triage scene? I saw the alternate ending, but not where he's by himself.

Geri   

I was just reviewing this material and I think I heard him say :Cloud9: on Disc 3!! :) The Essence of Combat, Crash Course...at 9:13 into the sequence. The actors are doing thier PT. It's audible and I believe it's Orlando's voice, then his back we see walking away. He ducks under parallel bars where they're doing push ups. Go check and see if you hear it too. It's like he's just done as many as he can and he just goes " :leg: ". :leg:

Guest Cinder   
Guest Cinder

Love, love love the movie. Being an Army girl, this movie made a very ugly battle easy to talk about. It went from a taboo subject, to a block of instruction. The last intelligence school I went to had a whole BHD afternoon. They showed several clips from the movie with discussions after each clip. Being the only girl in the room, I had to suppress the fangirl squee we he says, "Well, I'm here to kick some :faint: " *sigh*

And I agree the :) from the monkey bars clip is probably him. Everything about the training sequences make me giggle. I'm so proud all of them and what they did. I've made a promise to myself that if I meet anyone involved in that movie to give them a big hug and a "thank you." Starting with Orlando and Josh, of course. :P

Beigh   

I have had the BHD 3-disc set in my hand several times, but always end up putting it back. It's a good movie, but not something I would watch much beyond the first 20 mins. :wink:

It is a lot of money to pay for a few teensy glimpses of Orlando training etc. Maybe he appears more often than I thought he might?

(I like the sound of the 2-for1 deal!) Any advice would be appreciated. :naughty:

Ejderha   

It is a very good movie. A very objective look and I cried in some scenes. It is a very good real reflection. It made me feel so bad. Like all based on facts. And though He has a very short role, He rocks ! All the actors are very good.

Guest Bishwop   
Guest Bishwop

Am I the only one here who owns both the original and EE of BHD? I guess so, but I simply adore this movie! This is the only movie I watch more often then LOTR, and I know the BHD dialouge better. I only cried once in theatre, at the very end, right after the line 'Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way,' that line had me bawling, and I hate crying in the theatre. I was very proud of myself a few months ago when I was able to fall alseep watching BHD, which as an odd thing to be proud of (I am still working on sleeping through Saving Private Ryan). The sad thing is that I watch so many war movies, I love the gore even, that watching news reports of real war bore me. Isn't that absurd? These stories of people dying bore me, because they do not measure to my glorified idea of what war should look like. That being said I still love this movie, and only wish a certain character could have had more screen time.

(Has anybody seen the extended scene where Orlando is shirtless? He doesn't have the worlds greates American accent, but man does he look good half naked! :shiny: )

Guest elfdream   
Guest elfdream

No you are not the only one who owns both.so do I! :angry:

I understand the 'absurdity' of your being able to watch war movies and not the news. I can watch Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan and things like that but I could not watch Gangs of New York and I doubt if I will be able to watch the Passion of the Christ. Mass violence doesn't seem to bother me.one on one violence I have difficulties with. That is absurd as well!

elfdream

Phynx   

May I also raise my hand and say that I also own both versions of this film? :)

Love it. I still remember seeing those soldiers being draged on CNN. I was only 9 at the time. :angry:

Starbuck   
Am I the only one here who owns both the original and EE of BHD?

I own both versions. I also love this film. I went to see it in the theaters because of Ewan McGregor, Eric Bana, and Ridley Scott. Orlando was a fringe benefit! :angry:

Guest Clarissa   
Guest Clarissa

I just got the Extended DVD on Saturday so I haven't had time to watch everything yet. I (of course) rushed to see the alternate ending with shirtless Orlando which I very much enjoyed (once I got past the shirtless Eric Bana deleted scene.) I watched a bit of the combat training. I watched him lose his hair. :lol: But seeing Ewan McGregor lose that pretty head of hair almost made me cry. :lol:

I started to buy the regular DVD release but then I heard they were coming out with the extended one so I waited for that one.

I like this movie. It's a war movie. There is no sappy love story to get in the way.no other outside stuff.just a war. It's a bit intense but I think it's a great movie. It was a great movie for Orlando. He apparently made quite an impact on Jerry and Ridley. Even though Orlando is only in the movie for a little bit I still have Eric and Ewan to pull me along.

I just got the extended edition a few weeks ago. Is there anything on the theatrical edition that isn't on the extended? Especially anything with Orlando?

Thanks,

Dairwendan

Guest Bishwop   
Guest Bishwop

Yeah, the theatrical version has a 20 minute 'On the Set' feature that isn't on the EE. It's mostly a summarized version of the documentaries on the EE. It's cute, but there's nothing earth-shattering in it.

Guest shaynalisa   
Guest shaynalisa

I've had the EE for weeks and just popped it in today. I already watched the hair shaving clip and giggled all the way through it.

I don't like war movies, and don't usually watch them. I enjoyed seeing Orlando in a different role, however. Here's my comments, if anyone cares:

1. I miss the accent. Sorry, but that man has the sexiest voice and the sexiest accent and just has no business not speaking without it. I hope for Elizabethtown I will feel differently. By then, he should be able to do it better, too.

2. Todd and my son have the same birthdate (NOT YEAR): 2/27. That made me smile.

3. HATED seeing him bloody. HATED seeing him fall from the helicopter. It made me wonder if that is what he looked like when he fell off the roof and it made my heart hurt.

4. Was adorable to see Eric Bana and Orlando side by side on the chow line arguing.

There are TONS of stars in it, though. In fact, one of my favorite guys is in it AND I DON'T KNOW HIS NAME! LOL He's the guy with the big blue eyes, was in Armageddon, Grace Under Fire, Contact. God, I wish I could think of his name.

Anyway, Orlando was beautiful. I thought to myself, "Self," I said, "Would you have checked Orlando out if you had seen this before becomming OBsessed?" One look at that beautiful face, those prominent cheekbones, and of course the answer was "Probably". :rofl:

Shaynalisa

Guest Bishwop   
Guest Bishwop

Shaynalisa, do you mean William Fichtner?? I was bored so I went through the BHD credits at imdb.com , and he's the only person I could find who was in all the movies you mentioned.

Guest elfdream   
Guest elfdream
Anyway, Orlando was beautiful.  I thought to myself, "Self," I said, "Would you have checked Orlando out if you had seen this before becomming OBsessed?"  One look at that beautiful face, those prominent cheekbones, and of course the answer was  "Probably".  :giveup:

I remember when I first saw that bit when they walked into to get their hair cuts. Let's imagine I was watching the movie for Ewan Mcgregor and knew little of Orlando. I thought all the men were very handsome but when Orlando walked in I know I would have had a "Who is THAT?" moment! :w00t:

And the same for Hugh Dancey as well. :cry:

elfdream