ka-Bloom.org Forum

The Hobbit: It's Official Part 2

More information on the set located about 66 km northwest of Queenstown (in a remote place called Paradise, if you can believe it) are trickling out along with the Orlando sightings .

<snip>A location manager this morning told a Southland Times photographer that he could not stop photos being taken, but traffic control permits received for shooting periods meant photographing the set would be difficult when shooting commenced. Resource consents granted to the production company indicate shooting could begin today and continue until Monday.

Work on the large set had progressed since last week, with rambling vegetable gardens and flower beds now planted outside the three-storey, stone-finished, thatch-roofed homestead, which has a huge replica tree guy-wired in front of it.

Fences visible in the above photo were not to keep prying eyes out, but to keep animals to be used in the scene contained, the location manager said.

.With animals, could this set be Beorn's place or Radagast's? We had some nice, official photos of the dwarves - can one of the re-assembled elves be next?

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes! That's what I've been waiting to hear. When I clicked on the link, I saw he was wearing the trucker hat again. :cool_beans: Now that really takes me back. Thanks for keeping us informed, HeySailor.

When you mentioned the trucker cap, I had to go back and take a look. Don't think I remember seeing that one before. The only one that sticks in my mind is the yellow 3M Automotive one :damncap: - and coincidentally, there is a used one at eBay today. Vintage, the seller is calling it.

Okay, this is all exciting news. But if Orlando is leaving in 10 days does that mean his part is going to be done, or is it just a leave of absence until his next shooting block? Curious minds want to know. I wonder when they'll shoot the 'Battle of Five Armies'? Surely, Legolas will be in that. I can't imagine they won't put his Elf skills to considerable use in those scenes.

I'm going to say the set spoken of in the article is Rhosgobel, Radagast's homestead near the southern borders of Mirkwood. He is said to have preferred the company of birds and beasts rather than the people (Elves & Men) of Middle-earth whom he was sent to aid in their struggles to overcome Sauron. In Valinor he was known as Aiwendil, which means 'bird-friend'.

Not that I would disagree with your logic Adrianne, but I am guessing it is Beorn's place. I think we can assume Radagast is mostly in the 'what Gandalf was doing while he was gone' section, but I can't imagine needing his house for that. We shall see. (Patience was never my strong point.)

As for Orlando, didn't he say in one of the interviews that he would be going back to New Zealand 'a couple of times'? So there should be more after this spell.

T.

As for Orlando, didn't he say in one of the interviews that he would be going back to New Zealand 'a couple of times'? So there should be more after this spell.

T.

Yes, Tahiri, that was also my understanding. He was to do work on 'The Hobbit' then come back to do 'Cities' and then back to NZ. Filming schedules don't always seem to be set in stone, but I am expecting Orlando to be to-ing and fro-ing to NZ next year. Please, let it be so.

I agree that he will be toing and froing from the set as his part is being filmed in bits and pieces. He and Miranda were looking at houses at one point, so I was thinking they would be staying for at least one big chunk together.

But who knows, it's all speculation.

We just wants to see us some elvses. Is that too much to ask?

And though I respect Adrianne's wisdom and believe her to be a Tolkien scholar of the first water, I'm thinking that Tahiri may be right about the Beorn house. Never the less, we probably will have to wait another 13 months before we knows for sure.

Thanks for the news everybody.

:grouphug:

Aliza

Excuse the double post, I just saw Elijah Wood on the Colbert Report (from Tuesday 11-15, available on the Comedy Central Web Site here's a link) and even though he was on the show to promote Happy Feet 2, there was a little bit of Hobbit content as Steven Colbert is a major LOTR geek. It's worth a gander because he was absolutely adorable.

Aliza

Yeah, I'm thinking you both might be right, Tahiri and Aliza. After all, Beorn had a lot of wonderful and talented animals running around his compound. I wish I could find the picture of the house they were building on that set. I'd like to look at it again.

I need to go to bed. Thanks for the report about Elijah on the Colbert Report, Aliza. Elijah is always adorable. I didn't know Mr. Colbert was a Tolkien Geek.

I didn't know Mr. Colbert was a Tolkien Geek.

I knew that a few months ago. Colbert had James Franco on his show and they were quizzing each other to see who was the bigger Tolkien geek. :teehee:

I just can't wait until we see a picture of King Thranduil and his son, Prince Legolas! :cheer2:

Listening to you all back and forth and toing and froing cracks me up! I have no idea what you're talking about but it is amusing. Tolkein is too detailed for my ADD brain!

Amen to that! :wink2: I tried to read LOTR and got about a quarter of the way through TTT. Sigh. Maybe some day. In any event, it doesn't mean that I can't thoroughly enjoy the movies. And I am way excited for The Hobbit. Thanks for keeping us updated ladies. I look here every day for any sign of a photo of our favorite elf. :sigh:

~Mandy~

Benedict Cumberbatch talks The Hobbit while promoting a different project to Collider:

Collider: So what's it like to voice Smaug in The Hobbit?

Cumberbatch: I'm playing Smaug, I mean I'm physicalizing him as a dragon I'm not just doing the voiceover, so it'll be a physical role which I'm no stranger to. I did Frankenstein at the beginning of the year with Danny Boyle at the National Theater and playing the creature in that was a very full on and sort of corporeal experience. I can't wait, but the conversations have yet to start really in earnest because they've been doing the first film and I've been doing the second series of Sherlock and another series which I'm working on now called Parade's End for HBO and BBC with Tom Stoppard, and Rebecca Hall co-starring, so it's a world away but come a month's time we'll start conversations probably like you and I are having down the line. I've already started working out and doing various movement exercises to get myself limber for that all-important jump suit with balls on it, otherwise known as motion-capture. But I can't wait, I'm really excited. I go to film it in January.

More news from Paradise,courtesy of an on-location reporter.

The old giant beech tree which prompted Sir Peter Jackson and 450 cast and crew members to film a scene for The Hobbit near Paradise, beyond Glenorchy and Queenstown, survived for a century until a storm blew it down six weeks ago. This, however, was a Hobbit-sized problem in the grand scheme of issues for the Academy Award-winning screenwriter-producer-director in his bid to deliver Hobbit adventures to the world. <snip>

We came down about six months ago to choose the exact spot where this house was going to get built, and one of the reasons why it's being built where it was is because of this amazing tree that we had standing right there," Sir Peter said.

"The tree we thought would be great to have right in the front of yard of the house was there for 100 years until six weeks ago, when it got blown over in the wind.

"So we had to build a fake one." <snip>

"Generally, you spend three, four, five days in one place because often you're only shooting one or two scenes there and because The Hobbit is a story of a quest, it's a travelling story, so virtually every scene takes place further along on the journey.

"It's a continuously changing landscape we're looking for." <snip>

Sir Ian McKellen was in full Gandalf the Grey costume and make-up on the green screen set.

Sir Peter's voice was heard giving directions on loudspeaker, but he was out of sight in a tent, viewing monitors attached to the 3-D cameras, being used for the first time in Middle-earth.

On the command "And action", everyone was silent as Gandalf walked slowly, staff in hand, down green-screen covered steps and the runway-like platform to stand beside a green-screen pole and ball and talk to Beorn (Mikael Persbrandt).

Monitors watched by crew members revealed how Gandalf and Beorn appeared to be standing on one of the adjacent physical sets, which featured an oversized workshop and barn, tools and a vegetable garden between real and fake trees.

Other two-storey-high sets included a scrub-covered gate and bee hives on shelves in an open-sided building with tussock on the roof.

I was struck by the slightly surreal sight of Martin Freeman, dressed as Bilbo Baggins, with all 13 Dwarves, in full regalia, trudging down the incline from the rustic oversized set.<snip>

Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn, 13 dwarves and no mention of The Elf. It's a shame about the beech

Amazing stuff! I'm so sad about that beech tree. It must have been magnificent. I'm so excited about this movie and the more we hear and read and see, the more exciting it gets. Thank you so much, Jill for your diligence in bringing us the latest tidbits. I'm sure the Elf is not far ahead.