Sign in to follow this  
Sunstar

Romans

Film-News

Orlando Bloom takes lead in new drama 'Romans'

Powerful drama and independent feature film, Romans, commences principal photography in West London from next week starring award winning actor Orlando Bloom (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hobbit). The four week shoot will take place in West London and will start from Monday 16th November.

Directed by The Shamassian Brothers (The Pyramid Texts) with screenplay by BAFTA award winning writer Geoff Thompson, Romans is produced by WSG Entertainment’s Sheetal Vinod Talwar as well as James Harris and Mark Lane, The Tea Shop & Film Company and Jasper Graham, Dreamscape Films. Set in present day London, Romans is based on true life events and follows the story of a middle aged man, Malky played by Orlando Bloom, still trying to come to terms with crippling insecurity, the residue of childhood sexual abuse at the hands of a trusted and idolised priest. The abuse by the priest, the withdrawal of his mother’s love and abandonment of God set Malky’s life onto a twisted trajectory of violent employment, serial self-abuse and psychotic sexual jealousy. The arresting narrative follows Malky as he confronts the demons that have been haunting him for twenty years and makes the decision to forgive his abuser despite aching for violent revenge.

Producer, Sheetal Vinod Talwar said: “Romans is an incredible script. The dialogue is brilliant and believable; the reversals and surprises are well placed and powerful. The characters and situations are vividly drawn. Orlando was the perfect choice for ‘Malky’ and will take audiences on a raw and harrowing voyage through the inner human psyche. With the Shamassian Brothers at the helm, it’s going to be a beautiful picture.”

Producer, Jasper Graham said: “I am thrilled to be working with Mr Talwar and such a talented team. This project has a powerful message that can’t be ignored and we hope to give a fresh perspective on a sensitive, topical issue.“

Producer, Mark Lane added: “"Geoff has written a moving script and we are grateful to be working with such a passionate team on what will be an undoubtedly powerful film".

Orlando Bloom is represented by Independent Talent Group, Brillstein Entertainment Partners and CAA.

Oh wow! This does sound like a very different part for Orlando and I can't wait to see him tackle Malky but seeing that this is an Independent Film I hope we get to see this one. I still haven't seen Zulu and I have practically given up on that one. So hopefully we will get to see Romans and see Orlando as Malky.

Thank you very much Rene for the heads up. :hug:

Kim

Thanks, Rene, for the heads up. Sounds like a powerful and brilliant script, and an amazing role for Orlando. Indie films don't usually come to my local screens, but here's hoping this one will be the exception.

I'm happy to hear Orlando has a new movie project working. It sounds more intense than anything he's done before, and I have no doubt about him being able to deliver a powerful performance. It's just going to take me some time to get my brain around the subject matter.
Thanks, Sunstar, for posting.

OK, I zoomed in on 'middle-aged'. WTF is middle aged these days?!?

Sounds like a great role. Thanks, Rene.

Wow! Sounds very good. Hope we get to see this one.

While looking for more information about this project, I saw that the true story it was based upon was that of the writer of the screenplay, Geoff Thompson.
When I googled Geoff Thompson I was amazed at the things he has accomplished. He has started a program called The Forgiveness Project where people from all around the world share their stories.
He had this to say about forgiveness.

" I came to realise that if someone abused me twenty years ago and I did not forgive them, they were still abusing me now, today, in fact they were literally holding me in stasis. Forgiveness gives you power not only over the here-and-now and over the future, it also deems you impervious to your past. It literally allows you to dismantle historical trauma."
After reading about him, I can see why Orlando would be interested in this story,

Here's a link to The Forgiveness Project web page.
http://theforgivenessproject.com/stories/geoff-thompson-england/

(I'm sorry, I don't remember how to make a proper link.)

Thank you so much Serendipity for sharing his story with us. :hug:

Kim

Wow this sounds like a really good and intense role for Orlando. I usually avoid movies that focus on child abuse/pedophilia, but I will see this whenever it comes out. It might be a tough sell for mainstream movie studios, but hopefully it will be out on DVD. Thank you Rene for sharing the news. :thumbsup:

Jan, I was like :oh: when I saw that Orlando would play a "middle-aged" man. I think the average life span for men is 75-76 so technically speaking I guess Orlando is "middle-age". The problem is Orlando doesn't look his age. He looks 30 and not even that old sometimes. I think they will have to use harsh lighting and maybe add a few wrinkles to make him look older. :lol:

Serendipity, thank you for the article on Geoff Thompson. He sounds like a great guy and a much better person than I would if I had his experiences. I agree that I can see why Orlando would want to plat this role.

Janet Montgomery has been cast opposite Orlando in 'Romans'.

Variety

“Salem” star Janet Montgomery has been cast opposite Orlando Bloom in the psychological drama “Romans,” which has started shooting in the U.K.

Bloom stars as a man still trying to come to terms with repercussions resulting from childhood sexual abuse at the hands of a trusted and idolized priest. Montgomery will star as the character’s wife, struggling to deal with a husband that seems unable to love her back.

Wow! I remember Janet Montgomery in the mini-series "Salem", so I am glad to read that she will be playing opposite Orlando. :)

Thank you very much Rene for the update. :hug:

Kim

Sign in to follow this