Sunstar

79 posts in this topic

The write up has me intrigued, especially the improv part. Hoping this one comes my way.

I also hope this movie comes my way as well. I still haven't seen Zulu and I have a feeling this one will be a while too before I see this one. But this movie sounds very interesting and I wonder what Orlando's part will be like. I also like how they got Sam Elliott to do the movie. :)

Thank you very much Rene for posting the article. :hug:

Kim

That is wonderful news! :clap:

Wouldn't that be nice if both Orlando and Sam Elliott are there for this and they have pictures of them together. :)

Thank you very much Rene. :hug:

Kim

Digging for Fire - 2015, U.S.A., 85min

The discovery of a bone and a gun sends a husband and wife on separate adventures over the course of a weekend.

The official Sundance Film Festival film guide is now online. Here are the screening times for Digging for Fire:

Monday, January 26, 9:45pm - DIGG126CN Eccles Theatre, Park City

Tuesday, January 27, 8:30pm - DIGG127MM The MARC, Park City

Thursday, January 29, 6:30pm - DIGG129OE Peery's Egyptian Theater, Ogden

Friday, January 30, 9:30pm - DIGG130GN Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City

Saturday, January 31, 10:00pm - DIGG131RN Redstone Cinema 2, Park City

I was just thinking about this movie yesterday wondering if I was ever going to see this. Hopefully where its being shown at Sundance it will eventually make its way to me. :)

Thank you very much Rene for the information and I hope it does well. :hug:

Kim

Here's the plot summary from Sundance.

Young married couple Tim and Lee have planted the seeds of a family in their East L.A. duplex. Three years after the birth of their son, they’re still adjusting to the joy and pain of life with kid, navigating potty talk at the dinner table, disagreeing over preschools, and putting off doing their taxes. For a change of pace, they decide to house-sit for one of Lee’s Westside yoga clients. Once there, Tim discovers something suspicious in the yard that gets the wheels in his head turning, and Lee, worried that he will become obsessed with digging deeper, decides to drop their toddler off with her mother for a much-needed night out on the town. Sans-wife, Tim invites his buddies over, and a “boys-will-be-boys” scenario ensues, full of drinking, awkward joint-passing, and perhaps getting a bit too close to a girl who isn’t the mother of his child.

Under Swanberg’s direction, Rosemarie DeWitt and Jake Johnson deliver dead-on portrayals of parents on the verge of a nervous breakdown that will ring true to anyone who has ever juggled parenthood with keeping a marriage exciting. —A.M.

You can see the first production photo here.

Sounds like its going to be a good movie. But how big of a part does Orlando and Sam Elliott have in this movie?

Anyways, I am glad to see an update for this movie. :)

Thank you so much Rene for information. :hug:

Kim

The Hollywood Reporter has a review, really more of an expanded synopsis, but it does reveal Orlando's role:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/digging-fire-sundance-review-767449

And here's the review from Variety, with a little more about Orlando's role:

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/sundance-film-review-digging-for-fire-1201416011/

I wouldn't mind being Lee, spending the night on the town with Orlando! :shiny:

That sounds like a nice movie and how ironic that Orlando is riding a motorcycle. I hope we get to see this. I still haven't seen Zulu.

Thank you very much Patty for posting the links. :hug:

Kim

I just read the review from Variety and it gives more on Orlando's role and it looks like he does a fight scene! This one also mentions Sam Elliott's role. So now I really want to see this one. :)

Kim

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has bought international rights to 'Digging for Fire', which means the film will be distributed worldwide. :) The Orchard is acquiring North American rights.

The Wrap

Sundance: Joe Swanberg’s ‘Digging for Fire’ Starring Jake Johnson Sells to The Orchard (Exclusive)

[Exclusive Update 12:45 p.m.: Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has bought international rights to “Digging for Fire,” which means the film will be distributed worldwide.]

Earlier Exclusive

The Orchard is acquiring North American rights to Joe Swanberg’s “Digging for Fire,” which Swanberg co-wrote with star Jake Johnson. The duo also produced the movie with Alicia Van Couvering.

An individual with knowledge of the negotiations told TheWrap that the deal is worth around $2 million.

The film, which made its world premiere earlier this week at Sundance, co-stars Rosemarie DeWitt, Orlando Bloom, Brie Larson, Sam Rockwell, Anna Kendrick and Mike Birbiglia. The supporting cast includes Sam Elliott, Judith Light, Ron Livingston, Melanie Lynskey Jenny Slate, Timothy Simons and Jane Adams.

“Digging for Fire” follows the discovery of a bone and a gun which sends a husband (Johnson) and wife (DeWitt) — each full of doubts about their future and anxiety about the present — on separate adventures over the course of a weekend.

After the premiere, Swanberg explained that the movie was about the realization that a marriage should be “two individuals agreeing to be in a relationship, rather than two people melting into one thing.”

“After admiring Joe’s films for a long time, it’s a dream for us to have the opportunity to work with him,” said The Orchard’s SVP of Film & TV, Paul Davidson. “We think audiences will flock to ‘Digging for Fire’ for its engaging and comedic look at adult relationships and we’re excited to work with Joe, Jake and Alicia to make that a reality.”

“I came to Sundance to find the company that loved my film the most, and would do the smartest and most aggressive job releasing it. I have found that company in The Orchard and can’t wait to start this new relationship,” added Swanberg.

This is Swanberg’s second collaboration with Johnson following ‘Drinking Buddies,’ and his second film in two years at Sundance following ‘Happy Christmas.’

“I wanted to work on ‘Digging for Fire’ to get another opportunity to work with Joe Swanberg,” said Johnson. “He is a true collaborator. His movies are essentially written by the ensemble and he wants everyone at their best. As a director, he is a true artist, and I love having the chance to work with him.”

The deal was negotiated by The Orchard’s director of acquisitions Danielle DiGiacomo and the filmmakers directly, with André Des Rochers of Gray Krauss Stratford Sander Des Rochers.

That is so awesome! We're going to see Orlando on the big screen again!!!

Can't wait.

Aliza

Joe Swanberg talks about working with Orlando in an interview with Film School Rejects.

There’s a lot of familiar faces from your past work in Digging for Fire, but it’s nice seeing Sam Elliot and Orlando Bloom in this kind of a film. Was it a departure for them?

I think it was for both of them, yeah. It was funny talking to Sam about it, because I think he was really baffled when we first got on the phone. You know, he’s such a cool guy. It was just crazy to hear his voice on the phone. He was, like, “I’m going to be honest with you, I have no idea who you are. I’ve never seen any of your movies. The people I trust say you’re doing interesting stuff and I should think about this, so I just wanted to get on the phone with you.” I just talked to him like I would’ve with any of the other actors, explaining the process, who I felt the character was, and that I wanted him to feel free to play with the other actors. I’m grateful he thought it sounded fun.

With Orlando, it was even a much more involved and rewarding experience. Orlando really embraced every aspect of it, including writing the character and being involved in the storytelling. When he signed on we spent a lot of time hanging out, just driving around, and talking about the story and who he thought the character was. I think he’s so great in the movie. It’s just not something he’s had the opportunity to do much of. Since the time he was young he just got involved in these massive franchises, and the reality of those movies is that’s your year, because it’s very difficult to get a lot of other work done. It was very cool to feel not only he had new space to play in, but that he was just so personally engaged and involved. You should expect to see him in more of my movies. There’s a lot more room to push forward with him.

You read read the full interview here

That is great news about Digging For Fire getting a worldwide release! So that means it just might be coming to Revere! :yahoo:

I also liked that interview and what Swanberg said about how much Orlando was involved in his character and I also liked that part about Sam Elliott. Now I really can't wait to see this movie! :cheer2:

Thank you so much Rene for the updates. :hug:

Kim

Most interesting. Thanks, Rene, for providing. Sounds like Orlando is totally engaged in this film and his character. Now I'm really eager to see it.

It's always nice to read that a director appreciates Orlando's efforts in preparing for roles.

Thank you, Rene.

Thanks, Rene. Nice to hear how much he enjoyed working with Orlando. (No surprise there.)

(I love Sam Elliott too - really enjoying him as a very bad guy on Justified this season. Though it is weird to see him without the moustache! But that voice. *swoon* )