Sign in to follow this  
Raven

5 posts in this topic

Excerpt from the review in the NY Times (online version :find: ):

"On the other hand, Mr. Bloom, famous for being handsomely heroic in the “Lord of the Rings” and “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchises, keeps surprising. For once, we have a Romeo who evolves substantively, from a posturing youth in love with love to a man who discovers the startling revelation of real love, with a last-act descent into bilious, bitter anger that verges on madness.

The final, blood-soaked scene in the Capulet family tomb, which has been considerably truncated here, feels almost like a hastily scribbled postscript. The show’s pinnacle of loss has been scaled a couple of scenes earlier, when Romeo, mistakenly believing that Juliet is dead, buys poison.

“The world is not thy friend,” he tells the seedy apothecary (Spencer Plachy), but he’s talking to himself. At that moment, Mr. Bloom’s eyes burn black with fathomless despair, and we lament the memory of how those eyes once radiated visions of endlessly beautiful love."

He keeps surprising!? Just look at him, he's the perfect Romeo!

:wave:

Raven

Thank you, Raven for posting the part of the NY Times review about Orlando´s acting.

Looks like they still don´t give Orlando the true credit for his acting talent he really deserves.

This makes me kinda sad. :(

But it is not that nor too bad in the end.

At least they have some good things to say about him. Still not enough in my eyes.

For those who wants to read the whole review,

here´s the link New York Times Theatre Review

* I found two others:

Here´s the review from Variety

Here are some reviews from Broadway World.com

~ Dear Moderators: If any of these postings of mine is not allowed or non-authorized, than please feel free to delete it ~

*Chinny*

Thanks, Raven, for the NY Times review quote. Some lovely things said about Orlando. The links provided by Chinny are not quite so flattering. Appreciate your providing them, Chinny. I'm taking the latter with a grain of salt, and am eager to get feedback from our ka-Bloomie sisters who will be attending.

I can't believe it! :angry: The critics will never give Orlando a break no matter what he does, he gives the best performance of his career and they still bash him, so once again I will be avoiding all reviews like the plague. :(

Besides I rather go by the audience's reaction and I also eagerly await my fellow Ka-bloomies' reviews.

But at least the NY Times' comment for Orlando's acting was a good one.

Kim

Welshwoman and Kim ~

So sorry, if these links I´d posted about other reviews of the play are not very positive, as we would expect they´ll be. :(

It´s the press and mostly, these reviews of certain columnists are always very critical and bad. I think they do this deliberately.

Well, they think, that we as fans are not always that objective.

I think, that Orlando´s talent is often underestimated in many ways.

THAT is what makes it so sad and frustrating for us.

WE know, what potential he has and we´ll root for him no matter what.

I´ll keep my hope up high, that he gets the reward he deserves.

~ means rave reviews and the respect of the press.

*Chinny*

* EDIT one time: I´ve just found another review from the Los Angeles Times.

~ and not so positive either :(

Even if some of the reviews gives Orlando a first-rate Broadway debut ~

'> ´Romeo and Juliet´on Broadway: What did the critics think?

Sign in to follow this