Sign in to follow this  
Sunstar

33 posts in this topic

Orlando will be a speaker at We Day California.

Natalie Portman and Magic Johnson bring largest youth empowerment event to California featuring Selena Gomez, Seth Rogen and Orlando Bloom

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ Today, international charity and educational partner Free The Children announced that its stadium-sized youth empowerment event, We Day, is coming to California for the first time on March 26, 2014 at Oracle Arena with the support of Co-Title Sponsors Microsoft, Allstate and Unilever. Selena Gomez, Seth Rogen and Orlando Bloom were among the first revealed as part of the star-studded lineup of speakers and performers who will take the stage at We Day California alongside 16,000 students from over 400 schools across the state.

The announcement was made at Philip & Sala Burton Academic High School in San Francisco in front of over 700 students who were joined by players from the Oakland Raiders and a surprise appearance by Glee star, Jacob Artist.

Organized by Free The Children, We Day is taking the philanthropic world by storm and going global with events in the United States, Canada and the UK. Over 180,000 youth this school year alone will come together to take part in an unprecedented educational initiative which inspires students to become active local and global citizens.

Spearheading its arrival in California are long-time Free The Children supporters and We Day California Co-Chairs, Natalie Portman, and Magic Johnson along with philanthropic thought leaders Jeff Skoll, Founder and Chairman of the Skoll Foundation, Participant Media and the Skoll Global Threats Fund and Daniel Lurie, CEO and Founder, Tipping Point Community. National businesses are also lending support to We Day including Co-Title Sponsors Microsoft, Allstate and Unilever, and professional sports teams including the Oakland Raiders, San Francisco Giants, the San Jose Sharks and the Oakland Athletics.

"I believe in the power of young people to change the world, but they need support and guidance to do so" said Natalie Portman, Academy Award-winning actress, Free The Children ambassador and Co-Chair of We Day California. "We Day helps to bring that passion to life, encouraging young people to take meaningful actions towards the issues they care about and giving them the tools to make it a reality. I'm so honored to help bring this truly impactful youth-led movement to the state of California."

The first round of speakers and performers set to attend We Day California was announced today by co-founder of Free The Children, Craig Kielburger. To date, the lineup includes:

Selena Gomez (@SelenaGomez) Actress and multi-platinum recording artist

Seth Rogen (@SethRogen) Canadian-born actor, writer, director, and producer

Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) NBA legend, two-time hall of famer, philanthropist and co-chair of We Day California

Orlando Bloom Actor and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador

Martin Luther King III Human Rights advocate and eldest son of the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lauren Miller (@IAmLaurenMiller) American actress and screenwriter

Martin Sheen Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning actor and activist

Jesse Giddings (@JesseGiddings) E! News correspondent and Free The Children ambassador

The Tenors (@TenorsMusic) Award-winning, multi-platinum vocal super group joined by up-and-coming hip hop sensation, Young Stitch (@YoungStitchSS)

Craig and Marc Kielburger (@CraigKielburger) Co-founders of Free The Children

Spencer West (@spencer2thewest) Me to We inspirational speaker, Free The Children ambassador, author and double amputee who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro

Molly Burke (@mollymetowe) Visually impaired Me to We inspirational speaker, Free The Children ambassador and author, who speaks about bullying and the power of hope

Hannah Alper 11-year-old Me to We inspirational speaker, Free The Children ambassador, blogger and youth activist

with more to be announced soon

We Day California will also see local young leaders and performers take the stage including Vocal Rush, a renowned acappella group from Oakland School for the Arts, the Oakland Youth Orchestra, dance group, Culture Shock and spoken word group, Youth Speaks.

"We are so thrilled to bring We Day to California for the first time. Since 2007 alone, youth involved in the program have raised $37 million for over 1,000 local and global causes and logged more than 9.6 million volunteer hours," said Craig Kielburger, co-founder of Free The Children. "The enthusiasm students across the state have already shown for making a difference here in California and globally is incredible and we can't wait to see what new initiatives will be sparked."

You can read the full article here.

We Day is the movement of our time, empowering a generation of young global citizens through an inspirational event and a year-long educational initiative.

We Day California

March 26, 2014

Oracle Arena, Oakland

I am so proud of Orlando for wanting to take part in this wonderful event and I have no doubt he wants to do this for Flynn as well for all the children of the world. :heart: I was also glad to see UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador next to his name. :)

Thank you for Rene for letting us know about this and I hope it will be televised. :hug:

Kim

I am also very proud that Orlando is taking part in this inspirational and wonderful event. I think it is great that he is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and he does a lot of work for charities and it shows what a wonderful and kind hearted man he is. I think it's great that he is doing this for all of the children in the world and also because he is a father now to Flynn. I also hope that this event will be televised.

Thanks for the reminder, Kim. That's an impressive line up of speakers and performers. I know Orlando will do well. Once again, kudos to him for taking part.

WeDay032614_01.jpg

Orlando gave an inspirational talk at We Day. I hope they'll post a clip.

A few quotes:

"There is no one in the world who is immune to obstacles."

"Recognize challenges for what they are - moments of growth, battle scars on your journey, badges of honour decorating your lives."

"Be present on your journey and appreciate what you have. And embrace the challenges you face. Believe me, they are your gifts."

Thanks Sunstar for bringing over the picture. Orlando looks gorgeous. I would love to see a clip of Orlando's inspirational speech. I love the quotes you posted. It is great to see Orlando doing so much to help others. He is going to Jordan with UNICEF in April to speak with Syrian refugees. It just shows what a compassionate, kind person he is and that he gives a lot of his time to help others and make a difference in their lives. It is great he is involved with a lot of charities.

Oh wow! I also hope they have a clip of his speech. I love the quotes. Also, thank you Kimberley for the update on his trip to Jordan with UNICEF to visit the Syrian refugees in April. :)

I also agree with you about what you said about Orlando and this is one of the many reasons why I love him so much. :wub:

Thank you so much Rene for posting the picture and the quotes. :hug:

Kim

I have so many thoughts about Orlando's appearance at We Day. Among them is how assured he looks in front of this huge crowd, how inspiring his speech seems to be, and how much this type of thing means to him. Other thoughts are more "inner fan girl". Thoughts such as how amazing he looks, how much he still resembles the young man we first saw as Legolas, and, He's Wearing All Those Necklaces! All that's missing is the "Little Blue Lambie".
Isn't he an amazing person?

Thanks for the pics Sunstar. Orlando looks gorgeous with the long hair and I love the necklaces he is wearing. @serendipity I agree with you that his speech is very inspirational and how assured he looked in front of the huge crowd and you can tell it meant a lot to him to be taking part in We Day. I agree with you and Kim that Orlando is an amazing person and thank you Kim for bringing over the clip of Orlando's speech. Thank you Sunstar for bringing over Orlando's speech from You Tube.

What an inspiration Orlando is! Listening to him talk about his accident and his struggle with dyslexia makes me love, respect and admire him even more than I did before. I also loved how he mentioned Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. in his speech. He is definitely the perfect role model for young people, he is someone they should be looking up to. Flynn is so lucky to him as his Dad because he will definitely teach him the right way. :heart:

Thank you so much Rene for posting the clips and the gorgeous pictures. :hug:

Kim

Thanks, Kim and Rene. That's quite an impressive speech. Well and truly said, Orlando. Loved hearing him share his story and rally his audience. I so appreciate the pictures as well as the video links. He is one exceptional young man.

@Kim Orlando is definitely a positive role model for young people. When I heard him talking about his accident and his struggle with dyslexia, it also made me admire him more than I did before. His speech was very inspiring. That was great that he mentioned Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr in his speech. I also agree with you that Flynn is lucky to have Orlando as his father. @Sunstar please let us know if you can find a full clip of Orlando's speech.

Orlando sharing the importance of We Day and its multiple meanings. He has become quite a gifted speaker. I love how he speaks from the heart. Son Flynn has an amazing role model in his dad. Thanks, Rene, for providing.

Thanks for bringing over the interviews with Orlando Sunstar. Orlando is an excellent speaker. I love how Orlando speaks from the heart with such passion. Orlando is an amazing and a positive role model for Flynn. I also liked what Orlando said in the second interview about life and obstacles and about overcoming obstacles. He is a gifted speaker.

Sign in to follow this