ka-Bloom.org Forum

"I AM" Sea Level Rise PSA from Global Green USA

Sunstar

Global Green

I AM . . .

Among other challenges, global warming is causing our sea levels to rise and putting our coastal cities -- and billions of people -- at risk across the globe. Global Green is working hard to protect these cities and other communities affected by climate change.

We are all in this together, and friends of Global Green are joining us in making a plea to help stop climate change, by demanding that our leaders invest in green technologies and green jobs now. You can also help us make a difference and guarantee a healthier future.

We asked friends of Global Green, including Mark Ruffalo, Adrian Grenier, Orlando Bloom, Serena Williams, Ed O'Neill, James Cameron, Nia Vardalos, Kyra Sedgwick, Kevin Bacon, Mark McGrath, Walton Goggins, Billy Morrison, and Ed Begley Jr., to help us work to make a difference fighting climate change.

That is a very powerful message and I hope it wakes up these people that still don't believe there is a problem and stop listening to these organizations like Exxon/Mobil. I am also not surprised to see Orlando taking part and I was glad to see Mark Ruffalo, Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon.

Thank you very much Rene for bringing this over. :hug:

Kim

Here's an article and pic from Green Girls:

globalgreeniam.jpg

Global Green USA Launches Global Warming “I AM” Campaign

Global Green USA today launched the I AM Campaign to raise awareness about the serious threats Americans face from rising sea levels, and challenge citizens to take action in their communities. Joined by actors, athletes and musicians including: Mark Ruffalo, Adrian Grenier, Orlando Bloom, Serena Williams, James Cameron, Billy Morrison, Mark McGrath, Kevin Bacon, and Kyra Sedgwick among others, I AM highlights coastal cities in the U.S. and the world from New Orleans to New York City, from Tokyo to Jakarta, from San Francisco to Boston; that are in danger due to sea level rise.

“One of the biggest risks we face with global warming is rising sea levels, which threaten our coastal cities where nearly half the American population lives” said Global Green President and CEO Matt Petersen. “We must demand that our leaders invest in green technologies and green jobs at the local level where many of the solutions to climate change can and must be implemented.”

The goal of the public awareness campaign is to engage individuals to take action to get their community to substantially reduce their greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming while creating green jobs and improving their local air quality.

“Global Green’s I AM Campaign is tackling one of the most critical threats facing our cities and the people who live in them,” said Mark Ruffalo. “I AM empowers people to show why they care about their cities, and what they are doing to help fight global warming. If everyone can join together to help put a face to the American victims of these pending disasters, we can help show our leaders why they must act now.”

Watch the video calling on people to join I AM: www.globalgreen.org/iam

THE “I AM…FIGHTING CLIMAGE CHANGE CHALLENGE The I AM Campaign asks people to send in a photo of themselves with a sign of the city or community they love that is threatened by global warming due to sea level rise, floods, droughts or more severe storms. All photo submissions will be featured on Global Green’s website with the caption “I AM…New Orleans,” or “I am…Miami,” etc. Along with their photo submission, people are asked to state what they are doing to reduce their global warming impact, stating "I AM taking a step today to reduce my carbon footprint by…” whether this is carpooling,, replacing light bulbs, or starting a community recycling program

All submissions will be entered into a chance to walk the Green Carpet at Global Green’s annual pre-Oscar party in Hollywood.

Actors, athletes and musicians taking part in the I AM campaign include: Mark Ruffalo, Adrian Grenier, Orlando Bloom, Serena Williams, Ed O’Neil, Walton Goggins, James Cameron, Nia Vardalos, Billy Morrison, Kyra Sedgwick, Kevin Bacon, Mark McGrath, Ed Begley, Jr.,

The campaign was conceived and co-written by Marshall Herskovitz and Matt Petersen, Produced by Storytellerz and Ruben Aronin and Directed by Paul Emami.

"I AM Boston" :throb:

I watched the video again and seeing that Boston was one of the cities mentioned definitely got to me. :quiver:

Well, this past spring and summer I have definitely seen the affects already with the natural disasters that has happened like Hurricane Irene along the East Coast, the flooding of the Mississippi River and the tornadoes in the Southern States and in Springfield and Monson, MA and then there is the drought in Texas. I couldn't help but wonder if this was all caused by climate change and now my suspicions have been confirmed by this PSA.

Thank you once again Rene for bringing over the video clip and the article & screencap of Orlando. :hug:

Kim

I am Chicago. Which is nowhere near a sea but is effected by climate change, nonetheless.

Every INCH of our planet is affected by climate change, Adrianne. It would be nice if everyone would realize that, too. *SIGH* Perhaps someday. :beatsme:

Meanwhile I walk around saying things like "flip off that light" and "you can recycle that" to everyone while the dirty or strange looks keep on coming. :pout:

Thank you, Rene, for getting this to us. Some really BIG stars and our gorgeous, generous one make this worth watching over and over for me. :cheesy:

I am Knoxville. :flex:

- Pam -

Thank you for the video and information, Rene. It's a very important message and I'm happy to see everyone who participated in this video give their time for an important cause. :2thumbs:

I received an email from Global Green about this and it had a picture of Mark Ruffalo holding up a sign that says "I AM NEW YORK", I couldn't help but wonder if they will eventually send Orlando over to San Francisco to for a picture? Of course this is just wishful thinking. :wink2:

On a side note the first time I watched it I "Woo-hoo"d when Orlando said San Francisco. :)

I have now had a chance to watch this and I agree that it is well done.

Thanks Sunstar.

For anyone considering the topic of rising sea levels I would recommend reading John Wyndham's famous novel 'The Kraken Wakes'. Although written in the 1950's when global warning hadn't been invented, and dealing with a more rapid sea level rise scenario, there are some very thought provoking descriptions in it.

T.