Sign in to follow this  
Kim

6 posts in this topic

I am quite sure you have heard about Microsoft ending their support for Windows XP. Well I was one of those people that was still using it so I finally got myself a new computer and it has Windows 8.1 for the operating system. I love it but I am having problems with my wallpapers and putting them on the desktop background. I only want to use one picture and not the slide show, is there any way I can fix this?

Thank you

Kim

Kim, we use Windows 7 at work (just installed last week - what a MESS!), and I don't imagine it changed much with W8: What you have to do is create your own 'theme'. Then you can select a picture for your wallpaper/background. You can also use your own photos to set up the slide show. (With the Theme feature, you can go to Microsoft's site to choose ones made by other computer geeks - some of them are really great. The link is something like 'get more themes'.)

Hope this helps.

(All of it is under Control Panel/Display/Personalize, at least in W7)

Thank you Jan. I tried to get one with Windows 7 but all the new computers come with 8.1. So I got a Toshiba. I was able to figure out how to set my desktop background. Now if only I can get use to the mouse pad and figure out how to get the picture to fit my monitor that would be great. :) My latest wallpapers are a little too big for the new monitor. My latest ones are 2000 x 1600 but the monitor is 1920 x 1080. :)

Kim

Yes, it's true what Kim said, ladies. Microsoft's support for Windows XP ends at midnight, April 8, 2014. That's in less than 2 weeks, no joke. :pout:

This means no software updates, no security updates, no patches. . . no NOTHING from Microsoft until you update your operating system to at least Windows 7.

As for your Windows 8.1 computer, Kim, I can help you with your settings if you wish. :cheesy: However, the instructions you received from Jan will definitely get you started. :good:

- Pam -

Yes! I still haven't figured out on how to fit my wallpaper to the desktop background. I know how to put it there but I can't find the option where you can select from tile, full screen or center. I remember on the old system it was under control panel in the display area but when I went into the same place I couldn't find that option.

Thank you very much Pam. :hug:

Kim

Or you can open the picture n your graphics program (whichever one you use) and resize it to fit. You may have to trim it a little to fit the correct resolution.

W7 still has the tile/stretch etc. options, maybe you need to dig around some more to find out how to do it (and there's always the old 'Help!' option!). Or Google it, someone out there has undoubtedly come up with all the hows-tos. Google is always my fallback position!

Sign in to follow this