Sunstar

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Thanks, Rene. Hard to believe we're thinking in terms of the last of these films. Should be a great ride.

Oh I can't wait to see this! I also can't believe we are approaching the last film, it has been so exciting and I can't wait to see what happens in There & Back Again. :cheer2:

BTW: When does this come out? The last I heard it was suppose to be in December but while I was reading this article I saw on the side of the article that the release date was July 18th? Believe me I would love to see it come out in the Summer because then we won't have to wait as long to see our gorgeous Elf Prince again and I won't have to worry about seeing this during a snowstorm like I did with Desolation of Smaug. :leg:

Thank you Rene for posting the link and the update. :hug:

Kim

Kim, the article gives December 17 as the date the film comes out. Check out the last paragraph.

Thank you Barbara, I didn't see that. :hug:

Kim

It is great to see we have a thread for the last Hobbit film now, because it makes December feel that much nearer!

T.

What a treat! Thanks, Rene. Leonard Nimoy does not sound like an 83-year-old. Well done, Mr. N. I look forward to hearing this in the theatre, but it will be with mixed emotions. I hate to think of the trilogy ending. It seems only yesterday that Bilbo took that unexpected journey and set foot out his front door.

Fun.

But it is April 1st, you know. And I wouldn't put anything past Pete.

:)

I never even thought of that. Well, we'll find out for sure in December.

The story about Leonard Nimoy was a few facts shy of truthfulness, courtesy of the tricksy TORn staff on April Fools Day. :wink2:

Well, I enjoyed it nevertheless. My, my -- they are a tricksy bunch. Thanks, Rene, for clearing things up.

Peter Jackson has revealed a new title for the third Hobbit film via his Facebook page.

Inside Information...

Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".
When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.
And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.
As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.
Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.
And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.
It’ll be a fun year!
- Peter Jackson

YES! It will be a fun year and I am excited about the Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut! This is what I am waiting for. :cheer2:

I also like the new title and it does make sense because it looks like it will be centering on the Battle of the Five Armies. :2thumbs:

Thank you very much Rene and Sir Peter for this most exciting update! :hug:

Kim

Thank you, Sir Peter, and Rene, for passing on the name change and the reason. While I do understand that the revised name makes a great deal of sense, I have a sentimental fondness for "There and Back Again." Happy to learn that the title may indeed crop up again.

Thank you Rene and Sir Peter for bringing over the update on the third Hobbit movie and the name change and the reason. Kim, I will definitely be buying The Desolation of Smaug the extended edition and I also like the new title for the film. Looking forward to seeing The Battle of the Five Armies in December.

I know some of the interwebs blew up earlier over this.

Some of us have been here before: REVENGE of the Jedi, anyone?

OMG, 'Jedi' is on iPhone spellcheck :lol:

I'm fine with it. Just as long as the release isn't moved to a later date!

I am okay with the name change. There and Back Again never felt quite right for only part of the tale. It was Bilbo's name for the whole story. However the new title makes it feel like there will only be the battle in it, and I hope there will be a lot more!

Just think of all the toys, books and whatever that will have to be hurriedly retitled! :teehee:

Thanks Rene.

T.

A spy says Peter Jackson has approved the next Hobbit trailer.

A little earlier, a birdie landed on our mountain and informed us that Peter Jackson put his final approval on the first trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies just today.

Our first time source says that the trailer still needs to be rated, but hopefully (cross fingers) this means we’ll see marketing for the final Hobbit film cranking into gear in the near future.

- TORn

This is very exciting news! Yesterday they came out with the teaser trailer for the next Hunger Games so that made me start thinking about the teaser trailer for the next Hobbit! :w00t: So I am glad to see this little tidbit about the first trailer coming out soon! :cheer2:

This also means new production stills will be coming out soon as well and hopefully there will be a few of our favorite Elf Prince and his equally gorgeous Dad! :leg:

Thank you very much Rene for posting this exciting update! :hug:

Kim

Thanks for bringing us the trailer news, Rene. Hopefully, it won't be long until we get a peek.

My guess is that it's been readied for Comic-Con next month. This will be the last time Middle Earth will be brought to San Diego, after all. :cry: That is, assuming, that there will be a Hobbit panel, but how can there not be?

Thank you, Rene.

Good point, Faye, about the trailer being readied for ComicCon. I'm assuming the Hobbits will be there.