Sunstar

113 posts in this topic

Shooting officially began today:

Shooting Begins In S. Africa On Forest Whitaker Crime Drama 'Zulu' (Alexandre Desplat Scoring)

Shooting officially began today in Cape Town, South Africa, on the Forest Whitaker/Orlando Bloom crime drama Zulu, which is based on French author Caryl Férey’s award winning crime novel of the same name.

The film is being directed by French helmer Jérôme Salle - his first film in English.

Recapping.. Set against the backdrop of post-apartheid South Africa, Whitaker (in a role that was initially assigned to Djimon Hounsou) and Bloom will play two South African police officers on opposing sides of the apartheid divide, who work together to fight crime.

Here's the film production company's description of the filmed version of the novel:

As a child, Ali Neuman narrowly escaped being murdered by Inkhata, a militant political party at war with Nelson Mandela's African National Congress. Only he and his mother survived the carnage of those years. But as with many survivors, the psychological scars remain. Today, Ali is chief of the homicide branch of the South African police in Cape Town. One of his staff is Brian Epkeen, a free-wheeling white officer whose family was originally involved in the establishment of apartheid but who works well with Neuman. Together they have to deal with crime that inevitably exists in sprawling areas of un -and under- employed people, crime exacerbated by gangs, both local and from other parts of Africa. Their job gets even more difficult when the corpses of two young women are found. A new evil has been introduced in the city and a new drug has been introduced to its residents, including both murder victims. At the chaotic crossroads where brutality and modernization collide, the echoes of apartheid still resound in the shadows of a society struggling toward reconciliation.

When this was first announced in February, Djimon was to play Ali Neuman, and Bloom, Brian Epkeen. Now Whitaker will play Ali Neuman.

Director Salle is directing from his own script adaptation of a novel that has been reviewed fairly well. A few months ago, Tamara Brown wrote a Book-To-Film report on this project for S&A, which you can read HERE.

The film is a French/English/South African co-production by Pathé, M6 Films, and Lobster Film.

French film composer Alexandre Desplat working on the soundtrack. Desplat has received four Academy Award nominations, five BAFTA nominations, five Golden Globe nominations, and two Grammy nominations. Among various projects, Desplat has worked on a variety of Hollywood films including independent and commercial successes like The Queen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moorise Kingdom, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, The King's Speech, and many others.

Shooting started today, and will end on December 6.

IndieWire

So, Zulu has officially begun and I can't wait to see Orlando and Forest together in this, I just know they will be terrific together and it sounds like a very different part but an emotional one for Orlando to play because of his Stepfather's history. :2thumbs:

Thank you so much Rene for the exciting update. :hug:

Kim

They started filming ?

Yay!! :2thumbs:

So excited for pictures of Orlando, too!

Thank you for sharing the article and great news, Sunstar.

ETA:

Wanted to add something I just found.

Here is a picture of two Orlando fans, who posted this image on their Twitter account:

"Orlando get in shape in Cape Town"

click here

I´m thinking for quite some while now, that Mr. Bloom has gained some muscles during this summer. Reminded me on filming of "Kingdom of Heaven". Does suit him very well.

*Chinny*

Edited by CaliMom
Merged double posts and changed photo to a clickable link

Oh wow! Orlando is looking gorgeous and how I wish I could be those two lucky women. :hott:

Thank you so much Chinny for sharing this with us. :hug:

Kim

I found an article about Zulu on a French website, and just for the fun of it ran it through google translator. It's pretty much what we've already seen, but I did love this part of the translation.

"In South Africa apartheid still haunted by two policemen, Ali Neuman, black (Forest Whitaker) and Brian Epkeen, white (Orlando Bloom), wild chase the murderer of a young girl, daughter of a rugby player Springboks. The townships of Cape Town luxury villas to the sea, this investigation will change the lives of both men and force them to confront their inner demons."

Ya gotta love google. :blink:

Oh wow, I am really looking forward to seeing this movie and the more I read about Orlando's role the more I can't wait to see him playing it because I have a feeling he will blow me away with another outstanding performance. :throb:

Thank you so much Serendipity for telling us about the article. :hug:

Kim :police:

Here's the Google translation of an interview from TF1 News:

Orlando Bloom for Zulu: "I want to continue to amaze"
on December 4, 2013 at 10:38
NEWS CINE-TV INTERVIEW. In "Zulu", the French director Jérôme Salle gives (finally) the ability to Orlando Bloom to overcome his image. And Hollywood actor is doing very well. Meeting with the star at the last Cannes Festival.
At the helm of "Zulu", this adaptation of a bestselling novel by Caryl Férey he co-wrote with his friend writer Julien Rappeneau, Jérôme Salle, the director of "Largo Winch" rejects once again the ease by turning on site South Africa to soak up the atmosphere by inviting celebrities and coping with contingencies that we imagine beefy. The execution does not lack talent, the incarnation either. Proof: Orlando Bloom , wonderfully supported by Forest Whitaker , has perhaps never found a cinema complex role. The actor wants to continue in a more visceral way less superficial,. We can only encourage.
MYTF1News: What was your reaction to reading the script?
Orlando Bloom: Jérôme (Salle) had advised me to read the novel by Caryl Ferey. Not because he was bad, but not mislead me: with its writer Julien Rappeneau, he had made ​​many changes. The script excited me and required of me as a challenge. I jumped at the opportunity to play a character like Brian who carries the weight of a culture. He separated from his wife, to live with the legacy of his father and made ​​with his inner demons, his addiction to drugs, alcohol, drugs and women. We had not yet offered me roles such as "Zulu".
How did you work this character?
OB: I worked a lot on the voice, gestures, physical. I transformed physically to be credible in the South African skin. I also read a lot of alarming statistics on the condition of cops there, some do not hesitate to commit suicide in despair and their incomes are too low to risk-taking. This is really the question "Zulu" pose and highlights: what can tempt a man to become a cop in South Africa? Compounding this problem of racial tension that still latent. What I liked is that this character cop is not so outraged. There is a redemptive quest home he longs for forgiveness even if it is not easy, even if the violence back constantly to his condition.
How did you feel about filming in South Africa?
OB: It was necessary to turn to South Africa to be credible, foster immersion. Cape Town is a bubble that does not actually reflect the state of the country. Similarly, hope and peace there are fragile and what you feel on the spot is that this hope comes from people. Nelson Mandela has done a lot for them and I hope that when it is no longer of this world, this spirit will continue.
You aspire to more complex roles now?
OB: This is the age that does it. I am 36 years old now, I am a father, filled, happy. The experiences of "Lord of the Rings" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" are great because they were rewarding me, formative. I could not play in "Zulu" in 20 years. I needed a higher density in the game, more experienced. And all that I want, through roles like this is progress. Based on my knowledge would be the biggest mistake of my career. I want to continue to amaze.

Thanks, Rene. I hope Orlando continues to amaze, to take risks as an actor. With the risks come growth and maturity in the profession. That's a great thing to aspire to.

Thanks Sunstar for bringing over the interview. I definitely want to see Zulu and hope it will show in theatres in Canada. I have a feeling that Orlando will do a terrific job as Brian in Zulu. The storyline sounds very intriguing. I have enjoyed watching all of Orlando's movies. He is a talented and a terrific actor and look forward to seeing what his next projects will be.

That was a great interview and I also hope Orlando gets to do more complex roles like Brian Epkeen which is why I want to see this movie so badly to see Orlando tackle a role like this one. But I guess the only way I will get to see it is when it comes out on DVD.

As anyone heard or read about the possibility of Zulu coming to On Demand?

Thank you very much Rene for posting the interview. :hug:

Kim

Does anyone know if Zulu will be showing in theatres in Canada? Also I had a question to ask about when Orlando read the part of Romeo in the LA Philharmonics. Was that LA Philharmonics with Orlando ever put on DVD? It would be great to see Orlando in that and so I was wondering if that is available to see.

Does anyone know if Zulu will be showing in theatres in Canada?

There's no news about the release date for Canada yet, Kimberley. These are the dates listed on IMDb so far:

France 4 December 2013

Greece 9 January 2014

Netherlands 16 January 2014

Was that LA Philharmonics with Orlando ever put on DVD? It would be great to see Orlando in that and so I was wondering if that is available to see.

I've searched for this a few times and not found anything. It's not listed at the LA Phil Store.

20minutes.fr - Google translation:

Orlando Bloom changes image in "Zulu"

CINEMA - Orlando Bloom plays a cop tortured by demons in the brilliant "Zulu" by Jérôme Salle ...

King of the Elves from Lord of the Rings and the hunk of Pirates Caribbean are missing in Zulu . Orlando Bloom has a new look to embody a cop fighting against demons and brutal bandits in this breathless thriller Jérôme Salle. Meeting.

Were you aware scan your hero image in Zulu ?

Absolutely! Although I consider being a cop in South Africa is truly heroic ... These men face real violence on a daily basis at the peril of their lives. It has nothing to do with the fictional universe in which I made myself known.

Why this change in your career?

It was time to see me as a man and as a twink in physique. Since I became a father, I want to evolve, that does not mean that I deny my past, far from it. It was just time to start me a new challenge. It was a way to reach adulthood after professionally matured personally.

How did you prepare for the role?

I'm kind of need to do gradually get into my character. I focused on the body language of the man. I noticed that South Africans have a very manly way to get around as if to illustrate one of their mottos: "A cowboy never cries in front of his horse." This maxim became mine during the entire shoot.

Was it painful to embody the wounded man?

This is the kind of character that we do not get rid when you go to bed after a day's work! It really sticks to the skin. I was happy to leave turn The Hobbit after Zulu because it gave me a nice breath of fresh air. I felt like turning on the light with a switch when I left this character.

What do you want now?

I dream to experience so exhilarating experience that terrify me. I need to be afraid to feel alive. But I can not imagine what would make me freak today after turning Zulu and starring in " Romeo and Juliet "on a Broadway stage.

- Caroline Vié

A bewildering shock

Zulu first it was incredible novel Caryl Férey (Black / Series Gallimard). A bewildering shock Jérôme Salle has return to the screen. It immediately takes up the cause of these two cops (Orlando Bloom and Forest Whitaker) swept into a deadly gear during an investigation into the murder of a girl. South Africa post-apartheid is a character full of this intense thriller won by two brilliant actors who spares no respite to the viewer.

I need to see this movie! All the press, even translated from French, is getting me excited about this new role of Orlando's.

Thanks so much for these interviews and the featurettes, Rene!

Thanks, Rene. I loved this Orlando quote from the interview: "But I can not imagine what would make me freak today after turning Zulu and starring in ' Romeo and Juliet' on a Broadway stage." I'm eager to see Orlando inhabit Brian's skin and bring him to life on screen.

The more I read about Orlando's character, Brian Epkeen and Zulu the more I want to see this movie! :w00t:

Please bring this movie our way soon so we can see Orlando as Brian Epkeen. :comeon:

Thank you very much Rene for posting that interview. :hug:

Kim

Here's a great interview from Paris Match (another Google translation with a few corrections):

Orlando Bloom, the big boom

December 02, 2013

AN INTERVIEW WITH CHRISTINE HAAS

"Lord of the Rings" to "Pirates of the Caribbean 'actor is all sagas. But at age 36, the British star discusses denser roles. With "Zulu" by Jérôme Salle, in early December, and on stage on Broadway in "Romeo and Juliet", he shows an unexpected face.

Orlando Bloom receives the Richard Rodgers Theater in New York, where he played "Romeo and Juliet" until next January. His son Flynn, 2 years old, runs through the theater with an imaginary sword to challenge to a duel actors of the troupe are rehearsing their roles. His big black dog, Sidi, lay down on stage and decor fits around him when he refuses to budge. In his box, the actor prepares sipping green tea in a small thermos red that reads "I love NYC" and chews "food for the brain" as he speaks. His fans came out in droves for this adaptation of Shakespeare in American sauce. The audience is predominantly female and whistles fuse in the room when Orlando off his shirt for the big love scene. At the end of the representation, a minivente auction is organized for the benefit of research for AIDS. As a birthday gift, a girl wins Orlando Bloom's t-shirt, sold for $ 700. Blushing, she went on stage to remove!

Paris Match. With "Zulu", your last film, it is far from beautiful romantic kids that you usually play. You were hungry for such a role?

Orlando Bloom. Yes. When I read the script, I was struck by the character of cop dilapidated, drug and daredevil. I had never played anything like it. I was ready to invest myself fully and Jérôme Salle felt my enthusiasm. What I like in the film is that its vision is the reality of South Africa, but it was not stylized violence, or attempted to make glamourous.

How do you explain that you have never before had the opportunity to play such a strong role?

For ten years I am torn between two popular sagas, "The Lord of the Rings" and "Pirates of the Caribbean". Even though I took the opportunity to make appearances in films by Ridley Scott and Oliver Stone, I settled in a register and nobody bothered to imagine that I could play something else.

You are a victim of preconceptions?

Inevitably, after so many years of blockbusters! I only really realized after the last "Pirates". In my defense, I was very young when I started and I knew nothing about the film industry. I was revealed overnight and it took me some time to understand how to develop a career.

This is a trap, a successful blockbuster?

It's like being on a huge ship that travels in a specific direction. We must slow down, stop, turn around to go back in another direction. This is not as easy as you think. If necessary, I am ready to sink the ship to continue on a small boat with lighter and faster engine ... But I need that it pushes me.

So turn with Jérôme Salle is a step in the right direction?

Of course. I became an actor by taste of freedom. Jerome and trusted me, saying: "There is no studio for us curb, nobody to stop us from doing exactly what you want. So let's get to the bottom! "And this is the kind of encouragement that being an actor is exciting.

You took the time to visit South Africa to better understand the world of film?

I arrived six weeks before filming to get familiar with the Afrikaner. I spent time in Cape Town with police officers to capture the tension in which they operate. I learned that in the 2000s, about 500 police officers who died in one year, half had committed suicide! Being a cop, there is a thankless job, overwhelming and hopeless.

"I AM THE FRUIT OF A GREAT ARTISTIC STIMULATION! " ORLANDO BLOOM

You dynamitez kind of "buddy movie" with Forest Whitaker. How it happened?

Forest Whitaker is the film Zulu. His story is tragic, and I play his very disturbed partner. Both stories take place in parallel and summarize conflicts of South Africa today: learn to differentiate forgiveness from oblivion. We spend quite some time together on the screen, but when you see us we understand that these two men respect and friendship for each other.

Your character is hard to accept. This is a problem that you identify?

I went through a difficult period, like all adolescents. I was dyslexic, pretty miserable at school. And later by the braggart on a gutter, I fell from the third floor and I broke vertebrae ... I almost finished in a wheelchair. But after surgery and several months of rehabilitation, I found the use of my legs. I learned the hard way that I was vulnerable.

What made you become an actor?

I grew up in Canterbury, a city rich in history, with its magnificent cathedral and street performances that I spent hours watching. Thanks to my mother, who is a writer, I discovered the music, literature. And very soon I projected in the characters of TV series like "Miami Vice". I started doing theater, and at age 16, I left school and moved to London to join the National Youth Theatre. I am the fruit of a great artistic stimulation!

You are filing for the first time on Broadway in a contemporary adaptation of "Romeo and Juliet". You read the reviews?

No, because they do not help me. I will read later. But, whatever the critics think, this experience has changed me. I felt that I opened myself to something deeper, more authentic, because the theater does not allow chewed. I feel that each performance feeds me. And I am proud to have had the courage to go on stage.

Shakespeare, when you're British, it's an obligation?

It is an obligation as an actor! His pieces are made with the same fabric of reality and human emotions. There is such truth, such a purity in his text! But landing the role of Romeo was not easy, you thought I was too old, too this, too that ...

Racial problem that lies at the heart of "Zulu" is found in the room where your Juliet is black. This is a subject dear to your heart?

Of course. The husband of my mother, Harry Bloom, I found out that was not my biological father at the age of 13, fought apartheid alongside Mandela before fleeing his country to settle in Britain. I did not really know him because he died when I was 4 years old. But he remained alive in my mind and I honored his memory by taking his fight against racism.

At 36, you have the feeling of being at a crossroads in your life?

Yes, clearly. I open a new chapter in my life in many ways. I feel more mature, more self-confident and ready to move forward. I also made a number of changes in my private life [He separated in October Miranda Kerr.] This is a time both exciting and very practical. I can see clearer.

Port_EvaSakellarides_01.jpg

Very thoughtful interview with Orlando. And definitely good on him for having the courage to try the stage. He has grown from the experience and will be a more creative and better actor for it. Parts like the one in Zulu will help him achieve the growth and acting depth he wants to realize.

Thanks for providing, Rene.

I agree with you Barbara, that was a great interview and playing Brian Epkeen in Zulu and Romeo on stage are definitely giving him that experience and growth that he is looking for.

I also enjoyed the parts where they mentioned Flynn and Sidi. :heart:

Thank you so much Rene for posting this interview. :hug:

Kim

Thank you Sunstar. That was an interesting interview ( and a very nice picture ) but I wonder what he really said here -"because the theater does not allow chewed." :teehee:

T. :tree4: