Sign in to follow this  
Marilyn S.

9 posts in this topic

Hey. I was inspired to start this thread when I found out that Nickel Creek, one of my favorite bands, was reuniting after a seven-year break :yahoo:. They just put out a new album too. I figure many of you don't know who I'm talking about. (When I mention Nickel Creek, most people think I'm talking about Nickelback. :lol:) Nickel Creek is a bluegrass/folk band with some pop country and rock influences mixed in their music. They are also LOTR fans(at least the book) as one of the songs on their first album is called "Tom Boumbadil". My Mom and I were fortunate to see them in concert twice. I just love the way the trio harmonize both vocally and with their instruments. My favorite song of theirs is "The Lighthouse's Tale". I am a lighthouse lover so I was impressed that a modern day group would perform a song about one. Here is a link to the video for the song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR1r6S01AQ

So what are your favorite little-known bands and singers? If you want to talk about a favorite group or singer that are popular, that is cool too. Other country acts I like are Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw. Some of my other favorites are Bon Jovi, U2, Def Leppard, and Coldplay.

Good Question! Time for some Mompimping.My son Dallas and his band Grayscale and his collaboration with Windoeview. Both can be found on Youtube!

:clap:

Marilyn S., I actually have 2 Nickel Creek CDs! A couple of older, not so common CDs that I really like are Marti Jones, Used Guitars and Jem, Finally Woken.

I am editting to add Rodrigo y Gabriela - amazing guitarists!

Marilyn, I am glad you started up this thread and I noticed you are a fan of Tim McGraw! :throb: I've been a fan of his since 1998 when he released his album "Everywhere". I even got to see him and Faith in concert in 2000 when they were at the Worcester Centrum (that is what was called back then) and I got to meet Tim backstage and my picture taken with him!! :w00t: He was so nice and very easy to talk to and he actually called me sweetie! :wub:

I am also a huge fan of the Bee Gees (36 years), Kenny Loggins, Kenny Chesney and Trace Adkins. Of the ladies, I like Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Martina McBride and Olivia Newton-John. :)

I don't know of any bands or singers that not too many people know about.

Kim

Glenna-It's cool that your son is in a band. From what I've seen on YouTube, they sound good. :punk:

Junebug-Alright, somebody who has heard of them and even has a couple of their CDs. :thumbsup: While all of their albums are very good, my favorite is the first one. All of the songs on there are just great.

Kim-Wow, I did not know that you got to meet Tim McGraw in person! :w00t: That must have been an awesome experience. I saw Tim once in concert years ago when he just started becoming big(Indian Outlaw was the album out at that time). My Dad won concert tickets from a radio station. I still remember him walking out of the radio station building with his arms raised up. I think he was just excited because it was Tug McGraw's son(he was a fan of the '69 Amazing Mets). :lol: To his credit, he did say he liked Tim's music after the concert.(And that's saying a lot considering he didn't really like modern day music).

Soraya - Suddenly - talented artist who battled and lost her fight with breast cancer. This song is one of my all-time faves and has carried me through my 'creative years' here on kB. Learned about this song when I was reading one of those very early "Orlando" fanfiction that used to be popular :paperbag2: - the author interweaved a song or two between her chapters.

Hapa - Rich and melodious, this is one of my go-to groups for Hawaiian ballads when I'm feeling homesick. If you've never heard a contemporary song from the islands (more recent than 'Tiny Bubbles' :P ), here are a couple to try. Best heard when you're unwinding at the end of the day. The word 'hapa' means "part" or "mixed" ethnic culture.

Hawaiian Style Band - Oli Kono - a little bit more upbeat.

Felt like I've shared these before (strong sense of deja vu), and if I have, enjoy it the second time around.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies, will give those a try. Great thread, Marilyn.

:pulp:

I'm probably the only person left who just discovered George Ezra (famous for Budapest), and this adorable video of him and Sir Ian McKellen. The boy's voice is so beyond his years. Love.It.

Update on the son's band, GrayscalePA, they are signed to Anchor 84 records and are working with the Talent Agency Group hoping to get on the festival circuit next year and a UK tour summer of 2017.

Their debut EP Leaving is out on all digital platforms as is their second EP Change. (They are alternative rock, in the style of REM, Jimmy Eat World and New Found Glory-thinks 90's style)

Thanks for the looksee!

GRAYSCALE PA has a new CD out come February called "What we're Missing".

http://www.grayscaleband.com/

New song "Catholic" is out now.

Write UPs: http://brighterbeats.com/post/135326878030/new-noteworthy-grayscale

and Alternative Press Magazine: http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/grayscale_make_pop_punk_catchy_again_with_palette_exclusive hope you like it!

Sign in to follow this