Sign in to follow this  
Sunstar

6 posts in this topic

The SMA Trust

Awareness Reception at 11 Downing Street

The SMA Trust, along with Jonathan and Patricia Dee and Team David, hosted a reception at 11 Downing Street on 10th July 2014. The event was a perfect opportunity to thank supporters and raise awareness of Spinal Muscular Atrophy amongst old and new friends.

We were blessed with a beautiful sunny evening and, as well as seeing the interior of No. 11, guests enjoyed the opportunity of mingling and taking photographs in Downing Street itself. Three powerful speeches came from Joanna Mitchell, Executive Director of The SMA Trust, who talked about Spinal Muscular Atrophy and the work of The SMA Trust, followed by Jonathan Dee, who gave an emotional and powerful account of his son David’s life with SMA, his family and friends’ tremendous fundraising efforts (under the banner of Team David) and his hopes for the future. Lastly, Baroness Campbell, campaigner and advisor for disability reforms in the House of Lords, provoked both thought and laughter with her speech, which stressed the importance of supporting people living with SMA (whose bodies are weak but whose minds are unaffected) and enabling them to achieve their full potential

We were thrilled to be joined by George Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer and his wife Francis, as well as celebrities including Emily Maitlis and Bill Turnbull, together with Orlando Bloom.

Many thanks to all our guests and especially to Jonathan and Patricia Dee for making the initial contact that led to this event and, of course, to The Chancellor of the Exchequer and all the 11 Downing Street staff for making us feel so welcome.

SMA_Trust071014_01.jpg

SMA_Trust071014_02.jpg

SMA_Trust071014_03.jpg

Thanks, Rene, for posting. Good on Orlando for lending his support to The SMA Trust. I appreciate reading the article and seeing the photographs from the July 10th reception at Downing Street.

Thanks for that, love that his charity comes from such a personal place. He really is wonderful.

Loving the ponytail! Shades of Pirate hair!

I am not surprised that Orlando would want to support this most important cause, he just keeps on showing us how much he cares and how he wants to help out whenever he can. :wub: I wish there were more people like Orlando in this world, that truly care. :heart: :heart:

Thank you so much Rene for sharing this with us and to Orlando for being the wonderful, caring person that you are. :hug:

Kim

He's truly a wonderful and caring person. I'm not at all surprised to see him taking part in another worthy cause. Thank you, Sunstar, for bringing us the report and the photos.
Now, you all know I love him, but my gracious, it looks like they just drug him in off the street. Never mind, that's just another thing we love about him, his lack of pretension. What a sweetheart!

Thank you Rene for posting. That is wonderful that Orlando is supporting the SMA trust. I enjoyed reading the article and seeing the pictures from the reception at Downing Street. I agree with you Glenna that Orlando is wonderful and it's great to see him getting involved with charities. I also love how his hair looks in the ponytail and that it reminds me of when he was in Pirates. I agree with you Kim that Orlando just shows us what a compassionate, caring, loving man he is and that he wants to help out however he can.

Sign in to follow this