Sign in to follow this  
Nette

3 posts in this topic

This is the adventure of several Ka-Bloomies so we'll try to post all together if we can. It's a long story, so I'll probably have to post in parts (especially since the board is having a bad morning).

Seven Ka-Bloomies set out this past weekend on a quest to find a precious treasure know as Orlando. After a few hundred miles, many gallons of gas, a couple of nearly run red lights (and one we wished we had run- but didn't), we succeeded in our mission. We found the precious one (and so much more).

My part of the tale begins in the middle. I'll leave the beginning to those who were there.

I arrived at MBailey's house on Thursday evening to hear a first hand accounting of HR's DYC encounter. She was gracious enough to hug me on the spot and let me feel her cheek where Orlando kissed her. Sweet! I thought for sure her hace would split in two from that great big smile she couldn't get off her face. MBailey and I went driving around downtown and nearly ran a red light when we found the production trucks, then lost them again. We'd have to hunt them down the next day.

On Friday, MBailey, HR (and her 3 adorable munchkins), Adrienne, and I joined KYbabe, SarcasticCheese, Solana, and YoungatHeart for lunch at Deke's (where Orlando lunched earlier in his stay in Louisville). By this time we had required a vehicle upgrade to a van to accomodate so many ka-Bloomies. (Thanks KYbabe's mom!)

HR, her kids, and Adrienne headed home and the rest of us headed to the airport to pick up TwinklesGirl. Since no one thought to ask how to identify each other, we ended up descending on several unsuspecting women in the baggage claim area. Does one ask for TwinklesGirl or if she's a ka-bloomie? We settled for asking ladies for her real name, finally found her, and descended en mass on her somewhat overwhelmed but darling person.

Next, we got stuck in a traffic jam, but that gave us an opportunity to get to know our newest member.

We had dinner at Friday's on Fourth St. Live (couln't get into Hard Rock without a wait and we were starving). Fourth St. Live is also a place Orlando has spent some time while in Louisville.

Then it was off to Cave Hill Cemetery.

Cave Hill is a huge and very lovely cemetery in Louisville. HR had noted the trucks there earlier in the day, but couldn't go in to see what was going on.

We (MBailey, Kybabe, SarcasticCheese, Solana, YoungatHeart, TwinklesGirl, and me) arrived about 7 pm and stocked up on water (at a local gas station), used the facilities (at the local Dud's and Sud's-yuck), and waited. And waited. And waited. People and vehicles came and went out the front entrance where we stood. Teenies (with very obnoxious moms) came to wait. A vehicle with Orlando's body guard inside came out of the gait and parked across at the gas station where several of the trailers were parked. Orlando's dog got out, but no Orlando. Cameron Crowe came out and walked right on by us. I think he assumed we wouldn't know him or were just there for Orlando, but someone flagged him down and he was very gracious to sign several autographs and take pictures. :clap:

It finally got to be about 10:30 and it was completely dark out. The vehicle Orlando's dog had been in game back toward the gate, this time with Orlando inside. Sneaky bugger! :w00t:

The security guards let small groups of people step up to the vehicle and Orlando signed things and spoke with each person one at a time. They weren't allowing any pictures, so sadly, there are none to accompany the tale.

We let the teenies go first so we could get them (and their squealing) out of the way. Finally, our group lined up. Orlando was sitting in the passenger seat. They had a dim map light on so he could see what he was signing. He spoke to each one of us. I could hear his converstation with YoungatHeart (who was in front of me) and I wanted desperately to step up and tell Orlando it would be her birthday in an hour, but they were having such a nice chat, I couldn't bring myself to interupt.

Eventually, it was my turn. I stepped up to the door and it's as if those 45 seconds moved in slow motion. He is just as genuine and lovely as everyone has said. I gave him my TTT DVD insert to sign and he asked me how I was. We did the usual "fine, how are you." I couldn't tell you now what he was wearing or even his exact words. I was mesmerized by 3 things:

One: he looked me square in the eyes. It was too dark to see the color well, but the sincere look was one I will never forget.

Two: the voice. He could have been talking about soap scum for all I know--- I just remember it was soft as velvet and had only a light British accent, but a lovely lilt.

Three: the hands. This part I can replay in super slow-mo. I can see him signing his signature: first the heart, then the name, then the X. He handed it back to me and told me it was nice to meet me (again while looking me square in the eyes). Then it was the next person's turn.

Everyone in our group took her turn standing 6 inches in front of Orlando for some one on one conversation. No weak knees. No shaking. No squealing. Just nice mature ka-Bloomies having a chat with one amazing (and tired) man. He finished signing and went back into the cemetery for more shooting. We piled into our van. Once inside with the doors and windows all shut tight we SQUEED like teenies and gushed our little hearts out.

So much for mature ka-Bloomies, but at least we held it together in front of Orlando. :whistle:

Then it was back to rest up for the next day.