Sunstar

79 posts in this topic

Thanks, Rene. Nice to hear how much he enjoyed working with Orlando. (No surprise there.)

(I love Sam Elliott too - really enjoying him as a very bad guy on Justified this season. Though it is weird to see him without the moustache! But that voice. *swoon* )

Oh yeah, I agree with everything you said, both Orlando and Sam Elliott. Which is why I really can't wait to see this movie. :)

Kim

Joe Swanberg will present 'Digging For Fire' as the opening selection of the 3rd annual Chicago Critics Film Festival, May 1-7, at the Music Box Theatre.

What the Critics Are Saying:

“Joe Swanberg’s starriest picture is a lovely slice of everything and nothing disguised as a murder mystery.”
-Ben Kenigsberg, Variety

“Marriage is hard, parenting is impossible, and life will always invite mystery. Swanberg and Johnson know this first hand and it’s that knowledge that empowers Digging for Fire.”
-Michael Roffman, Consequence of Sound

Thanks, Rene, for the update and the two critical reviews. I'll be interested to see the consensus after Digging for Fire opens the Chicago Critics Film Festival.

Digging for Fire will be released on August 21st, 2015 (limited).

Rooftop Films

DIGGING FOR FIRE (Joe Swanberg | USA)

Digging For Fire is a mature and poignant relationship-adventure film, centered on a couple (Jake Johnson and Rosemarie DeWitt) actively trying to reclaim their independence in an attempt to salvage their fracturing marriage. The film begins with the discovery of an old gun and a bone, which triggers something deep inside both the husband and wife, and sends the couple down two very different paths over the course of a weekend. Peppered throughout the film is an assortment of supporting characters (Brie Larson, Sam Rockwell, Anna Kendrick, Orlando Bloom, Jenny Slate and more), each tactfully inserted to serve as both a distraction and a reminder of why their relationship is worth fighting for. Ushered along by a melodic and pulsating score, Digging for Fire is a fascinating character study, brimming with insight and emotion. –S.W.

Digging for Fire opens in theaters August 21st, 2015.

Thanks for this, Rene. Sounds like a fascinating film. A limited release it won't make it to my town. Here's hoping for a wider one down the line.

I am with you Barbara, I doubt it will open up in Revere or Danvers so I don't think I will be able to see it in the theatres. But with is coming out in the theaters this means will eventually come out on DVD and Blu-Ray, so I will definitely get it when there is a release date for the DVD and Blu-Ray.

Thank you very much Rene for the update. :hug:

Kim

So glad to hear Orlando is working regularly and doing such a variety with so many great actors! I hope we get to see this one!

The next New York Film Critics Series film screening will be Joe Swanberg’s “Digging For Fire”. The pre-release screening and event will take place captured live in New York and throughout the country on Wednesday August 18th, 19th, and 20th, 2015.

EIN News

NY FILM CRITICS NATIONAL® IN-THEATER SCREENING SERIES IN PARTNERSHIP WITH IVY

AUGUST 2015 TO FEATURE “DIGGING FOR FIRE” WITH EXCLUSIVE CAPTURED LIVE APPEARANCE BY STAR JAKE JOHNSON & DIRECTOR JOE SWANBERG PRESENTED BY THE ORCHARD

New York, NY – The New York Film Critics Series® (NYFCS®), one of the leading word-of-mouth screening companies, has partnered with IVY (ivy.com) and the nation’s leading independent cinemas to present live, national, in-theater screenings. The events are moderated by Peter Travers, film critic for Rolling Stone Magazine and ABC’s Popcorn, along with additional coverage by Alison Bailes of BBC, More Magazine, WOR Radio, and The Charlie Rose Show. The series presents live, interactive, in-theater; pre-release movies and big screen HD simulcast with the stars and filmmakers. www.nyfilmcriticsseries.com

We’re excited to announce our next NYFCS film screening will be Joe Swanberg’s “Digging For Fire”. The pre-release screening and event will take place captured live in New York and throughout the country on Wednesday August 18th, 19th, and 20th, 2015. The all-star cast includes: Mike Birbiglia, Orlando Bloom, Rosemarie DeWitt, Sam Elliott, Anna Kendrick, Brie Larson, Ron Livingston, Melanie Lynskey, Chris Messina, Jenny Slate, and Sam Rockwell. The film centers on the discovery of a bone and a gun which send a husband and wife on separate adventures over the course of a weekend. “Digging For Fire” is a wonderfully layered ensemble experience paving the way for a new chapter of larger-scale filmmaking for Swanberg." The film is being distributed by The Orchard. Citi® is the Official Card of this event.

You can read the full article here.

NY Film Critics Series

NY FILM CRITICS SERIES

August 19th, 2015 at 7:00 pm. Pre-release Screening of DIGGING FOR FIRE. Live Appearance by Director Joe Swanberg and writer/star Jake Johnson.

WHAT: Special event with pre-release screening of DIGGING FOR FIRE. Live Appearance by Director Joe Swanberg and writer/star Jake Johnson. Interview and Q&A Peter Travers (Rolling Stone, ABC-TV)

WHEN: Simulcast throughout the U.S. at selected locations on Wednesday August 19th, 2015. 7pm. (Confirm start time with your local theater). NYC only (8/18)

WHERE: Various US Movie Theaters.

DESCRIPTION: Pre-release screening preceded by an exclusive NYFCS® pre-show (30 mins prior to start times). This exclusive one-time event also includes an introduction by NYFCS Host Peter Travers (Rolling Stone Magazine, ABC-TV) and an exclusive, captured live discussion with Director Joe Swanberg and writer/star Jake Johnson.

BROADCAST QUESTIONS TAKEN FROM LOCATION THEATERS.

MOVIE: DIGGING FOR FIRE - The discovery of a bone and a gun send a husband and wife on separate adventures over the course of a weekend.

Stellar Cast: Comedian MIKE BIRBIGLIA, ORLANDO BLOOM, JAKE JOHNSON (Jurassic World), ROSEMARIE DEWITT (Mad Men), SAM ELLIOTT, ANNA KENDRICK, BRIE LARSON, RON LIVINGSTON, MELANIE LYNSKEY, JENNY SLATE, and SAM ROCKWELL.

Thanks, Rene! It's showing at one of the art house theaters here. I'll have to check into it, as they don't show it on their schedule yet.

Thanks, Rene. I'm almost positive it won't turn up at one of my local screens, but, hey, you never know. A gal can at least hope.

Went back and re-read this thread, going hunting for this movie in my area for my staycation. Thanks for all the info.

I was looking for something else at Rotten Tomatoes, and saw that this has a 'fresh' rating (67%); the site also shows that the DVD release date is November 2.

This is great news! So this means both the Battle of the Five Armies and Digging For Fire will be out on DVD around the holidays! :cheer2:

Thank you so much Jan for the exciting information! :hug:

Kim

Trailer looks interesting - a bit of comedy and mystery. He seemed to have kept his accent (or some accent).

Just looking at the titles for the different reviews I can tell they are good reviews. :)

I can't wait to see this movie. :w00t:

Thank you very much Rene for posting the links. :hug:

Kim

Here are two of the Q&As from Vogue's interview with Jake Johnson:

Why did you opt for a short outline instead of a traditional script?
We had an outline so that we were able to pitch people, which had a beginning, middle, and end. With every actor coming in, we wanted them to bring their own brain and their own creativity. We know what needs to happen in a scene, but Joe, as a director, doesn’t really care how you get there, as long as it’s good. His theory is: Get good people and good things will happen.

How did Orlando Bloom get involved? Because he seems like—
An outsider. That was through the agents. He’s my surprise pick because I think he’s great in the movie. He’s the guy you don’t expect in this thing, but he brought a lot to it. A lot of his character, and what makes his character interesting, he wrote. He wanted to have a motorcycle; he wanted to get into a fight. And Joe loved all of it.

You can read the full interview here.

Yep, that is our Orlando, so I am not surprised he wanted to contribute to the project. :iheart:

Thank you Rene for posting this. :hug:

Kim

In perusing Redbox this morning to find something to rent, they have Digging for Fire (on DVD)! On my way to pick it up now. if my little 7/11 store's kiosk has it, I'm sure it's widespread.

Ugh. Don't bother. It's one of those 'ensemble' movies (as we already knew) with not one likable person in the group; I love Anna Kendrick, and she was barely there. Orlando's scenes were nice, with Rosemarie DeWitt; he was a restaurant owner, British, dressed pretty much as he normally is (I doubt this even had a costume budget). And most (if not all) of the dialogue in the movie was improv, which is probably why it's so blah. (That's why they pay screenwriters!) I haven't looked, but his brief scenes (totaling 5 minutes, if that) may even be on YouTube. I think the rental was $1.59 (?), and it's not worth much more.

Looking forward to better films coming up!