Sign in to follow this  
HeySailor

Chicago International Film Festival

Individual Tickets are on sale now for The Good Doctor at The Chicago Int. Film Festival. Here's the Ticketmaster link for internet orders. Seating is General and if you opt for free snail mail delivery (10-14 days) and add in their handling fees, each $20 ticket costs a shade under $26 ($25.80).

:gimme5: For those who want to make plans to meet up before and/or after the screening, we should start a thread int eh Members Only area. I'll be there.

:timeout: I've recently noticed a mistake in the synopsis of The Good Doctor posted at The Chicago Film Festival site. I hope it's a local mistake and not one made by the Good Doctor film people.
<snip>When the determined doctor unexpectedly falls prey to the seductive charms of his ward, he must choose between hypocrisy and the Hypocratic Oath.
That should be "Hippocratic" Oath. Unless this is another one of those American English words that is different from the Queen's English.

Have you ever wanted to shout "don't go into the basement" at the screen? This thriller had me squirming in a few spots, ready to give some unsolicited advice to the unlistening Dr. Blake. As a parent, I've been harping about making good choices to my boys for years and, remaining spoiler-free, Dr. Blake made MANY bad choices. The abrupt ending seemed rather European to me; I prefer everything to be wrapped up with a bow on top before The End appears. TGD certainly provides plenty of opportunities to discuss the various twists and turns. Down the row, one viewer said "Sequel" rather loudly at the ending. I think most of us were left wanting more. And I think that's a good thing. The comments in the departing crowd were all positive.

Our screening was pretty full but not Sold Out. I was rather excited to see an entire row marked with Reserved signs (so of course, I sat in the row immediately behind). I didn't recognize the director, producers or cast members in those seats - I hope a few of them were potential distributors. I really enjoyed TGD and wish that all of you will be able to see it - Big Screen or DVD, it's all good.

Keep in mind that this film is an indie, not a blockbuster, so the viewer is not hit over the head with Dr. Blake's backstory. You have to pay attention to the clues to understand why Dr. Blake is as he is. I suggest that those critics who complained watch the film a second time and pay closer attention!

The laboratory scenes got me rather miffed. They obviously hadn't consulted anyne who ventured into the lab farther than the doorway. I can't get into a "what's wrong with this picture?" discussion now and remain spoiler-free but, other than getting my goat, the inaccuracies shouldn't bother anyone who hasn't worked in a hospital clinical laboratory and the plot is relatively unaffected.

I really enjoyed Orlando's performance as he showed the dark side of his acting chops, sliding down the slippery slope towards the villany of The Duke. The few empty seats didn't dampen the audience mass reactions - the laughs, the gasps, the oh-nos and the WTFs. When Chief Pope the Police detective entered the scene, I half expected Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson to show up and nail Dr. Blake. But that's in the sequel. :teehee:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two Thumbs Up, invented in Chicago.