Sign in to follow this  
Kim

ka-Bloomie Reviews

I thought I would start up a thread for us to post our reviews of the Battle of the Five Armies. :)

I just got back from seeing the Hobbit and it is sensational! :2thumbs: I am not going to say too much because I don't want to give anything away for those of you that haven't seen it yet.

But I can say this, it is exciting, emotional and heartbreaking. So yes, you will be needing your kleenex with this one. It was affecting me so much that I was literally shaking and I was holding onto my wrist so tightly it ended up with a bruise! Also, at the end when they play Billy Boyd's The Last Goodbye, they are showing all these beautiful drawings of the characters and the two combined got me crying, it was so beautifully done. :blow: What a great tribute to a wonderful trilogy.

Everybody was excellent and wait until you see the stunts Orlando/Legolas had to do in this one. Wow! :w00t: And just like Orlando said in one of his interviews, you will love the way they tie his story into the Lord of the Rings. So I can't wait to see this again.

Kim aka Aranes :leg:

Kim, great review and I agree with everything you said. BOTFA is definitely the best of the three Hobbit movies. It is exciting and emotional. Although I have to admit it didn't have the same level of emotional oomph that ROTK had. So for me the Hobbit trilogy falls just short of the excellence of the LOTR trilogy but it's still a great trilogy and together they make the best film series IMHO.

I cried during the end credits too. :blow: I wondered the other night if they would use Alan Lee's character portraits in the end credits like they did for ROTK. I was worried because The Hobbit trilogy has a bigger cast than LOTR. I realize now I was wrong to doubt. And Billy's song is wonderful and my new favorite end song of Middle Earth movies.

Legolas once again has his "Leggy" moments and I like the overall story arc PJ and the writers gave Legolas and how it does tie in to the LOTR trilogy.

Now for more specific comments so those who have yet to see the movie beware. There be Spoilers ahead:

I once again was pleasantly surprised with the screen time Legolas had. I thought Orlando was great in showing Legolas' pain when he talked about his mother. :quiver: I really wanted to give him a hug. I liked his interactions with Thranduil as Legolas takes a stand and becomes his own elf. I'm glad they showed a softer side to Thranduil in the end when father and son part ways. I thought Orlando and Lee did great then.

The whole cast was good, but really the acting honors go to Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage. Richard was great in showing Thorin's descent into madness and Martin really nailed Bilbo's conflicting emotions in lying to Thorin but also wanting to help the dwarves. Thorin's death scene was beautifully done. I also really liked the scene between Gandalf and Bilbo shortly after the battle with Gandalf trying to light his pipe. It reminds me of the hobbits with their ale at the Green Dragon near the end of ROTK. Like the hobbits, Bilbo and Gandalf are relieved to be alive but they know they are changed and not the same from earlier in their journey.

A few things that bugged me:

The Thorin-Azog battle got a little silly when Azog was under the ice and Thorin kept following him. Were we really supposed to be surprised when Azog jumped out of the ice and stabs Thorin?

There was too much screen time given to Alfrid. I don't know if it was PJ or some studio exec that thought he would make good comic relief, but he wasn't. He was just an annoying character. If they wanted comic relief, they should have given Bombur or Bolfur some more scenes as they were pretty funny in the first two movies.

And what the heck happens to Tauriel? Evangeline Lily was good in showing her sorrow over Fili's death, but was that it? I read/heard somewhere where elves can die of a broken heart? Is that what happened? Since Tolkien didn't create her, the writers should have given her a clearer ending. I doubt she went back to Mirkwood. I was also disappointed Legolas and Tauriel didn't have a good-bye scene. Maybe the extended edition will give us some answers.

Also I think I saw Sonia's cameo. She was within the first minute of Smaug's attack on Lake Town. She was looking appropriately very scared. The woman was wearing the same colonial style bonnet that Sonia wore in that extra we saw last month of Orlando "coaching" his mom.

I saw it yesterday and it took me a while to gather my wits afterward. It was such a good movie all around, and such a treat to be seeing the Elf one last time. I really enjoyed all of Luke Evans's screen time and watching Thorin's gang come out to join in the battle raging around them gives you a sense of the scope of things. I didn't know Billy Connolly was going to be in it, so he was a pleasant surprise. I'd know that voice anywhere! :teehee:

More specific spoilers:

As much as I will always love the Elf, honestly my first thought when we first see him was "He looks photo-shopped!" Something was just off with the lightness of his hair and skin against the background, I guess. I was expecting some interesting action scenes, but the part where he jumped from stone to stone as they were falling just looked fake to me. Hands down, my favorite Legolas moment was the look on his face when he runs out of arrows and has to give up his sword instead. Classic! I also liked how he stood up to his father for Tauriel's sake.

I enjoyed Thranduil much more this time around. When you see him with blood on his face after the fighting is done, I had to catch myself. Elves don't have green blood, do they? It was orc blood. :doh:

How cool was the scene where Galadriel, Elrond and Sauruman fight off the Nine?!

What was the point of showing the big worm things if nothing happened with them? And what happened to the Arkenstone? Bard didn't give it to Thorin before the fighting began. Was it returned to the Dwarves afterward? I only read the book once, forgive me.

Christa

I will be seeing the Battle of the Five Armies for the second time on Monday and I can't wait to see it again! :cheer2: I will also be seeing it in the standard format just like the first time and I thought the movie looked great. So I was wondering as anyone seen it in 3D? Also, has anyone else seen the Battle of the Five Armies yet? I would love to know what you thought of it. :)

Kim aka Aranes :leg:

I just got back from my second visit to Middle Earth after seeing the Battle of the Five Armies and this time I saw it in 3D and it was fantastic! :cheer2: Also the theater we saw it in had the XPlus format and the seats were so comfortable, it felt like I was watching from my home. :)

Anyways, I enjoyed the Battle of the Five Armies just as much as I did the first time and it was awesome seeing Legolas in 3D, he looked gorgeous! I could see every little detail, from his beautiful blue eyes to his gorgeous blonde hair. :hott: And his stunts looked even more better than it did in the 2D. :w00t:

Also, just like the first time I cried when Thorin, Kili and Fili were killed and when they played Billy Boyd's "The Last Goodbye" at the end. :blow:

I hope to hear about your thoughts on the Battle of the Five Armies soon and that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Kim

Hey Kim. I'm glad you were able the movie again and in 3D! :w00t: I would love to see it in 3D. Sadly as it stands now, my local theater's earliest showing for 3D is mid-afternoon and I usually ride my scooter to said theater. So it would be dark when the movie is over, and I don't like(it would be a bad idea) to ride my scooter when it's dark. But I definitely will see it again, just not sure when. Since it's still the #! movie in the US, :yahoo: I'm sure it will be around for a while yet.

Christa-thanks for posting your review. :2thumbs: You made some good points.

Did you see the movie in HFR or whatever it the higher film rate is called? I'm just curious because I've seen DOS and BOFA in regular 2D and Legolas didn't look that different to me. His eyes are definitely a lighter shade of blue but the hair and skin didn't seem that much lighter than LOTR. But I have read comments of those who saw it in HFR and 3D who commented on how light and "weird" his eyes look. I also think the overall cinematography is lighter in the Hobbit trilogy(especially the first two) than the LOTR trilogy. That might also explains why Legolas would appear lighter.

I do agree that the CGI in Leggy's stunts were a bit over the top in this movie, but I just laughed at them, especially when Legolas jumps on the bat's legs for a ride. I have a feeling PJ likes the Leggy moments as much as we do and he has this need to out-do the previous Leggy moment with each new movie. Consider Legolas fighting the troll in FOTR with Legolas vs the mumakill in ROTK. I just wish we could have an extra that shows Orlando's reactions to BOFA stunts compared to the "No Way!" reaction to the mumakill scene in the ROTK extra. And I liked his expression when Legolas ran out of arrows too.

I liked how they softened Thranduil's character a bit in BOFA. The scene where he walks by the Elvish bodies was sad, reminding us that the Elves can die in battle(it reminded me of Haldir seeing the dead Elves before he dies at Helm's Deep).

I have not read The Hobbit as I deliberately waited until after seeing the movies. But my theory would be that Dain(Billy Connolly's character) becomes King of the Mountain after Thorin's death. And Bard probably gave the Arkenstone to him after the dwarves and humans come to some kind of truce. Still it would have been nice if there was a scene that told us what became of the dwarves. The only one whose fate we know for sure is Balin. Since I got to like him in the Hobbit trilogy(Ken Stott does a good job with the limited scenes he has), the scene at Balin's tomb in FOTR, especially Gimli's reaction, is very bittersweet. :cry: In the FOTR book, I think Gloin is still alive as he sends Gimli to be his representative at the Council of Elrond. But the others, who knows?

And I agree with Kim that I would love to hear what others thought of the movie. I was just looking at the Ka-Bloomie reviews for DOS thread. There were three pages worth by New Year's day of comments. New Year's Day at this point for BOFA: three members. Just saying.

Thanks for starting this thread, Kim. :hug:

I've seen it once (the day after it opened - to avoid crowds), but I didn't post a review. Partially because I was sad that there wasn't more "Leggy" time. I know, I know. . . he wasn't in the book and we were LUCKY he was in two of the three the movies, but still. There will never be enough Leggy time for me. Yes, I said it! :P

Anyway, I plan on seeing it again because I completely missed seeing Sonia! :O

- Pam -

Yep, Sonia is the one of the first people we see right before Smaug arrives in Laketown. She is wearing a white bonnet and tying an apron or something like that. I really got to see her the second time. :)

I am glad you got to see it Pam and I agree I wish there was more of Legolas but when he was on it, he was fabulous! :leg:

Kim

Sign in to follow this