HeySailor

Cities

The New York Times has added a new NZ-UK film project to Orlando's filmography (they get their info from Baseline and it hasn't always come to fruition). "Cities" at this point stars Clive Owen (Ivan Collins), Anil Kapoor (Vishnu), Orlando Bloom (Alan Patterson), Kirstin Dunst (Kate Madigan). Directed by Roger Donaldson who also wrote the screenplay with Ken Friedman and Michael Lewis and Ken [sic](Glenn) Wilhide, it will film in NYC, London and Mumbai. The locations make sense when you read the synopsis at imdb:

A thriller that brings together three different stories from London, Mumbai, and New York as the Dow Jones nears an all time high.
This financial thriller has an ensemble cast and follows three separate stories on the same day, a day in which the Dow reaches an all-time high. Ah, the Good Old Days. From various other sources and articles, Kapoor is a Mumbai policeman fighting against the corrupt relationship between property speculators and the police force. The Hollywood Reporter pegs Owen as a wealthy New York hedge fund manager. The other story revolves around a young couple trying to buy their first home in London. :hmmm: Who could that be? Other than Dan Hubbard (casting) and NYT, there is no mention of the actors for the young couple roles. October and November filming had been mentioned and not confirmed and the timeline is subject to change.

Dan Hubbard (who also worked on LOTR) gave a September interview which sheds some light (credit to kirsten-chat for pointing me there):

<snip>Can you give us a sneak-peek into some of your current projects?

DH- I am currently working on film called 'The Number's Station' starring John Cusack and Malin Ackerman. It's kind of like Bourne Ultimatum meets Assault On Precinct 13. 'Cities', which is movie starring Clive Owen, Kirsten Dunst, and Orlando Bloom, being Directed by Roger Donaldson.

The producers and distribution companies are also given here: Production Crew.

Clive Owen gave Collider an interview at the Torornto International Film Festival in which he mentions this upcoming film project:

<snip>You are attached to a film called Cities. Is that something that you might be doing?

Owen: Yes. That is still not definitely confirmed, but it is something that I am interested in doing.

That is an interesting concept.

Owen: It is. I play a very serious hedge funder, who gets a bit over confident.

So in early Septmber, Clive was not yet comfirmed and Orlando wasn't listed at imdb (which hadn't been updated since May). Keep a weather eye on the horizon.

I agree about the intriguing part. Thanks, Jill. I will indeed keep a weather eye out. An Orlando Bloom-Kirsten Dunst reunion. I like that.

I also like the sound of this. I can't see 'October/November' happening, but with Hobbit filming split up it could well be possible to alternate with another film.

Thanks Jill.

T.

This sounds very exciting and I am also thrilled about the possibility that Orlando might be working with Kirsten Dunst again, maybe they are playing the young couple looking for a new home in London. :cheer2:

Well, I hope this works out and that we get confirmation about Orlando's involvement very soon. :)

Thank you Jill for bringing over this exciting news. :hug:

Kim

This sounds interesting and it would be great to see Orlando and Kirsten in another movie. Thanks, Jill.

An Orlando Bloom-Kirsten Dunst reunion. I like that.

A Great Big Ditto on that, Barbara! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jill.

I noticed this movie was mentioned in The Mail interview with Orlando, so this sounds like it is actually happening, so that means Orlando and Kirsten will be teaming up again in the near future! :cheer2:

Kim

It's unusual for The New York Times movie page to be a whole month ahead of The Hollywood Reporter, and to be accurate as well. Cities looks like it is officially a confirmed new project for Orlando, worthy of its own thread

Kirsten Dunst, Orlando Bloom Join Clive Owen in Roger Donaldson's 'Cities'

The international thriller, which already includes Owen and Anil Kapoor, shoots in London, Mumbai and New York in 2012.

Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom have joined the cast of the international thriller Cities. Clive Owen and Anil Kapoor also star for writer-director Roger Donaldson and producers Matthew Metcalfe and Chris Curling. Filming is scheduled to begin in the spring in London, Mumbai and New York.Cities takes place in the months before the Dow Jones stock-market high, intertwining the stories of characters around the globe including a New York hedge fund manager, a Mumbai policeman and a couple looking to buy a home in London.

"Cities is very much a movie for our time," said Donaldson. "The subjects of greed and money and their impact on our every day lives surround us constantly, and Cities is a movie that will explore this in a dramatic way with tension and excitement at every turn."

Eyeworks New Zealand is partnering on the production, and CEO Julie Christie is an executive producer. UTA's Independent Film Group helped to package the film and structure the financing; the agency will rep domestic rights with CAA. Parlay Films is handling international rights.<snip>

Let the cheering commence.:cheer2: Note in the headline - shoots in 2012.

Let the cheering commence.:cheer2: Note in the headline - shoots in 2012.

Orlando and Kirsten! May I join the cheering? :cheer2: What fabulous news, thank you Jill.

Other news outlets are running with the story. ComingSoon has added SPRING 2012 to the story and the IndieNewsWire predicts that this film will be heavily promoted at the AFM (American Film Market) in southern California next week.

<snip>The producers have caught Dunst in a new phase of her career and on a tremendous uptick. With raves coming in for her turn in Lars Von Trier's "Melancholia," and with roles in Walter Salles' "On The Road" and the sci-fi romance "Upside Down" on the way, this is another intriguing project from an actress who is really making some interesting choices. As for Bloom, this may be the best film he's had since "Elizabethtown," though in the facial hair department, nothing will top his work in "The Three Musketeers." The wildcard here is Donaldson who can swing widely from solid fare like "Thirteen Days," "No Way Out" and "The Bank Job" to decidedly slummier stuff like the upcoming Nic Cage thriller "Justice" or the bloated "Dante's Peak." But with talent and premise here, we're optimistic and it should be a hot ticket at the American Film Market next week where it will be looking for buyers. <snip>
They're excited, too!

:yahoo:YES! :yahoo:

This is so exciting and I can't wait to see Orlando working with Kirsten again! :cheer2:

Thank you so much Jill for this very exciting news! :hug:

Kim

Thanks for the news Jill. If this one really happens, I'm hopeful it will be high profile.

I'm not letting myself get excited yet. There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip, many times we've had movie roles confirmed only to have changes down the road. I hope this one does make it theaters with Orlando in the role, but we've been burnt a time or two by now to let my excitement run away with me.

:hug:

Aliza

This sounds like a great project, and I certainly hope it happens. I have to admit this quote from IndieNews Wire made me blink, then smile.

'As for Bloom, this may be the best film he's had since "Elizabethtown,"'

I knew he gave a great performance, but I wasn't sure they did. :wink2:

Orlando and Kirsten together again. :cheer2: Thank you so much, Jill, for bringing over this great and exciting news. :hug:

I saw this report on the Huffington Post but since the article also listed films that Orlando has already denied being in, I brushed it off.

But this sounds promising.

I love the graduation from hunk of the moment to actor. The sad thing is, and yes, this is a small rant, I hate seeing the morons declaring, "well, he hasn't done anything since X, Y, or Z, so who cares."

Yes he has, and he's a better actor for those indie efforts.

Falling off the soapbox,

Spanky

The sad thing is, and yes, this is a small rant, I hate seeing the morons declaring, "well, he hasn't done anything since X, Y, or Z, so who cares."

Yes he has, and he's a better actor for those indie efforts.

Falling off the soapbox,

Spanky

Hi Spanky! :wave:

That is why I stay clear of those articles because I know the critics will never change and they will always have to put in their little digs no matter how great his performances are. So I don't even bother with them.

:hug:

Kim

Cities is still alive. Variety is reporting that Dominic Cooper is in final negotiations to replace Clive Owen, who has dropped out because of "scheduling issues." The article mentions Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst and "filming this spring."

<snip>Dominic Cooper has entered final negotiations to join the cast of writer-director Roger Donaldson's international thriller "Cities."

Cooper will replace Clive Owen in the pic, and his casting calls into question his availability for Albert Hughes' action-thriller "Motor City." Owen was forced to drop out of the project due to scheduling issues.

Cooper joins Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst and Anil Kapoor in the film, which takes place in the months before the Dow Jones stock-market high and intertwines the stories of characters around the globe, including a New York hedge fund manager, a Mumbai police officer and a couple who are house-hunting in London.

Matthew Metcalfe and Chris Curling are producing "Cities," while Eyeworks New Zealand CEO Julie Christie will exec produce. UTA's Independent Film Group helped package the film and structure the financing, and the agency will rep domestic rights with CAA. Parlay Films is handling international rights to the pic, which starts filming this spring in London, Mumbai and Gotham.<snip>

Cooper is currently filming "Summer in February," a 7-week shoot that started January 15th.

Thanks again for the news Jill. Not sure that Dominic Cooper can "replace" Clive Owen. :wink2:

Aliza

Good news that it's a go, and Orlando remains involved. Thanks, Jill, for providing.

Wow, it looks like Orlando is going to be very busy, first he will be filming "Cities" in the Spring and then in July he will be filming "Zulu"! :cheer2:

Two more movies to look forward to and two new characters for us to get introduced to. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Jill for the update. :hug:

Kim

I would love to see Orlando in a movie with Dominic Cooper. This looks like an interesting plot, more character driven, it seems to me.

Thanks, Jill!

According to this article from Hindustan Times, shooting has been pushed back to October/November.

<snip>

Kapoor has got a new co-star, Dominic Cooper (of My Week With Marilyn fame), in Cities. Cooper replaces the Closer star Clive Owen. “As far as I know, Clive is no longer a part of the film since the dates were shifted ahead and he couldn’t accommodate them,” says Kapoor, adding that the film’s shooting has been pushed to October-November. The movie also stars Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst.