Sign in to follow this  
Jan

H:DoS ka-Bloomie Reviews

I just got back from seeing Smaug - and I enjoyed so much more than the first Hobbit, and not because of a *certain* Elf appearing. The 2 hours and 40 minutes seemed to fly by.

I was pleased to see that the first lifeform we saw was Peter Jackson! Then they go into the Prancing Pony and (I wasn't expecting it, but I hadn't read much about the movie ahead of time on purpose), and there was Katie Jackson serving Thorin! (I see on IMDb that Stephen Colbert was one of the spies in Laketown, but I missed it.)

I went to see it in 2D on purpose (maybe I mentioned it elsewhere, the mind is nearly gone), because when I saw the first Hobbit movie it was via 3D IMAX and I was so enthralled with the beauty and the depth that I didn't really 'click' on all the plot points until seeing it when the Blu-ray came out. :lol: I'm sure I'll don the 3D glasses at some point soon.

Perhaps I've romanticized Legolas all these years, but I never saw him quite as eager to kill as he was in this movie. Though the fact that Orcs were threatening Mirkwood may have had something to do with it. He honestly didn't look any older (and this took place how many years before LOTR? Something like 60 years?), though the contacts (which were obviously more advanced that the last go-round) kinda creeped me out. (Being so used to those chocolate orbs is the likely culprit!) The reason I really NOTICED Legolas in FOTR was because of his movement (as opposed to his looks) - so graceful and, well, stealthy. We got plenty of that movement in this film. (Orlando must have spent quite a bit of his filming time in front of a green screen!)

I love the new character of Tauriel, and Evangline Lilly was very good. I also loved Luke Evans as Bard. (The friend with me asked 'Where have I seen him before?' and I said 'In Pirates of the Caribbean as Will Turner'. She laughed.)

This chapter made me appreciate even more Martin Freeman's Bilbo. Humorous and, well, gutsy. You could see where Frodo gets it. :lol: He is wonderful at physical comedy/drama, and his face is so expressive.

Needless to say, everyone here will love it, but I want to hear what others noticed or particularly touched them. :)

I saw it today in Real D 3D HFR (High Frame Rate). . . whatever that is. :beatsme:

It's early still, today being the first day and all, so I'm not going to post a full review at this point, but I will say that I REALLY enjoyed it and our wonderful Prince Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood is still as sprightly, talented, gorgeous, and fierce as we remember from the three previous films. . . that happen 60 years later ??? Whatever.

There is one cute scene where he is jumping from the top of one dwarf's head to the next as they travel downriver in wooden barrels. Pretty hilarious considering he was fighting Orks at the time, meaning it was also quite scary.

:nails:

Oh. . . and Benedict Cumberbatch makes a FABULOUSLY SCARY :O dragon!

- Pam -

Pam, I moved your post to this new topic. And Spoilers are allowed in here. Yay!

I'm sure I'll don the 3D glasses at some point soon.

Jan, you're not going to want to give them back (put them in the recycle box outside of the theatre). Even I, Miss Treehugger, hesitated for a couple of seconds. They look different (light grey instead of black and have The Hobbit printed on them) than normal 3D glasses do. :lookie:

Pam, I moved your post to this new topic. And Spoilers are allowed in here. Yay!

That's fine, honey, I understand. I just wasn't sure where else to post my comments. :beatsme: Thanks! :highfive:

- Pam -

Thanks, Jan and Pam. I'll see Smaug & Company on Tuesday. Looking forward to it even more after reading your reviews.

Thanks for your reports Jan and Pam. I was intending to go yesterday but I worked late and have a bad cold so it will probably be Monday now.

T. :treeblue:

I could not believe that was almost a 3 hour movie. It did fly by! I was surprised by how much Legolas was in it. Oh, how I've missed him. :wub:. It was funny how I worried about Legolas and Gandalf dying a few times, but then laughed at myself since duh, we know they live. :lol:

I didn't care for Tauriel much. That's my feelings for her "Lost" character creeping in. Hopefully with multiple viewings I'll get over that.

I saw it in 3D Imax. I also want to see it in regular 2D. There were several scenes that were really creepy and surreal and I'm curious to see if the 3D enhanced it, because I think it did. I also want to see it in HFR. I never saw the first one that way. I've read mixed things about HFR and want to see the difference for myself.

I'm glad they didn't reveal too much of Smaug in trailers and pictures etc. beforehand. We've waited almost two movies to see him and he did not disappoint!

I left the theater with a big smile on my face and feeling more like I did after seeing one of first trilogy's movies. I can't wait to see it again! :cheer2:

Thanks, Karen, for your review. Can't wait until Tuesday, my day to see Legolas and the whole gang.

Karen, I never watched Lost, so maybe that helped. :lol:

It was all I could do to NOT go see it again today. Seems like old times.

Tahiri, I hope you're feeling better soon.

After reading your reviews, Jan, Pam and Karen, I am even more anxious to see the Hobbit and Legolas on Tuesday and I will be watching it in 3D! :w00t:

Yes, I am going to see Legolas in 3D and I already told my Dad you might have to help me out of the theater after its over. :lol:

Thank you so much Jan, Pam and Karen for your great reviews. :hug:

Kim aka Aranes :leg:

Oh Legolas how I've missed you! My sweet sister treated me to a night out at the theater. We were both looking forward to watching The Hobbit, me more so than her for obvious reasons! I saw it in 2D as 3D tends to give me headaches. Peter Jackson did not disappoint! I loved seeing him in opening shot. I don't want to get into too much detail about the movie but I did squeal and clap my hands like a school girl when our lovely Elf graced the screen :-) I agree with Jan, the eyes are a bit creepy this time around. In LOTR they were a deeper blue where as in the Hobbit they're more of an ice blue. My sister commented that he's angrier in his film than in LOTR. I prefer the term smoldering though and he does it well! My sister said that Gimli and Aragorn obviously brought out his fun side lol. He still looks amazing as Legolas just a bit bigger, I'm sure some of that is due to physique but also his armor. His fighting skills are still stellar but it was a bit surprising to see him getting hit and thrown around by a certain Orc :-/ I did like Tauriel, I thought she carried herself as an Elf well and it was nice to see a woman taking out some Orcs too! The little love triangle that Peter has laid out is interesting and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Bard was great as well, I think Peter did an excellent job casting him. I know I didn't go into great detail but I do plan on watching it again soon, so I'm sure I'll be back with more input!

My sister commented that he's angrier in his film than in LOTR.

Yes! That was what I was struck by - in spite of the 'heavier' feel in LOTR, he didn't seem so, well, angry. (Except when he was killing Uruk-Hai! :lol: )

I went yesterday afternoon, and my mind is STILL stuck in Middle Earth. Such a great movie, all around. I was very pleased to see so much of Legolas, he had a lot of screen time. I figured what we glimpsed in the trailer would be it, but he just kept popping up like the Energizer Bunny. Like you, Karen1138, I also worried about him getting killed, even though we know he survives. :doh: I also found his eyes to be a little "off" color-wise. I enjoyed hearing all the Elvish spoken, too. He only says a few things in LOTR, much more here.

Kili is my favorite dwarf, so his extra screen time was a bonus. I absolutely LOVED how Sauron was revealed, it was visually stunning. Luke Evans as Bard was nice to see, too.

Is it wrong of me to love Smaug, too? He was just awesome, so well done between the voice and how he looked. I don't want him to meet his fate now.

The icing on the cake for me was seeing Orlando's billing in the credits: "Orlando Bloom as Legolas" - such a nice surprise. I'm one very proud ka-Bloomie! :cheesy:

Christa

In The Two Towers at Helm's Deep, the killing was more a contest between Legolas and Gimli. That gave it a lighter touch IMO.

:lol:Jan, that reminds me of the movie Elf. He's an angry elf!

Christa, the transformation (?) into Sauron was one of my favorite parts. Very cool!

Christa, thanks for your review. I have so much to look forward to when I see the film on Tuesday.

I went to see the midnight show on Thursday and I was way too sleepy to take it all in. I'm planning to go back because of course I loved it. I'm a hopeless movie reviewer, so just let me say that it is short on the endless combat scenes and much longer on story development. They didn't have so much of Azog, which is alright in my book. The fights that did exist were stunning, especially Legolas and Tauriel's work. I thought I was going to hate the barrel scene as it is so far from cannon but I loved that scene, it was very well done. I did not have any problem with Evangeline Lilly, and I was a big Lost fan. I thought she was very good as Tauriel. I loved seeing PJ in the opening scene but I missed Steven Colbert. I really want to see it again. Maybe one evening this week but definitely by the weekend. It was a real special treat to see Orlando on screen again, he had a lot of screen time. (Remember those rumors that he was getting paid millions of dollar for 2 minutes of screen time? Ha I say!) And he does look gorgeous and unchanged from LOTR. :leg:

I really can't wait until I can see it again.

:hug:

Aliza

Just a little over 24 hours to go before my date with Legolas! :cheer2:

Thank you very much Christa and Aliza for your great reviews. :hug:

Wow, that was awesome and He was awesome. No other word for it. (and that was only in 2D!)

Our favourite elf did look a bit more mature but there is not a lot they could do about that. I had no problem with his eye colour. I thought it was a bit more realistic than last time, but then I never saw any of LOTR on the big screen. (sob) I can't wait for the dvd to see some of the action a bit more slowly/clearly.

Heard from the row behind when we got the first clear view of Legolas - "Is that the same actor" in a tone of mild surprise.

They have departed from the detail of the original story far more than in LOTR but in this book that is an improvement. The Hobbit was originally written for youngish children and made its heroes look like a bunch of fools at times. Serious Tolkien fans are giving it a better reception than I expected.

Thorin and company's impressive attempt to kill Smaug is obviously included to make a nice big set piece at the end of the second part. But we have been left with so many incidents in progress I feel they will need a recap at the start of the next film. I don't like cliff hangers when there is so long to wait.

I suspect a need for handkerchiefs for the next film but it depends how this version goes.

Now how can I sneak in another viewing before xmas?

T.

Thanks, Tahiri, for your review. Hope you can get another viewing in before Christmas.

Thank you Tahiri for your great review! :hug: My date with Legolas is a little over 3 hours away! :cheer2:

Barbara, you and me will both be going to see The Hobbit today and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I will. :iheart:

I just got back from my date with Legolas and I absolutely enjoyed it and my mind is still in Middle Earth. I don't want to give too much away for those that haven't seen it yet but I saw it in 3D at the IMAX and I was completely blown away by the action, the special effects and of course Legolas. I could see what the others were talking about how different Legolas' eyes were but I didn't think they were creepy, I thought they were beautiful and mesmerizing, even now I can still see those beautiful, brilliant blue eyes in my mind. :hott: And yes Legolas did seem a lot more intense and angrier in this then he was in LOTR. :throb: Also, there was one scene where Legolas was looking at Gloin's pictures of his family and I love the line where Legolas' asked him "who is this mutant?", I couldn't help but smile when when he told him it was Gimli. :) I also loved the scenes in Mirkwood, it was exactly the way I thought it would look. I also liked Tauriel, I thought Evangeline Lilly did a great job and Lee Pace I thought was perfect as Thranduil.

Everybody was terrific from Martin Freeman to Luke Evans to Richard Armitage and yes, Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect voice for Smaug.

I definitely can't wait to see this again and I learned from my friend, Linda this morning she is hoping to go see it on Saturday, so it looks like I might be seeing The Hobbit and Legolas twice in one week! :cheer2:

I don't have anything scintillating to add that hasn't already been covered. I enjoyed my journey to Middle Earth. Of course, it was lovely seeing Legolas back in action. I wondered, though, why he was more intense, angrier and more lethal as a young(er) elf. This was not the Legolas of LOTR. Could be because his homeland was being invaded by orcs. That would get anyone's blood to boiling and understandlably rev up his (or her) killing skills. Or perhaps he'd mellowed a tad with age and experience when we saw him in LOTR. Favorite characters besides Legolas ... Tauriel, Bilbo (Martin Freeman is perfect as the hobbit burglar), Bard, Gandalf, Radagast (I was hoping for more of him), Smaug (wonderfully voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch), Balin and Kili, who has a bit of a thing going with Tauriel. I was pleased to see so much screen time for Legolas. I appreciate the heads up on Peter Jackson's appearance. I would have missed him if I hadn't been forewarned. I hope to return to ME again -- just not sure when.

I am glad you enjoyed your journey to Middle Earth just as much as I did Barbara. I also agree with you about Legolas and it could be because he is younger and the fact that his homeland is under attack by orcs, spiders and also being around his Father, that could also be making him more intense.

:heart:

Kim

Sign in to follow this