Sunstar

113 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed that interview with Orlando. Thanks Sunstar. I am proud of Orlando playing Romeo on Broadway. I have always thought that Orlando was a gifted and a talented actor. It is interesting to hear that he has said that being on stage has changed him and that he has grown from the experience. I am looking forward to seeing more of Orlando's future projects. I definitely want to see Zulu because it is a different role for him and sounds like an intriguing story.

We lost last year's Cannes Film Festival photo thread, so I'm posting these new / old photos here.

Zulu_PhotocallCannes_94.jpg

Zulu_PhotocallCannes_95.jpg

- Pathé

Zulu has won the 10th Prix Jacques Deray for "Best French Police Film of the Year"!

Institut Lumière

For 2014, the 10th Prix Jacques Deray goes to Jérôme Salle film Zulu, adapted from the novel by Caryl Férey with Orlando Bloom and Forest Whitaker. The film, which takes place in South Africa, is an opportunity to dive back into this country that has marked recent events after the death of Nelson Mandela. It was screened at the closing of the Festival de Cannes 2013.

The award will be presented to Jerome Salle on Saturday, February 8 at the Institut Lumière.

Lovely to see these pictures. Thanks, Rene. And big congratulations to Zulu for winning the 10th Prix Jacques Deray.

I love these pictures of Orlando and Forest! :wub: This one of the reasons why I want to see this movie so much is because I can't wait to see Orlando and Forest in this together. I've been a fan of Forest Whitaker ever since he played Cuffee in the TV Mini-Series Classic, North & South and I just saw him receive the Joel Siegel Humanitarian Award at the Critics Choice Movie Awards the other night, Forest definitely deserved it, so I think its great that Orlando got to work with him in Zulu and I can tell by their expressions that they enjoyed working together. :)

Also, congratulations on winning the 10th Prix Jacques Deray! :cheer2:

Thank you so very much Rene for posting the pictures and telling us the exciting news. :hug:

Kim

Do we know when this is opening in the US?

I haven't found a US release date yet, Aliza. These are the dates listed on IMDb so far (Netherlands release date has changed from January to April):

Switzerland 4 December 2013
France 4 December 2013
Morocco 25 December 2013
Greece 9 January 2014
Belgium 29 January 2014
Netherlands 3 April 2014

I don't understand this, what are they waiting for? Why isn't it coming out here in the U.S.? I hope and pray they let us know soon.

Thank you Rene for letting us know.

Kim

Thanks Rene for posting that, I had seen it myself but was hoping someone else had more. I just saw The Butler and Forrest Whittaker was so amazing in that, he is riding on a wave of glory so I think Zulu should be released asap to take advantage of his name recognition. I agree with Kim, just what are they waiting for?

I also just saw The Butler Aliza and I thought that Forest Whittaker did an amazing job. He is a terrific actor. Zulu should be released as soon as possible. I really want to see Zulu because this is a different role for Orlando and it sounds like Orlando has done an amazing job in it. I like the fact that Orlando and Forest are in a movie together. Maybe critics will now see what a talented actor Orlando is. I hope Zulu will be shown in theatres internationally. Thanks Sunstar for bringing over the info that Zulu has won the 10th Prix Jacques Deray. Congratulations to Zulu and I am crossing my fingers they bring Zulu to theatres in Canada.

Zulu will be released in Germany on May 1, 2014.

Screen Daily

Zulu lined up as first release for Studio Hamburg Enterprises.

Jérôme Salle’s action thriller Zulu, the closing film at last year’s Cannes Film Festival, is to be the first release of Studio Hamburg Enterprises (SHE) which has now expanded into theatrical distribution in the German market.
The 50-50 joint venture between Studio Hamburg Distribution & Marketing and ZDF Enterprises had already been involved in the acquisition of international feature film and TV licenses for release on DVD and Blu-Ray, but had used other distributors in the past to handle the theatrical releases.
Booking and billing on the May 1 release will be handled on behalf of SHE by the 24 Bilder agency.

I'm happy for Orlando's German fans. Now we need to hear about the U.S. release. PLEASE, POWERS THAT BE!!!

Thanks Sunstar for bringing over the news about Zulu. I hope Zulu will be released in Canada as well. I really want to see Orlando in this film and it sounds like a very intriguing film.

Thanks Rene for bringing over the news. I wonder when Zulu will be released onto DVD in other parts of the world? I know you can order it off of Amazon France but I didn't order it because I didn't know if the DVD would play on my DVD player. I hope it's also released soon on The US Amazon site. I really would love to see this movie.

Thanks, Rene. Hopefully, there will be pictures and an interview -- maybe more than one.

I wonder when Zulu will be released onto DVD in other parts of the world? I know you can order it off of Amazon France but I didn't order it because I didn't know if the DVD would play on my DVD player. I hope it's also released soon on The US Amazon site. I really would love to see this movie.

You and me both! I am just about ready to give up on ever seeing this movie. :(

Thank you Rene for the update. :hug:

Kim

Here's the link to a report (in German, however, with piccies!) of "Hamburger Abendblatt" on yesterday's premiere in Hamburg:

http://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article127656637/Aufgeregte-Fans-belagern-Orlando-Bloom-in-Hamburg.html

As I had to rise very early today (4:20h!) I couldn't go to Hamburg yesterday, although it's only about 40 min. from here but obviously he was not all alone :) .

:wave:

Raven

When I tested the link, it did not give the complete article but only the headline and the page expects you to log in. To see at least the pictures, go back to Home>Hamburg and you will find at the right hand side "Top Bilder". If you click here on the piccie with Orlando it should work (hopefully).

Raven

Stuttgarter-Zeitung

Google translation -

Interview with Orlando Bloom

Stuttgart - If you think Orlando Bloom has mostly still Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in mind, with the Brit as the same fighter Legolas 13 years before the breakthrough. Or maybe his role as Will Turner in the no less successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" episodes. Away from his return to Middle Earth with "The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug" last winter, the 37-year-old has recently been rather scarce on the screen. Now he returns with the thriller "Zulu" back, with which he is further away than ever from his image as a young hunk. In an interview with Patrick Heidmann he talks about muscles, tattoos, dieting, and his two fathers.

Mr. Bloom, a tattooed, saufender cop with an almost adult son is not necessarily a role as we know it from you. A conscious U-turn?

Quite. "Zulu" was like a gift for me. Time to get such a chance, and not merely to be Orlando Bloom, the heartthrob. I do not want to complain. It was great to play a major role in two incredibly popular trilogies. Both myself and many others have earned good money, so it's logical that you put only once in such a drawer. But in the past five or six years, I have fought to get back out there. Even with myself.

Really?

Sure, a large part of the pressure I felt after the success of "Lord of the Rings" - and "Pirates of the Caribbean," I put on myself. I also had to prove to myself that I'm ever changeable. On the one hand this is a process that you can't control. Because of course it grows out of the role schema of the young pretty boy quite inevitably out sometime. One is older, and Hollywood pounces meanwhile on the next trendy guy. But his new place that you have to somehow find themselves. Among other things, with a role as Brian Epkeen in "Zulu".

Was it helpful that you had to change physically for this role?

Sure, something always helps roles. But the thing was tedious too. For the tattoos you sit quite a long time in the mask. And the muscles were associated with a fairly strict protein diet and lots of exercise with weights. My coach was also my cook! For the last three months which meant almost exclusively mountains of boiled chicken breast and fish, unseasoned and even without sauce. A more boring food can hardly be imagined.

They show the new toned body in "Zulu" quite liberally. So you do not know you.

Haha, you're right! Before, I would have not have dared do so from self-confidence. I pull myself not necessarily about keeping my naked butt in the camera. But the fact that I was physically for the film in the shape of my life, the thing has definitely made easier. Ultimately fact, it was pretty funny, continue walking around with nothing but a sock, called a cock sock, on the set and seeing for two days, like everyone else always tried frantically to look away. However, I have now before not necessarily to define the new chapter of my career on freedom of movement. Since my acting challenges are more important, like my Broadway debut recently.

You shot "Zulu" in South Africa. Is that really such a dangerous place?

I did not feel unsafe, but they still gave me a former police officer as a bodyguard. Only at the end of the shoot, I learned that someone was murdered during a robbery shortly before in my neighborhood. The enormous gap between rich and poor, the aftermath of apartheid, the big drug problem - the potential for conflict there is not to be underestimated.

But you also have a personal connection to the country?

That's true, if rather loosely. Harry Bloom, the husband of my mother, whom I took for my father a long time, was a South African lawyer, reporter and writer who was also politically and socially very active in the fight against apartheid. When I arrived for the filming of "Zulu" in South Africa, that was my very first trip to the country. The producer of the film gave me the book "Jewish Memories of Mandela", in which Harry was on some pages. Even with a picture! As a white Jew in South Africa, who fought for equal rights for blacks, he was then, of course, a special feature. And certainly something like the proverbial candle in the wind.

Could you discuss with him your experience there?

No, unfortunately not. He died when I was four years old. As a teenager, I found out that my biological father is actually someone else. But I grew up with the idea that Harry Bloom was my father. Therefore my emotional relationship was so strong to him and the visit to South Africa personally particularly interesting and touching.

"Lord of the Rings" you have mentioned, and for the last two "Hobbit" parts you have returned to the role of Legolas. Have you not hesitated with this offer?

Not really. Peter Jackson is just such an incredible, unique good director that I would do everything he offers me. I would jump from any cliffs, if he asks me, I trust him so much. I owe him the first great opportunity of my career, my breakthrough, so to speak. That's why I am just happy to be able to return to his Middle-earth family.

Did it feel again as it was back then?

One can not say that. When we were shooting the "Lord of the Rings" movies, we were all so young. This was a completely new experience and was a very special time in our lives and our careers. Today I have experienced quite differently, because the circumstances were quite different. However, I was delighted that New Zealand presented itself to me almost unchanged. And Peter is anyway still the same. Just a crazy guy and the biggest Tolkien nerd, which you can imagine.

Thanks for providing, Rene. Orlando's candor is so refreshing -- also his eagerness to grow as an actor and to embrace grittier roles. His admiration for Sir Peter is lovely to see. I'm not sure about some of the translated phrases, but I definitely got the gist of the interview. I appreciated Orlando's speaking of his connection to South Africa through Harry Bloom.

Fingers crossed for a wide release for Zulu.

Thanks for providing, Rene. Orlando's candor is so refreshing -- also his eagerness to grow as an actor and to embrace grittier roles. His admiration for Sir Peter is lovely to see. I'm not sure about some of the translated phrases, but I definitely got the gist of the interview. I appreciated Orlando's speaking of his connection to South Africa through Harry Bloom.

Fingers crossed for a wide release for Zulu.

Barbara, I agree with everything you said about this wonderful interview and what Orlando said from his career to Harry Bloom. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Thank you very much Rene for posting this great interview. :hug:

Kim

Thanks for bringing us another nice interview with Orlando. I could tell he was very excited about the movie, and the opportunity it gave him to show that he was more than a pinup. All fingers crossed that it is received well, and brings more of the same.
I couldn't help but be reminded of KOH when he spoke of his "special diet" to bulk up. Lamb tagine, anyone?

The lamb tagine Orlando ate for KOH must have been so much more appetizing than unseasoned, boiled chicken!

Thanks so much for this interview, Rene.

It's kind of amusing to read Orlando's responses that were translated from English into German, then back into English. Much was lost in the filtering, it seems.

Anyway, it's always enjoyable to read (or watch) interviews with our man. He seems to always hold onto his enthusiasm for his art. I suppose that is mostly because of the interesting choices he makes for his roles. They keep him growing and learning new things.

Thank you Rene for bringing over this interview with Orlando. I love the fact that Orlando wants to take on grittier roles and try new things. You can see that he wants to grow as an actor and I think it's great that he is doing Indie films. I love how he speaks of Sir Peter Jackson. I agree with you Welshwoman on appreciating Orlando speaking of his connection to South Africa through Harry Bloom. I also am hoping that there will be a wide release for Zulu because I really want to see Orlando in his role as Brian Epkeen. I also love his enthusiasm that he has for acting because you can clearly see he loves what he does. I agree with you Serendipity that I also hope that Zulu is received well and it also made me think of the time when Orlando was doing Kingdom of heaven and how he had to bulk up for his role as Balian. I now want to see Zulu now more than ever. I also can see why Orlando wants to be seen as more than just a heartthrob and is doing different roles to step away from that image.