Just received this in an email from Disney today.

"Prepare the celebratory cannon fire! Walt Disney Studios has just made it official: The fifth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean will come to theaters on July 7, 2017! We’ll have to sail a bit further before we discover any more details about the film, but once we consult this trusty pirate map that mysteriously arrived at our office, we’re sure we’ll discover something soon!"

Can be seen here.

:ghostship:

Seriously! Thanks, McJules. I wonder what changes they will ring on the Jack Sparrow & Pirates-searching-for-whatever idea. Personally, I think they should have quit after No. 3.

I can't imagine what the story line will be, but without Will, I really don't care. I agree with Welshwoman, three was enough.

I agree with you Barbara and Serendipity about them stopping at three. If they don't bring back Will Turner than they can count me out as well.

Kim

It would be great if they brought back Will Turner because then I would definitely see Pirates 5. If they don't bring him back, I will probably pass on seeing this Pirates as well.

I can appreciate everyone's point of view on this. I know many who think the series should have ended after 3 films. I am here to offer a different opinion.

In my view, the POTC films have always been about Jack's story. I adore Jack's character. While we all know I love Will (all the time in fact, see my title :wink2:), I do very much enjoy Johnny's Jack. In my view, in POTC3, Jack was not completely what made him Jack, if you know what I mean. There were moments where I felt he was however, he didn't seem completely true to the character he had created and it felt forced at times for me. As if the Jack Sparrow craziness wasn't natural. It's the appearance of that naturalness that I think give Jack his essence. As Gillette says "Do you think he plans it all out or makes it up as he goes along?"

In POTC4, I found Jack to be more true to himself (reminiscent of COTB) and I quite enjoyed the film. Sure, like a true ka-Bloomie, I was disappointed there'd be no whelp but that story line had concluded. To bring back Will (or Elizabeth) wouldn't make sense, in my opinion.

Regarding POTC5 and beyond, as long as Jack's character stays true to what makes him so wonderful, and the team behind the film can deliver on that while insuring tie-ins to lots of good piratey lore, I say why not keep making them. I find them entertaining and based on some other films out there, it's good family viewing, generally speaking.

Sorry for going on, just wanted to offer a differing opinion that supports another film. :blush:

Thanks for sharing that, McJules. My objection to a continuation of the franchise has nothing to do with Will Turner. I did not enjoy POTC4, and found Jack's antics annoying, and the film too over the top for me. But that's just me. Based on my feelings about #4, I am ready to be done with the franchise. I do agree that the Jack Sparrow character is a wonderful creation, and Johnny Depp has brought him to full and vigorous life. However, where can you go with the franchise and what can you do with it that hasn't been done in some way in the first four?

Personally I'm happy, love Jack's adventures! I likes Pirates 4 and just watched it again the other day. (No, not as much as the other three but enough to waste two hours on it!) Will I miss the Whelp, yes I will.

We shall see what Disney has up it's ruffled sleeve!

I completely understand WW and can see why you’d feel it was too over the top. I agree that at times it was.

I also agree they could be hard-pressed for story lines so it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Sign in to follow this