Sunstar

113 posts in this topic

This movie was mentioned on Twitter a few days ago:

Twitter exclusive : ZULU by Jerome Salle with Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou #Pathe#2013

Here are the Google translations of articles from AlloCine:

Jerome Hall directs Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou

Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou will be reunited on camera by Jérôme Salle for "Zulu", an adaptation of Caryl Ferey mystery novel whose action takes place in the townships of South Africa.

This is from mid-July, in Cape Town, South Africa, as Jerome Hall , director of the saga Largo Winch , turn Zulu , an adaptation of the bestselling novel by Caryl Ferey published by Editions Gallimard. In front of his camera, we will find Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou . Embody these two officers, one black and one white, chasing the murderer of a teenage girl. The townships of Cape Town luxury villas to the seaside, this survey revolutionize the lives of two men and force them to confront their inner demons. Co-written by Julien Rappeneau and Jérôme Salle , Zulu is a co Eskwad / Pathe.

And Excessif:

Jerome Hall will adapt the novel Zulu in the lead roles Djimon Hounsou and Orlando Bloom.

After the two Largo Winch , director Jerome Salle will tackle a new adaptation of the bestseller Caryl Férey, Zulu . A film with international accents since the shooting will take place next summer in South Africa, venue of the plot of the novel, and with Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou . History of Zulu takes place in South Africa yet haunted by apartheid. We follow two cops, one black and one white, in pursuit of the murderer of a young adolescent. An investigation that will lead our two inspectors of the Townships of Capetown to luxurious seaside villas but mainly affect personally, leading them to confront their inner demons. Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou join Jerome Hall in mid-July on the set film whose screenplay was cowritten by the director and Julien Rappeneau. A production of Zulu , we find Richard Grandpierre Eskwad for collaboration with Pathé.

Zulu , published in 2008 by Gallimard, Caryl Férey has earned numerous awards including the Grand Prize of crime fiction and the readers of The Grand Prix 2009.

Wow, that sounds very interesting and I hope it all works out because I would love to see Orlando doing a film like this and working with Djimon Hounsou. I remember him in Amistad and Blood Diamond and he and Orlando would make a powerful twosome to watch. :2thumbs:

Thank you very much Rene for bringing this over. :hug:

Kim

I hope this film gets made. I really like Djimon Hounsou. It would be really cool to see Orlando in a film with him.

Thanks for the exciting news, Rene!

Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou will be reunited

Have they every done anything together before? I can't think of anything. :hmmm:

Thanks for the update, Rene! :highfive: I'm for Orlando doing ANY film he finds worthy, as long as I get to see it. :lookie:

- Pam -

Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou will be reunited

Have they every done anything together before? I can't think of anything. :hmmm:

I don't think they have worked together before, Pam. Google's translation of 'seront réunis' is 'will be reunited', but I checked another site today and their translation is 'will be met'.

Screen Daily

Jérôme Salle to direct Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou in Zulu

Director of Anthony Zimmer and The Burma Conspiracy adapts compatriot Caryl Férey’s crime novel Zulu set in post-Apartheid South Africa.

French director Jérôme Salle will direct Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou as two South African police officers in his upcoming feature Zulu.

Richard Grandpierre of Eskwad has confirmed he is producing the feature alongside Pathé as co-producers. Pathé International is handling sales.

The picture is based on French author Caryl Férey’s award winning crime novel Zulu, set against the backdrop of post-apartheid South Africa.

Bloom and Hounsou will play two Cape Town police officers with roots on either side of the apartheid divide, working together to fight lawlessness in the city in a post-apartheid era.

Salle has adapted the novel alongside longtime collaborator Julien Rappeneau, with whom he also co-wrote The Burma Conspiracy and Largo Winch pictures.

The film is scheduled to start shooting in South Africa, mainly in Cape Town, in July.

It sounds like it is actually happening and not just rumor. :2thumbs:

Also, this makes me think of Orlando's Stepfather, Harry Bloom who was from South Africa and fought against Apartheid, so I think it is great that Orlando is doing this film and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one the reasons why he decided to do it.

Thank you very much Rene for the article from Screen Daily. :hug:

Kim

Thanks for providing, Rene. I am really excited about this film, and look forward to hearing more about it once filming is under way.

Anyway this sounds like a serious dramatic role and dealing with tough subject matter. Exciting! :cool_beans:

I'm there with you, BlueGem! I am really excited about this project. He's been choosing interesting character roles the past couple of years and this might be something that will open up other doors for him.

I am also excited to see that filming will be starting in July and it will be done on location in South Africa. :thumbsup:

I also agree with you Lisa about him choosing to do another interesting character role that will show off his acting talents once again. :)

Kim

This article from The Movies includes the official synopsis:

<snip>

The film will be an adaptation of Caryl Férey’s 2010 novel of the same name, which sees two Cape Town police officers, Ali Neuman and Brian Epkeen (Honsou and Bloom, respectively), investigating the murder of 18 year old Nicole Wiese. What complicates the matter is that Nicole is the daughter of a 1995 World Cup winning Springbok rugby player (Kobus?) resulting in a media circus around the case. And as the pair investigate further, they uncover a greater mystery with roots in South Africa’s Apartheid history.

The film is being directed by French film maker Jérôme Salle, whose previous works include Largo Winch and it’s sequel The Burma Conspiracy. Angeline Jolie and Johnny Depp’s flaccid film The Tourist, was actually an English language adaptation of Salle’s earlier and far superior film Anthony Zimmer. Salle has already adapted the gritty and often violent novel.

The official studio synopsis for the film reads as follows:

As a child, Ali Neuman narrowly escaped being murdered by Inkhata, a militant political party at war with Nelson Mandela’s African National Congress. Only he and his mother survived the carnage of those years. But as with many survivors, the psychological scars remain. Today, Ali is chief of the homicide branch of the South African police in Cape Town. One of his staff is Brian Epkeen, a free-wheeling white officer whose family was originally involved in the establishment of apartheid but who works well with Neuman. Together they have to deal with crime that inevitably exists in sprawling areas of un -and under- employed people, crime exacerbated by gangs, both local and from other parts of Africa. Their job gets even more difficult when the corpses of two young women are found. A new evil has been introduced in the city and a new drug has been introduced to its residents, including both murder victims. At the chaotic crossroads where brutality and modernization collide, the echoes of apartheid still resound in the shadows of a society struggling toward reconciliation.

<snip>

This sounds really exciting and once again, a very different part for Orlando to play. :2thumbs:

I can't wait to see this movie and to see Orlando working with Djimon. :cheer2:

Thank you very much Rene for bringing over this latest article. :hug:

Kim

Wow this sounds like a great project. :thumbsup: I hope it does happen and Orlando does do the movie. I think Djimon Honsou is a great actor and it will be interesting to see Orlando working with him. Thanks Rene for the recent articles and updates. And Kim, I think you're right and it wouldn't surprise me if Harry Bloom's activism in South Africa played some part in Orlando taking the role.

I hope my local bookstores or my library has the Zulu book. It would be fun to read it before the movie comes out (and picture Orlando when reading about his character. :shiny: )

This would be a major step for Orlando and the direction of his career. I have no doubt that he would be great in the role, and it would open a lot of eyes.

I read some book reviews of the novel on which the movie will be based and they all stressed the graphic violence in the story. Some reviewers even said they had trouble finishing it because of that. But, they also said it was a gripping and compelling story. I'll be curious to see how this translates to film.

Thanks Rene for bringing this over and it looks like an interesting part for Orlando to play. I have liked the films that Djimon Honsou has done, so Orlando getting to work with him is awsome! :cheer2:

reeceehorses :thumbsup:

Djimon Hounsou has been replaced by Forest Whitaker and Tanya van Graan got a role in the film.

Here are two recent tweets by Tanya:

It's official I got a part in the film "Zulu" playing opposite Orlando Bloom also starring Forest Whitaker!!★ #soBlessed ☺

. . . Filming starts end of Sept.

Promising. Fingers crossed! Thanks Rene!

Aliza

You're singing my song, Aliza! It is so good to have this positive up-date. Thanks Rene.

Finally an update on Zulu and I am absolutely thrilled about Forest Whitaker and I can't wait to see Orlando and Forest together in this movie! :cheer2:

This also makes me remember those pictures of Orlando and Forest hanging out together during an After Oscar Party a couple of years ago when Forest won the Oscar for The Last King of Scotland. :)

Here are couple of those pictures from the Vanity Fair Party and they are from the gallerie.

VanityFair07_14s.jpgVanityFair07_15s.jpg

Thank you so much Rene for this most exciting news! :hug:

Kim